rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Off the hook bluebird today!

Oh... and the wall of shame.
what mountain did you go to today bro?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
what mountain did you go to today bro?
Bear Valley. We always hit Bear, season passes and a cabin in Arnold.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Car Info: 07 Legacy GT Wagon
Did a day trip to Kirkwood yesterday. 2 feet of fresh powder with bright blue skies. Best snowboarding day of my life. They had chair 10 and the backside closed for most of the morning (avi contorl) so the lines were pretty long. My first four runs were on untouched powder. Chair 10 opened up around 11:30. The backside around noon. Then around 1:30, the avalance alarm sounded and they closed most of the mountain. We were pretty beat by then so we packed it up and headed home. From their facebook page, it looks like the avalanche happened on the backside and no one was injured. Luckily for me, they're now going to give everyone who was there yesterday a free lift ticket thru the end of the season. Sweet!!! Best boarding day of my life.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:09 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Yeah, road bear.

It was epic blue bird conditions for sure. Mad light pow. Sun. I'm fried! My nose is like a cherry tomato.

It was slam packed in the morning. Some super sick lines all day though. Road our not so secret anymore stashes but still TOTALLY untouched lines for a mile straight. I took my biggest spill of the year. Hopped a roller. Stuck. Flipped. Battle rolled out. Nose manual. Caught back edge. Slammed. Set off a one man avalanche. Stopped between a huge rock and a group of trees.

I through down one of my sickest runs of the year though.

Good day. Knee is nice and full of water.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:11 AM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Dong Homez
Did a day trip to Kirkwood yesterday. 2 feet of fresh powder with bright blue skies. Best snowboarding day of my life. They had chair 10 and the backside closed for most of the morning (avi contorl) so the lines were pretty long. My first four runs were on untouched powder. Chair 10 opened up around 11:30. The backside around noon. Then around 1:30, the avalance alarm sounded and they closed most of the mountain. We were pretty beat by then so we packed it up and headed home. From their facebook page, it looks like the avalanche happened on the backside and no one was injured. Luckily for me, they're now going to give everyone who was there yesterday a free lift ticket thru the end of the season. Sweet!!! Best boarding day of my life.
Yeah Kirkwood was reporting a lot of snow. Bear and Kirkwood are usually pretty close but it seems like Kirkwood has gotten the most snow in the area this year. I was thinking how sick 6/10 probably were yesterday.

Afternoon was way dangerous for avalanches. Pow started getting real heavy and once it started to move it just collected everything around it. Sketch. Bear was bombing early I guess but the real avi danger areas have been closed all year anyways.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:41 AM
General Pimpin'

ANNOUNCEMENT SUBABREW CREW!

This season has been an odd one and most of us have been riding together all year but no true trip... Bear Valley closes the weekend after this one.

So next weekend it is. Be there or be square. Snow will likely suck but we can have a grand old time.

So quote this and add your name to the list.

1. OneManArmy
2. Bluwrxwgn

I'll add a few guys to the list as I know but there's a good chance I'll have a couple buddies up. Talking to 3 guys.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:18 PM
VIP Member

Anybody see the Red Bull Signature series Travis Rice Event, Supernatural. It aired last weekend. I recorded it and watched last night. Crazy event. 55 degree pitch, huge booters landing in untouched pow. Incredible event. It's funny seeing some of the young bucks used to only Groomed jumps and landings trying to land in the pow and getting their nose swallowed up and going over the bars.

Was watching with my 2 year old around, he started to say, I do that and pretended to strap into a board and again said I do that and started to jump to do the tricks. He also noticed that they, go real fast.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:24 PM

Car Info: 2012 WRX
Me and 2 buddies did a day trip to Borreal last sunday. Also nice and sunny with soft powder everywhere we spent half the day teaching or newbie buddy, and then spent the rest just doing relaxed runs.

OneManArmy - you riding both days 14 and 15? I really want to go back to Bear Valley as the first and only time I was there, it was cut super short -- my buddy got hit by the lift chair on the face and had to get stitches.

EDIT -- yup, I also got sunburned pretty bad last sunday LOL! Even my lips have sunburn....
Old 04-05-2012, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by zergling
Me and 2 buddies did a day trip to Borreal last sunday. Also nice and sunny with soft powder everywhere we spent half the day teaching or newbie buddy, and then spent the rest just doing relaxed runs.

OneManArmy - you riding both days 14 and 15? I really want to go back to Bear Valley as the first and only time I was there, it was cut super short -- my buddy got hit by the lift chair on the face and had to get stitches.

EDIT -- yup, I also got sunburned pretty bad last sunday LOL! Even my lips have sunburn....
Which lift?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by bluwrxwgn
Which lift?
I honestly don't know, as it was my first and only time at Bear Valley. Somehow my brain is telling my it's a weird 3-seater, but I'm not 100% certain. I just know the chair swung/turned hard enough to give my buddy a cut on his cheekbone.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:23 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by zergling
I honestly don't know, as it was my first and only time at Bear Valley. Somehow my brain is telling my it's a weird 3-seater, but I'm not 100% certain. I just know the chair swung/turned hard enough to give my buddy a cut on his cheekbone.
Crazy. Yeah their lifts are pretty old.

It was probably Bear... all the way on the right. They have some pretty hairy 2 seat lifts.

If you don't get moving at the top you can get tagged pretty good. I've seen it a few times. I got picked up and tossed once.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Crazy. Yeah their lifts are pretty old.

It was probably Bear... all the way on the right. They have some pretty hairy 2 seat lifts.

If you don't get moving at the top you can get tagged pretty good. I've seen it a few times. I got picked up and tossed once.
Yea I hate Koala. And when we have to double up, it's way worse on that lift.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM

Yeah it was a bad day for me and my buddy. I had to drive him to the hospital to get stitches.....and he basically spent the whole day there as they were limited on staff and his cut wasn't considered a priority.

There's a lift chair at Sierra that's similar -- if you don't hurry getting off, it'll hit you on your back when it's turning around
Old 04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
General Pimpin'

I had a kid get put on the lift with me... idiot parents. 2 parents. 1 small kid. They send the kid up ahead with a total stranger so they can ride together.

Anyways... it's Koala... the gnarliest chair I've probably ever been on. Kid gets scooped and tossed face first on to the ground. Fortunately I saw it coming so I slammed my board into the snow and stopped the chair from swinging back and knocking this kid out cold. He fell getting off too.

I remember a couple years ago that same thing happened but the other person didn't stop the chair. Kid got clocked and started having a seizure. Had to be heli'd out.

Helmet FTW!
Old 04-05-2012, 03:09 PM

Wow that's crazy. Kid is so fortunate to have you there!

As for helments, I used to think it was just a fad after Natasha Richardson's death, and noobs like me don't need it in groomed runs. I think what prompted me to get one was one fall where I landed on my back felt the back of my head hit soft powder. Had that been ice....who knows if I'm still alive right now.

Quick Reply: rollcall...snowboarding...you know who you are.