Top gears review of GT86

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I don't know if you can call us non-believers... nobody is disputing the fun factor or drivability of the BRZ. We just want a bit more of a kick in the pants when you hit the go pedal.

Like Lowend said earlier - this car is almost there for me. Its got the looks and handling but lacking on straight line performance. I know this sounds like having your cake and eating it too but its totally doable. All it needs is a tiny *** turbo to provide the torque and top end us power lovers need. Subaru can do it! The only downside will be the price.

Look at the WRX and STi. The WRX is awesome for its pricepoint and for those that are itching for more, they can choose the STi. We just had to wait two years for the STi after the bugeye was released.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:08 AM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
I already stated before that I'm at the point where I'd like about 30-40hp more out of my frs.. So I understand people's want for more power.. But in stock engine form the car is capable of keepin up with most cars, and its fast on curvy roads cause the handling makes up for the power so it allows you to carry higher speeds than most into corners, and as long as you stay in the powerband picking up speed from corner to corner is no problem at all. It's a very exciting car to drive in that manner.. Though when up next to a STI/evo/whatever you know in the back of your head you'd lose in a drag.. But I don't care for drag or street racing so I'm fine with it..

The reason I wish it had more power is because the way I have my car setup is that it has controllable oversteer when pushed into a corner. If I wish to push the rear at I just tug on the wheel and the rear will come around. Having a few more horses would allow me to get my results easier IMO, plus the way the gearing is I'm either high rpm 2nd or pushing 3rd, but lose rpm cause I'm not high enough in the power band.. Though the more I drive and get used to the limits, it allows me to push the limit some more and more potential is found.

I have been waitin for a reliable tuner like Ed to get the Ecutek equipment to tune these cars so I can take advantage of some of the performance mods I've done to the car. I know there's more HP to be unlocked and when I do, even if its only 15-20hp I know it'll be enough for the style driving I do. I also drift at Sonoma raceway when I can make it out there, so I like to push the car and improve where I see fit to my driving style. So this is merely my opinion of course.

Last edited by Alliedforces86; 11-27-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 AM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Heedz
LOLOLOLOLOL seriously go play with yourself. You are putting the car in a different zone. Don't even talk here if you wanna say this is slower than a vette. Not the same game. It's like Michael Jordan playing golf and baseball.

Once again LOLOLOLOLOL really? C63? You make me sick. Why the hell are you comparing your wrx to an amg? That's like me saying yo dude.... I'm gonna go smoke Usian Bolt AND Michael Phelps in the same day.
did MJ play gold and baseball in space jam?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:44 AM

Car Info: subaru
made it sound like the FR-S is a cheap no HP car.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by slugrx
Why are people getting so mad that some people want a brz with more power?

Id guess to say most owners didn't buy the brz specifically to track it or only drive roads with corners to go faster than more powerful cars...

Let's do a more real life scenario? Merging/lane changing on the freeway and you can't out accelerate a lot of cars on the road now...a lot of basic sedans and suvs have quicker acceleration than the brz...
^this is why I want more power.. because all the bum**** drivers out there that want to be a ***** and not let you in, it needs the power to be able to merge safely when driving in the bay area. All these horrible drivers on the road, you NEED a little more torque when you downshift to get around someone, to merge onto the freeway with a epace of mind that the dumbass behind you isnt going to rear end you and screw up your whole damn day because they were texting on their damn phone because everyone is so glued to those things nowadays. If you've ever driven on 17 in traffic, you'd understand the necessity of a little power to switch into the other lane, the corners are too close together and its so easy to get rear ended if you dont have some power.

On the other hand, yes, I'm sure the BRZ s incredible out of the box from the factory as far as handling goes, but I think, which is an OPINION so don't get your booty hurt, it needs more power to be an even safer car for us aggressive drivers that like to switch lanes and get around the slow people

Oh and I havent driven the car, so maybe it already has plenty of power for that but it would be nice to have more power, it just doesnt NEED it

Last edited by esousa22; 11-27-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
Believe you me, the day that I have the luxury of an impractical 2 door sports car, it will be in my garage! In the mean time my glorified econobox impreza will do the job just fine!
go live on the track dude, holy crap... impractical! youre a joke! its great on gas, handles beautifully, thats practical, your NEED for power is impractical!
Old 11-27-2012, 11:02 AM

Car Info: '11 STI
Originally Posted by MonsterGC
if it had 250 whp it be such the perfect s2k killer =D
Originally Posted by vietpunk916
I'd give up my S if brz has more than 240hp and remove those back seats.
Not the best example but:

and then the owner who also came from a s2k chimed in here
New Kid on the Block: BRZ v S2K @ Buttonwillow 13CW
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by esousa22
go live on the track dude, holy crap... impractical! youre a joke! its great on gas, handles beautifully, thats practical, your NEED for power is impractical!
Generally speaking, yes, a tiny two door sports coupe is impractical as a sole daily driver. Thats why these breed of cars are so rare! I'm not talking just the BRZ, but also the S2k, Miata, Corvettes, etc. IMO they are second cars to have as toys. Most people end up getting married and having kids and these cars don't work out to well for that

I mean look at AlliedForces profile, he has a bugeye AND a BRZ. The bugeye is a versitle, 4 door car with AWD and it looks like the BRZ is his fun toy. My household has a civic daily driver, a truck that sits in the driveway and an STi garage queen.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by flat489
Not the best example but:

and then the owner who also came from a s2k chimed in here
New Kid on the Block: BRZ v S2K @ Buttonwillow 13CW
and the s2k had 2 people in it!

Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
“It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow.” - Abner Perney
Old 11-27-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by subie OCD
I mean look at AlliedForces profile, he has a bugeye AND a BRZ. The bugeye is a versitle, 4 door car with AWD and it looks like the BRZ is his fun toy. My household has a civic daily driver, a truck that sits in the driveway and an STi garage queen.
This is true. Though I do DD a sweet 91 Integra, it's my luxury car because after all, it is an Acura ... The wife drives the Bugeye

But yes I did buy the frs as more of a fun car. And it is, I have to admit, too uncomfortable to DD cause I've been driving it to work a little much lately. So I'm putting the stock springs and wheels to make it a little more comfy till I get some KW coils
Old 11-27-2012, 11:29 AM

Sorry for not imbedding .. But here's where I get my kicks from my frs.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Alliedforces86
This is true. Though I do DD a sweet 91 Integra, it's my luxury car because after all, it is an Acura ... The wife drives the Bugeye

But yes I did buy the frs as more of a fun car. And it is, I have to admit, too uncomfortable to DD cause I've been driving it to work a little much lately. So I'm putting the stock springs and wheels to make it a little more comfy till I get some KW coils
Right on And I'll be the first to admit that my STi is a terrible daily driver as well. Expensive to maintain, rough ride, high insurance rates... but the fun factor makes it all worth while! I love it.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Loves the Anime

Car Info: STWODUCES
BRZ/FRS are very nice looking cars and corners great..if your looking for a turbo'd RWD car.. get a Hyundai Genesis 2.0T. cheaper, more hp, almost the same body, but doesn't have the same sleek look. also comes with the best warrenty.. lol..

personally not a hyundai fan but there are other alternatives.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Alliedforces86
Sorry for not imbedding .. But here's where I get my kicks from my frs.

drift day - YouTube
^

Quick Reply: Top gears review of GT86