Where to buy OEM shocks other than the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 11:54 AM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Originally Posted by awdorgtfo
But like I said earlier. A lot of people have been buying fortune auto coilovers lately. That's what I'll be buying when I get the money.
I've ridden in cars with Koni setups, Stance, BC, KW V3, Megan, high end AST and Quantum coilovers. I guarantee you that the ride quality in the higher end coilovers is amazing. Konis ride well for just being struts. The lower end coilovers are harsh rides. You get what you pay for.

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
After I removed and took apart the shock/spring assembly, this is what I used.

Hack saw - You'll be cutting up your old shock
White out/something to mark the shock with - To mark where you'll be cutting and drilling.
Something to measure with - To measure where you'll be cutting and drilling
Drill/drill bit - You need to drill out a hole in the bottom to bolt the Koni into the created sleeve.
Somewhere to put the old shock oil
(optional) D_Rex Koni extenders - D_rex Koni strut exten

You'll be cutting way above the spring perch, so you'll have no issues with your springs as long as they use the stock perch.

Best I've found is about $700 shipped. Just found this on google. They have a 15% off coupon today only.

KONI Sport Yellow Shocks - Koni Yellow Struts - Koni Inserts

If you can't fork out more than $500, and you think that only your rears are blown, why not just get the Konis for the rears today and the fronts later? You'll save the $500 you'd be spending on the coilovers in the long run, and if you're already kind of low on cash, that'll go a long way overall.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:00 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by Heedz
Fortune auto? Definitely a waste.
have you used them or ridden in a car with them? if not, keep those comments to yourself
Old 01-21-2013, 12:04 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Yes I have, 05 wrx. ****tttyyyyyyy.

So don't go blabbering just yet.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Gancherov
Why bother starting a thread and asking for advice? If you just want to spend as little money as possible and don't care about the ride quality or handling, get whatever crap you want. Racelands will let you lower your **** so you can stuff some big wheels under the fenders and hang out in parking lots, so they're perfect if that's what you're into.

Those raceland and fortune auto coilovers have been on the market for years at this point. You still can't find a good writeup about the quality? WONDER WHY?
I posted the thread because I want to know peoples opinions on their setups, what they have, keep your judgements about me to yourself because you have no clue what I want. I'm trying to learn about my car, what can be used and what is with my budget. I want all options thrown into this thread with the opinions on them. I'm well aware that most low budget coilovers are trash but nobody knows a damn thing about the racelands and I'm willing to try them out the be the guy that puts a good writeup somewhere whether they turn out terrible or great, nobody knows. So far I can choose excel g's which seem like they will blow soon with lowering springs, konis, a little out of my price range but I will see if I can scrounge up the money for because they seem adequate and a lifetime warranty is GREAT. Go with racelands because they I dont want to lower my car, thats not my intention in any way. I dont want big wheels. I'm keeping my 17x8s. You wonder why? well pepole havent even purchased them because people like you automatically assume they are garbage since they are so cheap in price but very few if any have purchased them and used them or been in a car with them, thats why there arent any good write ups. and by good, I don't mean positive, I mean a thread with substantial information on why or why not get the product.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:15 PM

Yes I have, 05 wrx. ****tttyyyyyyy.

So don't go blabbering just yet.
I'm not blabbering just stating because I know how opinionated you can be
Old 01-21-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by esousa22
I'm not blabbering just stating because I know how opinionated you can be

Look at my helpful post, I guess its too opinionated

tl;dr
Old 01-21-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by G_Ride
I've ridden in cars with Koni setups, Stance, BC, KW V3, Megan, high end AST and Quantum coilovers. I guarantee you that the ride quality in the higher end coilovers is amazing. Konis ride well for just being struts. The lower end coilovers are harsh rides. You get what you pay for.

I'm okay with a harsh ride, I just don't want them to break. Ride quality isn't my concern. I'm young and still have a back, maybe after the low end coils I wont though haha . I'm surprised you stated Megans in the high end department as most in this thread disagree, unless you mean the higher end ones and not the streets.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Harsh ride? They just aren't a harsh ride, their dampening rebound compression suck along with it.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:21 PM

Look at my helpful post, I guess its too opinionated

tl;dr
a helpful post would have said, I've been in a car/ owned a car with fortune autos and they are trash. Either way your post is NOW helpful knowing that you have ridden in a car with them.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
I'm okay with a harsh ride, I just don't want them to break. Ride quality isn't my concern. I'm young and still have a back, maybe after the low end coils I wont though haha . I'm surprised you stated Megans in the high end department as most in this thread disagree, unless you mean the higher end ones and not the streets.
I never meant to say Megans were high end, because they aren't. When you get the chance to be in a car with high end coilvers, you'd be surprised by the ride.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM

a helpful post would have said, I've been in a car/ owned a car with fortune autos and they are trash. Either way your post is NOW helpful knowing that you have ridden in a car with them.
uhhuh sure.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:50 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
RACELAND coilovers? - Page 29 - NASIOC that took me a while to find

read this too:
Cheap coilovers and droop - NASIOC
Old 01-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Car Info: http://kiva.org/invitedby/brett4254
... and another thread streaks the bowl on the way down...
Old 01-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Esousa, if you're not driving the car in competitive level motorsports on a regular basis, then coilovers are not for you as you're spending money either on crappy cheap parts or spending it on good ones that are wasted money because they offer adjustability and capabilities you won't utilize in street driving.

Stick with D-Specs, Koni Yellows, or stock replacements.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Car Info: 00RS
Where you located at? I get about a 30% discount on oreilly's. Let me know.

Quick Reply: Where to buy OEM shocks other than the dealer