Bay Area - NorCal GC Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Car Info: Blown Transmissions
Picked up the finished project yesterday (: only a few things need to be done to it. some small interior parts, and brakes need to be bled a little more, also rotors need to be turned but as far as everything else it runs great
Old 05-04-2010, 12:28 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Free stuff:
Door cards
Center Console
Dash bits
ABS units
Sunroof moving bits wiring harness
Few other mix and match stuff
Old 05-04-2010, 12:52 PM

Car Info: Fast
Is the center console for a MT by chance? You may have a few parts I will probably need to flesh out the swap...
Old 05-04-2010, 12:57 PM
VIP Member

It is an MT console. I'm doing a swap of a different sort...
Old 05-04-2010, 08:16 PM

Car Info: 4日本車
Dash color? Light Grey or Dark Grey?
Old 05-05-2010, 07:52 AM
VIP Member

Dark Grey.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
BUMP!

How's the projects going everyone? I need to change my oil pan and manifold this weekend and then get a little farther on the wiring. Front harness is in, started with the two main interior looms. Suspension is done except for the JDM control arms and everything needs to be torqued. '03 WRX engine, '04 WRX transmission, rear end, WRX front brakes, Legacy H6 rears, JDM V5 suspension w/ Whiteline parts here and there - DONE.

Also I have 3 sets of black/dark grey upper interior plastics if anyone needs some.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 05 LGT Wagon 5spd, '11 R6 Race
I'm looking at buying a swapped wagon. Only downside is that the interior is tan :|

I might take you up on that
Old 07-08-2010, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by salvator_rizzo
I'm looking at buying a swapped wagon. Only downside is that the interior is tan :|

I might take you up on that
All from a coupe - only issues. The tan in these years is really bad. I also have a grey '95 dash though.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:20 PM

Car Info: 91 legacy, 87 mr2, 17 forester xt
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
BUMP!

How's the projects going everyone? I need to change my oil pan and manifold this weekend and then get a little farther on the wiring. Front harness is in, started with the two main interior looms. Suspension is done except for the JDM control arms and everything needs to be torqued. '03 WRX engine, '04 WRX transmission, rear end, WRX front brakes, Legacy H6 rears, JDM V5 suspension w/ Whiteline parts here and there - DONE.

Also I have 3 sets of black/dark grey upper interior plastics if anyone needs some.
wowzer. you doing this swap all on your own?

looking nice!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:39 PM
VIP Member

I'm finally getting some money chunked up for the cage. Once that's done I can bring it home and start getting dirty.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:11 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by chochocho
wowzer. you doing this swap all on your own?

looking nice!!!!
Yeah looks that way. I am going to do as much as I can and then reach out for help when I get stuck. I still need some pieces, but trying to get a list worked out this weekend. Also started documenting it a little here.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:16 AM

Car Info: Fast
BUMP!

Sorry for the late reply...but I am stoked to see that you are moving forward on your project. Put up some more pics!!
Old 07-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
BUMP!

Miss my old wheels!!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krinkov
Miss my old wheels!!
They look HOT on my car, but those 255's are silly! They stick out around 1.5" out of the wheel well even with the camber correction kit on and the 5mm spacers removed!! Gonna have to go for camber plates I think either way. I have to say I really don't like the camber kit - seemed cheesy (Eibach).

Getting most of the physical stuff done:

Currently stuck on the interior - working with the A/C box... I went to put it in over the weekend but the hole in the firewall is different between the '95 and the '98 and I am not sure what to do. I need to somehow hold the box in place and look at the front of the firewall to see what I would need to cut, but if there is any way to get that in there without cutting the firewall, that would be rad. I have searched LOADS and not seen anyone run into this yet.

It's been fun grabbing random parts and figuring out where they go. Only one that has stumped me so far is this one:

Anyone know what that is or where it goes? I swear I have seen it somewhere haha..

Also - I need to figure out a solution for the oil line from the head to the turbo (EJ20 to VF-39).

So over the weekend I printed out my torque specs for the suspension, installed my camber kit and set about 5mm of a gap between the tire and the strut in the rear, and set it down on ramps to get to torquing. I also planned to install the JDM front control arms but I don't think I will be able to break the ALK nut off so I might have a shop do that when I get the car "done" as I cannot generate or measure 184ft/lbs of torque anyway!!

I am doing the swap myself, but since this is such a vast project and there is only one me, I plan to have someone go over it - like an inspection - before I can really call it done. I am big on checking and re-checking my work, but I mean - the only thing I have NOT taken off the car is the glass. Well, and the brake lines but that's it.

Anyone have any idea about the A/C box and the firewall hole? Am I just going to have to cut my firewall? AAARG.

Quick Reply: Bay Area - NorCal GC Swap Thread