Bay Area - NorCal GC Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 AM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
hi! great work guys!
Old 09-14-2010, 12:08 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
I got that turbo line off ebay, but it's not going to work. If it were banjo's on both ends no worries but it's got an L on the engine side that doesn't clear the up pipe (far as I can tell).

Some pics..

Here's the fitting and the L together:

The fitting does thread all the way into the head but still, there is no way:

Here's the line.. It's way too long, but would work if I could get a banjo that fits around that bolt and accepts the end of the line - BUT I don't know what to ask for.

Anyone know a line setup that definitely works and is readily available? VF-39->EJ20

Starting to look like a car again.. On the ground and rolled on it's wheels for the first time in 4 months. Rolled it out of the garage to get the dash out of my ceiling.. Can't wait to get the dash in but I need to make sure my wiring is all done first of course.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:58 AM

thats interesting, why not use a line without the L ?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:30 AM

Car Info: Fast
Buy yourself the 12mm to -4an banjo fitting that I linked above.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MonsterGC
thats interesting, why not use a line without the L ?
Doesn't my whole post explain, with photos, that this would work if it did not have the L? My intent was to explain that very clearly, and ask for help. Was I unclear?
Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by aboothman
Yeah - that stuff looks way nicer than the parts I got. I should have just ordered everything you linked - now that I have this stuff and have tried it on the car, I see that very clearly. My VF-39 had a hard line with a banjo on it, so I was having a hard time seeing how the braided line was going to fit in there. Now I see. Thank you for the info. In fact, I may just junk this kit and get a length of custom line as well since this one is about 3" too long. I need to set the turbo back in place and measure to be sure but this looks a lot nicer.

I wasn't sure if the 12mm to -4an would work with this setup so thank you for chiming in. I still have lots to learn about these fittings and thread pitches and such. Much appreciated!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Ya P&L finally came through with the proper fittings for my kit.

The turbo fitting is -4an to a 10mm banjo, as linked above.

The head (or AVCS is you have it) is -4an to a 12mm banjo.

I was just installing a very similar setup on my 06 WRX motor last night. The AVCS line has an independent source on the block, so the turbo oil feed does not have to be T-ed like on the STI. All I needed was exactly what you are going for; a line from the head to the turbo.

I had an extra 12" line from a friends Dom 3 sitting around. One end had a 90 for the turbo end (intended for a restrictor in the Garrett BB turbo) and the other end was straight. I put the 90 end on the banjo under the uppipe mount where you are having the issue and it fit great. You can use a line that is straight on both ends... in which case you will be glad to have a couple extra inches.... unless you can get the banjo to point upward and fit the line through that gap where you took the picture from. If I remember, I will get some pics later.

Thus I have an extra P&L turbo/ AVCS oil line kit I will be selling soon
Old 09-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Car Info: RWD SR20/Impreza
heres my swap...hasnt been updated in a while. car is going to the paint booth this weekend...complete car should be done in Oct./Nov.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/ongoing-projects-31/rwd-sr20-95-impreza-l-219672/
Old 09-22-2010, 03:24 PM
VIP Member

Thanks at least once more. Just ordered the fitting, plus a bolt w/ crush washers as I am not sure I have enough. The bolt is 1.5 thread pitch - hoping that is correct.

$15 shipping from Hayward for a $19 part. Zing!

When I get everything set on the car and ready to bolt down, I will size up and figure out how long a feed line I need. I think I can feed it upward via where I took the picture as you said, but since I am putting this car together out of boxes I am not 100% sure there is not something else that lives right there. We'll see. If the parts come in, I should have my up-pipe, turbo, oil line and downpipe in. The reason this is so awesome is because after figuring out how to connect everything, I am going to check wiring, look for CELs and if I can find all the needed fluids... Test fire the engine. So excited and not just because I will run it with just the downpipe to get back at the douchebag across the street who likes to rev his streetbike with an open pipe on Saturday mornings.

In all honesty thinking I am going to test-fire the engine this weekend is a bit bold/unrealistic. But a foo can dream right!!

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Ok.. Time for another round of "WTF IS THIS???"

<SNIPZILLA>
Well, I still don't know what this is for aside from the obvious that it's a major part of the main harness. I have pored over loads of pics of people's swaps and I see this ending up where I have it, as well as basically ending up under the cluster on the driver's side. Seems like it depends on who did the wiring. This is supposedly a LIC built harness. I was going to link the photo of the car, but I see they recently took it off their website. Heh. Maybe they were not proud of this one...
Old 09-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by RiSky
heres my swap...hasnt been updated in a while. car is going to the paint booth this weekend...complete car should be done in Oct./Nov.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219672
wow! good luck with that!
Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
$15 shipping from Hayward for a $19 part. Zing!

When I get everything set on the car and ready to bolt down, I will size up and figure out how long a feed line I need. I think I can feed it upward via where I took the picture as you said, but since I am putting this car together out of boxes I am not 100% sure there is not something else that lives right there. We'll see. If the parts come in, I should have my up-pipe, turbo, oil line and downpipe in. The reason this is so awesome is because after figuring out how to connect everything, I am going to check wiring, look for CELs and if I can find all the needed fluids... Test fire the engine. So excited and not just because I will run it with just the downpipe to get back at the douchebag across the street who likes to rev his streetbike with an open pipe on Saturday mornings.

In all honesty thinking I am going to test-fire the engine this weekend is a bit bold/unrealistic. But a foo can dream right!!

Well, I still don't know what this is for aside from the obvious that it's a major part of the main harness. I have pored over loads of pics of people's swaps and I see this ending up where I have it, as well as basically ending up under the cluster on the driver's side. Seems like it depends on who did the wiring. This is supposedly a LIC built harness. I was going to link the photo of the car, but I see they recently took it off their website. Heh. Maybe they were not proud of this one...
Ya their shipping is crazy. Good luck getting it fired up this weekend!!

If all else fails, talk to the dude on RS25 that merges wiring harnesses. He really knows his stuff.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:53 PM
VIP Member

Ya their shipping is crazy. Good luck getting it fired up this weekend!!

If all else fails, talk to the dude on RS25 that merges wiring harnesses. He really knows his stuff.
It's cool - I got the "shipped" email about 34 seconds after I paid, so that's alright.

At this point my wiring will be all very case-by-case. I have the harness, and it's in the car, I would say routed. The body side is 1998 RS and the engine side is 2003 WRX. I have the very motor that was in that car, in my car now so everything should plug in there. The only parts of my 1995 I am retaining are: the body shell, the glass and the brake lines LITERALLY. I need to change a few plugs here and there (no ABS where the '98 had it, the '98 had a spec.b tranny, mine has an '04 WRX tranny, etc). So anything that's different on my car from the '98, will need to be changed. So far, I have not cut/spliced even one wire. I don't think it's something I could get help with remotely unfortunately - but that's part of the fun!!
Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

I got the fitting and the bolt. Strangely, the 1.5 thread pitch bolt was not right. Thankfully I had a spare 1.25 12mm so that worked well.

Here's the line as it sits now. Works nicely, but it's about 2x the length it needs to be. Not sure if this is good or bad.

Here's the line and fitting in a test-fit. I just added the washers to make sure the length was correct, and I always put them on this way when testing for two reasons: 1) it makes it a LOT easier to not drop one of them and 2) this way when I see one like this I KNOW it has not been tightened.

Here's a shot of the fitting with the turbo placed on the up-pipe, and the coolant line connected to size up space requirements..

Here's a shot from above right before I put everything back away..

Also I remembered I have some work to do on the fuel line setup in the rear before I can fire it up. But... Now, thanks to a buddy - I have a starter! Pretty important when trying to start the car I guess...
Old 09-29-2010, 12:20 PM

looking good!
Old 09-29-2010, 02:57 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MonsterGC
looking good!
Thanks!! Didn't you do your swap yourself too? Have to check it out some time.

Quick Reply: Bay Area - NorCal GC Swap Thread