Bay Area - NorCal GC Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 11:16 PM

Car Info: bici putas
driver kickplate for- I'm guessing- your shins when they are less important than your pelvis. It bolts to the dash support with m8 screws.

When dealing with torque req's with suspension, it's not critical. 184 ft/lbs vs. 180 ft/lbs vs. 190 ft lbs isn't anything. Anyone telling you that it's critical is full of the poop.

get a 1" pipe by 2 feet and slide it over yer breaker bar. there's 250 ft/lbs no prob.

The AC box you're on your own. I wired my car to run the '07 wrx engine and kept the stock everythingelse. To go newer HVAC you'll be hacking holes up in that firewall; or should I say, Castle AAAAARRRRRGGG
Old 07-27-2010, 08:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by knock
driver kickplate for- I'm guessing- your shins when they are less important than your pelvis. It bolts to the dash support with m8 screws.

When dealing with torque req's with suspension, it's not critical. 184 ft/lbs vs. 180 ft/lbs vs. 190 ft lbs isn't anything. Anyone telling you that it's critical is full of the poop.

get a 1" pipe by 2 feet and slide it over yer breaker bar. there's 250 ft/lbs no prob.
Cool - thanks! Yeah I hear you with the torque - I have always used my "torque multiplier" aka my jack handle. I set my wrench to 150 ft/lbs (the highest) and give it a little more after that. Was just thinking/ASSuming shops would have a way to measure that. For the JDM arms, I want to keep my ALK and I just don't know if I can break the nut nor if the ALK will come off the '98 front arms and go on the JDM arms - have to try and see.

Only thing I didn't like on the suspension so far is the rear 19mm long bolt and the way that the Whiteline bushings deform on the knuckle. Seems like there should be washers on the insides of the outer lateral links.

Originally Posted by knock
The AC box you're on your own. I wired my car to run the '07 wrx engine and kept the stock everythingelse. To go newer HVAC you'll be hacking holes up in that firewall; or should I say, Castle AAAAARRRRRGGG
Yep well that is probably the crappy part of doing this with a '95 then.. In your car, it wouldn't have been an issue. I wanted to go with the newer dash and I guess this is what you gotta do. I have nothing against the older dash per-se just that I like the newer dash better and there is more room for gauges. Just can't believe I cannot find ANY evidence of someone doing this yet. Darn it. Thanks for the tips!! Sorry you didn't end up getting to do this swap but then again maybe you aren't too bummed haha.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:20 AM
VIP Member

Can someone recommend a solution to plumb my VF39 to my EJ20? Looks like I need either an oil line with banjo's on either end or a threaded fitting-to-banjo but just not sure.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
I just used a ss oil line I got off of ebay on my vf34. Not exactly the same one but something like THIS.

You can use the stock wrx oil line too, not quite as easy to install though. I got one of those laying around if you're interested.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM

Car Info: Fast
Ya use stainless, such as the P&L kit. It has banjos, and it also has an adapter fitting to go with the VF-39.

You could probably pick up what you need at ATP, or figure out what you need and get it from Summit. Shoot me a PM if you want me to check my extra P&L kit for sizes later.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:34 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
I just used a ss oil line I got off of ebay on my vf34. Not exactly the same one but something like THIS.

You can use the stock wrx oil line too, not quite as easy to install though. I got one of those laying around if you're interested.
Cool - didn't even think of that.. Like THIS as well. Thanks!! Does the stock line have banjos on both ends or does it have a threaded fitting in there somewhere? The line on the VF-39 I have now has a banjo on the turbo end, but looks like a larger brake line with a flared end and a threaded cap.

Originally Posted by aboothman
Ya use stainless, such as the P&L kit. It has banjos, and it also has an adapter fitting to go with the VF-39.

You could probably pick up what you need at ATP, or figure out what you need and get it from Summit. Shoot me a PM if you want me to check my extra P&L kit for sizes later.
I contacted P&L as I didn't see the kit on their site. We'll see. I might go with that eBay setup just to get it on the car - it's a lot like the one I got for an older Celica ('93 All-Trac) when I put a T3/T4 on it. Simple stuff. At this stage it would be a lot easier for me to get a kit than do research, just too busy with work and crap. Traveling all over - I rarely get a moment with the car let alone time to go to a hardware store.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 AM
VIP Member

Well, no reply back from P&L so I will just go with the eBay setup. Hopefully it's not crap, but if it is I can use it as a template as I know Porterfield will be able to make me what ever I need from past experience. They hand crafted all of my nutty special brake lines in my Toyota modding days.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:57 AM

Ya one of the kits they sent me had the wrong size banjo fittings. I am waiting for them to get back to me about replacement, but they are pretty flaky these days.

I believe the banjo for the turbo is a 10mm, and the banjo that connects to the head is 12mm using a 4an line.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 PM

Kind of pricey through ATP, but here are the links.

10mm banjo fitting to -4an flare

12mm to -4an Banjo fitting

Custom length -4an oil feed line

Last edited by aboothman; 08-04-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:57 PM
VIP Member

Thanks for the info!! I have a line connected to the turbo, and a banjo bolt (only the bolt) lightly threaded into the head so that should be good for reference on both ends. Thanks again!
Old 09-05-2010, 04:51 PM
VIP Member

Ok.. Time for another round of "WTF IS THIS???"

I really appreciate the help by the way..

I got to this stage last night:

Which I will always remember as "the first time I installed my HVAC stuff" I fear.. I am concerned about these plugs that I found among other things. I am getting to the stage of where I probably need the help of someone who knows WTF they are doing. Anyway.

Here's the plugs unplugged on the ground - it's the large grey ones:

Here they are connected on my firewall:

It's basically two big grey plugs that obviously go together, only fit one way and secure with a bolt. Looks important..
Old 09-06-2010, 05:28 AM

Car Info: 04 Forester XT/96 Brighton Project
I dunno how you guys do these swaps. The amount of effort put into the wiring alone would fustrate the crap out of me.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:32 PM

Car Info: 2005 Stg.2 Wrx
Originally Posted by Hatteroo
I dunno how you guys do these swaps. The amount of effort put into the wiring alone would fustrate the crap out of me.
seriously..
Old 09-06-2010, 04:57 PM

Car Info: '14 Odyssey & '13 Prius
Originally Posted by Hatteroo
But it's half the fun! I'm looking for a L, OBS, or RS to start a swap of my own.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:05 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Giibo
But it's half the fun! I'm looking for a L, OBS, or RS to start a swap of my own.
Hmm. Maybe you should take over my swap project.

Quick Reply: Bay Area - NorCal GC Swap Thread