Japan 8.8M quake + mega tsunami

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 05:08 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by Krinkov
lol, when you said "pro basketball player" I was a bit surprised until I saw it was WNBA. Its probably the most press the WNBA will get all year

wow, why not also include anime tentacle rape? I mean, come on.
Yeah, that's why I said "pro basketball player" and nothing about "WNBA".

As for Ishihara, he has a loooooooooooong history of idiocy: racism, xenophobia, sexism, homophobia, anti-Internet, anti-anime, anti-manga, and well-known for his rape fiction novels. I still can't understand how he was elected governor of Tokyo.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:38 PM

Even Muslims wouldn't come up with such stupid reasoning.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:00 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...-of-the-planet

Japan’s earthquake shifted balance of the planet
By Liz Goodwin

Last week's devastating earthquake and tsunami in Japan has actually moved the island closer to the United States and shifted the planet's axis. The quake caused a rift 15 miles below the sea floor that stretched 186 miles long and 93 miles wide, according to the AP. The areas closest to the epicenter of the quake jumped a full 13 feet closer to the United States, geophysicist Ross Stein at the United States Geological Survey told The New York Times.

The world's fifth-largest, 8.9 magnitude quake was caused when the Pacific tectonic plate dove under the North American plate, which shifted Eastern Japan towards North America by about 13 feet (see NASA's before and after photos at right). The quake also shifted the earth's axis by 6.5 inches, shortened the day by 1.6 microseconds, and sank Japan downward by about two feet. As Japan's eastern coastline sunk, the tsunami's waves rolled in.
Why did the quake shorten the day? The earth's mass shifted towards the center, spurring the planet to spin a bit faster. Last year's massive 8.8 magnitude earthquake in Chile also shortened the day, but by an even smaller fraction of a second. The 2004 Sumatra quake knocked a whopping 6.8 micro-seconds off the day.

After the country's 1995 earthquake, Japan placed high-tech sensors around the country to observe even the slightest movements, which is why scientists are able to calculate the quake's impact down to the inch. "This is overwhelmingly the best-recorded great earthquake ever," Lucy Jones, chief scientist for the Multi-Hazards project at the U.S. Geological Survey, told The Los Angeles Times.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Japan after a disaster ------------------------------------------------------------------- America after a disaster

Name:  GZP0G.png
Views: 6
Size:  441.5 KB
Old 03-14-2011, 06:29 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Japan after a disaster ------------------------------------------------------------------- America after a disaster

that's pretty racist imo...

katrina was a complete f*ing mess, no doubt. but i don't agree with how blacks were labeled as looting and whites were labeled (by the media) as "surviving". some people were stealing/looting and others weren't, bottom line. I guarantee that is going on in Japan right now also.

i also don't agree with how any of what happened is turning into a political argument. anyone who would believe the reason he gave as to why this happened is a complete moron and i have a bridge to sell you (real cheap) in S.F. <nododgy>

it's almost going back to human's first developing societies and culture... we needed reasons for everything as to why anything happens. we were bad, no rain, we gave offerings, danced, and rain came. must be causality. must be cause and effect. people who disagree with who's in charge or with the general concensus are outcasted. it seems like people resort to simple human nature when dealing with these types of major catastrophes. we need to stop *****ing and moaning about everyone in this world, we need to help. try offering a real suggestion or potential idea... give constructive criticism a try, i'm def not the best, but this is the general tone i'm getting reading...

Last edited by NorCalPaintball; 03-14-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:45 PM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
You will be hard pressed to find anyone in Japan stealing or looting, it's just not going to happen there honestly.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:03 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
there's word that a 3rd explosion happened at the ***ushima plant and that the protective chamber has been damaged. hoping the protective chamber isn't the same as the containment chamber.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12740843
Old 03-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
that's pretty racist imo...

katrina was a complete f*ing mess, no doubt. but i don't agree with how blacks were labeled as looting and whites were labeled (by the media) as "surviving". some people were stealing/looting and others weren't, bottom line. I guarantee that is going on in Japan right now also.

i also don't agree with how any of what happened is turning into a political argument. anyone who would believe the reason he gave as to why this happened is a complete moron and i have a bridge to sell you (real cheap) in S.F. <nododgy>

it's almost going back to human's first developing societies and culture... we needed reasons for everything as to why anything happens. we were bad, no rain, we gave offerings, danced, and rain came. must be causality. must be cause and effect. people who disagree with who's in charge or with the general concensus are outcasted. it seems like people resort to simple human nature when dealing with these types of major catastrophes. we need to stop *****ing and moaning about everyone in this world, we need to help. try offering a real suggestion or potential idea... give constructive criticism a try, i'm def not the best, but this is the general tone i'm getting reading...

how exactly is this racist? thats an actual picture of something that happened? Theres no such thing as a racist camera. And Im not at all implying that white, mexican, asian americans wouldnt also loot but I couldnt find a multicultural picture of people looting, sorry.

And if you think Japanese would loot after a disaster you have not spent much time in Japan.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:22 PM

Katrina, Whites were busy looting, and cops were too busy shooting to care about the looting, blacks that is.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Note that Krinkov did call out "America" not "blacks". I don't see anything racist about it.

Anyways, my mom is in Japan (Yokohama) at the moment visiting my aunt. I don't have relatives in ***ushima, miyagi or sendai so our family should be out of the major disaster areas. Thank goodness. Prayers to others who have family and/or friends over there.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:29 PM

Just so you all know apparently the owners of the Nuke plant are well known for lying to the public.

"CNN's Drew Griffin says when it comes to safety, operators of Japan's quake-damaged nuclear plants have lied before."

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...pt=T1&iref=BN1
Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Hatchie

Who doesn't want 20 Brees jerseys?
Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by slow04wrx
Just so you all know apparently the owners of the Nuke plant are well known for lying to the public.

"CNN's Drew Griffin says when it comes to safety, operators of Japan's quake-damaged nuclear plants have lied before."

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bes...pt=T1&iref=BN1
here's a good read about the power plant.

http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/1...e-explanation/
Old 03-14-2011, 08:59 PM

Car Info: Nadda
Sea water is pretty corrosive as it is. Terrible idea to use that, and eventually something would pop. They are in dire emergency when it comes to dealing with cooling. I say it blows and I sure as hell hope American's GTFO!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:04 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Originally Posted by Steven@Coach
Who doesn't want 20 Brees jerseys?
especially when your life is in danger

Quick Reply: Japan 8.8M quake + mega tsunami