Solyndra - lock out this morning

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:10 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Tesla was going to be given money to build a plant, but when NUMI went down, that changed. I don't know if they ended up taking that money or not, but the money came from somewhere for them to cut the deal with Toyota. AFAIK, it is a similar deal to what GM had - Toyota owns it (or the land) but Tesla operates it.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:18 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by 04GG
Tesla was going to be given money to build a plant, but when NUMI went down, that changed. I don't know if they ended up taking that money or not, but the money came from somewhere for them to cut the deal with Toyota. AFAIK, it is a similar deal to what GM had - Toyota owns it (or the land) but Tesla operates it.
I know it was back and forth for a while but I'm pretty sure they ended up taking it.

I just did a search and came up with this one amongst like 25 others talking about Tesla and grants... this one mentions what Ford took.

So no Ford did not take the bail out but they did take a HUGE grant for electric tech research. I knew I read they took money somewhere... $6 BILLION.

Tesla, Ford, Nissan all receive electric car development loans from US government -- Engadget
Old 09-02-2011, 01:31 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
This is another classic example of how welfare does not work.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:36 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
This is another classic example of how welfare does not work.
My cousin sent me an article about some dude out in Alabama or some ****. Dude was like 24 years old. Had 9 kids. NINE kids. No job. Welfare check of $1500 a month for each kid. Plus all the other aid he could gather. Was bringing in $160,000 a year for free. And now that he died his kids will more than likely ALL get social security checks until they're 18 or someone else takes responsibility for them.

It's why I see Escalades on 26 inch rims with $8000 stereo systems in them all over the place in Watsonville.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:57 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

AFAIK, you have to pay welfare back once you do get a job, so it ain't exactly free. Not exactly a good system since that gives you no incentive to get a job
Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
My cousin sent me an article about some dude out in Alabama or some ****. Dude was like 24 years old. Had 9 kids. NINE kids. No job. Welfare check of $1500 a month for each kid. Plus all the other aid he could gather. Was bringing in $160,000 a year for free. And now that he died his kids will more than likely ALL get social security checks until they're 18 or someone else takes responsibility for them.

It's why I see Escalades on 26 inch rims with $8000 stereo systems in them all over the place in Watsonville.
You just descibed most of East San Jose.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI (sold), 2013 STI, 2014 BURRZ

Werd. My wifey used to work at Food4Less. She'd see ppl pull up in brand new Escalades all the time, nails done hair did wearing baby phat, etc. Pull out a fat wad of 100's to buy some Henny, then pay for groceries with ebt. Makes me sick that some ppl mooch off the system living the good life while others work so hard to earn a decent living and barely get by.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:18 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
I know it was back and forth for a while but I'm pretty sure they ended up taking it.

I just did a search and came up with this one amongst like 25 others talking about Tesla and grants... this one mentions what Ford took.

So no Ford did not take the bail out but they did take a HUGE grant for electric tech research. I knew I read they took money somewhere... $6 BILLION.

Tesla, Ford, Nissan all receive electric car development loans from US government -- Engadget
this was NOT a grant for Solyndra though.

It was a 'gov't backed' loan... basically meaning that they were loaned $500 something million bucks by a bank, and the gov't told the bank, don't worry, if Solyndra goes belly-up and defaults on it, taxpayers got your back! hahahah

what a joke. how would anyone have motivation to pay back if no repercussions. I'm willing to bet a paycheck that not only this year, but last year, the top executives, received HUGE bonuses... hahahahaha

goes to show what kind of business sense our gov't has. <endrant>

it's like the US giving ~$4billion in tax breaks to 'undocumented immigrants' and how ~70% of California inmates are 'undocumented immigrants' which taxpayers ARE taking care of... hahhahaha california will be tijuana in 20 years. mark my words now.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by 04gg
i never understood why they built such a massive plant for an industry that was basically already a commodity before they even started. After applied materials dumped their solar division, it was clear that this market wasn't going to go anywhere.
qft.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Overbear
So, because someone can manufacture a product for cheeper, better and more effecient, they should have to pay MORE to bring that product here, meaning I have to pay more for it?

American "products" are a joke, I will back your Tariff idea as soon as all, and I mean ALL unions are broken up and banned/outlawed. You want the true death of american manufacturing, look to your so called "friendly" union rep. That right there is the guy stealing money from your pocket.
you can also thank Clinton and NAFTA...

the sound you heard was jobs being sucked out of the U.S. but most are prolly too young to remember that...

also look at the bridge issue. We're supposedly going to save something like $30million just by buying steel from China, cause of all the union stuff. people fail to see the truth, and just ***** and moan about China.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI (sold), 2013 STI, 2014 BURRZ
Originally Posted by Overbear
Depends on what you know, if the guy at $5 a hour ends up getting hurt or ruining production because he doesnt know his *** from a hole in the ground, then the $30 is a better bargan for the company...and most companies know this.

Lowend: non union shop, non union workers, non union wages (on a magnatude higher than some of the union shops because our company doesnt have to pay for the union bull****)

**** unions, flat out, and **** anyone who thinks they are a good thing in the modern world. I will give you that yea, back in the 20s and 30s they were handy and had a place, that place is gone.
Come on dude. I'm pro union and in one myself. Your entitled to say whatever you want, and that's cool, but would you mind taking down a couple notches please? Thanks.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:33 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
you can also thank Clinton and NAFTA...

the sound you heard was jobs being sucked out of the U.S. but most are prolly too young to remember that...

also look at the bridge issue. We're supposedly going to save something like $30million just by buying steel from China, cause of all the union stuff. people fail to see the truth, and just ***** and moan about China.
One big reason why China got the bridge contract is because they have manufacturing already set up to build it after building that massive bridge in China. There was no ramp up involved for them, they just kept building. In the US however, all of the infrastructure to get the project going would need to more or less be pulled together and people hired, etc... so that was kind of a timing thing also. China just happened to have everything in place to step in and build it with basically no start up cost.

China Opens World’s Longest Sea Bridge
Old 09-02-2011, 02:35 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Did Obama Administration Cut Corners For a Green Energy Company?

The Obama administration bypassed procedural steps meant to protect taxpayers as it hurried to approve an energy loan guarantee to a politically-connected California solar power startup, ABC News and the Center for Public Integrity's iWatch News have learned...

..."There's a consequence if you don't follow a rigorous process that's transparent," said Franklin Rusco, an analyst with the Government Accountability Office. "It makes the agency more susceptible to outside pressures, potentially."

Old 09-02-2011, 03:35 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by JuanitoBurrito
You see that it Watsonville huh? I live in watsonville dude and I take offense to that big time! Where is all this info coming from dude. Get your head out of your *** and think before you speak. That was a really ignorant comment man. Escalades with 8,000 dollar systems. Wait let me guess, they're probably all illegals too huh. You know all about east San jo too wrxbrah? You guys are off your rocker!
Truth...it hurts?
And how the **** can you be "offended" with what OMA said when your handle is JuanitoBurrito!?!

And yes, they probably were illegals!

Quick Reply: Solyndra - lock out this morning