Stevens Creek Subaru Asks You Bay Area What Went Wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 10:15 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by thefreak
but if no one notifies us then we will never know that something went wrong. So it is vital that if something goes wrong you call me or the service manager or someone until they fix the problem.
i believe the overall image of the SCS is that even if the problem is reported, the person DOESNT believe ANYTHING will be done.

it's not like you guys have a COMPLAINTS board on your sales floor.

what kind of CONFIDENCE or ASSURANCE do you bring or OFFER to the bay area subaru community?

i myself, am glad you havent disappeared after the first 2 or 3 pages on this thread... lol... like the previous representative from a thread similar to this, about 2-3 years ago.

i am currently shopping for an 06 STi and if this is not all BS, maybe i wll give SCS second chance... albeit, with better and more paranoid knowledge than i did when i went to your place in 2001...
Old 09-01-2005, 12:50 AM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza WRX Sedan Midnight Black Pearl
My experiences at Stevens Creek Subaru have all been negative too.
I've been smart enough to not buy from you, and would never take my car in for service after witnessing the insanity in your parts/service area.
After reading all the horror stories, I can't help but wonder how you all are still in business.
There are many more posts than have been re-listed in this thread if you search here or in Bay Area on Nasioc.

Here is my favorite
Car stolen off SCS lot while being serviced

It seems the method of sales SCS has used is to screw the first time/uneducated buyer over as often as possible, and if they couldn't on the day of the sale to try to afterwards. Normal business there appears to include adding hidden costs, and well as assorted financing crap.
And if you didn't get someone on purchase, the service dept will take you for all you got.

So now after years, you are no longer number one in the area, sales are down, you pretend to wonder why, and so you come around the serious Subaru crowd to try and make things better, after all, it is your income that is at stake. Pretty sad.

The only valid recommendation to fix things is to sell the business to someone that actually cares about the customer and has some integrity, which clearly isn't one of the standards in your family.

Other than that, it would take years of work to make any significant change.

Many in the Subaru crowd are repeat buyers and they have learned not to go back to SCS if they ever purchased there.
Those that haven't bought yet ask around and find out the truth beforehand and avoid your dealership.
I-club, Nasioc, wrxfanatics, rs25, other forums, and all the thousands of members, help potential owners make their buying choices, and you can see how they resound with negative experiences regarding SCS.

How do you expect to earn back the trust of all those people and fight the rumors?
A few successfully pleasant (normal really) sales and services won't do that.
You need years of doing the right thing to make things better, and even then most of us will be wary of even going near the place.

Since your sales are down, you aren't likely to buy back the trust by offering cars at dealer cost(not invoice, cost), and give back commissions, which would certainly make some folks take the risk of buying from you.

It is pretty hard to educate all your sales staff and service folks to the level of the hard core Subaru fanatics around here, but you could at least make the mechanics use the freaking factory manuals when they don't know how to fix something, and not stack the hours of similar area repairs being performed at the same time.

A service/parts discount isn't likely, as that would cut into your bottom line.
You should know what you are competing with though, 20-25% off retail of any Subaru part is easily achieved by purchasing from someplace else.

The sales staff needs to learn what they are selling and not lie about the cars.
The WRX and STi are not rally cars. Pro rally cars cost $200K - $1.5M.
Rally inspired or look would be a better term.
Learning the actual differences between models and model years would at least prevent the sales staff from coming off like idiots and mis-stating which accessories are available with a specific model.
For starters, if it is in the brochures you provide, all the staff should know it.
Get rid of all hard sell tactics.
Which is gonna bring people and their friends back "I can't believe I got out of there without buying a car, they hounded me every second I was there" or "They were pleasant and attentive and answered all my questions but didn't try and make me buy something, and I didn't hear one car-salesman cliche"?

Eh, much easier to just send everyone to Carlsen or Santa Cruz.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
Originally Posted by mikkyo
The sales staff needs to learn what they are selling and not lie about the cars.
The WRX and STi are not rally cars. Pro rally cars cost $200K - $1.5M.
Rally inspired or look would be a better term.
Learning the actual differences between models and model years would at least prevent the sales staff from coming off like idiots and mis-stating which accessories are available with a specific model.
For starters, if it is in the brochures you provide, all the staff should know it.
Get rid of all hard sell tactics.
so true!!! im telling you, the days of the pushy car salesmen are OVER. nowadays, to be a good salesman, you have to be genuine, down to earth, knowledgable, and honest.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:02 AM

Car Info: '09 accord, '14 2 seater chevy
Originally Posted by mikkyo

Eh, much easier to just send everyone to Carlsen or Santa Cruz.

+1. I think we should take turns parking in front of Steven's Creek with a sign on te side of the car saying "you don't want hassle? You want a good deal? See Carlsen Subaru."
Old 09-01-2005, 05:28 PM

Car Info: 03 bucket stage 11/32
Wow! once I saw this thread I just had to post a reply on this topic. **** I don't even own a suby, thanks in part to the aholes at stevens creek. Anyway here is my story.

July 2005,

Have aquired a new job that paid much much more money than I had been previously making and having recently been married there was more money for me to buy a new car which was nice because my eclipse was starting to wear on me. I was trying to decide between buying an STI or an EVO, being that I lived not 5 minutes from the so called "strip" of auto dealers I decided to visit both SC mitsu(which by the way was very very helpful easily the best mitsu dealership around) and SC suby. Not an hour earlier I had test driven an evo at the mitsu dealership and then headed to SC suby with the intent of buying one of the cars that day, hell I had a check for 6k sitting in my pocket for a down payment. My experience at mitsu was great and I was expecting the same from suby(which would have made me buy the sti by the way because at the time I liked them better).

Upon entering the lot to the dealership I was starred down by some "thug" of a salesman standing outside. I figured what the hell maybe he just has been having a bad day. Regardless, I went to start looking at the wrxs and stis that were sitting on the lot. -now my wife is a saleperson for volkswagon and anytime I have visited the dealership the salespeople have either initiated a conversation or aknowledged the customer to let them know when they need help within the minute of arrival- I sat looking at different cars for at least 5 minutes before I said **** it and went inside to see if someone besides the ***** standing outside would help me. Meanwhile as I am waiting the ***** standing outside sees someone in a vette roll up and imediatly takes him on a test drive in a used 04 white sti they had at the entrance to the parking lot. I see this and figure cool I will be able to test drive one as well and see which car I like better. After about 5 minutes of sitting inside looking at the different color combos of stis they had two salespeople who had been talking amungst themselves finally aknowledge my existance and ask to help me.

I tell them my situation and immediatly they try and tell me to look at a 2.5rs or a regular wrx. WEll I didn't want a wrx or I would have asked to drive one instead of looking at the different stis they had there for the last 10minutes. After telling them a couple of times that I wanted an sti not a wrx one of the sales guys told me well the sti isn't back from the testdrive why don't we drive the black wrx out there first. At this point I am getting ****ing pissed because your idiot sales people have not heard a single word I have said. My wife knowing that I go from calm to irate before you can blink, tells me jus to go on the testdrive to get a feel for the quality etc....

AT this point I could hardly care so I went on it anyway, BUT the sales guy has to give me the sales pitch bs which I don't want to hear. I go on a test drive which consited mostly of traffic and arrive back just as the sti is showing up. Immediatly the guy driving the sti bounces with his gf and the ******* who ignored me in the beggining is standing there looking like a tool that he is. The sales guy who was helping me went inside after him to get the key to take me on my test drive. He comes out and tells me my manager won't let me take you on a test drive because you are not serious. WTF, they knew I had a Cashier check for 6k and still they own't let me drive it. So I talk to the manager about why I can't drive it and he says you would have to put a downpayment on one to drive it. Well how the **** am I suposed to know if I want it if I can't drive it? The manager then for more or less tells me to **** myself and says he doesn't want me on the lot anymore. Gladly I walk out and have never returned, unfortunately for the other suby dealerships in the area who are hardworking and nice people I refuse to buy one because of this experience.

After seeing the attitude of everyone at this dealership the only way I can see it getting better is if all the employees and their famailies are tortured to death the dealership is burned to the ground and a new one is errected in a different place on stevens creek. Then and only then would I even consider buying a car from you guys. So I happily sit here today with 6k in my bank account waiting to find a deal on a used evo to buy.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by 98eclipseRS
He comes out and tells me my manager won't let me take you on a test drive because you are not serious. WTF, they knew I had a Cashier check for 6k and still they own't let me drive it.

AHHAHAHAHHA! Same thing happened to me when my mom wanted to buy a car... The ***** wouldn't let he test drive the legacy because he said I wasn't serious and that I wanted to just "joy ride" it. I almost put my fist through the guys face...

And whats the deal with that ***got that takes steroids and is a total ***** to everyone? I swear to god, I want to go down there just so he is a ***** to me, so I have an excuse to break a bat over his big head and say "How'd you like that, *****!?". Oh, and I'm bigger than him...
Old 09-01-2005, 05:38 PM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Originally Posted by 98eclipseRS
He comes out and tells me my manager won't let me take you on a test drive because you are not serious....... The manager then for more or less tells me to **** myself and says he doesn't want me on the lot anymore.

So I happily sit here today with 6k in my bank account waiting to find a deal on a used evo to buy.
Hmmmmmmm... turns out you weren't serious.
Old 09-01-2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
i believe the overall image of the SCS is that even if the problem is reported, the person DOESNT believe ANYTHING will be done.

it's not like you guys have a COMPLAINTS board on your sales floor.

what kind of CONFIDENCE or ASSURANCE do you bring or OFFER to the bay area subaru community?

You're 100% correct. Fine, lets say we put trust in you, and you plan on doing something about the problem, I know for a damn FACT that your bastard *** sales people wont do a god damn thing about any of it. You have no idea how much hatred I have for your crew. GRRRRR.

Also, this isnt a real big deal, but I was in need of an oil filter, and your dealership being so close by, I figured how bad can the parts counter be?

I ask for an oil filter, just an oil filter... $16. I was like

Well, I pay for it... look at my reciept, and guess what? They charged me $2 for a crush washer that I didnt even f'ing want! I was already on the road, and I didnt want to go back and deal with your crappy *** dealership again, so I just sucked it up.

Okay, what part of "oil filter only" dont you f'ing understand? Was it the part where I said "Only an oil filter", or was it the part where I said "No, only an oil filter"? GRRRR. I guess it was my fault for being in a hurry and not looking at my reciept.

God damn you!
Old 09-01-2005, 06:06 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
Originally Posted by brucelee
You're 100% correct. Fine, lets say we put trust in you, and you plan on doing something about the problem, I know for a damn FACT that your bastard *** sales people wont do a god damn thing about any of it. You have no idea how much hatred I have for your crew. GRRRRR.

Also, this isnt a real big deal, but I was in need of an oil filter, and your dealership being so close by, I figured how bad can the parts counter be?

I ask for an oil filter, just an oil filter... $16. I was like

Well, I pay for it... look at my reciept, and guess what? They charged me $2 for a crush washer that I didnt even f'ing want! I was already on the road, and I didnt want to go back and deal with your crappy *** dealership again, so I just sucked it up.

Okay, what part of "oil filter only" dont you f'ing understand? Was it the part where I said "Only an oil filter", or was it the part where I said "No, only an oil filter"? GRRRR. I guess it was my fault for being in a hurry and not looking at my reciept.

God damn you!
Livermore Scubruzu gave me a crush washer and filter for $10...
And Santa Cruz Subaru's service department owns.

Why go to SC... it's a black hole of time/energy/effort/money... they haven't made changes cause the same azzholic people are working there...
Old 09-01-2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by resident smurf
Livermore Scubruzu gave me a crush washer and filter for $10...
And Santa Cruz Subaru's service department owns.

Why go to SC... it's a black hole of time/energy/effort/money... they haven't made changes cause the same azzholic people are working there...

w3rd. I just buy my oil filters online at subaruparts.com... If I need to go to a dealership, I just go over the bridge and go to Carlsen (only cuz Subaru Santa Cruz is so damn far!).
Old 09-01-2005, 10:54 PM

Car Info: 03 bucket stage 11/32
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Hmmmmmmm... turns out you weren't serious.

I WAS serious, honest to god serious but after this experience I had enough dealings with dealerships to last me the rest of my life. So I decided to wait for a black 05 evo, wingless without the sunroof/leather package to come around for a cheap price.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:40 AM

Car Info: 06 Evo MR
Ok we've complained quite a bit. Post reasonable fixes and let's see how they do.

Fix the following

Your prices (too high)
-You will never gouge again. You will offer only MSRP; NEVER to exceed, and you will be like every other dealer in the bay area open to the reasonable offer of $500 over invoice that we are accustomed to and WILL get (if not from you then from another dealer) This deal is not to be haggled about for 1-2 hours, if they are knowledgeable to know the cost and the numbers then give them the deal, save them and yourself the headache (This is how Santa Cruz Subaru operates BTW so don’t think it ludicrous)

-This also applies to parts
-This also applies to labor

Sales tactics
-Get rid of your current staff and hire professionals (not professional slime bags)
-The salesmen are to approach a customer in a respectful manner to see if they can offer assistance. If assistance declined they back off until approached again. If assistance is accepted have your staff knowledgeable about the product. Just saying that it's fast or that it has awd is not enough and that's been about the extent of your sales staff's knowledge.

-Do not have the 3 levels of terror
1. Salesmen – Immediately trying to get a down payment or sign something
2.Sales manager – Trying to grille you
3. Finance **** – Trying to add another 10k of unnecessary crap to your loan

And by trying I mean putting you in the hot seat and making you feel uncomfortable in any way. I know business is business and you can ask but if declined back off.

If a person wants a deal and is ready to sign get them out of there in 1 hour tops and bring them a soda or coffee to make their wait comfortable. Also make sure the car is completely detailed and gas is filled up during this time. Not afterward.

Anyone else?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by Silky
Ok we've complained quite a bit. Post reasonable fixes and let's see how they do.

Fix the following

Your prices (too high)
-You will never gouge again. You will offer only MSRP; NEVER to exceed, and you will be like every other dealer in the bay area open to the reasonable offer of $500 over invoice that we are accustomed to and WILL get (if not from you then from another dealer) This deal is not to be haggled about for 1-2 hours, if they are knowledgeable to know the cost and the numbers then give them the deal, save them and yourself the headache (This is how Santa Cruz Subaru operates BTW so don’t think it ludicrous)

-This also applies to parts
-This also applies to labor

Sales tactics
-Get rid of your current staff and hire professionals (not professional slime bags)
-The salesmen are to approach a customer in a respectful manner to see if they can offer assistance. If assistance declined they back off until approached again. If assistance is accepted have your staff knowledgeable about the product. Just saying that it's fast or that it has awd is not enough and that's been about the extent of your sales staff's knowledge.

-Do not have the 3 levels of terror
1. Salesmen – Immediately trying to get a down payment or sign something
2.Sales manager – Trying to grille you
3. Finance **** – Trying to add another 10k of unnecessary crap to your loan

And by trying I mean putting you in the hot seat and making you feel uncomfortable in any way. I know business is business and you can ask but if declined back off.

If a person wants a deal and is ready to sign get them out of there in 1 hour tops and bring them a soda or coffee to make their wait comfortable. Also make sure the car is completely detailed and gas is filled up during this time. Not afterward.

Anyone else?
good post. these requests aren't too hard to comply with if a dealership wants to keep its business.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:14 AM

Car Info: 72 Vespa with curb feelers
Well, the informed have most likely stopped going to this dealership, but the informed were never the target audience. They still profit from all the 18 year old kids they can manipulate and steal from.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:24 AM
Hurray, it's Ian!!

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by HellaDumb
Well, the informed have most likely stopped going to this dealership, but the informed were never the target audience. They still profit from all the 18 year old kids they can manipulate and steal from.
so i guess one of us should go around to high schools and hold seminars where we explain where to not buy cars.

1,2,3 not it!

Quick Reply: Stevens Creek Subaru Asks You Bay Area What Went Wrong?