Profiled on 680 in Pleasanton - Sent to STATE REF.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 01:00 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by willow
Being pulled over is getting really old....

...By the way, I hate F&F.
It is getting old. I've owned three Subarus (two wagons and one STi) and have been pulled over more than 10 times and issued no tickets. Seems like its guilty until proven innocent.... for driving Subarus!!
Old 03-29-2009, 01:03 AM

Car Info: 350hp WRX/2008 EVO X
Originally Posted by willow
Happened to me twice in last 4 months. 1st time, I went to state ref. Converted all power mods to stock. Passed the smog.
2nd time, the cop let me go, because I was all stock except for borla hush and carb intake.
So, getting pulled over once doesn't mean you will not get pulled over next time. I'm glad I kept my rex smog legal 2nd round. If it wasn't, most likely I had to visit state ref again.
I too is considering selling the rex. Being pulled over is getting really old. I think I'm going to put stock catback for now....Need something fast in stock form. I think non-carb mods are not worth it these days. It's going to get worse. I guess I'm getting old. By the way, I hate F&F.
Your guys stories are making me consider keeping my new evo stock, which I will prolly do(maybe a tune at most =)). I looked for a vehicle that I would be satisfied with stock, and I am happily married to my stock evo for 2 weeks now! I suggest to everyone buy something you would be happy with stock, or maybe with just a tune(something that officers can not detect, so easily). Unless you enjoy being pulled over, and cops f----ing with you. I wish it wasnt that way, but looks like its getting bad.

Usually the STI, or Evo's would do the trick I mean after a stock tune your over 300whp each vehicle! Crazy!
Old 03-29-2009, 01:06 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by Spoolin415
I'm curious about those CARB legal Magnaflow cats. I bet they're just like every other hi-flow cat on the market except Magnaflow paid the extortion $$ to CARB to get the approval.
They aren't anymore. CARB changed the rules for 2009, and now all cats must be OEM. That unfortunately means even the magnaflow's are now off carb listing.

The only real way I see to do a "carb legal" turboback would be to cut the top section off a good catless downpipe, weld in the OEM STI cats, then build the rest of the system back from there. Beyond that I guess you could take the perinn 2 piece downpipe, tig weld it together, then use a English wheel to expand the stock heat shields to mount over the new system.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:23 AM

Car Info: 2006 2.5I Sports Wagon
That sucks. Being pulled over in an outwardly stock car is garbage without any provocation. There is no car on the road, save SUVs and pickups that people dont race. For gods sake there is a TRD 2door Yaris. Hell my dads pickup has an K&N intake on it that is not CARB legal, and that thing wont get a trip to the stat ref for it. I dont know what to say, it makes me so mad. Pull over the guy going 90 weaving or the kids racing, not some guy out for a drive in a sporty import. So lame. Are they going to ref all the pick ups and SUVs with AEM exhaust too? If they are going to do it to us they should be doing it to everyone
Old 03-29-2009, 01:43 AM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by birkref1
That sucks. Being pulled over in an outwardly stock car is garbage without any provocation. There is no car on the road, save SUVs and pickups that people dont race. For gods sake there is a TRD 2door Yaris. Hell my dads pickup has an K&N intake on it that is not CARB legal, and that thing wont get a trip to the stat ref for it. I dont know what to say, it makes me so mad. Pull over the guy going 90 weaving or the kids racing, not some guy out for a drive in a sporty import. So lame. Are they going to ref all the pick ups and SUVs with AEM exhaust too? If they are going to do it to us they should be doing it to everyone
Our community only has itself to thank.

God, I swear I've said that once before.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Token Toyota Mod

Car Info: Something german
Sorry to hear about you getting pulled over but I saw a few cars on the 680 on the side with their hoods popped. Mustangs, trucks, domestic and imports. I saw a few bikes as well. It wasn't just subaru or rice rockets. It was everything that look modified. From the young to the old they didn't discriminate. Must have been due to the Goodguys show that was going on in Pleasanton today.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:28 AM

Car Info: drives a STi
Sorry to hear about that, freakn sux to get pulled over anytime especially if one has a modded car. So u thinking of trading it in for a 09 sti? I'm really considering of trading in as well. Good luck man.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:07 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Originally Posted by Project Worx
Your guys stories are making me consider keeping my new evo stock, which I will prolly do(maybe a tune at most =)). I looked for a vehicle that I would be satisfied with stock, and I am happily married to my stock evo for 2 weeks now!

You and I see eye to eye. I got my STi because it has more then enough power for me for a daily driver. Since the STi comes from the factory with a really crappy map I bought an access port and had GST tune it, gained about 35lb/ft and 20whp, not to mention improved everything in the powerband. Now the car runs great, more then enough power for me (and more power then most cars on the road). If I had 400WHP I'd do NOTHING but get in trouble.

I added a catback because I love to hear my engine when I drive. I hardly ever even look at my gauges... It's great for spirited driving. I can't stand when a car is silent and you can't hear it's beautiful exhaust note, especially for a Subaru (Awesome boxer engine exhaust note)
Old 03-29-2009, 03:27 AM

Car Info: Honda with a wing =P
That totally sucks, being pulled over because he might get lucky and be able to ticket your for something is complete BS. I support LEOs but when it seems like they just sit there and think "hmmm, I bet I can ticket this guy for something" and then pull you over shouldn't be right. But once you opened your glove and exposed the AP, he had probable cause.

Do what you gotta do to get it worked out, don't worry too much, I once got pulled over on my bike for "modified exhaust" which was funny because it was stock and I had to even crouch down and point out the "honda" stamped on the cans. Oh well no one's perfect.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:22 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
Whats taking them so long on your plates brucelee? I got my car in december and had my plates 2 weeks later. Or is it because your sti was used and something is wrong with the paper work and making them take longer?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:29 AM

Car Info: '11 White Shelby Cobra GT 500
For reasons like this thread i am very happy owner of my Tribeca.. No more looks since i gave up my sti..
Old 03-29-2009, 05:33 AM
banned

Car Info: 2007 WRX Limited | vf43'D
On my way up to Tahoe on Fri night, we got eyeballed to hell by an all white CHP cruiser around the Davis/Dixon area.

Radar detector caught him creeping up, I locked in at 65mph, he rolled past, got on his brakes to get a look at the back of the car, then went a little ahead to get a look at the front of the car, then took off.

Either he thought my car was hawt, or was looking for a FMIC, no front plate, ricer muffler, etc. *akwaard*

Apparently front window tint isn't always a problem unless the l.e.o uses their discretion otherwise.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:01 AM

Car Info: wrx02
Cool

So, does this officially make us bad @$$ - like bikers or similar?
Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
It's all about stealth out here. Keep the car looking low profile and keep thing looking plane under the hood and 99% of cops won't do anything. I've had customers with catless, big turbo setups get their hoods popped and released with no ticket. It's all about appearances .
Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Car Info: toaster
Originally Posted by Overbear
So let me get this right...

You have a CAI with no carb sticker, and a catless downpipe...both of which violate the law, and you are pissed the cop did his job...

Stupid kids today.
Are you serious? So should the cop just pull everyone over with a wing and assume the "stupid kid" is a racer..... I'm all for cops doing their jobs but pulling over someone for a big wing isn't fair especially when it comes straight from the factory. Great insight dude.....

Matt, sorry to hear about that man. Sucks it had to happen to you.....

Wes

Quick Reply: Profiled on 680 in Pleasanton - Sent to STATE REF.