Where to buy OEM shocks other than the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
+1 for Koni yellows. Lifetime warranty is great if you're just daily driving it and don't need an aggressive valving. Mine lasted about 100k miles before starting to weep oil, called up Koni and they said weeping oil is almost a 100% guarantee for warranty, faxed in my info with a form you fill out online, and bam, a week later, new shocks at my door.

What's great, is if your shocks are older than 5 years, they'll replace the pair (front or rear) instead of just one corner. If you're going to keep your car for a while, it's worth the investment.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:38 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
+1 for Koni yellows. Lifetime warranty is great if you're just daily driving it and don't need an aggressive valving. Mine lasted about 100k miles before starting to weep oil, called up Koni and they said weeping oil is almost a 100% guarantee for warranty, faxed in my info with a form you fill out online, and bam, a week later, new shocks at my door.

What's great, is if your shocks are older than 5 years, they'll replace the pair (front or rear) instead of just one corner. If you're going to keep your car for a while, it's worth the investment.
Exxxxactly
Old 01-21-2013, 07:19 AM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Heedz
Megan coils are junk, improper valving, springs rates all put together in a package

What kind of driving? 2 Years for me would be 50k miles and about 10-15k of it on a mountain road

Koni's would cost about $600 after shipping they should be going on spring sale soon. Why waste $500 on a stock set up with springs that aren't really meant to be there with the set up? Yeah it may last XX amount of years and miles but in the long run, you buy koni's they have a warranty (I think lifetime). Inserts are the way to go on a street car that you want to have some fun with, correct valving not only that you can still adjust them. I've heard good about tokiko D-specs and have driven a car with them on but I know they are picky with spring selection.

Now to the money issue I know where you're coming from, I'm in the same boat. But that difference of $100 was huge. I went from stock suspension, stock struts with H-Techs to Koni+Swift with a pillowball LCA, which rode better. The answer is clear.
The guy with megans just daily's it, I think hes driven in the mountains maybe twice so not even 100 miles. The KYB's would only be 310 shipped to my door. As far as konis go, can you(or anybody) provide me with everything I need to run the koni setup on my 2004 wrx. I've got stock tophats/struts and mach v lowering springs. I don't know if its relevant but I'm running 234/45/17 on 17x8 2011 WRX rims.

Thanks for al the info heedz
Old 01-21-2013, 07:21 AM

I plan on keeping my car for the rest of its life! Going to become a garage queen at one point with a swap and whatnot haha. Sounds like thats going to be the way to go, just want to learn a bit more first before I bite the bullet.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Heedz
Koni's would cost about $600 after shipping they should be going on spring sale soon.
Awesome - can you link me? I keep seing $750+ shipping but I am probably doing it wrong!

As many have said, the Koni yellows are awesome. I work it like this: if I am selling the car, I would put GR-2's on it. They are great, but they are a stock replacement. AGXs are between Koni yellows and the GR-2s, but will be cheaper to "have installed" since they come with the spring perch and do not require assembly. If you are keeping your car forever, just do what you need to save up for the Konis and the install. It will be worth it.

GR-2s would be okay. AGX would be better. Konis will show you what suspension control is supposed to be like.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:15 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by wombatsauce

Awesome - can you link me? I keep seing $750+ shipping but I am probably doing it wrong!

As many have said, the Koni yellows are awesome. I work it like this: if I am selling the car, I would put GR-2's on it. They are great, but they are a stock replacement. AGXs are between Koni yellows and the GR-2s, but will be cheaper to "have installed" since they come with the spring perch and do not require assembly. If you are keeping your car forever, just do what you need to save up for the Konis and the install. It will be worth it.

GR-2s would be okay. AGX would be better. Konis will show you what suspension control is supposed to be like.
That $600 isn't for the 02-07 Impreza unfortunately. That's the price I see for the 05+ Legacy and 08+ Impreza. The best Koni price I've seen for 02-07 is $700-750.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Gr-2's are being phased out for "excel-g" shocks..there are some gr-2s out there, but its mostly excel-g now...think the only difference is name and I think shock body color

Didn't know about the lifetime with koni yellows..good stuff
Old 01-21-2013, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by slugrx
Gr-2's are being phased out for "excel-g" shocks..there are some gr-2s out there, but its mostly excel-g now...think the only difference is name and I think shock body color

Didn't know about the lifetime with koni yellows..good stuff
The excel g is the gr2 with a different shock.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by G_Ride
That $600 isn't for the 02-07 Impreza unfortunately. That's the price I see for the 05+ Legacy and 08+ Impreza. The best Koni price I've seen for 02-07 is $700-750.
yeah, I cant find any for 600 like heedz was saying but he had a leggy so he was probably going off that. I cant fork out for than $500, I am considering being the test dummy on the racelandus coilovers just for the f*ck of it. I know they will most likely go to crap in about a year or two but by then I'll have spare cash to drop on some other suspension parts.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by esousa22
yeah, I cant find any for 600 like heedz was saying but he had a leggy so he was probably going off that. I cant fork out for than $500, I am considering being the test dummy on the racelandus coilovers just for the f*ck of it. I know they will most likely go to crap in about a year or two but by then I'll have spare cash to drop on some other suspension parts.
You should just get a replacement from RockAuto Parts Catalog for now and save up for what you really want.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by slugrx
I usually don't disagree with you, but I installed my bc br coilovers in september 2010 with appx 95-8k on my car...its got 164k now and they are the same as when I installed them (they were used with 8-10k miles on them)
I assure you they are not. There are people out their with stock struts with over 200k on them that aren't leaking even though finding stock WRX struts that still work properly with over ~80k miles on them would be an impossibility. Coilovers require periodic rebuilds. Teins have a service interval of 40k miles. BC does not have a stated rebuild mileage but I can tell you now that Teins will last longer. By design BC BRs have a shorter lifespan given the same usage.

GR-2s will raise the front of your car a about 1/2 an inch.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by Brfatal
I assure you they are not. There are people out their with stock struts with over 200k on them that aren't leaking even though finding stock WRX struts that still work properly with over ~80k miles on them would be an impossibility. Coilovers require periodic rebuilds. Teins have a service interval of 40k miles. BC does not have a stated rebuild mileage but I can tell you now that Teins will last longer. By design BC BRs have a shorter lifespan given the same usage.

To be fair, most of the time with suspension, it fails so gradually that most people do not detect an abrupt change, and do not realize things have worn out or what-have-you. I agree with you, if he were to swap out for a new or rebuilt set of the same, there would definitely be a difference. Stuff like suspension experiences a good amount of wear and degradation in 60k+ miles of usage, but unless something fails drastically - most people do not notice.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:44 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
To be fair, most of the time with suspension, it fails so gradually that most people do not detect an abrupt change, and do not realize things have worn out or what-have-you. I agree with you, if he were to swap out for a new or rebuilt set of the same, there would definitely be a difference. Stuff like suspension experiences a good amount of wear and degradation in 60k+ miles of usage, but unless something fails drastically - most people do not notice.
I know. That's what I was getting at.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal

RAISE my car! WTF! I don't want that.. As asked in my OP, maybe you'll have the answer, how long do you think GR2s will last with mach v lowering springs? Will they cause any harm? I'll take picks of the stance of my car after work to give an idea on how low it sits compared to stock.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by G_Ride
You should just get a replacement from RockAuto Parts Catalog for now and save up for what you really want.
I found a better price that rockauto but I might go that route but I figured for 310 I get the gr2s oe replacements or for 500 get the racelandus to try them out so someone can finally have a legitimate write up and review on those coilovers for the people that are on a budget and trying to get coils. I'm aware that 9.5/10 people think they are going to be trash, but hey, you never know until they actually get used and tested by an enthusiast.

Quick Reply: Where to buy OEM shocks other than the dealer