Where to buy OEM shocks other than the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:43 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx
Hey "mr. White nice guy" lol...sell me your mach v if you plan to go another route
Old 01-20-2013, 08:44 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Gancherov
OEM struts are re-labeled KYB units. Buy the KYB replacement from RockAuto or Napa or Oreilly and you'll save the dealership/Subaru markup.

Coilovers are not a substitute for fixed perch OEM style struts. They WILL NOT LAST the same expected ~70k miles that OEM style struts will. Especially with the crap roads in the bay. Coilovers ARE NOT BETTER THAN OEM. To say otherwise would mean you are ignorant of the purpose of the vehicle and the intended use of it's components.

Coilovers are for motorsport, or more often lately, they are for stance. Daily driving on coils is a waste of time, money, and ***-comfort.
I usually don't disagree with you, but I installed my bc br coilovers in september 2010 with appx 95-8k on my car...its got 164k now and they are the same as when I installed them (they were used with 8-10k miles on them)
Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by GrnFozzy
Hey "mr. White nice guy" lol...sell me your mach v if you plan to go another route
"mr white nice guy" LOL I like the ring of that haha. I won't be going another route unless I get a good used setup for 4-5 bills. Its looking like I'm getting kyb excel g's and keeping my springs and top hats
Old 01-20-2013, 09:18 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by esousa22
I dont have an STi. I was going to rebuild them myself and install zerc fittings but it isnt possible with wrx struts. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think their revalve service doesn't apply to my struts

Thanks tho
rallyracingsuspension.com - Inserts for Impreza non STI struts (02-07)
Old 01-20-2013, 09:28 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by slugrx
I usually don't disagree with you, but I installed my bc br coilovers in september 2010 with appx 95-8k on my car...its got 164k now and they are the same as when I installed them (they were used with 8-10k miles on them)
I will admit they are not the best application for a DD or a track car, but they will "work" and "function" for more than six months
Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 PM

thats inserts.. not a rebuild.. haha
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon, 90 celica alltrac, 66 mustang
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Koni...-Inserts-Front

An insert is rebuilding the shock.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:43 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
I had Kyb gr2 and pro drive springs on my old wrx wagon, worked good. Supposedly the gr2 is ~15% stiffer than stock.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:12 PM

What's wrong with inserts? There are many Subies with inserts, such as the Koni yellows.

Originally Posted by queeg9k
Yup
Old 01-20-2013, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by queeg9k
from what I'm reading its more of installing completely new components and the only thing being reused is the tophat and the strut. New shock, bump stops. I figured a rebuild was, well, a rebuild. Regrease or whatever the hell. I am by no means, willing to fork out $985 for a dam "rebuild" I'll buy coils for around that price lol
Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 PM

from what I'm reading its more of installing completely new components and the only thing being reused is the tophat and the strut. New shock, bump stops. I figured a rebuild was, well, a rebuild. Regrease or whatever the hell. I am by no means, willing to fork out $985 for a dam "rebuild" I'll buy coils for around that price lol
I'm very sure the ride quality will be better with the inserts than with cheap coilovers. Just because it's a "rebuild" doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Talk to JourdanWithaU, since he just installed Konis and had BCs. You should also talk to flukewrx and Heedz. Both have experience with inserts and loved them. You're going to have very crappy ride quality with cheap coilovers.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by G_Ride
I'm very sure the ride quality will be better with the inserts than with cheap coilovers. Just because it's a "rebuild" doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Talk to JourdanWithaU, since he just installed Konis and had BCs. You should also talk to flukewrx and Heedz. Both have experience with inserts and loved them. You're going to have very crappy ride quality with cheap coilovers.
I didnt say they were a bad thing. Nor did Imply that. I'm sure they are great but I cant see myself forking out a rack ATM. I'm 21 and dont even work full time. Once I get a career, then thats another story. I barely have a rack in my account! I just can't spend more than 500 at this time. I know the konis are great and I'm sure the link you provided with the rebuild service is a great option as well, but its an option out of my window of spending.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
here's feal

rallyracingsuspension.com - Coilover Rebuilding
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 PM

I didnt say they were a bad thing. Nor did Imply that. I'm sure they are great but I cant see myself forking out a rack ATM. I'm 21 and dont even work full time. Once I get a career, then thats another story. I barely have a rack in my account! I just can't spend more than 500 at this time. I know the konis are great and I'm sure the link you provided with the rebuild service is a great option as well, but its an option out of my window of spending.
In that case go with others have said and just order OE replacements from rock auto. I've ordered stuff from them and like others have said, parts there are cheap.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
The reason why I was thinking megans is because my buddy with his 08 has megan streets and has put some miles on them and has no complaints. I've heard nothing but people baggin on them though but he likes them
Megan coils are junk, improper valving, springs rates all put together in a package

Uhh.. where have you seen "cheap" megans last 6 months? My buddy has had his on for about 2 years
What kind of driving? 2 Years for me would be 50k miles and about 10-15k of it on a mountain road

What's wrong with inserts? There are many Subies with inserts, such as the Koni yellows.

Yup
In that case go with others have said and just order OE replacements from rock auto. I've ordered stuff from them and like others have said, parts there are cheap.
Koni's would cost about $600 after shipping they should be going on spring sale soon. Why waste $500 on a stock set up with springs that aren't really meant to be there with the set up? Yeah it may last XX amount of years and miles but in the long run, you buy koni's they have a warranty (I think lifetime). Inserts are the way to go on a street car that you want to have some fun with, correct valving not only that you can still adjust them. I've heard good about tokiko D-specs and have driven a car with them on but I know they are picky with spring selection.

Now to the money issue I know where you're coming from, I'm in the same boat. But that difference of $100 was huge. I went from stock suspension, stock struts with H-Techs to Koni+Swift with a pillowball LCA, which rode better. The answer is clear.

Quick Reply: Where to buy OEM shocks other than the dealer