i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource

i-Club - The Ultimate Subaru Resource (https://www.i-club.com/forums/)
-   Bay Area (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/)
-   -   The Official Bay Area Beer Thread (https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/official-bay-area-beer-thread-195086/)

pignoseWRX 11-20-2008 12:12 PM

The Official Bay Area Beer Thread

We all know the Bay Area is best. Adding to our greatness is our proximity to great west coast breweries. Tell us your top 5 and what you think everyone else should try. Not necessarily "Bay Area Beers", whatever you like from wherever, and if it's "rare" where we might find it in the Bay Area.

21 and over, please.

:puke: and discuss.

Irish_car_B0mb 11-20-2008 12:18 PM

i would hate to start this thread off on the wrong foot, but i dont know all the west cost beers. however

-Moylan's Kilt lifter is bomb
-Moylans Irish Red is also awesome
-Thrid street ale works in Rosa make a Goat Rock Dopple Bach. it is way bombage
-Blue Moon is awesome
-Stella Artois is great (ya i knwo its not bay area)

OneManArmy 11-20-2008 12:19 PM

Snow Shoe Brewing Co. Arnold, Ca. Favorites are... every beer I've tried there but Old Man Winter is the best.

kyoung05 11-20-2008 12:27 PM

I haven't tried a ton of local breweries, but from my experiences, everything from BJ's and Gordon Biersch sucks. Devil's Canyon Brewery in San Carlos/Belmont is not bad. Steelhead in Burlingame is also good.

As an aside, I hate: (1) light beers, e.g. Stella, any kind of white, blonde, etc. ale; (2) Guinness, and to a certain extent, New Castle, (3) hefeweizens; (4) Heineken; (5) Budweiser. I hate Coronas too, but they aren't even really beer, and really don't deserve mention in a beer thread. PBR is at least 3x the "beer" Corona is.

Another observation - no good beer comes out of Asia. Period. End of discussion. Korean beer? Crap. Japanese beer? Crap. Philippino beer? Crap. Thai beer? Crap. Chinese beer? Crap. Get it? Got it? Good. This is also pretty true of Latin American beer.

My favorite beers include: Fullers ESB, most IPA's, Sam Adams, and generally, hoppy, bitter, nutty beers.
________
[URL="http://jailbroken.org/"]JAILBROKEN[/URL]

Unit 91 11-20-2008 12:42 PM

[QUOTE=kyoung05;2419281]I haven't tried a ton of local breweries, but from my experiences, everything from BJ's and Gordon Biersch sucks. Devil's Canyon Brewery in San Carlos/Belmont is not bad. Steelhead in Burlingame is also good.

As an aside, I hate: (1) light beers, e.g. Stella, any kind of white, blonde, etc. ale; (2) Guinness, and to a certain extent, New Castle, (3) hefeweizens; (4) Heineken; (5) Budweiser. I hate Coronas too, but they aren't even really beer, and really don't deserve mention in a beer thread. PBR is at least 3x the "beer" Corona is.

Another observation - no good beer comes out of Asia. Period. End of discussion. Korean beer? Crap. Japanese beer? Crap. Philippino beer? Crap. Thai beer? Crap. Chinese beer? Crap. Get? Got it? Good. This is also pretty true of Latin American beer.

My favorite beers include: Fullers ESB, most IPA's, Sam Adams, and generally, hoppy, bitter, nutty beers.[/QUOTE]
Tell us how you really feel.

slow04wrx 11-20-2008 12:47 PM

[QUOTE=kyoung05;2419281]I haven't tried a ton of local breweries, but from my experiences, everything from BJ's and Gordon Biersch sucks. Devil's Canyon Brewery in San Carlos/Belmont is not bad. Steelhead in Burlingame is also good.

Another observation - no good beer comes out of Asia. Period. End of discussion. Korean beer? Crap. Japanese beer? Crap. Philippino beer? Crap. Thai beer? Crap. Chinese beer? Crap. Get? Got it? Good. This is also pretty true of Latin American beer.

My favorite beers include: Fullers ESB, most IPA's, Sam Adams, and generally, hoppy, bitter, nutty beers.[/QUOTE]

whack...................

kyoung05 11-20-2008 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=slow04wrx;2419299]whack...................[/QUOTE]

Aww....did I insult a beer you like? Does that make you :sad: Did you take that as a personal insult? :pointlaugh:
________
[URL="http://mexicocityhotel.info"]Hotels in mexico city[/URL]

Irish_car_B0mb 11-20-2008 12:58 PM

[QUOTE=Unit 91;2419290]Tell us how you really feel.[/QUOTE]

:rofl:

Irish_car_B0mb 11-20-2008 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=kyoung05;2419281]

My favorite pink beers include: Bartles & James wine coolers, smirnoff ice, mikes hard lemonade, and generally, fruity, sugary, sensitive beers.[/QUOTE]

fixt

Unit 91 11-20-2008 01:17 PM

[QUOTE=Irish_car_B0mb;2419318]fixt[/QUOTE]
I think what he's trying to say is he doesn't really like beer at all. Or is such an overhyped snob that good beer is out of his reach.

Akira-R 11-20-2008 01:26 PM

I've been partial to:

Hoptown Vanilla Porter (Can find at Hopyard in Dub/San Ramon)
Hoptown Hef (Can find at Hopyard in Dub/San Ramon)
El Toro Brewing has a nice Oatmeal Stout (Morgan Hill, you can sometimes find it at St Johns in Sunnyvale)

kyoung05 11-20-2008 01:27 PM

[QUOTE=Unit 91;2419342]I think what he's trying to say is he doesn't really like beer at all. Or is such an overhyped snob that good beer is out of his reach.[/QUOTE]

So, because I don't like certain beers, I must not really like any beer at all? Or, I'm a snob for not liking the beer most people like? Yea, that makes sense....:noidea:
________
[URL="http://www.health-forums.org/cancer-lymphomas/"]Cancer - lymphomas advice[/URL]

OneManArmy 11-20-2008 01:37 PM

[QUOTE=Akira-R;2419374]I've been partial to:

Hoptown Vanilla Porter (Can find at Hopyard in Dub/San Ramon)
Hoptown Hef (Can find at Hopyard in Dub/San Ramon)
El Toro Brewing has a nice Oatmeal Stout (Morgan Hill, you can sometimes find it at St Johns in Sunnyvale)[/QUOTE]

the morgan hill El Toro? They have a beer there with more hops than I've ever had before. I mean my mouth was actually dry during drinking it.

matthepcat 11-20-2008 01:44 PM

Uhh ohh......this is going to bring out all kinds of Beer snobs.

Lets all just start by agreeing to disagree.

I will start...I like free beer like at my work thanksgiving party today:)

OneManArmy 11-20-2008 01:52 PM

Another observation - no good beer comes out of Asia. Period. End of discussion. Korean beer? Crap. Japanese beer? Crap. Philippino beer? Crap. Thai beer? Crap. Chinese beer? Crap. Get it? Got it? Good. This is also pretty true of Latin American beer.

good asian beers... or at least decent

china: Tsing Tao (since 1903 and started by the germans)
china has been making beer for 5000 years and is the second largest producer of beer in the world. They have to have something good.

japan: Kirin Ichiban (started by an american in 1870), Sapporo and Asahi.

Thai: Chang beer. Relatively new. 1990's. Most of their beers are rip offs.

Philippines: You gonna tell me you don't like colt 45... haaaa. What about San Miguel beers. (started by some spanish folks in 1890)

Latin beers... what about Negra Modelo or Bohemia. Dos Equis. There are TONS of germans in brazin and argentina and therefore some great beers from the area. Eisenbahn has some good beers. Weizenbier. Dunkel. Wiezenboch. Strong Golden Ale (I'd be surprised if you didn't LOVE this beer)

so...... anyways.