Bay Area - NorCal GC Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
just get the I-wire and throw it in the 98!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Krinkov
just get the I-wire and throw it in the 98!
Thing is, the '98 is a running car - just like my coupe was last May. Two broken Imprezas would kill me. If I knew this engine was tip-top I might even chance it even though it's just like doing it all over again. Since the original car was a '98, the only thing I would need to sort out would be the transmission connectors. I just can't break another car.. If the '98 pops a motor tomorrow that's another story. We'll see. I am just tired of having the car sit there. Talked to two shops months ago and the car still sits. The best overall scenario in any case is having it finished, that's a given.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:27 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Giibo
Sorry to hear that Wombat...at least you tried. Props to guys/gals that complete or at least attempt a swap. All the hard work and or money put into the project is worth the unique final product.

I'd like to do this to my forester one day (04 STi > 98 Forester): http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...light=sti+swap

similar deal: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...to-diary-9743/
Thanks. I could have tried much harder though..

Oh wow, that ForeSTi is awesome! I want to see updated pics with the new color.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:07 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Oh man I am so ****ing sick of having a broken Subaru in my garage. I literally HATE this car and would do just about anything to see it gone. Paying someone to haul all this **** to a wrecking yard would put me money ahead at this point. I would only be losing around ~$8k. Heaven forbid one of the shops stepped up and took it in, that figure would climb substantially to the point where I would need to have body work done. I lost interest in this car before I even gathered all the parts for the job. Maybe some time back in August of last year or something.

Let this be a lesson to anyone thinking about starting a swap. Kudos to you if you finished one. I see most of the swaps go one of two ways: professionally built and then sold immediately to recoup costs, or end up like mine - a pile of broken parts that just sits forever. Jeff - I think yours is one of the only ones I know of like it, and I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

If I were adamant about having a swapped early Impreza, I would look for a 1998, 1999, 2000, or 2001 car PERIOD and start from scratch with iWire. I am confident that I could have completed something like that. This '95 is too far away and this half-baked "swap the '95 to a '98 and then complete it" was doomed before it got started.

Whatever you do, don't try to swap a pre-'98 car if you want to do the interior too. Just don't.

If one of the shops that was going to do the swap (I did the physical swap while waiting to hear from a shop) called me tomorrow and said they were finally ready to take the car in, I am not sure I would go for it.

Maybe two months ago but not now. Such a shame.

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG Just got the "let's get the car in the shop this weekend" call like 5 minutes ago.... OMG OMG OMG.. So I was wrong then, turns out I would do it. I think I was getting seriously bummed at the lack of progress.

We'll see - stay tuned for the next emotional outburst. I should mention that I still hate this car, but if it ends up turning into a working vehicle, it will redeem itself.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
good luck homie! us swap thread regulars are rootin' for ya
Old 03-03-2011, 12:17 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by fizay
good luck homie! us swap thread regulars are rootin' for ya
Thanks! It actually helps a lot in the "down times" for what it's worth. If I get through this with a working, swapped Impreza I will basically be my own built-in hero.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Where is it goin to? Good luck, can't wait to see the finished product
Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by slugrx
Where is it goin to? Good luck, can't wait to see the finished product
A local shop over here on the peninsula. Just to finish up some wiring, verify electronics, check out the longblock (compression test, etc, been sitting for a bit) and connect the fuel system and check out torque specs on the entire car. Then, I will get it back to finish the body parts and interior, then to a body shop for final work, smog, and then - who knows!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Come on teamate!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
So amped for you. Hopefully it goes well from here on out. There's a good chance I will be taking on a similar swap in the next year or two (in a 2000 RS we've owned since new ).

-Brian
Old 03-03-2011, 02:52 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Come on teamate!
Yea! Yea! Yea!

Originally Posted by eastbaysubaru
So amped for you. Hopefully it goes well from here on out. There's a good chance I will be taking on a similar swap in the next year or two (in a 2000 RS we've owned since new ).

-Brian
Thanks! It really hasn't gone all that bad, but I am getting stressed because of impending baby.. Due date is 3.31!!

So it just sucks to see the car sit for 3 more months when it could have at least been out of my garage so we could get on with our lives. I think it's pretty funny that I got the call within hours of completely flipping out about it.

Yep - I checked your car out that time I came up to not buy your exhaust. Ironically that was supposed to be for this car.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:43 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Yea! Yea! Yea!

Thanks! It really hasn't gone all that bad, but I am getting stressed because of impending baby.. Due date is 3.31!!

So it just sucks to see the car sit for 3 more months when it could have at least been out of my garage so we could get on with our lives. I think it's pretty funny that I got the call within hours of completely flipping out about it.

Yep - I checked your car out that time I came up to not buy your exhaust. Ironically that was supposed to be for this car.

lol nice!

Is it tonys shop?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:00 PM

Car Info: Fast
I think I have finally decided to swap the L, but I would love to get some opinions on reality vs what I want.

I have a 98L automatic. Needs some body work (I just found replacement fenders and hood from a 95/96 OBS L for $200 at a salvage yard) but it has a straight frame. Salvage title due to bumper, fender, and headlight damage is one of the negatives.

I have a COMPLETE wiring harness from an 06 WRX with ECU, immobilizer, ignition, complete engine, and all the little bits. Would just need manual pedals for the 98L. I also have a complete STi swap, tranny, hubs, brembos, etc. Just need a clutch and axles, but I can sell the 4/2 pots on the car now to balance that out.

I love the look of the 2 door manual RS, but I can live with the 4 door. 99-01 RS demand a nutty amount of cash, I mean it is just dumb, and I have had little luck saving up or getting someone to work with me until I sell my extra 6 speed swap in 2 months.

So I have pretty much decided to use about half the money of buying an RS (not counting selling the L) to buy a JDM hood, bumper, etc and maybe a cheap paint job. I would like to start with a manual car, but I have the parts needed to do the auto to manual swap.

What do y'all think?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:27 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krinkov
lol nice!

Is it tonys shop?
Yep, but Martin is going to be doing the work. That guy's a magician, and does the nicest underhood work I have ever seen. Was just in there, standing under an '85 Testarossa.

Originally Posted by aboothman
I think I have finally decided to swap the L, but I would love to get some opinions on reality vs what I want.
Good idea!

I have a 98L automatic. Needs some body work (I just found replacement fenders and hood from a 95/96 OBS L for $200 at a salvage yard) but it has a straight frame. Salvage title due to bumper, fender, and headlight damage is one of the negatives.
Body work is no bigs, but the salvage title takes the wind out of your sails when it comes time to sell it. Apples to apples, the salvage title will devalue your hard work by about half. It would be worth while to find a clean title chassis if you intend to sell it down the road. Otherwise, the money will never come close to the reality of what you put it in. Sucks because it has no bearing on the actual quality of the car or the work put into it. This is primarily why I stay away from salvage title cars - because I will probably sell it down the road.

All of this really comes down to your goals with the car though. If you are going to swap it and track/race it - salvage title is a plus. If you are going to swap it, and drive it into the ground then salvage title doesn't matter.

I have a COMPLETE wiring harness from an 06 WRX with ECU, immobilizer, ignition, complete engine, and all the little bits. Would just need manual pedals for the 98L. I also have a complete STi swap, tranny, hubs, brembos, etc. Just need a clutch and axles, but I can sell the 4/2 pots on the car now to balance that out.
Do you mean you have basically two complete swaps, engine/trans everything - one '06 WRX and one STi? That is pretty rad, and gives you lots of choices. Of the top of my head, I would sell the STi setup to raise money and use the '06 WRX setup in the swap but that is just my knowledge-free deduction based on the similarity of what you could do with the two platforms and taking into account that the STi gear would possibly sell for more.

If my car works out and I end up keeping it, I will be needing a set of 4/2pots. Currently running WRX front/ Legacy rear brakes.

I love the look of the 2 door manual RS, but I can live with the 4 door. 99-01 RS demand a nutty amount of cash, I mean it is just dumb, and I have had little luck saving up or getting someone to work with me until I sell my extra 6 speed swap in 2 months.
I personally would not mind a 4-door. Also, a 4 door is more likely something I could keep for a long time versus a 2 door. I also don't think they look bad. The best thing would be to find a '99+ with a blown engine. Without one, yeah - they claim too much.

So I have pretty much decided to use about half the money of buying an RS (not counting selling the L) to buy a JDM hood, bumper, etc and maybe a cheap paint job. I would like to start with a manual car, but I have the parts needed to do the auto to manual swap.
Are there any real drawbacks to starting with an auto car? In my '95 I had to change the pedal box anyway. My advice would be to not get hung up on the JDM bits. If you can find them, great - do it, but get the USDM pieces to get you by, and get the nicer bits when the time comes. Sorta like me forgetting about my doors for a while and focusing on the engine setup. Just took realizing that I would rather drive the car around with no door panels at all than have it still sitting in my garage with "almost" power windows. If that makes any sense.

What do y'all think?
You're nuts! Haha but seriously, you are possibly in a better state to get it done than I have been. Plus, starting with a '98 is a better deal.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 PM

Car Info: Fast
Thanks for the advice! I think it is really the salvage title that is holding me up. The car is in great shape, but that is a big bummer. The auto harness is not a big deal as I can live without cruise control. I drive our crew carrier at work for hours at a time without cruise control, so I think I can deal lol.

I-wire will be doing the wiring so that is handled.

What I have is this:

- 06 WRX wiring, ECU, and COMPLETE engine

- 05 STi complete drivetrain

- 05 STI tranny, R180, spec b axles. Selling this to a friend to fund this operation.

I am not ready to start work yet anyway, so I will continue to hold out for a sweet deal on an RS. If only I could have scooped up Krinkov's car, or the other one I found the same day

Quick Reply: Bay Area - NorCal GC Swap Thread