Stevens Creek Subaru Asks You Bay Area What Went Wrong?

Old 08-30-2005, 10:59 PM
mot
Likes The Color Purple

Car Info: plug-in prius
Originally Posted by thefreak
Hey Bay Area! I've never really introduced myself...My name is Brian Bakhtiari and I am one of the managers here at Stevens Creek Subaru. I was just wondering if you have had any bad experiences with us in the past, what they were and what (if anything) was done on our part to resolve the issue. Whether it be here or in person, I would like to talk to you guys/gals and see what we can do to resolve any issues you have had with us in the past.
i asked you to lube my seatbelt spring or whatever it is that is making screeching noises when i pull the seatbelt down, but that was never done. anyway, nice post.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:04 PM

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been on for the past few days, I've been sick (still am) with some weird virus. I have read this post and know about this incident. Lets just say both parties were at fault.

In the end we were the biggest losers of this whole ordeal, because one we lost a sale. Two, we now have to deal with the embarrasment of this ordeal here online. Lastly the "little slam" resulted in a broken door that has yet to be fixed...(it wasn't a little slam).

Obviously there are two sides to every disagreement, but in the end we were way out of line for getting upset at your friends. Period. No matter how rude Jake was, or how badly the door was damaged.
The simple fact that you need to respond with a "there are two sides to every argument" to a case where a salesman withheld keys and had to be held back from laying down a potential beat down on a customer... REGARDLESS of who was at fault... just fits into line with the overall reputation of Stevens Creek Subaru. You would NEVER hear something like this come out of Carlsen or Santa Cruz... you'd need to walk in and start punching old ladies and babies to create that kind of scene.

A while ago I was talking to a friend up in Seattle who is wanting to buy a 2006 WRX Wagon when they arrived and he was complaining about dealing with "slimey" salesmen, etc, but I had to tell him "it isn't as bad as this place down here". Not because I have a personal vendetta against Stevens Creek, but because I have seriously never heard so many horror stories from a single dealership.

Over the past few years I've seen maybe one or two posts from people unhappy with Carlsen. I don't know if I've seen ANY negative feedback from Santa Cruz. Given the constant barrage of negative stories from Stevens Creek.... it's mind boggling. It like there is someting in the water over there. It seems like it would take YEARS to undo that kind of damage. Not like I'm a market/consumer dynamics expert or anything, but when first hand stories sound terrible, just imagine what friends are telling friends when these Stevens Creek stories get passed around. With the Subaru enthusiast community growing, it just seems like that will continue - and from what I've seen here, it's rightfully earned.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:38 AM

Car Info: 06 Evo MR
http://www.subaru.com/tools/contactus/index.jsp

Anyone? Should we forward this to subaru so they can have a looksy? And Subaru if you do end of reading through this mess I'll be more than happen to detail every bad incident with you so long as you promise to deal with this dealership.

Dealerships like this one will hurt you in the future. Sure they may have had top sales, perhaps high enough for you to turn the other way, but now they have run out of the majority of buyers in the bay area. Your return customers likely are going to be fewer as a direct result of the poor conduct of this dealership as a whole. It's not just the sales force... it's every level of this dealership.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:49 AM

Car Info: 06 Evolution IX MR Graphite Gray
Originally Posted by Silky
http://www.subaru.com/tools/contactus/index.jsp

Anyone? Should we forward this to subaru so they can have a looksy? And Subaru if you do end of reading through this mess I'll be more than happen to detail every bad incident with you so long as you promise to deal with this dealership.

Dealerships like this one will hurt you in the future. Sure they may have had top sales, perhaps high enough for you to turn the other way, but now they have run out of the majority of buyers in the bay area. Your return customers likely are going to be fewer as a direct result of the poor conduct of this dealership as a whole. It's not just the sales force... it's every level of this dealership.
I believe Ted (GotBoost?) has the contact information for one of the regional SOA reps - the one that was at the ESX day at Steven's Creek at the beginning of August. We would all be better served by submitting this thread to him instead of the general complaint pool that any of the 'feedback' pages forward they info to. As a backup, a submission to the URL above would be a good step to take as well, so there's more than one copy of it floating around SOA.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:46 AM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Guess who was one of the first people fired from Stevens Creek Subaru when I got here. The person with an identity crisis helped sure helped give us a really bad identity. She (although I have heard she has now become a he surgically) should have been the logo for our bad reputation much like Jerry West is the logo for the NBA. For that I am truly sorry. I have no idea how she lasted more than a month.

I appreciate the response, but to me it was a lot more than just the one sales person. I just felt like there was an attempt to get the better of me on every step of the purchase. From the financing guy trying to sneak 11% past me(with a 791 FICO and $10K down), to how the scratch on my brand new car was handled(giving me a loaner that was unsafe and not running well, to leaving overspray everywhere obviously a cheap job), all the way to just the general feel of how I was treated. I've bought many many cars from dealers, and this was the first time ever I felt the way I do. I've even had to deal with a problematic lemon and was overall pleased with how it was treat. Knock on wood, but I'm tickled pink my wagon has been as sound as it is, because the thought of having to deal with your dealership terrifies me.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:49 PM

Car Info: 08 Evo 10 MR
Sorry guys I have been sick for the past 3 or so days and haven't been online, and regretfully won't be online for too much longer today. I have read through almost all of the messages up to this point and will comment on most of them soon, but this message right here believe it or not was my intent to begin with. The whole purpose of this thread was not because I'm a glutton for punishment, but to see what we as a dealership could do to help you. I've talked to Subaru on many occasions about getting together with a group of unhappy customers who were willing to work with us. I figured it was best for me to just take actions into my own hands rather than wait for someone else to initiate contact (which wasn't going to happen). I'm all for this. My plan was to introduce myself in this thread and eventually gather a group of people where we could get together at the dealership and discuss whatevers on your minds. We'll provide the location and food, or if you want to meet on neutral turf I'm all for that as it gives me an opportunity to get out of the dealership.
I think this is a good idea!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:53 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx, new (to me) 2006 exige, low n slow miata
I've been reading this thread with some interest over the past week or so, and some of the horror stories fall right in line with my experiences. My interactions with SCS have been a mixed bag, mostly negative, but I thought I'd share...

Walked into the dealership in 2001 after anxiously awaiting the arrival of the long-sought-after WRX. Middle Eastern guy with a pimp limp (really just a limp) came up to me and we started discussing the car. We actually went on a test drive during which time I fell in love with the car. When we went back to the dealership is when the slime started flowing. Now I'll be the first to admit that I was a noob at buying a car, but I couldn't believe the "deal" he was offering me. I figured out that I would ultimately end up paying about $50k for a $22k car. Needless to say I walked out. I didn't even bother trying to haggle, since the starting point was so goddamn idiotic. Bought my WRX at Diablo Subaru in Walnut Creek a few weeks later.

In the beginning I was getting my services done at SCS due to the close proximity, but that went bye-bye as soon as I compared their prices to Santa Cruz. That said, I had positive experiences with Kevin in the service department, who was always courteous and seemed to go out of his way to help me get warranty stuff done (recalls and tranny issues). Speaking of the tranny work that was done, it was during the time that my car was at SCS for this service that the factory painted WRB sideskirts were stolen...ripped clean off the car while it was on the lot. Security issues aside, Kevin managed to have the skirts replaced, despite the fact that I didn't notice until after I got back to work. I commend him for that because I'm sure his bosses were probably raising the BS flag.

I had one issue with the service department. A few months ago I went in because my driver-side window wasn't rolling down and I wanted it fixed under my warranty. Thought this wouldn't be an issue. As background, last year I had SCS tighten the driver's side door handle because it was separating from the door itself. They are the only ones who have ever worked on that door. Turns out that my non-op window was due to loose connectors, which aren't considered a warranty repair. So I got charged a little over $100 for a mechanic to re-plug in the connectors, which he more than likely wriggled loose himself. Conjecture, I know, but all signs point to it. Anyway, SCS wouldn't budge on that one and I bit the bullet, paid and got the hell out.

Anyway, that's all I can manage. Aside from a few seemingly upstanding people who are few and far between, SCS is bad, bad, bad.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
Unless the car was sold it most likely wasn't detailed. We use the pressure washer on the cars at night time. I do however agree with you that most dealers don't have a proper detail guy. More like car washers than detailers.

that was the same issue I have and no one replied at Stvns dick Subaru, my front bumper got bunrt by the buffer and was promised 200 hun, PAY UP !!!

Old 08-31-2005, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by blkbetty02
Brian, All I can tell you is that Stevens Creek Subaru employees don't listen to a word their customers say. My experience was not nearly as bad as some, but I still have some ill feelings.......
After two long years of searching for my perfect 2.5RS I finally found it, way under blue book value, and like any consumer I asked myself "hey, why so cheap?" So I had the sellers take it at my request to Stevens Creek for a basic inspection, but I also asked the man on the phone to check a few extra things out for me (his name was Marcus, he was a real big ***, he did not listen to a word I said, and ignored me when I asked him "are you sure your gonna get all this?") . Needless to say these extra things were never checked (or even written down by Marcus!) and I had to pay Prestige to check them out. I would love a heart felt apology from Marcus the *** he made me feel like an idiot. And just for time reference Brain, I dealt with them on 8/22/05, that's right last week.
Well first off congratulations on your new purchase. As far as Marcus is concerned I will apologize personally for that and will show this post to him. I'm sure we have your number in the computer, but just in case can you PM me with your contact info so we can make this right. In your PM message please include how much you paid here and how much you paid at Prestige. Once again sorry for your troubles and if there is anything I can do please feel free to call me/PM/ or email me.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by yayitzian
i thought you vouched for all the recent staff Brian?
Yes I do vouch for the current staff. This is not the norm.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:20 PM

Car Info: 05 LegacyGT,06 Black STI Will be home Soon
Originally Posted by gbmotorsports
that was the same issue I have and no one replied at Stvns dick Subaru, my front bumper got bunrt by the buffer and was promised 200 hun, PAY UP !!!

SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yin
youre a tool for even suggesting this. be a man, youre the business owner, accept the incident as being your fault. its not like the buyer walked in off the streets to slam your door. your employee was the cause of this all. why should any situation be that heated? it was because of the poor business practice that caused the customer to leave. where was the customer at fault here? this is what led to the heated situation, which you guys could have easily avoided.
Yin I did and do take full responsibility for what happened that day. I stated as much in my post.
Old 08-31-2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by spelk3
I bought my WRX at Stevens Creek in May 2002. I was pressured into the buying the extended warranty by the finance guy. I canceled the warranty within two days. 3 months later I still had not received the refund so I called and asked why it was taking so long. The girl I talked was quite rude on the phone and told me it would be done that day, several weeks later, still no refund. It took getting the salesman (a nice kid named Al, who quit because of all the hastles people were having) involved before I got the refund.

It should only take a few days for this sort of refund (I had canceled an extended warranty on a Honda and it only took a day for the refund). Since the car was financed the lender got the refund, but I had to pay the interest on the cost of the warranty until the money was refunded.

Very poor customer service!

My family owns two Subaru’s and we have never gone back to Stevens Creek Subaru for anything, parts or service.

It should have only taken a week or so. Sometimes it does take a little longer because the warranty company lags a bit to confirm that no claims have been put in by that specific policy, but it doesn't seem like this was the case in your situation. It looks like finance just flat out dropped the ball. For that we owe you an apology.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by gilmore25
4 pages already.. This dealership needs to give out subaru bucks or something to all the people they have pissed off on this board... Then your coming here and telling us that everything is different now, that the last few months alot of changes have been made.. Well how can that be when I've read a few posts on there that are recent.?
I admit its taken longer to straighten out some of the departments of this store than expected, however I will also say that our service efficiency and quality are light years ahead of where they were. I'm not saying that everything will go 100% right 100% of the time because I know that these guys/gals are human, but our goal still remails 100/100. When we do mess up, if a manager is notified about the problems we fix it A.S.A.P., but if no one notifies us then we will never know that something went wrong. So it is vital that if something goes wrong you call me or the service manager or someone until they fix the problem.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:33 PM

Car Info: 02 rex
im just speechless i dont know what to say but DAM!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stevens Creek Subaru Asks You Bay Area What Went Wrong?