rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Me and Jordan been working on a couple new spots. I wouldn't ride them right now but in March we'll ride them.
Nice. By the time we do our annual, I'm hoping to be in the kinda shape to handle these stashes.

Also, between now and then (preferably in a few weeks once I've built up my snowlegs), I'm hoping to catch a pow day on the Lower Mtn. It's been forever since I rode ALL them goodies. Pre-SubaBrew Crew, I've only really ridden the Snow Valley side... back when the other lift was still in existence. And iirc, I've dropped into the upper gates off Mokelumne West only a few times in my life. I'd be stoked to catch some of the more heart-pounding lines spilling from that ridge. And hell, I'd need to revisit the runs along the opposite ridge off the preferred parking lot.

Lastly, I'll let you know sometime tmrw if I'm able to join you & Jordan on Sat!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 AM
VIP Member

While Boreal's webcam shows folks on the lifts, here is accuweather's current conditions for Norden, CA (basically the Donner Pass/Summit area - elev. 7000'):

DAY

29°HI
RealFeel® 16°
Precipitation 95%
Heavy snow, accumulating an additional 12-18 inches, very windy this morning; chilly

SW 21 mph
Gusts: 68 mph
Max UV Index: 1 (Low)
Thunderstorms: 24%
Precipitation: 0.86 in
Rain: 0 in
Snow: 15.0 in
Ice: 0 in
Hours of Precipitation: 8.5 hrs
Hours of Rain: 0 hrs

But those peeps out there are still having a better time than me banging away on this keyboard. LOL

And just now even higher winds gust readings for Twin Bridges (Sierra-at-Tahoe) & Bear Valley, 76mph and 93mph respectively. YIKES!!!

Last edited by boardoholic; 01-20-2017 at 09:48 AM. Reason: added Sierra & Bear Valley numbers
Old 01-20-2017, 09:47 AM
VIP Member

Oh, and just so I don't muck up the group text (gotta figure out what's up w/ my phone), I'll leave this note here.

The latest best proposed date for our annual to Bear/Arnold that I saw was Mar 18-19.

Though I doubt I'd make a trip to Mammoth, my call would be Mar 4-5 or Apr 1-2. But since I'm not even close to 50/50 odds of joining in, y'all pick what's best for you. Though we should try to first settle a date for our Bear/Arnold snow&beer-fest.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:39 AM

Car Info: 2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 Sports Package,SOLD-05 STi
Originally Posted by boardoholic
Oh, and just so I don't muck up the group text (gotta figure out what's up w/ my phone), I'll leave this note here.

The latest best proposed date for our annual to Bear/Arnold that I saw was Mar 18-19.

Though I doubt I'd make a trip to Mammoth, my call would be Mar 4-5 or Apr 1-2. But since I'm not even close to 50/50 odds of joining in, y'all pick what's best for you. Though we should try to first settle a date for our Bear/Arnold snow&beer-fest.
March 18-19 works for me
Old 01-20-2017, 03:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Originally Posted by XxSti05xX
March 18-19 works for me
Same
Old 01-20-2017, 05:34 PM

Car Info: STI Hatch - 2012
Just curious... why is it so bad that US-50 typically has those 2 spots for chain control? Only asking cuz your profile says you drive a Subaru, right?
I have an STI with Snow tires, the problem is pretty much everyone else that's not prepared (lot of people seem to go to that tubing place / snow recreation place in the middle). The two chain control area's basically create two backups - when I went through there a couple of weeks ago, it took me 6 hours to get to Sierra (one way).
Old 01-20-2017, 11:56 PM

Car Info: 2003 PSM WRX, 80 Brat ready for Chevy 350 Swap.
Maybe I'll see some of you up at Bear tomorrow. Pow day!!!
Old 01-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Bear Valley was crazy yesterday. Drove the Rex through the blizzard on the way up never even slipped, studded snow tires, even my buddy riding shotgun was impressed, he drives a CR-V though. Powder so deep you could stop in your tracks downhill on any black diamond run, up to my chest at times in the trees.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:48 PM

Car Info: 2015 Ford F-150 XLT FX4 Sports Package,SOLD-05 STi
Heading up Tuesday to Sierra at Tahoe with Matt and Steve
Old 01-22-2017, 08:40 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by wrxisthebest
Maybe I'll see some of you up at Bear tomorrow. Pow day!!!
Aww... didn't see your posts till now. If ya don't already, ya gotta get Ray's (OneManArmy) or his lil bro's (Jordan) cell #, so you can link up when they ride. Jordan's up every wknd.
Bear Valley was crazy yesterday. Drove the Rex through the blizzard on the way up never even slipped, studded snow tires, even my buddy riding shotgun was impressed, he drives a CR-V though. Powder so deep you could stop in your tracks downhill on any black diamond run, up to my chest at times in the trees.
As u said, it was insane. The conds were mos def stellar. So deep. The four of us that rode yesterday (Ray, Jordan, Justin [bluwrxwgn], and I) kept it on the safe side. Cuz there was copious amounts of pow pow everywhere, you didn't need to venture very far off the main runs to enjoy the goodies.

'Twas Justin's 1st day and my 2nd; and we're working from pretty much ZERO activity. LOL. The few times I had the legs to venture into the deeper & steeper was awesome. Not so fun was the 30+ yard hike from the bottom of Big John on my 1st run of the day.

Oh, and re: the driving, although we witnessed some inexperienced... or more like overly cautious... drivers, I'm glad they respected the conditions. I'd rather get stuck behind some folks puttering along for a lil while than have traffic at a standstill cuz they drove like a jackass and ended up wiping out and blocking the roads.

Nice to know you have a solid winter setup.
Originally Posted by XxSti05xX
Heading up Tuesday to Sierra at Tahoe with Matt and Steve
Y'all are in for an epic day. But pls be safe and buddy up if y'all decide to have fun off trail.

Wish I could join y'all but Fri's my next possible sesh.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 PM

Car Info: 2017 STI WRB
I'm heading out to Sierra on Sunday :/

I really want to go Tues though... but GF needs her car and I'm not risking the '17 in deep snow and summer tires.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:55 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Did you see the hatch running chains? Dude was driving slow as hell!!!!

And yeah... snow was DEEEEEEEP!!!!
Old 01-23-2017, 12:20 PM
VIP Member

"DEEEEEEEP" is actually understating it, y'all. If you haven't seen Mattly's video report today....

30" overnight!

113" storm total (19 Jan - 23 Jan)!!

183" in 2 weeks!!!
Old 01-23-2017, 04:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Did you see the hatch running chains? Dude was driving slow as hell!!!!
The slow part wasn't so bad. It was the hogging the road by staying in the middle cuz he and/or wifey was too damn scurred to stay tighter to the right. Not even for 20 seconds so we could pass with more peace of mind.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:45 PM

Aww... didn't see your posts till now. If ya don't already, ya gotta get Ray's (OneManArmy) or his lil bro's (Jordan) cell #, so you can link up when they ride. Jordan's up every wknd.As u said, it was insane. The conds were mos def stellar. So deep. The four of us that rode yesterday (Ray, Jordan, Justin [bluwrxwgn], and I) kept it on the safe side. Cuz there was copious amounts of pow pow everywhere, you didn't need to venture very far off the main runs to enjoy the goodies.

'Twas Justin's 1st day and my 2nd; and we're working from pretty much ZERO activity. LOL. The few times I had the legs to venture into the deeper & steeper was awesome. Not so fun was the 30+ yard hike from the bottom of Big John on my 1st run of the day.

Oh, and re: the driving, although we witnessed some inexperienced... or more like overly cautious... drivers, I'm glad they respected the conditions. I'd rather get stuck behind some folks puttering along for a lil while than have traffic at a standstill cuz they drove like a jackass and ended up wiping out and blocking the roads.

Ya, I guess their family cabin is right around the corner we from my house. Surprised I have to gotten a knock on the door with the CF hood bugeye out front lol.

Was my first go this year and was completely worth it. Wish lower mountain was open with all the pow pow but safety is key, can't wait to go again.

And definitely just drove up there, come across slow people just be patient, you'll get there and you'll be in one piece. Seen to many people in a rush cause an accident causing the road to be closed for at least an hour, especially when the road is only a 1.5 lane road in those conditions.

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.