rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 05:34 PM

Car Info: STI Hatch - 2012
Originally Posted by boardoholic
Speaking of wind, Mt. Blows will be living up to its name with this system. SnowForecast.com has gusts today at 96 mph! Sustained winds from the SW at 39 to 63 mph. For your Sat pow sesh, the winds come down a bit... from the WSW at 25 to 39 mph, with gusts up to 59 mph.
Was windy as hell Saturday - most people went back home as only the Wizard was open. We stuck around and they finally opened up the Lakeview lift around 12 ( resort at this point was pretty empty, probably around less than 200 people around), and Galena at 1.

No Mt. Rose chutes for my friends but I was pretty happy with the powderpuff runs, great for cruising. Went to Boreal Sunday.

Last edited by Funks; 02-06-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: psm.03.wrx.wgn
Nice, Funks. Sounds like you got what you needed outta your 2 days.

Jeff, how'd you like the CK Nug?

Btw, I rode my Reverse Crew for the 2nd time at DeePeak. I gotta admit that I didn't like that "not locked-in" feeling when railing a high speed turn on the firm stuff or groomers. That 1st day I rode it at Bear a couple wknds ago, the squirrely-ness was kinda unsettling. But I'm slowly coming around to the playfulness (aka formerly squirrely-ness) of rocker or reverse camber. 'Tis just taking some time to get used to the feel since I've only ridden regular cambered boards... some 19+ years!
Old 02-08-2017, 11:00 AM
VIP Member

Oh, and this vid just got to my Inbox recently...

I always dug "Mikey." I remember pulling for him when I went to the Summer X-Games in SF where they set up a Snowboard Big Air event. Yes, you read that right. SNOWBOARD BIG AIR at Summer X!!!

As the vid was wrapping up, I thought about how grateful he sounds. And how his sense of "pure joy" (the exact words that came to mind) truly comes across, then seconds later... mind link. Must be the fact that we're nearly the same age. LOL

"Ride to Live. Live to Ride."
Old 02-09-2017, 10:09 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Nice, Funks. Sounds like you got what you needed outta your 2 days.

Btw, I rode my Reverse Crew for the 2nd time at DeePeak. I gotta admit that I didn't like that "not locked-in" feeling when railing a high speed turn on the firm stuff or groomers. That 1st day I rode it at Bear a couple wknds ago, the squirrely-ness was kinda unsettling. But I'm slowly coming around to the playfulness (aka formerly squirrely-ness) of rocker or reverse camber. 'Tis just taking some time to get used to the feel since I've only ridden regular cambered boards... some 19+ years!
Yeah man. It was/is the same way for me. I really like it for the most part but the combination of the camber profile with the carbon runners in it make it difficult to rail turns on and riding flat is not possible. LOL!

But you do get there. I don't see myself not having at least one reverse or combination camber board in my quiver at all times any time soon. My primary board will likely have some variance of that tech for the foreseeable future. Hell... I'd get another RCrew if I could. But they don't have anymore 62's laying around.

And this is coming from a dude that based a lot of his board selection of of how much camber the boards had. I've always liked it.

I've been riding that standard camber tapered board this year and I forgot how to ride it. LOL! And I forgot how much fund the super snappy hard power turns are on regular camber boards.... LOL!
Old 02-09-2017, 01:54 PM
VIP Member

I was waiting to hear your take, Ray. That wknd Justin & I came up to ride w/ y'all, I was actually surprised when I found out that the Reverse Crew has been your "daily driver" for a while now.

I figured that, as you said, I'd eventually get comfy with its ride characteristics. But for a minute or two as I was stowing my gear on Sunday, I did think about selling it.

When I rode it that 1st time, I didn't really help ease any transition by switching mid-day from the Bluebird. But the one good thing about that day was that there was such a wide range of terrain & snow conditions to test it out on. It seemed to hold its own thru it all. I just was not comfy with how "loose" it felt at times. I'm just too accustomed to the bite and snap (I like your word for it.) of regular camber.

And like you, I'll likely keep it in my bag o' tricks as well cuz I'll learn to adjust my riding on it.

Oh, and the other day when I was prepping an OLD (bought at Costco over 15 years ago!) spare beginner board for my friend's daughter to use, I saw that I still also have a 154 Burton Dominant (a 10-year old freestyle deck) that I rode a couple times and eventually gifted to my nephew, who rides one or twice every other year or so. I'll likely bust that baby out on a dork around spring day. And that thing has been ridden less than 10 times!

Last edited by boardoholic; 02-09-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:02 PM
VIP Member

I know there's a crew up in Whistler right now for the next handful of days. And we've got passholders of Bear and the Vail Resorts.

Other than pingupenguin, who rides Sierra on the regular? I'll be there on Sunday. I'm bringing up some newbie cousins (one 1st timer and another 2nd timer -- neither have previous experience skiing or with any boardsports). So it'd be sweet to link up with a fellow i-clubber and share some turns on the slopes.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:08 AM
General Pimpin'

I'm trying to figure out the weekend at BV. We're locked out of the cabin this weekend.

Current idea is to head up around 4:30 Sat morning. Switch cars at Justin's. Go to the cabin and grab our gear. Go snowboard. Drive back down to Justin's house and crash there for Sat night. Head up from there Sunday morning. I'm gonna bring my stuff home this trip so I can keep it if I decide to head up to tahoe.

I may try and figure out how to use the Giro house. I can bring 1 or 2 with me.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:09 PM
General Pimpin'

Any of you guys want to bunk in a hotel with us on Sat night? Be rolling up Sat morning through tracy. Riding Sat. Crazy in Murphy's Sat night. Ride Sunday. Head down the hill sunday.

It's technically a 2 room set up but it's 2 beds and a fold out so we could do 4 in there. We can get you hooked up with like $20-25 discount on lift tickets at Bear Valley too.

Right now it's me and justin. My brother might go too. So we could sneak 1 more dude in there. Just have to pony up like $40. Easy.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS / 2004 Forester X
Dude, that thing was DOPE!!

Really fast for how short it is, super quick turning & light. With all that I noticed it would pick up full speed a lot sooner than my ride boards. Rode awesome in the pow last Saturday. However in choppy / crusty areas it didn't do so well since it didn't have the length to remain stable so it felt twitchy / sketchy in those areas but other than that it totally rocked!

I actually wanted to bring it up again this weekend but I got another employee who called dibs on it haha.
Old 02-10-2017, 03:29 PM
VIP Member

Sounds fun, Ray. But as I posted yesterday, I'm heading to South Lake tmrw to ride Sierra on Sunday. Btw, urrybody else, I'm still looking for heads to link up with up there. But if you ever get this dialed in some time down the line...
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
I may try and figure out how to use the Giro house. I can bring 1 or 2 with me.
... count me in. I assume the spot is up in Tahoe, yes?!?
Old 02-10-2017, 03:31 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
Dude, that thing was DOPE!!

Really fast for how short it is, super quick turning & light. With all that I noticed it would pick up full speed a lot sooner than my ride boards. Rode awesome in the pow last Saturday. However in choppy / crusty areas it didn't do so well since it didn't have the length to remain stable so it felt twitchy / sketchy in those areas but other than that it totally rocked!

I actually wanted to bring it up again this weekend but I got another employee who called dibs on it haha.
NICE!

Where are you riding this wknd?
Old 02-10-2017, 03:55 PM
VIP Member

I'll be at BV tomorrow. Driving up in the morning with 2 buddies & meeting up with my friend Rob & some of his crew at another cabin right down the street from Ray's lol.

We're crashing out in Arnold Sat night & probably head home Sunday. Was trying to get Ray/Justin/Jordan in along with us in that cabin as well but they aren't gonna have room for that many extras :/

Ray, like I mentioned in txt... we'll be at the cabin near u ~730 so hopefully we can sync up in the am b4 heading to BV... since I don't get crap for cell service up there lol!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:51 PM
General Pimpin'

Sounds fun, Ray. But as I posted yesterday, I'm heading to South Lake tmrw to ride Sierra on Sunday. Btw, urrybody else, I'm still looking for heads to link up with up there. But if you ever get this dialed in some time down the line...

... count me in. I assume the spot is up in Tahoe, yes?!?
Yeah. It's at alpine/squaw.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:20 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by stg2lgcy00
I'll be at BV tomorrow. Driving up in the morning with 2 buddies & meeting up with my friend Rob & some of his crew at another cabin right down the street from Ray's lol.

We're crashing out in Arnold Sat night & probably head home Sunday. Was trying to get Ray/Justin/Jordan in along with us in that cabin as well but they aren't gonna have room for that many extras :/

Ray, like I mentioned in txt... we'll be at the cabin near u ~730 so hopefully we can sync up in the am b4 heading to BV... since I don't get crap for cell service up there lol!
Sounds like Jordan is *****ing out.

So my plan is to head out tomorrow. I'll leave my place at 4:30. Hit Tracy around 6. Switch cars. Head up to Bear. Then we'll probably just head back to Justin's and crash there. Head back up to Bear the next morning.

Don't really want to make that 2 hour drive 2 extra times but staying at a hotel is stupid for the two of us. 3 or 4 make sense.

Jeff... if you want to meet up and roll up together let me know. Just text me at some point after 4:30. LOL!

I wish I wouldn't freeze to death sleeping in the truck. I'd just do that. LOL!

I could probably cuddle up under about 20 blankets and be alright. LOL! Gonna be like 16 freakin degrees.
Old 02-10-2017, 05:28 PM
VIP Member

Will do, maybe we can meet up right off the 99 in Manteca? Like right by the Wendy's & gas station?

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.