Stevens Creek Subaru Asks You Bay Area What Went Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sugo001
"Stevens Creek Subaru" I was there for 45mins b4 someone help me, they refuse to sell me a wagon, they trying to make me buy a STI which I can't afford. They were not very nice to asian ppl. Happen to me and few of my frds.
I have a feeling this is a fake post. Our sales people run to customers, I am constantly having to yell at them to let the customer get out of his/her car. As far as not being nice to Asians, what makes you say that? Considering we have two Asian salesmen and half of our technicians are Asian.

If you actually had to wait 45 minutes to be approached by someone then I apologize. I would have left too.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by illusion
Ok here it goes, this'll take a sec.

I went into Stevens Creek Subaru just intent on perusing the stock and getting a feel for the WRX. Initial experience wasn't awful, but it wasn't great. The biggest problem was that the sales person had the cajones to make my wife sit in the back seat while he put the seat all the way back, luckily my wife is only 4'10" and while she was cramped it wasn't the end of the world, but I did get an earful later about it. Also this is the first time since I was a kid I was forced to take a test drive with a salesman, I came into the lot in a Mercedes S600, go figure. This sales person was the black guy/girl with the identity crisis(I came in one time gave me a business card with a girls name, later gave me one with a guys name).

A month later I finally decided on a wrx and paid Stevens Creek Subby another visit by myself. The silly black guy/girl seemed to think I was a moron and was trying to pawn off an 04 wagon at $2k over sticker(as the final offer, started out at $5k) when there was a truck of 05s sitting out in the street. I was insulted by the initial offer, excused myself, and left. I went up to Carlsen and had a wonderful greeting then asked about the differences between sedan and wagon(I had already researched, I was just digging into his knowledge). He gave me a brief explanation then went and grabbed two pairs of keys of asked for my license and asked me to please be gentle. No problem. I took a sedan out for about 5 minutes not being terribly brutal, came back jumped in the wagon and took it out for 15 minutes and came back and started haggling. I quickly explained, I'm not into haggling, make me a good offer and we'll have no problems. He starts in "well, we have 05's coming in very shortly so I'll cut you a killer deal on an 04 if you'd like since there are only some minor cosmetic changes. We have an incentive from Subaru right now, so this is what I can do for you" ok...get this.....The very first offer was $1k under invoice. I shook his hand and explained that I had to talk it over with the wife, but I'd give him a call first thing in the morning. No pressure, real nice, handed me his card and said he'd anticipate my call.

I went home, told the wife the deal, she said go for it. One of my friends wanted to tag along with me so we jumped in his car and headed out. Along the way I explained to him what went on at Stevens Creek and he got a glimmer in his eye. He said "If I can get you the same deal or better and Stevens Creek will you buy from there." I said "sure", So away we went. This time we were met by a very nice Polish salesman. Very polite, but lacked self assurance and was pretty much jello. Every question my friend or I asked, the salesman got up and asked someone else to answer. About half way through the negotiation the previously mentioned black guy/girl with the identity crisis barged in and started whining that I was his customer, but I quickly made it clear I wasn't interested in dealing with him/her. My friend was starting to get impatient. He said, "look this is the offer he was given, either you better it or we leave" and a few other kind words with his excellent Israeli haggling skill coming out(not to mention he was sweet talking the salesman in Polish too lol) Well the manager finally came out and my friend said "Ok enough of this. This is the offer on the table, you either match the price except put my friend in an 05 or we walk" the manager stuck his hand out and said deal.

Whew trouble over....but wait...there's still the financing dept. He quickly filled out the papers puts it in front of me and says "ok buddy sign here" without even attempting to tell me to read it. Well I did read it and he had me down for 11% interest. What in the holy hell? I have pristine credit with a Fica high enough to have every credit company in the world begging for my business. Oh HELLLL no. My friend just about popped. He asked for the card from Carlsen real quick and talked to the saleman up there. He asked "Ok if my friend has perfect credit, what is the optimum interest rate he could get on a either 4 or 5 year term" Carlsen Salesman puts his cards on the table again and says "right now there's a special incentive for 1.9%" Again my friend demands the matching and after him getting pretty bent(an act actually) the financing guy pretended he was doing me a HUGE favor and did it.

Ok finally done.... but wait.. My car was prepped and out front. I get the introduction and notice a big scratch on the nose of the car. Oh great, here we go. The manager tap dances and tells me to have it fixed and he'll reimburse me. I just about reached over the counter and strangled him. "I haven't even started the car nor moved it a single inch and there's a scratch, YOU WILL FIX IT" he played the same game as the financing guy and pretended he was doing me a big favor. He gave me a loaner car until it could be fixed that ran like utter crap, it stalled twice on me. I brought it back and drove my other car the two days they took to fix a scratch on plastic.

Two days later I finally come to pick up my car I purchased two days before. It now had 150 miles on it(of course they are too big of morons to flatbed a brand new car to have it fixed). There was overspray EVERYWHERE on the car. Hood, roof, mirrors, engine, windows, they had obviously done zero masking, although the scratch was fixed well. I was about a half of a step away from absolutely losing it. I was so frustrated I was ready to tell them to stick the car up their *** and refuse receipt of it(thankfully I still hadn't signed that paper and they knew it).

A day later I finally pick up my car, I was so war torn I was just happy to be done with it. Since then I refuse to go there even to have service done, although I have picked up a few parts from the parts dept, kind of hard to screw that up. I've went as far as Carlsen(I live by San Jose state) and even ventured over the hill to Santa Cruz to have service done, now I jsut take it to Gruppe-S. Since the day I got my car, I have made it an absolute point whenever my car is brought up in a conversation to point out how absolutely horrible Stevens Creek is and make it a quest to make sure they get absolutely NO business from anyone I know. I personally know of 6 people that I have swayed from buying their Subbys at Stevens creek, 5 bought from Carlsen, 1 from Santa Cruz. Hope it was worth it to you guys.

Cliff notes:
Rude
Slimey
Sleazy
did I mention slimey?

ok end rant.

(*** edited due to typos, I think I got most of em )
Guess who was one of the first people fired from Stevens Creek Subaru when I got here. The person with an identity crisis helped sure helped give us a really bad identity. She (although I have heard she has now become a he surgically) should have been the logo for our bad reputation much like Jerry West is the logo for the NBA. For that I am truly sorry. I have no idea how she lasted more than a month.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by gbmotorsports
stevenscreek Subaru crew

You detail dept. burned my front bumper upon delivery and I got scheduled 2 days later and left the car for 3 days and nothing was done.

Four years later and 42 calls unreturned, you guys still owe me $200 that was due back to me by the sales manager (european guy) this became about after a$$wipe general manager shut the bumper skin swap down (he called and authorized it) and I never got the money back that was agreed upon.

Parts dept. needs help as well. Thats another thread.

I never went back since

my 2 cents.
Give me a call or PM me. I'll take care of that.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by yayitzian
You seem like a decent guy on the forums, TheFreak. Hopefully you are truly just trying to find out what the community as a whole thinks of your operation, and you are taking it to heart and trying to correct it.

I know people like me, and even people who don't even own Subarus, are extremely wary to even step foot on Stevens Creek just because of the bad rep you guys have acquired over the past few years.

I've read all those posts about the finance dept, but i'm glad my car was paid for in cash.

I really hope this isn't just another facade of "oh we're improving...really!" and changes for the positive actually come up. But I'll let other people be the guinea pigs and I'll be reading the posts on what they have to say.
Well I like to think that I'm a nice guy. I've only had three customers in my life that at the end of the day I still couldn't convince that I truly was a good guy. This is going back to 1996. I really want to let people know that Stevens Creek Subaru is not the automotive equivalent of Chernobyl and you won't grow an evil head out of your belly button here. Also if I'm not too busy I would be more than happy to help you out myself, at the very least I could get you someone who actually knows his/her stuff.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by yapster
i've been reading this thread and hesitating to post my experience. but here goes.

This happend almost 2 months ago

My gf and I went there to check on the new Tribeca just to see it and hopefully to purchase one (for my brother, who went to get their tribeca 3 weeks ago at oakland). she just got a new mitsubishi for like 3 months ago, and this sales person just keep on insisting to trade her car in.. i mean seriously annoying. i told this guy that it was for me and not her, so try to take it easy on her. and yet, kept insisting that she shud trade it in to get the tribeca.

we just ignore this salesperson and while my gf is luking at the tribeca, i tried talking to a different salesperson about the '06 Sti model (considering to trade my car in). I asked some general question. and he can't even stand up to speak to me professionally.
he was just literally sitting his a$$ of on his chair, like he's enjoying his favorite show. TAKE NOTE: this is a different salesperson. I was hoping to get better service because it was a slow day. I was the only person on that dealership that day.

it just annoyed the hell out of us and just looked at the tribeca as quick as we can and leave the dealership. i didn't want to waste my gas just to be blown away by this annoying salesperson.
Do you remember who your salesperson was? Do you remember what the other guy/girl looked like? I want to show all of my sales force this message. Thank you for taking the time out to post this.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by BlingBlingBlue
I didn't read any of this thread, but will provide you with a couple anecdotes.

- The one and only time I had Stevens Creek do warranty work, it was to repair a broken power window. The clips which hold the inner door panel on were broken, and the panel has rattled ever since then, your service department denied it, rudely I might add.
- I bumped into a guy I work with in the parking lot and he saw that I had a Subaru. He and his SO just moved from the east coast and he asked me where I got my car serviced. He then mentioned that they had brought their Outback to Stevens Creek and were treated rudely, and he got the impression that they he was being ripped off. I told him that Santa Cruz is far superior and he thanked me.
How long ago was this?
Old 08-29-2005, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ipozestu
Once again it seems to be an attempt to weasle. The marks on that car could have only been cause by a buffer in the hands of someone who is inexperienced with the tool. In no way would a pressure washer have done that sort of damage. There is no way the paint would have looked the way it did by removing the factory paint protection film. I say again. The vehicle was burned beyond repair, and swirled to an unacceptable condition for a new vehicle.
In no way was/is this "an attempt to weasle". I don't know of any dealers that can wash their new cars presale unless they have an automated car wash. We don't buff any cars unless they are sold. Now I'm not saying that you are wrong because I don't know which car it was and I didn't see the car in question. I'm just explaining our policy. Unless it was a used car it wasn't detailed by us, unless it was sold. It could have been a "dealertrade" which is a vehicle that we aquire from another dealership, but honestly I don't know.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by dsilver668
Oh this is good... ha so much love for these guys!!
Stevens creek got my business since I was local, but after the sale I am never going back. My service is done in RWC or SC now.

Lets just say when the sales manager personally insults me, I do not forgive this ever!! He is lucky I am a law abiding citizen.

I understand how the car market works. I understand all the tricks, and markups and playing with pricing and percentage rates.

I don't expect any other dealer not to do the same, but....
When the sales manager verbaly assaults me then you will never get my business again. It is uncalled for...

Believe me I think Brucelee hit the naiil on the head. Your organization needs a major overhaul. Anyone who has done there home work will never pay over invoice for a car. I only paid more than that out the dorr because I got a 6 year warentee, which the finance guy also tried to cahange the terms on the contract.

Nuf said...
When was this? Who was the sales manager?

I don't agree with you as far as paying invoice is concerned. There is no profit in a dealers invoice. We have holdback and flooring assistance which essentially do the same thing they both just cover our costs. If we only cover our costs whats the use of staying in business. A business is established to profit. Now keep in mind buying a Subaru at invoice is a steal where as buying a domestic at invoice is like paying MSRP.

I really would like to know when this happened though. Business should never get personal. If an offe doesn't make sense then we politely decline his/her offer. I've told my guys that we are in the people business not the automotive business. If they aren't good with people then they need to avoid retail/service oriented professions.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by KGB4187
I love how he picks and chooses which posts to respond to. Ignoring all posts about near violence and yelling and focusing on paperwork related ones.

Perhaps we could have one or two i-club members outside the dealership during normal opperating hours showing them printed out stories of what happened to them at Stvens Creek and a paper with maps/directions to other dealerships.

I'd be willing to be a secret shopper to go in and look at some cars to see how the service and all is...
If you are truly interested then PM me. I'm all for it. Thats the only way I will ever know if the guys I have right now are treating customers nicely or not.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by AntiochCali
I don't recall the details, but, Stevens Creek Subaru is one of the leaders in sales for Subarus in SOA.

I was told by someone that formally worked there that they were mostly Internet and Fleet sales and not made by walk-ins.

I honestly think that a big part of the problem is, as I posted before, I don't think family members should be allowed on the lot, even if they are working.

The relatives of the owner, of which I am certain Brain is, should not be working there. Due to time and circumstances, they have learned not to behave well. They have no fear of being disciplined for their behavior. They should not be interacting with customers. They should not be in a position of authority over the employees.

Their disdane for either the customers and/or the owner transferes out to the employees. This is a big part of the Stevens Creek Subaru "magic", poor customer interactions, due to poor managment. "Do as I say, not as I do" - doesn't work on kids, dogs or employees.

Brian seems sincere, but he has pasted himself into a situation where, since he is the owners son he can do no wrong, he is overbearing and expects everyone to behave as he says - but he isn't addressing his own short commings.

This thread has gotten a heck of a lot of attention here, and I have multiple replies because the more good places and people in the suby community, the better the community becomes.

Steven's Creek Subaru, still isn't a good place, and I see no evidence that it will become one any time soon.
I'm just curious have you ever met me? Have you ever interacted with me? If so when and where? You must work for another Subaru dealership, but if not I'm curious why you would say something like that? If you don't want to reveal yourself here just PM me.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Evolution VIII
I am pretty sure most of (potential) subaru customers somewhat did their homework before entering the showroom at any dealerships. So if they are lied to, treated w/ disrespect, getting pushed around or denied services, then the dealership is in trouble. I am not here to tell you how to run your business, However, my advise to you as a company like stevens creek, you guys must make sure all sales/service dept people to tell the truth, and be honest about everything, also be polite, humble and sincere to all customers, then you will see the business turn around.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silky
Steven's Creek I hate your dealership. I hate your attitude and lack of professionalism and courtesy that pervades even the half decent people who work there.

For the last 5 years I've avoided your dealership for purchases of my vehicles and maintenance simply because I can't stand your methods and know that you will infuriate me at one end or another. There's nothing you could do to repair this.

I travel an extra 40 miles just to have simple service done at Subaru of Santa Cruz because they are friendly, fair and honest. You suck.

What would make SC subaru a hit would be entirely new management and staff. All of them. Everyone who in the last 10 years has ever had any dealing or position/influence with that dealership would have to be terminated. And new staff consisting of professionals/enthusiasts would have to run it.

Then I would go there to buy and oil filter. As it stands I hate having to even think about your dealership. Oh and fire monkey boy who drives the corvette.
Robert is the corvette driver. What problem did you have with him? 99% of the people have been changed since I got here. That includes sales/service/parts/management. Hell even the front office has been changed. As far as the sales personel only Robert, Mike, and Masood were here prior to my arrival. I know I'm not going to make everyone here happy and I respect that. I understand if some of you don't want to give us a second/third/fourth.... chance because the wound is too deep for some of you (I hate cliches but I couldn't think of a better way of putting it), but I am here to at least help those that I can. If the U.S. never engaged into talks with Japan after WWII we would never be where we are as a country today. Even though the hate for the U.S. was high they still tried to repair the relationship between the two countries. I'm not saying this is to that degree of importance but I'm here to make amends to as many customers that I can.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:41 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Still waiting for a response to my comment...
Old 08-29-2005, 08:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
I say someone takes him up on his "secret shopper" offer. I live too far away, otherwise I'd offer to do it. If we can get a few secret shoppers in there we can see if this gentleman's money is where is mouth is. It may just be one or two remaining bad staff that make it seem as though things have not changed. If we can weed those people out, we may actually be able to get somewhere. If a few/several of us go in there, with an unbiased perspective, and find that nothing has changed, then we all know this is just more hot air. However, how we will never find out if they have/have not changed if we don't send some people in there to find out. Things can change. Sometimes several 'chances' are required before a company actually gets it right. I'm all for giving them at least one more chance. So, is anyone seriously willing to go 'secret shop' with an open mind? I would reccomend that those that chose to go are not those who have already had awful experiences as they are going to be biased, and rightfully so. Just go in there as though you have never hear of the place, good or bad, and see how things go. I'm sure a lot of people would like the save the driving time from heading out to RWC or Santa Cruze, so let's see if these folks can put their money where their mouth is and give us another valid option for sales and service in the south bay.

-Chris
Old 08-29-2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by yungjin
Good luck SCS, and like people have said, you can't change your image overnight by trying to be buddy buddy with i-club members. It'll take a great deal of time by you guys showing it through your actions... if you do this right then eventually word of mouth will spread and that is the only real way that you can reverse your negative reputation. There's no short cuts.
Yes I said a dealership needs to profit and it does, however you are absolutely correct in your statement in hidden fees and charges. The only unknown fee that gets charged to customers is a documentation charge of $45 which is our fee for doing your DMV paperwork and a $8.75 California Tire fee which goes to the govenator for new tire purchases. On Pre-Owned vehicles you will be charged the aforementioned Documentation fee plus a $50 Smog Fee and a $8.25 smog certificate fee. Besides that their are no other fees which you will be charged. Yes they will offer you additional stuff in finance but those are all optional.

I know there is no short-cuts and thats why I'm here.

Well I'm done for tonight, hopefully I have some time to log on tommarow and answer some more of your posts. If not I'll definately be back on sometime later this week. Thanks for the time.

Quick Reply: Stevens Creek Subaru Asks You Bay Area What Went Wrong?