The Official Bay Area Beer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:53 AM

Car Info: WRX
I guess i'm going to have to crack into one of my TJ ales.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 2015 FXT
Has anyone tried the Sam Adam's Utopia? I guess it has somewhere between a 25-30% ABV, but I guess its pretty expensive
Old 12-29-2010, 11:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by Pearl07STI
Has anyone tried the Sam Adam's Utopia? I guess it has somewhere between a 25-30% ABV, but I guess its pretty expensive
I've never seen it in a store. For a while it was the strongest (or second strongest) beer in the world along with the DFH 120, but BrewDog in Scotland (w00t) has since smashed that.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:50 PM

Car Info: 2010 wrb WRX wagon
Tried a bottle of the Red Hook Eiselbock couple weeks ago. This is the first Eiselbock I've tried and I was pleasantly surprised. It was really smooth and a more mellow flavor than I would have expected with bock in the name and the 11% alcohol.

http://www.redhook.com/Default.aspx?p=92
Old 12-29-2010, 01:38 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by kyle16
Tried a bottle of the Red Hook Eiselbock couple weeks ago. This is the first Eiselbock I've tried and I was pleasantly surprised. It was really smooth and a more mellow flavor than I would have expected with bock in the name and the 11% alcohol.

http://www.redhook.com/Default.aspx?p=92
Eisbocks are a little different than normal high alcohol beers. The higer percentage comes from freezing the beer (most of the water freezes, leaving a higher concentration of alcohol and flavor compounds). Maybe thats why it isn't as harsh as other high alcohol ones.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:09 PM
VIP Member

Hello Pliny, my love.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Hello Pliny, my love.
I can only assume the Elder. But the Younger... Oh so amazing! Of course, the Elder is quite good as well.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:14 PM
VIP Member

I can only assume the Elder. But the Younger... Oh so amazing! Of course, the Elder is quite good as well.
Yes, the Elder. Younger will be out in a few weeks though! Russian River is doing something new this year. PtY will have a daily allotment at the pub in Santa Rosa.... Meaning if they run out one day, they'll have more the next! It'll be on tap for 2 weeks. I-club trip? We MUST have a 100% sober driver for each car traveling to the pub.

Oh, and IIRC, no growler fills of PtY.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:29 PM

Yes, the Elder. Younger will be out in a few weeks though! Russian River is doing something new this year. PtY will have a daily allotment at the pub in Santa Rosa.... Meaning if they run out one day, they'll have more the next! It'll be on tap for 2 weeks. I-club trip? We MUST have a 100% sober driver for each car traveling to the pub.

Yumm indeed. I have only had it a couple times before, and it leaves me wanting more. Last year, I gave my growlers to my sister to fill up there (she lives near downtown Santa Rosa) and she went and checked with the bartender before they released it when to come back in by and they said within a couple days, you will be fine. Alas, she came in the next morning to avoid the mass amounts of people and they were out. I was sad in my heart.

From what I heard, they are not filling growlers anymore because people were selling them on ebay and Russian River would have none of that.

I am sad once again this year because I am leaving for vacation on the 3rd and coming back on the 12th, so there will be little to no way I will make it up there for the last day.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:01 PM

I wanna try some russian river goods. Where can I get some?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by snowflow
Sonoma County, Marin County and a couple places in SF that I knew of. You used to be able to find Blind Pig and Elder at a few places in San Mateo County and Santa Clara County, but those places are dried up. They have become much more popular in the past couple years, so since they do not want to expand their brewery, they decided to bring their distribution closer back to home. Lameness I say.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:21 PM

Sonoma County, Marin County and a couple places in SF that I knew of. You used to be able to find Blind Pig and Elder at a few places in San Mateo County and Santa Clara County, but those places are dried up. They have become much more popular in the past couple years, so since they do not want to expand their brewery, they decided to bring their distribution closer back to home. Lameness I say.
Aww bummer. I heard they have a really good stout. I'm going to probably just resort to some mailorder. I think I can get some Nogne limited as well.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:30 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by snowflow
I'm not sure where you are (sarcastic location fail) but you can find their flagship "Pliny the Elder" IPA at select Whole Foods locations, and some Andronico's too.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 PM

I'm not sure where you are (sarcastic location fail) but you can find their flagship "Pliny the Elder" IPA at select Whole Foods locations, and some Andronico's too.
No fail, I do live far away.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:14 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant

OMG when is this?? I need to do some yahoogling. Keep in mind I am a serious beer fan, never tasted the PtY, have a pregnant wife + SUV (AKA sober driver situation w/ 3rd row seating). So, yeah.

Quick Reply: The Official Bay Area Beer Thread