Need help finding a location for our 9th annual "Mt Hamilton" meet! Help us please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Well the times I've been it's not been unlimited food and snacks. They have gone fast. The drinks? Big deal I can bring my own from home to last me the entire meet. And for most of the places it's actually $15 when you have to include a parking fee.
Wow, I didn't expect that to come from someone like you... I never knew that you were so cheap man... did marriage do this to you?

You have to remember that not everyone pre-pays me so its hard to gauge exactly how much food and stuff to get. If everyone pre-paid me things would be much different. Every year I have to make an educated guess as to how many people are going to show up, and when I get my final number, I have to add another 100 or so people to that number because people bring friends and family, etc... I wish I could know EXACTLY the number of folks that would be there... There would be more then enough food for everyone and enough left over for people to take home after... When I calculate the amount of food we need, I always get 1 pound of meat per person which is more then people can eat normally... Then I have to buy the buns, veggies, condiments, bread, vegetarian options, cookies, sweets, etc to go along with that pound of meat per person... So in theory everyone at the meet is supposed to get A LOT of food, more then enough then an average person can eat... More then I can eat even (I gauge all of this on how much I can eat, then I add a bit more to that number). Since most people can't eat that much, there is plenty left over to feed the people that come unannounced, erm, or so you would think.

I'm not psychic, I can't guess how many people are going to show up unannounced. I do my best to encourage folks to pre-register, and even if they can't pay me in advance at least some folks tell me that they will be there and inform me of anyone they will be bringing.

For the people that don't pre-pay me, I have to use my own money to buy their food and drinks until they can pay me back on the day of the event. This is really sketchy for me since I have to use my own money and have to use the word of people I have never met in my life... When you have 100 people pre-pay and 200 people tell me that they will be at the meet and that they will pay me at the door (and how many people they are bringing, etc) that gets to be a lot of money for an person such as myself, especially right now that I am newly married (house, bills, economy, etc), and I know I'm not alone, everyone is in a tough position right now.

Anyway. I have to front a lot of money for people that gave me their word. Most people keep their word and show up, but some don't show up at all and I'd have to eat that cost if it wasn't for people showing up unannounced. We have never guessed EXACTLY how many people would show up, we're not mind readers, it would be impossible to guess exactly how many folks would show up unless you were really, really damn lucky.

The money thing has always been a problem... It is the reason that we have had supply problems with food. I HATE when people don't get enough food, it's the worst possible thing that can happen. (How many of you remember when I had my friend Christian run down to San Jose's In N Out to get 100 cheeseburgers for the people that didn't get to eat?) I try my best to make sure that everyone is taken care of, but I am human, I can only predict things to a certain degree.

Nothing bothers me more then when people sit there and complain about the meet (Like Justin just did). I try my best to put my time and effort into creating something like this meet so that everyone in BAIC can gather someplace nice and have a great time. The only thing I really get out of this meet is the satisfaction of knowing that people had fun and are looking forward to the next one.

When someone goes out of their way to point out flaws and to complain about things that are out of the direct control of the staff that organized this event, it makes me really upset. We put this meet on so that everyone can have a good time and chill out, etc... People act like this is our job and that the people who show up are our bosses. Some folks appreciate this meet for what it is to the fullest extent, those people make this meet soooooo worth doing. Most people appreciate the things that we do, but no matter how well we plan it, there will ALWAYS be the number of people who like to complain about things that were out of our control, like the food problem for example... price is another thing that people complain about.

The $5-$10 ($5 if you pre-pay, $10 if you pay at the door) fee seems very fair. The fee covers all costs (rental fees of the camp sights, food, drinks, and anything else). 4 years ago (I think it was 4 years ago) I put too much faith in people and ended up getting burned which means that I had to pay a lot of money from my own pocket because people showed up out of the blue, completely unannounced, so I had to eat the cost of 100 InNout cheeseburgers as well as some other costs. I learned from it and made sure it would never happen again.

Nowadays $5 or $10 isn't crap, you can hardly buy a meal for that much.

I am very insulted when people complain about the festival. People who complain about the price are really pathetic... What can you get for $5 in the real world? People are charged $5 if they pre-pay, sort of like a reward for doing it early. $10 is for people who pay on the day of the event. To complain about the price is a laughing matter. I know money is tight right now with everyone, but to complain about $5 for what you get goes to show how cheap you really are. I never pinned you (justin) as a cheap person, Justin... What happened to you man? Did marriage change you this much? Or were you this disrespectful before you got married? You were nice at one point but something has changed you over the past 4 years... It's a shame.

I'd like to thank those of you who are always right there next to my side and support us (me and staff) in every way possible. We wouldn't throw in so much personal time if we didn't have such supportive members such as yourselves. BAIC is far superior to any other car forum I have been to, even though we have our rotten apples, our supportive members make up for any bad apples, so thank you to our supportive members for being so "supportive".

to those of you who complain!
Old 01-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Since I've started to get a few ims about this I just want to make I clear that I will not be organizing this meet if it's not at quarry lakes. I spent too much time last year searching for sites to choose one that was big enough for use to grow into, cooler in temp, and central to have it thrown out the window after just 1 try. If people truly don't like it fine, I'm sorry. But to complain that it's in Fremont???

So please, stop IMing me and calling me about this meet, I'm not going to be planning it. I'd much rather just show up, hang out and eat. I'm so ****ing tired of all the whiners, cheap asses, and people who miss the point of this meet... Getting together over food, music, and our love for subarus. Instead we are picked a part for our well meaning choices.

Some thank you.......
Old 01-18-2009, 04:30 PM

Car Info: 2008 subaru AWD stroller...wahaha
what happen these days now?? econ turn bad and people are tight on money, but I wasn't expecting people start fighting over $10- $15 dollar...come on, it once a year...I'm sure you can save up gas money, entry fee in the next 8 months??

Dan is putting up this event for the members on i-club, or baic... "once a year", $10 ain't nothing... I would even say $20 is a great price already; a full day event with BBQ, DJ, drink, and vendors coming out...

I am paying for my school, car, car insur, gas and everything like everyone else...and loan to be paid... 4 digit payment every month, it hard too...

I say if you come up here and talking about $10 is expensive for a annual event like this, ...(in a really really really calm tone and voice) you have another option which is skip this event and not go, and save you $10. I mean, why fighting over $10... is kinda pointless.

either go or not go...simple as that.
alan'09
Old 01-18-2009, 04:40 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRB STi
I have would have no problem paying 20 bucks for a good day out in the sun with other subies owners.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:44 PM

Car Info: .
This doesn't need to be that big of a deal.

Even if you get a good spot that lacks power, just rent a generator for the DJ and that problem is solved.

....mountains out of mole hills.

Pick a spot, set a date, line everything up and **** anyone who doesn't like it. You'll be here all day arguing yourself blue in the face with all the armchair quaterbacks.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
Since I've started to get a few ims about this I just want to make I clear that I will not be organizing this meet if it's not at quarry lakes. I spent too much time last year searching for sites to choose one that was big enough for use to grow into, cooler in temp, and central to have it thrown out the window after just 1 try. If people truly don't like it fine, I'm sorry. But to complain that it's in Fremont???

So please, stop IMing me and calling me about this meet, I'm not going to be planning it. I'd much rather just show up, hang out and eat. I'm so ****ing tired of all the whiners, cheap asses, and people who miss the point of this meet... Getting together over food, music, and our love for subarus. Instead we are picked a part for our well meaning choices.

Some thank you.......

I am really disappointed that you'd bail on us like that... "Quarry lakes or I'm not helping at all"... I love you Gagan, but do you have any idea how that sounds? I have a feeling that we're going to be back at Hamilton again this year. I did some inquiries and ran some numbers so I'm pretty sure we can pull it off... If we can't, I will MAKE it work. The reason I'm so set on Hammy is because people love that location and it has been our location every year except for last.

Quarry Lakes just doesn't have that certain "Oomph!" that Hammy does... Hammy wins in every category minus lot size. I'm sorry that you're so set on QL, but you are the minority. Doing things at hammy is more difficult, but well worth it. The easy way usually indicates a lack of quality.

I really wish you'd keep your word in regards to helping organize the event with me and jourdan... I know its stressful, especially when people like bluwrxwagon start complaining about what you've worked so hard on... With the 3 of us working on it the stress level would be decreased 10 fold. You're one of the only few that would know how to deal with this event.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by brucelee
Wow, I didn't expect that to come from someone like you... I never knew that you were so cheap man... did marriage do this to you?

You have to remember that not everyone pre-pays me so its hard to gauge exactly how much food and stuff to get. If everyone pre-paid me things would be much different. Every year I have to make an educated guess as to how many people are going to show up, and when I get my final number, I have to add another 100 or so people to that number because people bring friends and family, etc... I wish I could know EXACTLY the number of folks that would be there... There would be more then enough food for everyone and enough left over for people to take home after... When I calculate the amount of food we need, I always get 1 pound of meat per person which is more then people can eat normally... Then I have to buy the buns, veggies, condiments, bread, vegetarian options, cookies, sweets, etc to go along with that pound of meat per person... So in theory everyone at the meet is supposed to get A LOT of food, more then enough then an average person can eat... More then I can eat even (I gauge all of this on how much I can eat, then I add a bit more to that number). Since most people can't eat that much, there is plenty left over to feed the people that come unannounced, erm, or so you would think.

I'm not psychic, I can't guess how many people are going to show up unannounced. I do my best to encourage folks to pre-register, and even if they can't pay me in advance at least some folks tell me that they will be there and inform me of anyone they will be bringing.

For the people that don't pre-pay me, I have to use my own money to buy their food and drinks until they can pay me back on the day of the event. This is really sketchy for me since I have to use my own money and have to use the word of people I have never met in my life... When you have 100 people pre-pay and 200 people tell me that they will be at the meet and that they will pay me at the door (and how many people they are bringing, etc) that gets to be a lot of money for an person such as myself, especially right now that I am newly married (house, bills, economy, etc), and I know I'm not alone, everyone is in a tough position right now.

Anyway. I have to front a lot of money for people that gave me their word. Most people keep their word and show up, but some don't show up at all and I'd have to eat that cost if it wasn't for people showing up unannounced. We have never guessed EXACTLY how many people would show up, we're not mind readers, it would be impossible to guess exactly how many folks would show up unless you were really, really damn lucky.

The money thing has always been a problem... It is the reason that we have had supply problems with food. I HATE when people don't get enough food, it's the worst possible thing that can happen. (How many of you remember when I had my friend Christian run down to San Jose's In N Out to get 100 cheeseburgers for the people that didn't get to eat?) I try my best to make sure that everyone is taken care of, but I am human, I can only predict things to a certain degree.

Nothing bothers me more then when people sit there and complain about the meet (Like Justin just did). I try my best to put my time and effort into creating something like this meet so that everyone in BAIC can gather someplace nice and have a great time. The only thing I really get out of this meet is the satisfaction of knowing that people had fun and are looking forward to the next one.

When someone goes out of their way to point out flaws and to complain about things that are out of the direct control of the staff that organized this event, it makes me really upset. We put this meet on so that everyone can have a good time and chill out, etc... People act like this is our job and that the people who show up are our bosses. Some folks appreciate this meet for what it is to the fullest extent, those people make this meet soooooo worth doing. Most people appreciate the things that we do, but no matter how well we plan it, there will ALWAYS be the number of people who like to complain about things that were out of our control, like the food problem for example... price is another thing that people complain about.

The $5-$10 ($5 if you pre-pay, $10 if you pay at the door) fee seems very fair. The fee covers all costs (rental fees of the camp sights, food, drinks, and anything else). 4 years ago (I think it was 4 years ago) I put too much faith in people and ended up getting burned which means that I had to pay a lot of money from my own pocket because people showed up out of the blue, completely unannounced, so I had to eat the cost of 100 InNout cheeseburgers as well as some other costs. I learned from it and made sure it would never happen again.

Nowadays $5 or $10 isn't crap, you can hardly buy a meal for that much.

I am very insulted when people complain about the festival. People who complain about the price are really pathetic... What can you get for $5 in the real world? People are charged $5 if they pre-pay, sort of like a reward for doing it early. $10 is for people who pay on the day of the event. To complain about the price is a laughing matter. I know money is tight right now with everyone, but to complain about $5 for what you get goes to show how cheap you really are. I never pinned you (justin) as a cheap person, Justin... What happened to you man? Did marriage change you this much? Or were you this disrespectful before you got married? You were nice at one point but something has changed you over the past 4 years... It's a shame.

I'd like to thank those of you who are always right there next to my side and support us (me and staff) in every way possible. We wouldn't throw in so much personal time if we didn't have such supportive members such as yourselves. BAIC is far superior to any other car forum I have been to, even though we have our rotten apples, our supportive members make up for any bad apples, so thank you to our supportive members for being so "supportive".

to those of you who complain!
I've just become disenchanted with the meets. Seeing the clique's getting together and making it an unfriendly atmosphere. That family feel we had with the first 4-5 years has changed dramatically over the past 3-4 years. The types of people that have joined and show up, are to different people from board to face to face. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you organizing it. Believe me, helping you out a lot that first year of the BBQ, I know how much work goes into this. But overall it appears it could be bigger, better. There should be more giveaways by the vendors or more magazine coverage or something more. Every year the meet should grow a little more to not get stale. It's been stale to me for the past couple years. It's not a matter of being cheap, it's getting more for the money. Believe me, I'd gladly pay $20, 30, 40 even 50 if we could have an autocross or track day type situation. But sitting around sweating to death just isn't as appealing anymore and paying for it. I can just as easily bring food for myself from home. I'd pay up to $20 for a professional BBQ to come with Tri-Tip's ready to go with all the sides. The monetary figure is just a basis for a whole argument of how the meet could change. I just think that the meet has just sat back on it's laurels and got stale. Jourdan tried to change things up last year and met a ton of resistance and then not a lot of people turned out for it. But at least he tried to change it, yea a change of venue to Novato would be different. But once there, it's the same thing as Hammy.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:07 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
This doesn't need to be that big of a deal.

Even if you get a good spot that lacks power, just rent a generator for the DJ and that problem is solved.

....mountains out of mole hills.

Pick a spot, set a date, line everything up and **** anyone who doesn't like it. You'll be here all day arguing yourself blue in the face with all the armchair quaterbacks.
You make it all sound so easy...

Where were you last year when I was looking for a generator and a DJ?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
I've just become disenchanted with the meets. Seeing the clique's getting together and making it an unfriendly atmosphere. That family feel we had with the first 4-5 years has changed dramatically over the past 3-4 years. The types of people that have joined and show up, are to different people from board to face to face. I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you organizing it. Believe me, helping you out a lot that first year of the BBQ, I know how much work goes into this. But overall it appears it could be bigger, better. There should be more giveaways by the vendors or more magazine coverage or something more. Every year the meet should grow a little more to not get stale. It's been stale to me for the past couple years. It's not a matter of being cheap, it's getting more for the money. Believe me, I'd gladly pay $20, 30, 40 even 50 if we could have an autocross or track day type situation. But sitting around sweating to death just isn't as appealing anymore and paying for it. I can just as easily bring food for myself from home. I'd pay up to $20 for a professional BBQ to come with Tri-Tip's ready to go with all the sides. The monetary figure is just a basis for a whole argument of how the meet could change. I just think that the meet has just sat back on it's laurels and got stale. Jourdan tried to change things up last year and met a ton of resistance and then not a lot of people turned out for it. But at least he tried to change it, yea a change of venue to Novato would be different. But once there, it's the same thing as Hammy.

Let me apologize for assuming, Justin. I took your last post literally and just assumed you were bashing us for charging money... I'm glad I was wrong.

The reason the last couple years have sucked is partially my fault. The meet on hammy 2 years ago was planned SOOOOO last min which means I wasn't able to do the normal Hammy stuff. we grew every year until that year. If you dont remember, I wasn't going to do the meet at all then people started asking, asking, and asking... When I realized that people really wanted the meet I decided to throw one last min so thats the reason it wasn't as great.

Don't get me started on last year... Last year's meet was by far the worst in terms of turn out, cliques, food, events, music... not to mention the location. The location would be nice if it was located somewhere remote in the hills somewhere, but its smack center of Fremont... Literally in the heart of the city. Fremont is known for its police that pull cars over for anything which is why a lot of people didn't show up and I don't blame them.

Quarry Lakes wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't in the heart of a city known for its **** anti-modification cops (Rosetti)... If that place was in a location like Mt Hamilton (or any other mountain region in the bay) it would be GREAT, but its not so as long as the meet is held there we are going to have a small number of cars coming out... Deny it all you want, its the truth. We can even do a poll asking people what they think... Hell, I'll start it in a second
Old 01-18-2009, 06:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by brucelee
Let me apologize for assuming, Justin. I took your last post literally and just assumed you were bashing us for charging money... I'm glad I was wrong.

The reason the last couple years have sucked is partially my fault. The meet on hammy 2 years ago was planned SOOOOO last min which means I wasn't able to do the normal Hammy stuff. we grew every year until that year. If you dont remember, I wasn't going to do the meet at all then people started asking, asking, and asking... When I realized that people really wanted the meet I decided to throw one last min so thats the reason it wasn't as great.

Don't get me started on last year... Last year's meet was by far the worst in terms of turn out, cliques, food, events, music... not to mention the location. The location would be nice if it was located somewhere remote in the hills somewhere, but its smack center of Fremont... Literally in the heart of the city. Fremont is known for its police that pull cars over for anything which is why a lot of people didn't show up and I don't blame them.

Quarry Lakes wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't in the heart of a city known for its **** anti-modification cops (Rosetti)... If that place was in a location like Mt Hamilton (or any other mountain region in the bay) it would be GREAT, but its not so as long as the meet is held there we are going to have a small number of cars coming out... Deny it all you want, its the truth. We can even do a poll asking people what they think... Hell, I'll start it in a second
Oh no I completely agree that having it right in the center of Fremont is bad news for those of us with any visual mods. And it's hard to find other locations that are centrally located but still fun to be at, drive to, what have you. I know somebody posted about Lake Del Valle. I'll try and make a trip over there and get some photos of the place to see how that is parking wise, I couldn't tell from the google satellite image how much parking was there. Then people have Mine's and Hammy to drive if they choose to return to SJ or go to the meet up that way. Also the Central Valley people can take Corral Hollow/Tesla Rd to get there. The only disadvantaged people for a drive there are the North Bay people, but once there they could go for a drive on Mine's, which imo is a better/easier drive than Hammy.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
You make it all sound so easy...

Where were you last year when I was looking for a generator and a DJ?
Maybe it isn't that easy, I don't have access to the numbers you guys do, but I think this thing is already overflowing with drama that needn't be.

I've already stated my piece and I'll leave it at that, but if you make this an event instead of a meet, people WILL show up. I wouldn't worry about it overfilling knowing the previous years numbers. If you do things differently to make it more of an event as mentioned and it overfills, great. You now have your momentum back and you can expand the following year and the chance of it being a Quarry Lakes turnout will be slim to none since you have shown the least it will be with the previous showing.

I think you guys are putting the cart before the horse and getting wrapped up with a location when you should be putting your energy into sponsors, vendors, tuning shop support, blah blah blah. Pick a nice spot, **** the static from the whiners and then concentrate on making this the best Mt. Hammy ever.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Its simple Dan, if meet isn't at quarry lakes I don't want to be a part of planning it. I just don't.

I have no issues with having it elsewhere, hope it returns to the awesomeness it once was, just count me out.

Justin: del valle should easily support parking wise nearly 230 cars. It should be enough.

Doesn't matter where you do it, you are all still standing around. Just pick a place. Latlst year.you had people complaining about $15 for catered food. Pathetic...

If you have it Hamilton, hope you don't run into park issues. Didn't they tell us to stay away?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:25 PM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
^ I thought that was the excuse last year we couldn't go back to hammy?? Everyone complains about cops in fremont what about all the recent ref tickets in San Jose? I don't care where it really is going to be at i have never been to hammy yet. So who all got tickets last year at QL? Since lots of you are speaking of the fremont cops.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Gibz
^ I thought that was the excuse last year we couldn't go back to hammy?? Everyone complains about cops in fremont what about all the recent ref tickets in San Jose? I don't care where it really is going to be at i have never been to hammy yet. So who all got tickets last year at QL? Since lots of you are speaking of the fremont cops.
I think its more of a risky proposition than a guarantee. Fremont's track record and 100 or so modified cars making all sorts of noise. Bad mixture.

Plus, its Fremont.....an exhilarating crawl down 880 in traffic to sit next to Fremont's scenic Quarry Lakes.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:50 PM

Car Info: 2001 2.5rs
Mt. Hammy. Only because I haven't gone to the annual meets. But my friend has shown me pictures, so I'm willing to make the long drive there.

Quick Reply: Need help finding a location for our 9th annual "Mt Hamilton" meet! Help us please!