Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

My 11' Sti is RUINED!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:49 PM

Car Info: 2011 STi Sedan Plasma Blue
Originally Posted by EQ Tuning
Holy Crap! Once you get the cam gear swapped out, make sure to do a leakdown test to make sure you didn't bend any valve from piston contact.

-- Ed
Hi Ed, I did a compression test before I bought the new ECU and both cyl on the rigth bank came out at 180PSI. Which made me think the cam/vavle was ok before I hooked up the scope. The pistons are 9.2:1.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:38 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
That's a lot of compression! I hope you're running E85 .

Sometimes a compression test won't show a slightly bent valve. A leakdown is really the only way to know for sure.

-- Ed
Old 08-11-2011, 03:49 PM

That's a lot of compression! I hope you're running E85 .

Sometimes a compression test won't show a slightly bent valve. A leakdown is really the only way to know for sure.

-- Ed
Can't even flash the ECU and so far COBB has just blew me off. Makes me wonder if its a known issue with 2011 STi that their AccessPort not working.

I was planning to go E85, but I would have to re-map for larger injectors so for now no E85 for me until I can find a way to flash my ECU.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

We could try to see if we can get access to it with OpenEcu. Very strange that the AP is having trouble with it.

-- Ed
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 PM

Had the cam gear installed today, the right bank now fires up, but now it has a back fire under load so maybe the valves are bent I am sure they are because I dont think they would survive a 60deg intake valve time.

Here is a pic of the new cam gear and the old one.

The one on the left is the new one, and you can see how far off the center piece is on the one on the right which has spun when the stupid mechanic torq it down to 65ft/lb

I don't know how much this going to cost me to get fix
Old 08-13-2011, 12:12 PM

Car Info: STI 2006 White Stage 666
maybe you forgot to plug something in?
Old 08-13-2011, 01:59 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by YFZ450Lynx
Had the cam gear installed today, the right bank now fires up, but now it has a back fire under load so maybe the valves are bent I am sure they are because I dont think they would survive a 60deg intake valve time.

Here is a pic of the new cam gear and the old one.

The one on the left is the new one, and you can see how far off the center piece is on the one on the right which has spun when the stupid mechanic torq it down to 65ft/lb

I don't know how much this going to cost me to get fix
Yep, at 60* I doubt the valves would have survived. Its not going to be a cheap fix sadly. Most likely a few valves, valve guides, some machining work, and all the labor with pulling the motor and head.

-- Ed

-- Ed
Old 08-13-2011, 02:04 PM

Car Info: 2004 WW Evo RS
Is the person who did the work going to fix this?
Old 08-13-2011, 03:15 PM

Yep, at 60* I doubt the valves would have survived. Its not going to be a cheap fix sadly. Most likely a few valves, valve guides, some machining work, and all the labor with pulling the motor and head.

-- Ed

-- Ed
Thats what I thought

Originally Posted by SeaOfGreen
Is the person who did the work going to fix this?
The person who did this was my cousin who said he was a best STi mechanic out there, he tells me he builds fast STi all the time that he worked on over 200 STi/WRX, he lives in Texas and he always tell me no one knows the car better them him, I never want him touching my car again. he also said he always torq down the cam gear at 65ft/lb, I even question him about that because AVCS are delicate.

I flew him up from Texas to work on my car because it had a ringland failure, I bought some new pistons to go in, he told me he had cosworth motor for me, so I paid him about $5,000 for the motor, he took my piston i bought and sold them to someone else and did not even give me the money for the piston. He said I don't need the piston since I getting a motor.

When he show up with the motor I found a few things wrong with it, the rod had too much gap. I question him about the rod play and he said its for high rev, I told him that play will pound the heck out of the bearing and destroy it. He told me that I don't know anything about Subaru and that he knows alot more then I.

When he put the cosworh motor in my car, he drive all the bolts in to the block with the air gun with out even starting it with his finger, and he did not use a torq wrech to put them in to spec he just drives it in with the airgun and ruin 3 threads and snap 2 bolts.

After the motor was in, I started up the car and you can hear the rod knock was loud, he said it was piston slap because its using forge piston, which to me it was more rod knocking sound then piston slap, so after 300 miles the motor burned out cly #1 which look like piston/ring gap was too small and scrape the heck out of the cyl and melted the rings together. And the Rod knock was getting worse every day.

He told me I blew the motor up, and I was running it too lean, which AFR was 10:1 under boost which is not lean.

So I had to buy a new set of pistons to put in the new block which are cosworth 9.2:1 that cost me $750 and I yet never saw the money from the piston I bought before. So we put those in my stock motor. On the 1st start I heard a loud slap and it never idle right after that, he said that noise was normal. cyl #1 and #3 was not firing, plug was dry and no sign of carbon on the new plugs. He said I had bad injectors so he swap out my new injectors with a 2008 STi used injectors and the car still did not run, the ECU was reporting 60deg intake cam timing at idle my mouth drop and I said "What the hell?! The cam is at 60deg no wonder the car does not run.." He told me "That is normal" and I said "No, cam max physical advance can go is about 30deg and its suppose to be at 0deg" and he goes on how I don't know much about subaru and that I am wrong, and that my ECU is most likely bad.

After he said it was my ECU he said "My job is done here, replace your ECU and its all good, I am going home now, and you owe me 1 month of labor for your car"

I got a call at work from my mom telling my my cousin is putting stuff in his car and taking off.

I turned out my cousin took the cosworth motor I paid for, took my tools, and took money out of my piggy bank in my bedroom and 35 bucks from my wallet including the loose change in my wallet. So I was only left with my stock motor.

he was here for 1 month but he slept most of the time, he didn't do much work on my car at all beside swapping motor and pistons." which someone can do in 2 to 3 days full time which he had full time when he was here.

So after buying a new ECU, and the car still does not run, I went out and barrow a oscilloscope and hooked up one channel to the crank sensor and the other channel on the cam sensor, and I notice on the scope that the cam was opening 60deg before top dead center of the crank sensor. So that's when I told myself I need to buy a cam gear.

The noise on the 1st start must of been the piston hitting the valves
Old 08-13-2011, 04:48 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Oh man! That's a horrible story. I don't know who your cousin is, but we have recently seen a handful of cars come in that were worked on in Texas with awful mistakes like this.

Sounds like you need to take your car to a real shop.

-- Ed
Old 08-14-2011, 06:15 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Oh man! That's a horrible story. I don't know who your cousin is, but we have recently seen a handful of cars come in that were worked on in Texas with awful mistakes like this.

Sounds like you need to take your car to a real shop.

-- Ed
It makes me wonder if the cars you're working on that had work done in Texas was done by his cousin....
Old 08-14-2011, 09:10 AM

Thats what I thought

The person who did this was my cousin who said he was a best STi mechanic out there, he tells me he builds fast STi all the time that he worked on over 200 STi/WRX, he lives in Texas and he always tell me no one knows the car better them him, I never want him touching my car again. he also said he always torq down the cam gear at 65ft/lb, I even question him about that because AVCS are delicate.

I flew him up from Texas to work on my car because it had a ringland failure, I bought some new pistons to go in, he told me he had cosworth motor for me, so I paid him about $5,000 for the motor, he took my piston i bought and sold them to someone else and did not even give me the money for the piston. He said I don't need the piston since I getting a motor.

When he show up with the motor I found a few things wrong with it, the rod had too much gap. I question him about the rod play and he said its for high rev, I told him that play will pound the heck out of the bearing and destroy it. He told me that I don't know anything about Subaru and that he knows alot more then I.

When he put the cosworh motor in my car, he drive all the bolts in to the block with the air gun with out even starting it with his finger, and he did not use a torq wrech to put them in to spec he just drives it in with the airgun and ruin 3 threads and snap 2 bolts.

After the motor was in, I started up the car and you can hear the rod knock was loud, he said it was piston slap because its using forge piston, which to me it was more rod knocking sound then piston slap, so after 300 miles the motor burned out cly #1 which look like piston/ring gap was too small and scrape the heck out of the cyl and melted the rings together. And the Rod knock was getting worse every day.

He told me I blew the motor up, and I was running it too lean, which AFR was 10:1 under boost which is not lean.

So I had to buy a new set of pistons to put in the new block which are cosworth 9.2:1 that cost me $750 and I yet never saw the money from the piston I bought before. So we put those in my stock motor. On the 1st start I heard a loud slap and it never idle right after that, he said that noise was normal. cyl #1 and #3 was not firing, plug was dry and no sign of carbon on the new plugs. He said I had bad injectors so he swap out my new injectors with a 2008 STi used injectors and the car still did not run, the ECU was reporting 60deg intake cam timing at idle my mouth drop and I said "What the hell?! The cam is at 60deg no wonder the car does not run.." He told me "That is normal" and I said "No, cam max physical advance can go is about 30deg and its suppose to be at 0deg" and he goes on how I don't know much about subaru and that I am wrong, and that my ECU is most likely bad.

After he said it was my ECU he said "My job is done here, replace your ECU and its all good, I am going home now, and you owe me 1 month of labor for your car"

I got a call at work from my mom telling my my cousin is putting stuff in his car and taking off.

I turned out my cousin took the cosworth motor I paid for, took my tools, and took money out of my piggy bank in my bedroom and 35 bucks from my wallet including the loose change in my wallet. So I was only left with my stock motor.

he was here for 1 month but he slept most of the time, he didn't do much work on my car at all beside swapping motor and pistons." which someone can do in 2 to 3 days full time which he had full time when he was here.

So after buying a new ECU, and the car still does not run, I went out and barrow a oscilloscope and hooked up one channel to the crank sensor and the other channel on the cam sensor, and I notice on the scope that the cam was opening 60deg before top dead center of the crank sensor. So that's when I told myself I need to buy a cam gear.

The noise on the 1st start must of been the piston hitting the valves
WOW, sorry to here that story. First off I hope you learned from this experience. I would have a shop that knows what they are doing fix this problem, it seems you have created much more work, time and damage on this car. I guessing at this point you just want to blow this car up? If that was my cousin he be laying in the Hospital asking me to pay his medical bills. I have followed this thread the whole time, seems the original issue was the AP and car not running right. You have created thousands of dollars worth of work to you car, could of been a new turbo and the works of parts. I would really consider calling ED up or what ever shop is close and drop the car off! Good luck, keep us posted on progress.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 AM

WOW, sorry to here that story. First off I hope you learned from this experience. I would have a shop that knows what they are doing fix this problem, it seems you have created much more work, time and damage on this car. I guessing at this point you just want to blow this car up? If that was my cousin he be laying in the Hospital asking me to pay his medical bills. I have followed this thread the whole time, seems the original issue was the AP and car not running right. You have created thousands of dollars worth of work to you car, could of been a new turbo and the works of parts. I would really consider calling ED up or what ever shop is close and drop the car off! Good luck, keep us posted on progress.
My cousin had be believing he was better then a good shop he went on saying he been working on STi for years and he knows all the in and out better then anyone around, he was so believing I trusted him, I never thought it would of turn out like this. But ya I will send my car to AutoHQ. I would never want to blow this car up, its a good car that just needs its motor working again. I am too kind of a guy to hurt anyone for any reason, its probably why my cousin took an advantage of me.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:40 AM

My cousin had be believing he was better then a good shop he went on saying he been working on STi for years and he knows all the in and out better then anyone around, he was so believing I trusted him, I never thought it would of turn out like this. But ya I will send my car to AutoHQ. I would never want to blow this car up, its a good car that just needs its motor working again. I am too kind of a guy to hurt anyone for any reason, its probably why my cousin took an advantage of me.
Lol, you didn't question him when he was doin all this crap work? As soon as he took a air tool to my car like he did I would of stoped him! Atleast when you finish your car it will have forged pistons!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:45 AM

Lol, you didn't question him when he was doin all this crap work? As soon as he took a air tool to my car like he did I would of stoped him! Atleast when you finish your car it will have forged pistons!

I did question him on every thing I saw that was wrong and he goes off yelling at me saying "How many subaru have you worked on?! None! I work on so many I know how to do this!" or he say "I am not your slave so don't tell me what to do!!!" and I tell him "This is a brand new car, its my dream car so please take care of it".. He made me feeling he was going to beat me up when i question his work, I get scared of him.

Quick Reply: My 11' Sti is RUINED!