Japan 8.8M quake + mega tsunami

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Kim:
"Because Japanese culture, unlike all other modern cultures, is based primarily on honor and dignity. Unlike our Katrina disaster, the Japanese don't see this as an opportunity to steal everything in sight."

Greg in Arkansas:
Two words: National pride. The people of Japan love their country and do what is best for the nation, unlike the United States where we love our country and do what is best for ourselves."

IMO, comments are subjective. i simply don't believe that there is "no" looting... American's problem is that generally, we are d*cks to people we don't know. just think about this while you drive home... lol

what is the punishment in Japan for petty theft, grand theft? anyone know? perhaps along with cultural differences, there could be differences in punishment... which could drive behavioral changes and culture as a result. been down into the red light district of tokyo at about 2am? there's signs in english, that literally say, "foreigners keep out".

Japan's distinctive Buddhist and Shinto religions - values of conformity and consensus are considered virtues. this doesn't fly in America.

and America is quite different than Japan, in most ways... we are a melting pot of many, many cultures and beliefs... both above comments are generalized and stereotypical. did American's see Katrina as an opportunity to steal everything in sight? the biggest problem with American's is that we all just love to disagree and argue about everything... another difference between our cultures is Japan has an idea about conformity... while American's push for acceptance and tolerance... do you think that gay marriage would fly in Japan? would they protect illegal immigrants who do illegal acts like in SF? asian cultures in general put age first in terms of respect and you use your last name (clan name) first as the family is who you represent... these are major differences imo. you respect your elders, and you respect your clan/family and don't tarnish the name... american's are all about individuality and being different than the next guy.

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 03-15-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:11 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by Krinkov
Yeah and also about the whole pearl harbor thing, they conveniently forget that we then dropped TWO ****ING NUCLEAR BOMBS ON THEIR CITIES. Not to mention the indiscriminately firebombing of tokyo and other cities that actually killed more people than the nukes. In all we killled between 500K-1 MILLION civilians http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties since we were the only ones bombing japan, all those civilian deaths are ours.

we lost 2350 sailors and 68 civilians at Pearl Harbor. So even by the low estimate, by wars end we killed over 2000 Japanese civilians for every person killed at pearl harbor.

Yeah, Im pretty sure we can just about call that even then huh?
yeah exactly what i was saying, forgot to mention that my grandma almost lost her leg due to shrapnel during the tokyo bombings, and their house was destroyed
Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM

also, what about the $2billion a year we give the egyptians to not fight the isrealis... they use the money to buy weapons from us... which have been showing up in palestine, to fight the isrealis with... but we turn a blind eye to that one... what about this now 10year war in afghanistan we've all lost friends in? gtfo. the end of vietnam was the same way... would you go out on patrol knowing the war is over and pointless? that's why fragging was more and more common towards the end. i understand that we need political stability to safely do business in these countries, but i think we do need to focus on ourselves. money is the root of all evil, we (u.s.) only cares about anything, if there's $ involved. that's why we don't give a sh*t about africa.

and... u.s. reacted to japan's devastation faster than they did katrina...

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 03-15-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:23 PM

Yeah and also about the whole pearl harbor thing, they conveniently forget that we then dropped TWO ****ING NUCLEAR BOMBS ON THEIR CITIES. Not to mention the indiscriminately firebombing of tokyo and other cities that actually killed more people than the nukes. In all we killled between 500K-1 MILLION civilians http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties since we were the only ones bombing japan, all those civilian deaths are ours.

we lost 2350 sailors and 68 civilians at Pearl Harbor. So even by the low estimate, by wars end we killed over 2000 Japanese civilians for every person killed at pearl harbor.

Yeah, Im pretty sure we can just about call that even then huh?
i don't think this is how you estimate equality. the fact of the matter is, japan was not going to stop. we told emperor hirohito, he said go f yourself. they were going after all the pacific and weren't going to stop. what about the fighting in guam? philippines? iwo? anyone? america was the only one's with the ***** to do it. the japanese sent balloon bombs this way too, to civilian cities on the west coast also, just didn't do much. but they tried. also, firebombings of dresden? anyone read about that in history books? anyone know about armenia and the turks?

and yes, million men, women, children were executed by the ****. literally hacked heads off babies in front of their mothers, heads kicked around, bodies dragged around, all the while laughing... my family would not accept me bringing home a japanese girl, i have to accept that.

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 03-15-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
i don't think this is how you estimate equality. the fact of the matter is, japan was not going to stop. we told emperor hirohito, he said go f yourself. they were going after all the pacific and weren't going to stop. what about the fighting in guam? philippines? iwo? anyone? america was the only one's with the ***** to do it. the japanese sent balloon bombs this way too, to civilian cities on the west coast also, just didn't do much. but they tried.

and yes, million men, women, children were executed by the ****. literally hacked heads off babies in front of their mothers, heads kicked around, bodies dragged around, all the while laughing... my family would not accept me bringing home a japanese girl, i have to accept that.
wow, i think you're missing his point. but i'm not going to start to say whats wrong with everyone arguments about war, pearl harbor, and hate in general and in using that to justify what happened.

for world society to move on and better ourselves, we gotta stop going for an eye for an eye. that **** is so childish. besides stuff that happened was with that generation. leave it be, and focus on the future. we're a newer generation, and newer generations should be better. lets stop looking at the past and *****ing about who did what and how people gotta get back at others. lets strive for a positive future and deal with bigger world issues.

Last edited by RU-X; 03-15-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by RU-X
wow, i think you're missing his point. but i'm not going to start to say whats wrong with everyone arguments about war, pearl harbor, and hate in general and in using that to justify what happened.

for world society to move on and better ourselves, we gotta stop going for an eye for an eye. that **** is so childish. besides stuff that happened was with that generation. leave it be, and focus on the future. we're a newer generation, and newer generations should be better. lets stop looking at the past and *****ing about who did what and how people gotta get back at others. lets strive for a positive future and deal with bigger world issues.
sorry, i get his point, just kinda rambling... i know i don't know everything, but it gets tiresome reading that people actually think they know what's going on... human nature is so complex, and society is so complex, we (as humans) literally cannot possibly articulate on these levels imo. there's maybe a handful of people. but i agree, what happened, happened. we are just trying to identify causality so we can prevent.

my response to you is what about 911? bush had almost 90% approval for what he did, less than 2wks after, which was to go for blood. why are/should american's (be) responsible for bigger world issues? nobody else cares imo.

but back to topic, i'm really worried about everything over there and that the mgt is keeping the real danger out of public knowledge...

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 03-15-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:59 PM

sorry, i get his point, just kinda rambling...

my response to you is what about 911? bush had almost 90% approval for what he did, less than 2wks after, which was to go for blood.
what about 911? bush had 90% approval for how he wanted american to respond to the attack because general america can't even start to tell you the difference between an indian and a terrorist or a group of middle eastern from the taliban, or iraq and afghanistan. america was out for blood and wanted to stop other possible attack from those that were attacking us, but bush or WHOEVER in power saw it as an opportunity to use the ignorance of america and aimed american anger at someone other then who attacked us to get revenge, oil, land, forcing american political ideals on a culture or whatever.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:46 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
I think we are ALL missing the ****ing point of this thread!!!!!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 PM

Car Info: 1993.5 toyota supra, 05 AW Sti
Ya seriously how did we go from a tragedy to arguing...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Agreed, although some good points were made by many, none of us should be arguing or getting on any soapboxes in a thread like this.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
sorry, i get his point, just kinda rambling... i know i don't know everything, but it gets tiresome reading that people actually think they know what's going on... human nature is so complex, and society is so complex, we (as humans) literally cannot possibly articulate on these levels imo. there's maybe a handful of people. but i agree, what happened, happened. we are just trying to identify causality so we can prevent.

my response to you is what about 911? bush had almost 90% approval for what he did, less than 2wks after, which was to go for blood. why are/should american's (be) responsible for bigger world issues? nobody else cares imo.
what the **** are you talking about??? I was just making a point about all the "revenge for pearl harbor" BS, that happened after the earthquake. Dresden? 911? Are you ****ing stoned or something? take this to politics, please.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:48 AM

what the **** are you talking about??? I was just making a point about all the "revenge for pearl harbor" BS, that happened after the earthquake. Dresden? 911? Are you ****ing stoned or something? take this to politics, please.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:51 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
okay lets get back on topic here...

things just got worse, everyone was just ordered to evacuate the power plant again because radiation spiked, no further info

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110316/...NicmVha2luZw--
Old 03-16-2011, 01:32 AM

**** man... that sucks so much. i hope they get on top of that situation and there isn't a full melt down. but my gut is telling me the worst is going to happen.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Just heard on the news that csu school students that are in japan studying abroad have to come back to the US, chancellor sent out an email letting students know

Quick Reply: Japan 8.8M quake + mega tsunami