Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:12 PM

Car Info: 2017 WRB WRX Premium
Stuck on these IPA's right now...

Old 11-16-2010, 07:36 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by SolSurferX
The Anchor is good, I have to be in the mood for it tho....I still have one left from the six pack I bought almost 2 weeks go.

....oh and your A-IPA was good.
Yeah, the Anchor is definitely an interesting one. I'm on my 3rd or 4th of the pack though, so obviously not unbearable.

Originally Posted by snowflow
Just east of Sonora, up the hill. Twain Harte area. Near Dodge Ridge ski resort.

I'll check them out. Thanks!
I've always wanted to brew my own beer and make the flavors I like and maybe one day start a brewery.
Looks like you'd be best off ordering from MoreBeer.com then, or AustinHomebrew.com

Originally Posted by KurleeDaddeeWRX
Stuck on these IPA's right now...

How can you be stuck on Ranger? I could not stand that stuff.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:50 PM

Car Info: WRX
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
Yeah, the Anchor is definitely an interesting one. I'm on my 3rd or 4th of the pack though, so obviously not unbearable.

Looks like you'd be best off ordering from MoreBeer.com then, or AustinHomebrew.com

How can you be stuck on Ranger? I could not stand that stuff.
Thanks for the tips. Got anymore tips for first-time brewers?
Old 11-16-2010, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRB Wagon
Nothing can **** with some good great white
Old 11-16-2010, 11:00 PM
VIP Member

Thanks for the tips. Got anymore tips for first-time brewers?
Read. And also, tight temperature control during fermentation, while not ESSENTIAL, helps a sh*t ton.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Read. And also, tight temperature control during fermentation, while not ESSENTIAL, helps a sh*t ton.
Totally - and, just brew as much as you can. Get multiple fermenters and do 3 at once. I learned something valuable with each one.

Just found my cooker thing!!! So now I can find a tank and start getting the brewing gear back together.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 AM

Cool, because i've been planning to use a house cellar that stays pretty constant in the low 50's (sometimes 40's when it snows).
Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
I brew my own beer, my favorite is a clone of Boont Amber ale, made by anderson brewing company. I get all my brew stuff @ San Francisco Brewcraft in the inner richmond dist. in SF.
anyone else brew??
Old 11-17-2010, 10:43 AM
VIP Member

Cool, because i've been planning to use a house cellar that stays pretty constant in the low 50's (sometimes 40's when it snows).
That'd work well for lagers, but you should probably start out with ales, which require low 60's to low 70's. If you have one laying around, or can find one on craigslist, pick up a medium to large minifridge and slap a temperature controller on it (if you want, I can find you a link to a $30 temp controller). Put that in a warmer area (because it can only cool lower than the ambient air, it can't make the fridge 60* when it is sitting in a 40* cellar). Then you'll be golden.

However, like I said, that isn't essential. I'd just stick the fermenter in the house somewhere or in a closet for the first few batches.

The book I read part of before starting: http://morebeer.com/view_product/157...Of_Homebrewing
The book that is supposed to be better than the one I read: http://morebeer.com/view_product/157...71/How_To_Brew
Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Ecential
I brew my own beer, my favorite is a clone of Boont Amber ale, made by anderson brewing company. I get all my brew stuff @ San Francisco Brewcraft in the inner richmond dist. in SF.
anyone else brew??
Yeah, there are a few of us on here. I don't currently have a "favorite" of mine, but I am enjoying my Pale Ale recipe and mourning the end of my last IPA.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:10 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krinkov
wow.

Originally Posted by kyle16
That is awesome. Might have to see if they make a poster of that
Available here: http://popchartlab.com/index.php/pos...eties_of_beer/

To me, $25 for a 1.5'x2' poster is kind of pricey.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ecential
anyone else brew??
Good to know. I'll check that place out next time im in sf.

That'd work well for lagers, but you should probably start out with ales, which require low 60's to low 70's. If you have one laying around, or can find one on craigslist, pick up a medium to large minifridge and slap a temperature controller on it (if you want, I can find you a link to a $30 temp controller). Put that in a warmer area (because it can only cool lower than the ambient air, it can't make the fridge 60* when it is sitting in a 40* cellar). Then you'll be golden.

However, like I said, that isn't essential. I'd just stick the fermenter in the house somewhere or in a closet for the first few batches.

The book I read part of before starting: http://morebeer.com/view_product/157...Of_Homebrewing
The book that is supposed to be better than the one I read: http://morebeer.com/view_product/157...71/How_To_Brew
Also good to know. I have an extra fridge handy. Maybe i'll make a few different ones this winter.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:02 PM
VIP Member

Good to know. I'll check that place out next time im in sf.

Also good to know. I have an extra fridge handy. Maybe i'll make a few different ones this winter.
Cool cool, here is the unit I use to override the fridge's thermostat. You plug this into the wall, put the sensor probe in the fridge (just place it in the door, the gasket will seal around it when you close the door) and plug the fridge into the unit. Mine needs to be calibrated (a small set screw inside) but I just stick a thermometer in the fridge to monitor the temperature and adjust the dial relative to that.

http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?...roducts_id=933

Also, if you did back in this thread to about 2 years ago you can find whatever information Wombatsauce gave me on starting.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Wow, no one has mentioned Sudwerks (at least from searching the thread). Didn't anyone here go to UCD?
Old 11-17-2010, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by mmboost
Wow, no one has mentioned Sudwerks (at least from searching the thread). Didn't anyone here go to UCD?
I'm planning on going in 2012

Quick Reply: The Official Bay Area Beer Thread