Bay Area - NorCal GC Swap Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Car Info: Fast
Bay Area - NorCal GC Swap Thread

So I have mentioned starting a thread like this one previously in a couple other threads, and I finally decided to do it.

I know this may be more appropriate in the Members Gallery section, but I am hoping that keeping it specific to Northern Cali should let it remain here.

My idea for this thread is a focused place for us GC swappers to discuss swaps, show off swaps and parts, trade tips and info, and maybe even killer deals on parts the other swappers need.

I know that most of us are familiar with the other local projects, but it never hurts to gather info for the present and future!!
Old 04-21-2010, 12:43 PM

I figured I could start things off with my new project

So I recently bought a beat little 98L 4 door. It is not the the car I really wanted, but I needed something for a DD in short order as my WRX is just too much car to drive 500 miles a week to work. It is great fun () but not practical...or cheap.

It is Red, needs body work, the auto tragic tranny slips in third if I do not drive right, and it needs an RS hood and bumper. I will probably get the bumper at the local dealership and have a coworker paint the car...I am thinking Aspen White. I have been considering an aluminum JDM hood, but used ones are expensive and usually beat up. I can get one from my local dealership, but is it worth $500 before painting? I am leaning towards getting one from an OBS at the local pick and pull...

I have the 2.5L full stock engine from my 06 WRX, along with hubs/axles, 4/2 pots, an 06 WRX wiring harness with ECU/key/immobilizer/steering column (I just need the engine harness), and I have an 05 STI tranny on the way from an awesome fellow i-clubber

Now I need to decide on which 3.90 rear diff I want to use:

R180 with Full STI hubs and axles - I really want to keep the hubs/axles I already have
R180 with Spec-B rear axles - Keeps hubs and front axles, but spec-b axles are $$$
R160 with 3.90 pinion swap and WRX VLSD - kind of $$ and difficult for what you get
R160 MLSD with JDM axles - good option, axles tricky to find, relies on sourcing old parts

Of course I make no mention of weight with the JDM hood or the 6 speed or R180. This is a DD, and it will never be a race car......

The final dillema is with suspension. I have a set of WRX strut housings already prepped for Koni inserts as well as extra WRX front tophats, but I have been considering a basic set of KYB GR2 with some decent springs. Unfortunately, all of the best springs for the GC are VERY hard to find anymore. Any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2010, 01:56 PM

Car Info: ugly piece of ****
you using a EJ255?

Do you go on rs25.com? There is SO MUCH information on swaps over there as well as classifieds for all that old junk.

my 1996 has an EJ20G in it, can I be part of the club?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:30 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Keep searching for a deal on an aluminum hood, I'm soo sick of my steel hood... thing is friggin heavy! I had a few chances in the past to get one for a decent price and totally regret not snatching it up.

As far as the rear diff, I'd go with whichever parts you can get with the lowest miles, as long as whoever is selling to you give you a fair price. I have an empty R160 case + some additional hardware for it if you're interested.

<== Been driving a swapped RS for 5 years now.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:59 PM

I will be doing a rsti swap in the near future. Shouldn't be too hard, I already have a sti donor car lined up just need a car to swap the goodies in. Hopefully I can contribute to this thread once my busy schedules slows down a bit. Good luck with the project.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:14 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
Originally Posted by aboothman

now i need to decide on which 3.90 rear diff i want to use:

R180 with full sti hubs and axles - i really want to keep the hubs/axles i already have
r180 with spec-b rear axles - keeps hubs and front axles, but spec-b axles are $$$
r160 with 3.90 pinion swap and wrx vlsd - kind of $$ and difficult for what you get
r160 mlsd with jdm axles - good option, axles tricky to find, relies on sourcing old parts
no vlsd!!@!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:30 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Originally Posted by subaruwrx
Do you go on rs25.com? There is SO MUCH information on swaps over there as well as classifieds for all that old junk.
QFT ^^^^^^

+1 for rs25.com
Old 04-21-2010, 03:37 PM

Car Info: Impreza transformation
About suspension, I've been riding on HKS coilovers for some times now (before and after swapped) and they are obviously not designed for the bay area road. They are basically too stiff. After some research, Bilstein PSS9 seems to be a good DD plus some occasional track day coilovers. Of course, they are definitely more expensive than your shock/spring combo.

<== Been driving a swapped RS for almost a year!
Old 04-21-2010, 03:47 PM

Car Info: GD
Dennis! I love your car
Old 04-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Car Info: '99 RBP 2.5RS
im in the market to buy a blown sti motor

ne one know of ne thing

https://www.i-club.com/forums/wanted-22/wanted-blown-sti-complete-motor-longblock-216117/
Old 04-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Well everyone has probably seen my 98RS, swap will happen as soon as I find a totaled STI and have enough cash

Just picked up a set of F/R brembos for it, suspension that came with it is the Bilstien/Prodrive WR suspension which is hands down the best spring/strut combo Ive ever driven in my LIFE! And Abooth, dont know what kind of drop your looking or but those are the regular prodrive springs for the GC, not to hard to find, mice even drop. And if you already have the WRX housings then yes, DEFINITELY go konis over the KYBs, theyre only about $200 difference for all four but theres just no comparison
Old 04-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by subaruwrx
you using a EJ255?

my 1996 has an EJ20G in it, can I be part of the club?
Ya RS25 rocks. I check it out enough that I am wasting work time...and money I should not be wasting EJ20g welcome...hell any GC swaps welcome, whether 1.8l to 2.5l NA, auto manual, or turbo.

Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
Keep searching for a deal on an aluminum hood, I'm soo sick of my steel hood... thing is friggin heavy! I had a few chances in the past to get one for a decent price and totally regret not snatching it up.

As far as the rear diff, I'd go with whichever parts you can get with the lowest miles, as long as whoever is selling to you give you a fair price. I have an empty R160 case + some additional hardware for it if you're interested.

<== Been driving a swapped RS for 5 years now.
Thanks for the info!! Ya knowing how I am I will probably end up with an ALU hood...especially since I will be getting the car painted.

What R160 do you have? Is it 3.90? I have an extra WRX 3.54 sitting around, but I need the 3.90 carrier with pinion installed and the ring gear.

Mike at GST has an R180 that I will probably gram...it is funny cause I think it is the one I sold to him a year ago when they needed one for the 5 speed "test" in the L. I have a lead on some Spec B axles for a decent price, so I am leaning that way.

Glad to hear your car has been running well for so long!!

Originally Posted by STINGR
I will be doing a rsti swap in the near future. Shouldn't be too hard, I already have a sti donor car lined up just need a car to swap the goodies in. Hopefully I can contribute to this thread once my busy schedules slows down a bit. Good luck with the project.
I cannot wait to hear about your project. Keep us posted!!

Originally Posted by fizay
no vlsd!!@!
Agreed...unless I find a 3.90 carrier for the right price (cheap) with a ring gear in good shape. After swapping my WRX I am spoiled by the LSD feel.

Originally Posted by saintseiyaz
About suspension, I've been riding on HKS coilovers for some times now (before and after swapped) and they are obviously not designed for the bay area road. They are basically too stiff. After some research, Bilstein PSS9 seems to be a good DD plus some occasional track day coilovers. Of course, they are definitely more expensive than your shock/spring combo.

<== Been driving a swapped RS for almost a year!
One vote for Bilsteins...

Originally Posted by Krinkov
Well everyone has probably seen my 98RS, swap will happen as soon as I find a totaled STI and have enough cash

Just picked up a set of F/R brembos for it, suspension that came with it is the Bilstien/Prodrive WR suspension which is hands down the best spring/strut combo Ive ever driven in my LIFE! And Abooth, dont know what kind of drop your looking or but those are the regular prodrive springs for the GC, not to hard to find, mice even drop. And if you already have the WRX housings then yes, DEFINITELY go konis over the KYBs, theyre only about $200 difference for all four but theres just no comparison
Dude your car makes me hate my life...seriously. I am debating between flat black and aspen white...but my WRX is already blacked out.

The drop, color, wheels....just sick. What Bilstein suspension are you on?

I cannot find the GC Prodrives to save my life, although the GD ones are still available. I am really thinking about Konis with Ground Control sleeves. Then I can choose my ride height, have good dampening, and still have an acceptable springs rate and enough bump travel for a well behaved ride.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:12 PM

BTW Krinkov, I am stoked that you have a 98RS. While different from the L, I think they are close enough that we can compare notes. Check out this thread for an 06STI into a 98L:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1941039

Hatteroo has a V4 JDM cluster for sale that will ONLY fit a 98. I am hoping to swoop it up, as I will be keeping the GC dash, but if you are not swapping to STI cluster/dash you might want to check it out.

I am glad that this thread is getting off to a good start
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
As of tomorrow I will be the owner of a Aspen White 99' 2.5RS, it will be picked up Friday from EQ and taken straight to get swapped with a full 07 motor and drivetrain.

BTW Krinkov, I agree with you, I had the Prodrive WR Sport suspension on my old 00' rs before it was totaled and it drove amazing.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:47 PM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
Originally Posted by aboothman
Ya RS25 rocks. I check it out enough that I am wasting work time...and money I should not be wasting EJ20g welcome...hell any GC swaps welcome, whether 1.8l to 2.5l NA, auto manual, or turbo.

Thanks for the info!! Ya knowing how I am I will probably end up with an ALU hood...especially since I will be getting the car painted.

What R160 do you have? Is it 3.90? I have an extra WRX 3.54 sitting around, but I need the 3.90 carrier with pinion installed and the ring gear.

Mike at GST has an R180 that I will probably gram...it is funny cause I think it is the one I sold to him a year ago when they needed one for the 5 speed "test" in the L. I have a lead on some Spec B axles for a decent price, so I am leaning that way.

Glad to hear your car has been running well for so long!!

I cannot wait to hear about your project. Keep us posted!!

Agreed...unless I find a 3.90 carrier for the right price (cheap) with a ring gear in good shape. After swapping my WRX I am spoiled by the LSD feel.

One vote for Bilsteins...

Dude your car makes me hate my life...seriously. I am debating between flat black and aspen white...but my WRX is already blacked out.

The drop, color, wheels....just sick. What Bilstein suspension are you on?

I cannot find the GC Prodrives to save my life, although the GD ones are still available. I am really thinking about Konis with Ground Control sleeves. Then I can choose my ride height, have good dampening, and still have an acceptable springs rate and enough bump travel for a well behaved ride.
I sold my Prodrive WR Sport suspension for 700 bucks about a year ago, those things were like 2500 new I believe, so if you find some be sure to swoop up on them but they ain't gonna be cheap even with 80k+ miles lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bay Area - NorCal GC Swap Thread