rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 09:07 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy

I wish I wouldn't freeze to death sleeping in the truck. I'd just do that. LOL!

I could probably cuddle up under about 20 blankets and be alright. LOL! Gonna be like 16 freakin degrees.
I had the same idea. Thinking I should invest in one of those crazy sleeping bags that allow you to sleep in freezing weather.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
I had the same idea. Thinking I should invest in one of those crazy sleeping bags that allow you to sleep in freezing weather.
I have a hook up with big agnes.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
How was the "spring riding" this wknd?

I didn't end up riding anywhere this wknd. Sierra was a No-Go since 50 is still closed except for residents. I'm hoping it'll be open by Wed a.m. as I'd rather not have to do the extra 40 min each way by taking 88-89-50.

But I did enjoy some snow yesterday by joining my sibs & their kiddies along with our folks & a few other relatives for a bit of sledding up at Cisco Grove. On the drive up, it was crazy to see the 30+ yard wide bare swath of what remains of that slide near Baxter.

One other good thing outta the trip is that I may have found a boot or two that'll work for my stubby, wide feet. After a few hours of sledding, my car did a quick sightseeing tour so that my cousin visiting from "da islands, mon" (I keed... I keed. Of course, he's from The Philippine Islands.) could take some pix & whatnot.

Anyway, on our stop in Tahoe City, I went to Tahoe Dave's to see what they still had that fits what I'm looking for in lacing system, stiffness/response, etc. I dug the fit of a few different brands & models, but the DC Mutiny felt awesome out of the box. Since they'll pack out, I'll need a pair that's a half to whole size smaller than the ones I had on yesterday. Near perfect fit with ZERO pressure points, great heel hold. But they were a touch roomy... just barely. So close yet so far. But I'm nearly there. 'Twas nice to try on several pairs to know which brands & models have the last which accommodate my caveman feet.

Although the 2 guys helping me out weren't pressuring or pushing me towards buying, I felt bad that they didn't earn a sale from me. I was kinda rushed at the end since my relatives were waiting for me after their quick photo sesh. If I had more time, I woulda taken the time to see what bindings I could score since I'm also in need of those as well. The next time I'm in north Tahoe, I'll be making a stop to purchase there. I've always had great customer service from the awesome peeps at Dave's!
Old 02-15-2017, 08:31 PM

Car Info: STI Hatch - 2012
Do you have wide feet? I'm Mondo 280 and have EE feet (and Flat Feet at that too).

Basically had two options for boots, Burton Ruler WIDE's (made for EEE), or the Adidas SuperStars (EE) - the later is quite comfy out of the box and Adidas has them on sale (the toebox is yuuuuugeee - got it heat molded yesterday at Any Mountain - which they do for free even if you don't buy boots there). The Tactical's have a pretty good sized Toe Box also - the quality per the reviews have gone way up in 2017 (for Adidas).

http://www.adidas.com/us/superstar-s...ts/B27535.html

http://www.adidas.com/us/tactical-ad...ts/B27530.html

Normal snowboard boots are made for D width, so if you have wide feet - it sucks, then you size up then get heel lift. Everyone kept telling me ThirtyTwo boots were wider than normal, definitely ain't wide enough if you have EE+

Anybody know if the US-50 will be fully cleaned up tomorrow? Want to take my Niece and Nephew to Sierra this friday (need the long practice greenies - Sugar N Spice) - looks like it'll be snowing in the Tahoe area for 12+ days straight.

Last edited by Funks; 02-15-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 AM
VIP Member

My dogs aren't insane wide, but they are wide for my 7.5-8.0 length foot. I don't recall if I'm EE or what have you, though I just took a quick measurement with a ruler and a few charts I've come across online say that's the normal width for an 11.5!!! And I don't think I have flat feet; my arches are relatively normal. But another quirky thing about my feet are that they're kinda meaty btwn the arch and the heel. Glad to hear you were able to find a pair that worked for your particularities.

Since I mostly freeride and like boots on the stiffer side, Burton Rulers Wides are out since they are too flexy for my liking.

I want to also try out the fit of Adidas boots. The Tactical might work. It'd be nice if their product description & specs also gave a flex rating as I can't seem to find info on that aspect.

Funny that you mentioned ThirtyTwo since I also heard/knew that they're a bit wider than normal. I found them (Team Two's... I think) roomy enough although they were a half-to-whole size too big.

Finally, I'm hoping to do a day to Sierra tmrw myself. Been keeping my fingers crossed along with urrybody else that the soils hold up to this round of precip. Other than CalTrans standard online info... QuickMap -and- Division of Traffic Operations - Road Information - California Highway Information, District 3's twitter is a great source too... https://twitter.com/CaltransDist3
Old 02-16-2017, 09:17 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
I went to sugar bowl on Saturday, it was great. No crowds (mudslide on 80 deterred lots of folks) and lots of snow.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:19 AM
General Pimpin'

I need to heat mold my boots before it's too late. They're not sitting right with my feet. And they're so damned stiff I really have to get my foot set back. Not comfortable in the slightest. And I'm not super stoked on the dual zone lacing. I've had 2 pairs now and I'm not really happy. Last pair exploded and this pair tends to slack out... come loose on my front foot which makes edge control an issue. I have to redo them 2-3 times a day. Rather just have traditional laces.

Wish I could come up this weekend. It's gonna be epic. But I have family in town. I may try and sneak away for an up and back mid week though.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:47 AM

Car Info: 2016 CWP WRX
Hiya,

fwiw, its raining up here right now (Squaw). Snow level just went up to about 7.5k. It may get colder late tonight, but beware. It is super heavy and full of moisture. I'd say maybe 3" @ 6.5k and a tid more up high. 10 ft of wind isnt helping...

josh
Old 02-16-2017, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by boardoholic
My dogs aren't insane wide, but they are wide for my 7.5-8.0 length foot. I don't recall if I'm EE or what have you, though I just took a quick measurement with a ruler and a few charts I've come across online say that's the normal width for an 11.5!!! And I don't think I have flat feet; my arches are relatively normal. But another quirky thing about my feet are that they're kinda meaty btwn the arch and the heel. Glad to hear you were able to find a pair that worked for your particularities.
I ain't advanced like you guys, I just cruise the groomers with the family, and friends. Quite a bit older than most of you (42), don't want to take any more risks than normal - lol.

I found this thread quite helpful at snowboarding forum, but looks like you got great boots that fit you.

Petition for more WIDE snowboard boot options - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

I wear 12's on the street and started with boots that size a couple of years ago, felt fine as I was compensating for my wide feet. Killed my big toe nails - lol, foot was sliding around. Measured my feet last season (11 inches from heel, to the top of the longest middle toe which puts me right about 11 inches * 2.54 * 10 which is 279.4 mondo, but EE wide at 4.25+ inches). Putting on standard Size 10, or Size 10.5 boots are good from a length perspective (snug after a heat mold) but squeezes the side of my feet as boots are made to "D" width.

Mondo 280 is a Size 10 US per Burton's Boot Chart.

Name:  IMG_20160318_1656212_zpsybv9ngp6.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  118.7 KB

Per the thread above, didn't believe it and was being a dumb-*** and decided to go on the safe side and got the Ruler Wide's at 11. End result, boot is more than fine width wise but started getting heel lift after the boot packed out for a bit (5 or so rides).

So this season, I've decided to get the proper Size 10 (Adidas Superstars), got it heat molded to pre-break it in and hopefully no more bruised toe nails. They are slightly narrower than the Burton Ruler Wide's (EEE), which makes it to about an (EE) but is ever so slightly longer. Got more space on the ankle section too.

Comparing the foot beds of the Burton Ruler Wide Size 10, to the Adidas Superstars (2017) Size 10.

^ side by side

Name:  IMG_20170215_131709_zpsg1jb6lhm.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  279.1 KB

^ looks like the footbed on the Adidas is slightly longer

Name:  IMG_20170215_131755_zpshctywfde.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  373.8 KB

^ looks like footbed on the Adidas is slightly wider at the ankle area

Name:  IMG_20170215_131538_zps3eqbyzbt.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  247.3 KB

^ Ruler wide is definitely wider on the widest part of the foot by a bit.

With all that said, if the feet ain't happy - boarding sucks!

Last edited by Funks; 02-16-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by josh
Hiya,

fwiw, its raining up here right now (Squaw). Snow level just went up to about 7.5k. It may get colder late tonight, but beware. It is super heavy and full of moisture. I'd say maybe 3" @ 6.5k and a tid more up high. 10 ft of wind isnt helping...

josh
Damn it, I hope the snow levels drop.. Heading to Sierra tomorrow, hope it's not sloshed up.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Funks
I ain't advanced like you guys, I just cruise the groomers with the family, and friends. Quite a bit older than most of you (42), don't want to take any more risks than normal - lol.

With all that said, if the feet ain't happy - boarding sucks!
You are not that much older than those of us that post regularly in here. I'm turning 38, OneManArmy turns 40 and Cliff is north of 40 if I'm correct. It's all about the quality of the runs.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:01 PM

Car Info: 2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 Sports Package,SOLD-05 STi
Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
You are not that much older than those of us that post regularly in here. I'm turning 38, OneManArmy turns 40 and Cliff is north of 40 if I'm correct. It's all about the quality of the runs.
Y'all some old f**** lol, ahh who am I kidding I turn 37 in April
Least we are still riding hard
Old 02-16-2017, 10:32 PM
General Pimpin'

Cliffs pushing 43 if I'm not mistaken.

We're all still putting in work!
Old 02-17-2017, 10:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Grabbed the CK Nug again for this weekend
Old 02-17-2017, 10:11 PM
VIP Member

Funks: Good looking out on the info for us with caveman feet. I ended up swinging up to Ground Zero in Roseville to what what boots they had. They carry the Tactical but only had a 12 left. I tried on a 32 JP Walker and a Burton Highline. Not really the type of boots I'm looking for, but I just wanted to test out the fit of as many as I can. Anyhow, I hope you had a blast at Sierra today like my homegirl & I did.

Sure, the snow was on the heavy side, but that few inches of fresh to start the day with was nice even if it was really firm underneath that fluff. Boy! Did it get soggy late in the 2nd half of the day! We were completely drenched when we called it a day. But that's partly cuz we mostly sessioned West Bowl. The winds were only an issue a few times and only in a few exposed areas, esp. the backside run. That X-course was sweet! Ran it 3 times!

My stats for today: Trace

My session sheet:

As the guys have mentioned, I'm the oldest of the bunch at a spry 45! And I just added that 45th candle to the cake on Super Bowl Sunday... same day I rode Diamond Peak. Anyway, I'd say my session sheets ain't too shabby for my age. As the fellas also said, "still riding hard" and "still putting in work!"

On the drive up & back, 'twas nuts to see so many large slide areas. Crossing my fingers that all those areas along all those arteries up to our winter playgrounds hold up thru the holiday wknd. Sun nite into Mon is gonna be rough. A huge system will be dropping some serious precip. The upper elevations are supposed to get close to 2ft of pow. And sadly, the winds will be very strong with that one.

Jeff: Awesome that you got to take the CK Nug out again. I rode the Reverse Crew again! And when I 1st scored it, Sierra was the one resort I really wanted to put it through its paces. I am really digging it now. It held its own thru everything. Although no deep pow today (I had a healthy dose of it at Bear & Diamond Peak the 1st two times riding it.), I hit up a variety of terrain today... dipping in & out of and thru the glades, every park except the The Alley & Bashful, long groomers, steeps, etc. Hell, look at my session sheet.... 64 jumps!!! It's a fun & lively deck.

You should have a blast this wknd. I hope you're heading to Bear cuz everywhere else will be SUPER packed.

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.