Solyndra - lock out this morning

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 10:37 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Originally Posted by Lowend
I'm generally a free-trade kinda guy, but I think it's gotten to the point where we just need to tariff the **** out of imports.

China with it's slave labor, currency manipulation and lack environmental restrictions is not a level playing field.
100% agree. I was just consulting to a company who was selling their product to a Chinese company; I helped prepare the documentation. As part of the deal, in order for the company to buy the product from the US company, the Chinese company had to be given drawings so they could produce 20% of the product themselves. The FIRST thing I said to the company here was "You realize once they know how to build this machine they will put you out of business within 5 years right?"
Old 08-31-2011, 10:44 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
Like I said Tariff on Imports... I don't care what country the guy in the leather chair's desk is in.
If something is manufactured in China, tariff it
Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Hope and change...hope and change...
Sad to say but the moment nobama backed that company, it was doomed. "Green" tech is bull**** and that fact is finaly comming home to roost.

So called "Green" companies are going to start to fail left and right, this is just the first of many, many to come. CA is finaly going to pay for its arogant socalist ways.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:56 AM

Like I said Tariff on Imports... I don't care what country the guy in the leather chair's desk is in.
So, because someone can manufacture a product for cheeper, better and more effecient, they should have to pay MORE to bring that product here, meaning I have to pay more for it?

American "products" are a joke, I will back your Tariff idea as soon as all, and I mean ALL unions are broken up and banned/outlawed. You want the true death of american manufacturing, look to your so called "friendly" union rep. That right there is the guy stealing money from your pocket.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 AM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX Wagon
The problem is: we can't unilaterally impose tariffs without expecting retribution. We export a lot. For example, we are the worlds largest exporter of agricultural goods. So there are a lot of American industries which are dependent on exports and when other countries impose tariffs of their own the American companies get hurt. This sort of thing was a major precursor to the great depression, look what happened after we enacted the Smoot–Hawley Act. Then, when it came up for renewal and was re-enacted we wiped out a lot of the recovery which had been in progress.

The real question is how do we make it harder for companies to benefit from all the protections America has to offer when they aren't paying their taxes, or stiffing American workers, etc.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:03 AM

Car Info: 2004 Silver WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Overbear
American "products" are a joke, I will back your Tariff idea as soon as all, and I mean ALL unions are broken up and banned/outlawed. You want the true death of american manufacturing, look to your so called "friendly" union rep. That right there is the guy stealing money from your pocket.
There is nothing wrong with a private sector union. To survive it has to be a balancing act; if they put the company they work for out of business, they no longer have work. Sure, they can be a pain to deal with, but someone has to watch out for the little guy. Public sector unions, on the other hand, are a real problem in a completely different debate.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 AM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
The playing field isn't level...
When China manipulates the value of their currency AND excuses all Environmental regulations... of course they can produce cheaper.

Unions don't have that much to do with it. Union membership is at an all-time low, and so is American Manufacturing. Think about this: Do you want to be treated like the average Chinese worker? ... Than we need Unions
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
We cant even get our American companies to pay a dollar in taxes, you think they will allow us to tariff their imports?

Spoiler alert: Most of those 'leather chairs" are right here.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:20 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Their companies are completely subsidized by their government and their "employees" don't get much for what they do. ZERO safety or environmental regulations. So, yes, it is easy to see why they can produce things for lower cost. The average consumer, not just in the US, is the reason why this can happen. THAT is the reality, not that a country can do this.

You want your iPhone/Pod/Pad cheaper? That's how its done.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:26 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by 04GG
Their companies are completely subsidized by their government and their "employees" don't get much for what they do. ZERO safety or environmental regulations. So, yes, it is easy to see why they can produce things for lower cost. The average consumer, not just in the US, is the reason why this can happen. THAT is the reality, not that a country can do this.

You want your iPhone/Pod/Pad cheaper? That's how its done.
this exactly, like I said, we've painted ourselves into a corner
Old 08-31-2011, 12:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Damn, I really liked their logo
Old 08-31-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by PArex
There is nothing wrong with a private sector union. To survive it has to be a balancing act; if they put the company they work for out of business, they no longer have work. Sure, they can be a pain to deal with, but someone has to watch out for the little guy. Public sector unions, on the other hand, are a real problem in a completely different debate.
The playing field isn't level...
When China manipulates the value of their currency AND excuses all Environmental regulations... of course they can produce cheaper.

Unions don't have that much to do with it. Union membership is at an all-time low, and so is American Manufacturing. Think about this: Do you want to be treated like the average Chinese worker? ... Than we need Unions
Funny, I am not in a union, I have never in my life been part of a union or worked in a union shop (I refuse to), yet I make more than a large chunk of people in the private and public sector.

Its about confidence and your ability, NO, some brainless dipwad stuffing food into a bag at the store should not make as much as a skilled worker, period.

China is where it is because they are working the system. Its a shame people here in the US are so removed from our true capitalist drive that we think we are intilted to work for X dollars a hour.

I am sorry lowend but, you are just a flat out socalist with views like that. About as far away from being pro-american as you can get.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:02 PM

Car Info: 2004 STi,sold.
Solyndra: Our stimulus money/tax dollars at work. Obamanomics. Obama's "Green Economy". Our future unless major changes are made in November of 2012.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
lolwut how do you expect people to live in california if they were forced to work jobs at 2$ an hour overbear?

you need x dollars an hour to pay your rent, food and transportation.

Quick Reply: Solyndra - lock out this morning