The Mitsubishi Evo is no more

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 01:40 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by c279a
sounds like he just a subaru fanboy or just a dumbass idoit
He makes some really good points. Just wish there were some breaks in the wall of text so it would be easier to take in.

Last edited by FXTbrah; 03-03-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:47 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
^ A little bit.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:19 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: FORD PINTO
Originally Posted by LifePlaza
your throwout bearing is shot which is that constant grinding noise you are hearing while in gear.
I don't care, not keeping the car. As long as it gets me to where I need to go for now, is fine with me.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: FORD PINTO
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
He makes some really good points. Just wish there were some breaks in the wall of text so it would be easier to take in.
making good points if fine, but he's throwing in hate along with it.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
Originally Posted by c279a
I don't care, not keeping the car. As long as it gets me to where I need to go for now, is fine with me.
Then don't preach that your **** don't stink saying "My 6speed is fine" Something is wrong with your drivetrain.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:33 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by LifePlaza
Then don't preach that your **** don't stink saying "My 6speed is fine" Something is wrong with your drivetrain.
Well it is the weaker of the two trannies.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
Anyone wanna buy some milled AK receivers?
Old 03-03-2011, 03:03 PM

PS: All this talk about what's better is lame. Both the EVO and STi are GREAT cars, almost identical with some slight differences. The STi is more of an everyday car, even the EVO salesman said so to which I agree 100%, however, then I drove an EVO X (used to the old EVO) and all my notions went out the door.

The EVO X's interior is so much better than my STi's (07), that is MY opinion that is shared with my wife as well (and she loves my STi. even told me she'd divorce me if I got an EVO, then I took her for a ride in the white EVO X that I want, all opinions changed).

I have a fairly stock STi, just a tune with springs and some other minor suspension mods. I have swift springs which didn't really stiffen the ride too much, just lowered the car which is what I wanted. From the factory my STi was "harsh", and that's not coming from me since I enjoy a harsh ride, that's coming from every single passenger who rode i my car! That includes a friend who has an 08 STi, he said my stock ride is a lot more aggressive than his, and when I drove his car I will have to agree. the GD was the last "RAW" impreza... I love it to death but I'm just so conflicted. I've wanted an EVO since the mid 90's, but knew I couldn't have one... I've also been a Subaru fanboi for the longest time so when the 2.5RS first showed up in 98, I saved my money and bought a 2000 Blue Ridge Pearl 2.5RS (in 99, so early production). I was one of the first people to have the MAP sensor instead of the faulty MAF that the 98-99 had.... I also didn't have any DOHC probs like the previous years did (so no blown head gaskets for me in the 150k miles I drove the RS, and I drove it HARD). I soon forgot about the EVO and focused on what I could get my hands on.

Then in 2003 something crazy happened. Mitsu of USA released the new EVO here in the states. The ONLY reason I didn't buy one is because I was going to school, working at Adobe, and doing part time work at Vishnu (yeah, you read that right). Shiv, as hard as it is to get along with him sometimes, is a very smart guy and was one of the first to realize one HUGE fault on the part of Mitsubishi of America. They brought the EVO's here with Mobil 1 oil as the standard break in oil. As most of you know, for the first thousand-3thousand miles the engine has to break in which is why Subaru uses dinosaur oil to break their cars in... You need a certain amount of wear and tear in those first 3k miles and the sythetic oil was preventing the car from breaking in properly which caused problems with a lot of cars. A way to tell is to open the oil intake cap and smell the oil... If you smell fuel the car hasn't broken in properly and will most likely fail sooner than later. I saw a LOT of EVO's come into VISHNU with this problem. The early EVO's almost all suffer from this unless the owner was aware of the issue and properly drained the factory oil and replaced it with the same stuff they use in the Japanese EVO's (Only the USDM EVO's got synthetic oil from the factory).

I think Mitsubishi finally realized their mistake and stopped doing that. The EVO 8-9 was and still is a great car, but it's fairly simple inside and out, so it is true that the old GD Subaru interior is greatly beyond the old EVO interior.

The EVO-X is a completely different car. They went after the STi in almost every way. Even in the most basic trim, the EVO's interior is way better than the STi's. No noise, no creaks, no rough idle, nada. The 291 has to be under rated because it feels just as fast as my tuned STi, and best part of all is that the car has NO TURBO LAG AT ALL. It makes the EJ20 look like a total POS. It has about as much lag as a stock STi, maybe a little less. I was able to start from ZERO in third gear just to test out the power band. The clutch is so light that you can barely feel it, and the car doesn't lurch back and forth when starting in the wrong gear like the STi does. I can start my STi in second gear no problem (no power, but I can still do it), but 3rd gear the car really struggles.

So, the EVO X is not only nicer on the outside, but it's quieter, seems to be be built better, the seats are like 100x better than the STi. The smaller steering ratio is AMAZING. Not like the old EVO, this car feels like it can make a U turn from one lane to another, it's THAT tight feeling. The steering wheel is smaller and much easier to engage. So much easier to do a pendulum turn, you can flick that car around like no other. I love the AWD system a lot better, a lot more foregiving and a lot less understeer, and that's stock VS my modified STi (Which has swaybars, strut bars, lower arm braces, tie down bolts, springs, custom corner balanced, etc).

The 5 speed on the EVO feels nice and smooth and I know it can handle an insane amount of power. My only complaint is the 5 speeds (I dont want their 6 speed) since I'm used to the amazing 6 speed on the STi (I have a short throw too) so the EVO feels like a SUPER LONG throw shifter. That is my only real complaint. I also kind of which the clutch felt heavier... You can barely feel it, almost like a civic clutch. Too civilized for me.

I never took the car past 4k (well, not the one I intended on buying) and it still felt better than my STi. They let me drive a broken-in GSR that they had there (2010 EVO X with like 20k miles). The guy gave me the keys and told me not to get a ticket or to wreck the car... I drove it like I stole it and had the BIGGEST grin on my face after.

I wish I could keep my STi because I know the GD's will get rarer and rarer, and I have the last year the GD STi was produced. Now that I know the EVO is going the way of the cassette, I want one even more. This is my last chance to buy a brand new EVO and I REALLY want to do it.

Ahhhhh! What to do, what to do!!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Car Info: WRX
Rob bank.

Own both.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:16 PM

PPS: Why doesn't the Subaru come with better seats? the stock STi seats are far too big for me and I weight 230-240 and I'm 6'6" (or 6'7", I can't remember). If the seats are too big for me, I can't imagine what other people of normal stature think of them. The EVO seats are basically Recaro SRD's. So much lateral support as well as some of the best lumbard support Ive ever felt in a seat. I like the stock EVO seat better than my SPARCO EVO 2, and that says A LOT. The Sparco may be more aggressive, but the stock EVO Recaro is like a mix between a full on racing seat that had a child with an STi seat. These are the seats that should have come in the Subaru. I HATE the USDM STi seats. Not only do they sit SUPER high but they have zero support. The EVO seats are SUPER low which means I have like 5" of headroom (unheard of in my world, not even trucks/hummers have that much head room).

I seriously think I could pleasure myself to the thought of owning a white EVO X with either gold or black wheels. So sexy!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:20 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 Toyota Prius Plug In 2011 Toyota Prius
just buy it already
Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by brucelee
PS: All this talk about what's better is lame.

The EVO X's interior is so much better than my STi's (07),
Stopped reading right there
Old 03-03-2011, 03:41 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
not to derail the thread but didnt you inherit like 10million or some ****?

Buy the Evo and be done with it or mod the **** out of your STI since you seem to be bored with the power of it.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Stopped reading right there
hahha, shut up. I meant the fact that people were getting all pissed because one car was better than the other. I never understood why people get all mad just because you like a different car than they do.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
not to derail the thread but didnt you inherit like 10million or some ****?

Buy the Evo and be done with it or mod the **** out of your STI since you seem to be bored with the power of it.
Ten million?! Ha! I wish. I do have an inheritance but that wont happen for another 15 years, dammit. lol

Quick Reply: The Mitsubishi Evo is no more