Vendor, Tuning, Service, and Parts Review Feel free to discuss vendor experiences but please don't use the forum as your own private soapbox to perpetually bash specific vendors.

Ed @ EQtuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 07:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Ed is a cool guy and from what I hear, a great tuner who will work one on one with his customers to achieve whatever it is they would like.

I will probably get road tuned from him because I have a TMIC and road tunes are much more effective when compared to dyno tunes with simulated road air flow.

However, he should have a business license if he represents himself as a "vendor," because it also protects him from situations that may go *boom* for whatever reason (be it aggressive tuning or the driver driving their car like a bat out of hell), as well as it protecting his customers, which should be an asset he values highly for the sake of his business.

If Ed just does this as a weekend side job, a hobby, then I think that as long as his customers know they are legally unprotected for the work done to their cars, because he isn't registered as a business, then it's up to individuals to decide if they want to go to Ed, or go to a shop (which may or may not be able to tune their car as well, but can at least protect their work and your car legally without hesitation.)

I've met Ed and I think he is a great guy and I am friends with some owners of cars he has tuned, and all that I have come in contact with are amazing cars.

And after seeing the road dynos that get posted, which display his accomplishments, I would say he is a great tuner.

It's up to you to decide whether or not you will go to Ed at EQ once you know he is a not an official business tuner and you should be responsible for the actions that may or may not occur resulting from that decision.

For those who may know about some of his client's cars going *boom* share the story with the details or don't mention it. I am neutral and would like to hear ALL the stories, good and bad. And if Ed doesn't do any wrong, it won't bother him, all tuners get +1 and even -1 occasionally, no big deal... people aren't perfect.

Just make your own educated decision before letting ANYONE touch your car, be it EQ, GST, FLI, LIC, or any others and you will be rewarded
Old 07-23-2007, 07:35 PM

Car Info: 04.7 AW Time Attack STi
Originally Posted by GT35 STI
You have no idea what you are talking about, Ed could only DREAM of getting the business/opportunity's one shop he screwed gets. Please stop learn a little outside info on the situation and try again.

It's ok I can see where most of your morals are. I on the other hand will not support someone doing things illegal and immoral(and people in the subaru community should know this, if they still decide to go to him or not). I gain nothing from posting this, I am no way obligated or linked to any shops. I use to talk to ed daily until i drew the line on his practices. They are NOT ok with me, and one day it will catch up with him when the feds figure out that he might owe a few bucks in taxes
Shut your mouth man, you aren't much of a saint either! Don't act like you're above Ed, you're just bitter cause the shop working on your car right now is taking forever to finish it.

Irrational X - Ohh yeah he keeps screwing EVERYONE over! He screws me and all my friends who are floored by Ed's tuning skills and couldn't be happier with their cars after he tuned them. Not to mention all my friends actually go to the track and back up their numbers, rather than brag about dyno sheets.

Last edited by AdamBOMB_STi; 07-23-2007 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 07:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by GT35 STI
I on the other hand will not support someone doing things illegal and immoral(and people in the subaru community should know this, if they still decide to go to him or not).

so what are you going to do when it comes time to smog your car? And if Ed ****s up so many engines, why does Mike actually say he's a good tuner. A believe me, Mike isn't afraid to talk **** about anyone

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 07-23-2007 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:42 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by AdamBOMB_STi
Irrational X - Ohh yeah he keeps screwing EVERYONE over! He screws me and all my friends who are floored by Ed's tuning skills and couldn't be happier with their cars after he tuned them. Not to mention all my friends actually go to the track and back up their numbers, rather than brag about dyno sheets.

whats with the ****-swinging comments about showing off dyno sheets and what sounds like a track challenge? you don't have the necessary hardware in your pants to make comments like that so don't bother trying.

im still trying to find the relevance for this post as well as trying to understand how you can be so completely retarded while still the mental control to flap you jaw.

there are tons of people who are happy with ed's tunes. ive seen the maps and ive seen the cars, and the ones that aren't toast are awesome. the fact is people make mistakes and need to deal with them, he hasn't. If you like i can show you a car thats toast, right after ed touched it. 1.5bar boost on a new motor thats breaking in, that could just be a mistake. not taking responsibility for it? thats Ed. hows tomorrow afternoon work for you? im off at 2. would you like to speak to the people he has screwed over? i can probably arrange that.

i never said hes a bad tuner, i said hes a bad person and a horrible businessman ether that or he is just careless and childish. people make mistakes, either way, its still on him.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:08 PM
Troll

Car Info: 2008 Legacy Spec-B
Originally Posted by MBasile
so what are you going to do when it comes time to smog your car? And if Ed ****s up so many engines, why does Mike actually say he's a good tuner. A believe me, Mike isn't afraid to talk **** about anyone
please show me where i said Ed was a ****ty tuner and I will give you the keys to my car

Shut your mouth man, you aren't much of a saint either! Don't act like you're above Ed, you're just bitter cause the shop working on your car right now is taking forever to finish it.
I'm biter? You realize almost every single tuner company has been asked if they had an idea on why my car is doing what they are doing, and not even COBB themselves can figure it out. Why would I be mad?? And when have I ever screwed over a shop for money? When have I ever evaded taxes? When have I ever used my dads plumbing business license for my "business"

P.S. if we wanna do my ***** is bigger then your ***** contest...

None of your friends have beaten my time... soo uhh... ya? what's your point

Last edited by GT35 STI; 07-23-2007 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Troll

Oh and since it doesn't seem like you guys are reading this portion, I will make it bolder and bigger for hard seeing eyes....

ME AND JACK AREN'T QUESTIONING ED'S TUNING CAPABILITIES.... JUST HIS MORALS/BUSINESS PRACTICES
Old 07-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Father Time

Car Info: This aint a bag. It's a shipment.
Originally Posted by MBasile
so, um, what tuner tuned the fastest STi on a stock turbo? I can't seem to remember. Did irrational x actually get tuned by Ed? I've yet to hear any actual customers complain about Ed's work.
A turbo that isn't using it's originally equiped internal wastegate is not a stock turbo.

So... Who has written a tune that produced the most power with acceptable loss of reliability on a stock turbo equiped STi?
Old 07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
Troll

Originally Posted by wrxtunerd
Ed is a cool guy and from what I hear, a great tuner who will work one on one with his customers to achieve whatever it is they would like.

I will probably get road tuned from him because I have a TMIC and road tunes are much more effective when compared to dyno tunes with simulated road air flow.

However, he should have a business license if he represents himself as a "vendor," because it also protects him from situations that may go *boom* for whatever reason (be it aggressive tuning or the driver driving their car like a bat out of hell), as well as it protecting his customers, which should be an asset he values highly for the sake of his business.

If Ed just does this as a weekend side job, a hobby, then I think that as long as his customers know they are legally unprotected for the work done to their cars, because he isn't registered as a business, then it's up to individuals to decide if they want to go to Ed, or go to a shop (which may or may not be able to tune their car as well, but can at least protect their work and your car legally without hesitation.)

I've met Ed and I think he is a great guy and I am friends with some owners of cars he has tuned, and all that I have come in contact with are amazing cars.

And after seeing the road dynos that get posted, which display his accomplishments, I would say he is a great tuner.

It's up to you to decide whether or not you will go to Ed at EQ once you know he is a not an official business tuner and you should be responsible for the actions that may or may not occur resulting from that decision.

For those who may know about some of his client's cars going *boom* share the story with the details or don't mention it. I am neutral and would like to hear ALL the stories, good and bad. And if Ed doesn't do any wrong, it won't bother him, all tuners get +1 and even -1 occasionally, no big deal... people aren't perfect.

Just make your own educated decision before letting ANYONE touch your car, be it EQ, GST, FLI, LIC, or any others and you will be rewarded

BTW, since this post might go unnoticed, I gotta give you props. This is a great post. If his customers know that he isn't officially a licensed business then and still want to go with him, that's fine. More power to them, what I'm not ok with though is the tax evasion and blatant theft he has done to the local shops in this community(don't know any details on customers so I will not state things I don't know to be true)
Old 07-23-2007, 11:34 PM

Car Info: 04.7 AW Time Attack STi
Originally Posted by irrational x

whats with the ****-swinging comments about showing off dyno sheets and what sounds like a track challenge? you don't have the necessary hardware in your pants to make comments like that so don't bother trying.

im still trying to find the relevance for this post as well as trying to understand how you can be so completely retarded while still the mental control to flap you jaw.

there are tons of people who are happy with ed's tunes. ive seen the maps and ive seen the cars, and the ones that aren't toast are awesome. the fact is people make mistakes and need to deal with them, he hasn't. If you like i can show you a car thats toast, right after ed touched it. 1.5bar boost on a new motor thats breaking in, that could just be a mistake. not taking responsibility for it? thats Ed. hows tomorrow afternoon work for you? im off at 2. would you like to speak to the people he has screwed over? i can probably arrange that.
yeah if you only knew what I actually have under my hood then maybe you wouldn't have said what YOU said. the fact is derrick only had a very brief tune done by Ed, adjusting idle and part throttle. Ed especially wouldn't have advised 1.5 bar of boost, given that Derrick runs an EBC he must have upped it on his own. So how is Ed responsible for Derrick being negligent with boost control?

I'm running a break-in map done by Ed running an MBC and I wouldn't be caught dead upping the boost to 1.5 bar without proper tuning/gas.

Last edited by AdamBOMB_STi; 07-23-2007 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:00 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi

I Agree with Stevoooooooooo
Old 07-24-2007, 12:05 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Alright guys... there are only a couple parts of this I feel I need to touch on.

Lets start with the whole business license BS... EQ Tuning was originally registered in Davis, CA. Approximately 7 months ago I moved to the Bay Area. The Davis license has since expired and I have yet to receive my new business license here. I will admit that I should have re-registered sooner but I've been very busy with the move, a new place, a new fiance, etc and the business license was not my top priority at the time. Not a great excuse but it is what it is. The paperwork for the new license has been submitted and I should receive it in about a week. I hope you guys can sleep at night now

As far as screwing over shops and owing money... GT35 STI has brought this up in a previous thread but was never able to provide any details or facts. I will respond to this one more time with exactly the same response. If any shop owner feels I "screwed them over", they have never come to me personally to express this. If they had I would happily work out our differences in a civilized manner. As far as owing money, that's just a complete fallacy. I have had tabs with some shops in the past just like many others do but they have all been paid off in full. Again, if you or anyone else feels I owe them money, please contact me so we can work it out. As far as I'm aware I have no standing debts with any shop owners. And I have stated this before.

Now... GT35 STI keeps saying he's not questioning my tuning abilities but then irrational x keeps mentioning damage I've done to customer's cars. It seems the car he's referring to belongs to a former GST employee whose built motor recently blew during break-in. He happened to be near DB Tuned and dropped the car off there and that's likely how irrational x knows about it.

Since this incident seems to be so adamantly mentioned, I feel its only appropriate to clear up the details. The person came to me a couple months ago because his car was running poorly and wouldn't hold an idle. He'd talked to many different tuners and got a lot of different opinions before contacting me about it. I told him to bring the car in and I'll see if I can get it idling and running decently.

Note that this car had a built block, heavily ported heads, an intake manifold conversion, PE injectors and a blow-through MAF. Considering all this it was one of the most difficult cars to get idling I've ever seen. It took quite some time but after a lot of work I finally got a nice, very solid idle. We took the car for a quick spin to make sure it was running ok under low-moderate loads. This map was meant for the first part of the break-in on this brand new motor so we never tuned it for any significant boost, although I made sure it was at least safe in such an occasion. After driving the car around, the owner reported that it was driving a lot better than it had ever driven before and no longer stalled at stoplights. This was a bit of a surprise to me because according to my standards the drivability was still very sub-par and the engine was generally noisy and rough. I informed the owner of this several times and suggested that swapping injectors would likely cure or at least greatly improve the drivability. He drove it around like this for some time anyway because it was such a big improvement from how it ran previously. He then decided he wanted to raise the boost a bit now that it was partially broken in. I told him it was probably safe to run about 10-12psi on this map. While adjusting his boost controller, he hit about 1.4 bar momentarily and got off the throttle. That is probably why his gauge shows that peak. He then adjusted the EBC to run the appropriate boost and continued driving the car for another 100+ miles with absolutely no issues. Then while cruising on the freeway under low load (vacuum) and with no warning, he noticed that his EGT gauge shot up past 900C, then let off. The car was now misfiring and loosing power.

The fact that the EGT's shot up severely directly prior to the failure suggests a fuel system failure. The pump may have lost voltage, an injector may have gotten stuck, etc. Either way a failure like this during regular low load operation really doesn't point at the tune as the culprit.

Now that all the details are cleared up, I'll mention a couple other facts. First I never charged this person for any of the work I did. It was an interesting setup and I mainly did it as a favor and as a challenge to see if this car could actually run. I also noted to this person that I can't take any responsibility for this engine because it was generally noisy, ran very poorly before I worked on it, is very unique setup, and I generally didn't have confidence in the engine. This was all made clear before I touched the car and the owner agreed. Finally, I have been in contact with the owner since the engine failure and he places no blame on me or my tuning for the failure.

So there it is... this is just a lesson in why one should not jump to conclusions from hearing some random 3rd party's story or encounter. Irrational X never even spoke with the owner of the car, had no real facts about the situation, and yet chose to use it as arsenal to bash me and my tuning skills. Just remember there are usually two sides to the story... and sometimes a third .

I believe those are the main things that needed some clarification on details. Some of this information has been stated before and some I would have rather not stated to the public out of respect for others in my industry. Sadly when such accusations are made with such little actual data I have no choice but to fill in the gaps.

BTW, this is not an argument nor a discussion on my part. I have stated some facts that were omitted and I have nothing else to add to this thread.

Thanks

Last edited by EQ Tuning; 07-24-2007 at 12:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:28 AM
Troll

As far as screwing over shops and owing money... GT35 STI has brought this up in a previous thread but was never able to provide any details or facts. I will respond to this one more time with exactly the same response. If any shop owner feels I "screwed them over", they have never come to me personally to express this. If they had I would happily work out our differences in a civilized manner. As far as owing money, that's just a complete fallacy. I have had tabs with some shops in the past just like many others do but they have all been paid off in full. Again, if you or anyone else feels I owe them money, please contact me so we can work it out. As far as I'm aware I have no standing debts with any shop owners. And I have stated this before.

Now... GT35 STI keeps saying he's not questioning my tuning abilities

...rest doesn't pertain to me...
KK, first off. I am not ignorant so I would never talk about cars going BOOM, unless it was someone who was blowing motors at a crazy high rate, which then your reputation will go down by itself and would not need internet banter to do so. If you ask any real tuner they will all admit to making mistakes that lead to the failure of a motor here and there. It is 1000000% understandable in this industry, anyone who shows me a tuner that hasn't blown a motor. I will show you a tuner who is full of ****, or doesn't know how to make any power. When pushing motors to their limits, obviously sometimes you are going to miss judge something or some unknown variable comes into play and BOOM oil is now spraying all over the place. Ed has shown me personally enough of his dyno graphs, and I have sat in the car with him when he was working his magic for me to know, he knows what he is doing. Their is however two cars that i know never ran quite right... Justin's which was ed's first meth injection car I believe, and it was 110 degree heat. So w/e that one is fine... and Jeremy's who he says was so bad that he went back to his stock map, but he is a ricer who uses 100% atmospheric blow off valve on his car so honestly who knows what's up with that. Other then those two I can't really say much

I said last time you made this claim, how I should provide details about these other shops instead of making this "fictional claim''. You have also stated that no shop has come forward and said anything to you directly. I have BEEN in a shop when person X has told you to pay him and he never got said money. Still hasn't to this day. I will not speak for others because I do not want to misconstrue frustration and true story on a public message board. However I am not just talking about one shop, I have been in the room with phone call conversation more then once and in more then one shop where the entire phone call conversation specifically involved you and how you owed said shop money. Maybe you really are just this obvious and you really have no idea that you have screwed these shops with upwards of over a thousand dollars worth of money.

You never addressed the tax evasion issue that you yourself have admitted to me, I'm not sure if you just overlooked that with the 900 posts of bickering back and forth, or if you honestly flat out ignored it for obvious reasons. Rumor has it said shops have not come forward and called you out is because you aren't a real business, if you refuse to pay they have to come after you PERSONALLY and frankly it's not worth their time and effort, instead that would rather pick up their loses and move on

Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Lets start with the whole business license BS... EQ Tuning was originally registered in Davis, CA. Approximately 7 months ago I moved to the Bay Area. The Davis license has since expired and I have yet to receive my new business license here. I will admit that I should have re-registered sooner but I've been very busy with the move, a new place, a new fiance, etc and the business license was not my top priority at the time. Not a great excuse but it is what it is. The paperwork for the new license has been submitted and I should receive it in about a week. I hope you guys can sleep at night now
From what I have heard, even your old business license was garbage. It was your dads plumbing company that you used, not one linked to EQ Tuning. This should be very easy to prove to us if you really did have a real business license linked to EQ Tuning.

You probably don't feel the need to argue with us since there is pretty much no way you are going to win over our business again, but if you really can show me that what I have heard is 100% wrong, and I misread what you sent to me on AIM. Then by all means you will gain my respect again as a person, and I will not feel the need to express my feelings towards your "company". However I think their is a HUGE portion of people who do want the exact same answers that I want, and just aren't voicing their opinion. You know damn well i'm not afraid to voice my opinion and if i'm wrong then by all means i'll man up and apologize. I'll even make an entire thread dedicated to how badly I was wrong. The facts still remain I have personally SEEN you steal customers in someone else's shop who was nice enough to let you use dyno time, I have personally seen the parts you have screwed shops out of. I have heard the phone call conversations. All of these to me can be construed as fact. I am not hearing these stories 2nd or even 3rd time around. I am hearing them directly from the source, and honestly you know the owners of the local shops just as well as I do. You know damn well they aren't out to **** each others business, most of the owners of these shops are good friends and will literally give each other maps and share information with each other. Some of these shops now no longer want you within 100 yards of their building. This does not happen for no reason ed....

P.S. if you feel things are to personal i.e. proof of your prior business license to be posted in this thread.... Feel free to PM me details on any situation and if i'm wrong I will gladly come in here and state that I am... However I don't think i'm very wrong on anything I have stated

Last edited by GT35 STI; 07-24-2007 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Troll

Well after talking to ed for a good 45 minutes, he explained to me alot of things. Most of my issues with his morals have seemed to have since been resolved, or at least attempted to be resolved. He admitted like he did in his previous post, that he might not always been on top of his business liscense, which isn't really where my problem with him stood. He states he is currently in the process of getting his new one, so that issue is resolved it seems like. The tax thing is what it is. My biggest thing was the combination of the three made me lose all respect for him, each one individually would not have bothered me much since they don't pertain to me. I am done bantering on and on questioning Ed's morals and beliefs. I have gained some respect back for ed, and apologize to ed since it sounds like some of the things he said to me on AIM in the past(that was used in my reasoning for disliking him) was taken to an extreme since it's difficult to express yourself properly with text.

I no longer have a reason or anything to stand on at this point to continue to hate on his +1 threads. Hopefully if there are still issues on the table involving other people, things get worked out

Last edited by GT35 STI; 07-24-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:34 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Well I'm glad that you guys got to talk, hopefully everything gets squared away because I would like a tune soon and if he gets that business license, he for sure wins my tune.

Props to handling this Ed... especially on a public forum.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:55 AM

Car Info: 2005 STi
Well I'm glad that you guys got to talk, hopefully everything gets squared away because I would like a tune soon and if he gets that business license, he for sure wins my tune.
Me 2 ^^^^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: Ed @ EQtuning