Japan 8.8M quake + mega tsunami

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 07:22 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
And whoever joked about jdm part shortage, just saw on ktvu that toyota plants are still closed for at least another week, and they interviewed a worker at albany subaru saying no cars and parts coming in...anyone can confirm or deny this?
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
I heard on the news last night that Subaru is cutting manufacturing hours here in the US due to parts shortage.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:40 AM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by Krinkov
what the **** are you talking about??? I was just making a point about all the "revenge for pearl harbor" BS, that happened after the earthquake. Dresden? 911? Are you ****ing stoned or something? take this to politics, please.
i don't agree with you that the nuclear bombs we dropped was only revenge for the attack on pearl. i guess i'm just saying that there's much, much more to it than that. don't blow a gasket here. and no, i'm not stoned, in america, people can have different ideas than you.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:31 AM

Car Info: 07 STI Built/Widebody/E85/Rotated GTX3576 13 Fozz
Good place for seemingly more accurate and calm info about the Nuclear plant:

http://nei.cachefly.net/newsandevent...n-that-region/
Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball
i don't agree with you that the nuclear bombs we dropped was only revenge for the attack on pearl. i guess i'm just saying that there's much, much more to it than that. don't blow a gasket here. and no, i'm not stoned, in america, people can have different ideas than you.
jeez you are thick,
I didnt say it was supposed to be revenge, I was saying why didnt the people that posted the offensive FB posts mention what we did to japan afterwards??

Okay thats it, Im having trouble believing you at this point, you're either a complete troll, or one of the dumbest people Ive ever had post on I-club, which is it??

Old 03-16-2011, 12:09 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Kick him out of the thread so we can continue maybe?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:16 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
Originally Posted by Krinkov
jeez you are thick, I was saying why didnt the people that posted the offensive FB posts mention what we did to japan afterwards??you're either a complete troll, or one of the dumbest people Ive ever had post on I-club, which is it??

sorry for misunderstanding you. both i guess... not sure why you have to resort to bashing and namecalling though. flame on breh, have a good day.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:26 PM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Krinkov was responding to the people saying that the tsunami was revenge for pearl harbor, he was wondering what they were all thinking and how they forgot about a-bomb and other stuff, not comparing it and trying to top someone elses story with some other tragic event or saying it was revenge
Old 03-16-2011, 01:37 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
ai yah..... the whole reactor thing has turned into a total cluster****. I don't want to comment on whether or not the ***ushima PR guys were vague to cover up their own embarrassment or if it was to downplay its potential, but reading some of the quotes from articles had me shaking my head.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:10 PM
i-Club Sympathizer

Car Info: 1969 BMW R75/5 & Work Whip
Originally Posted by slugrx
And whoever joked about jdm part shortage, just saw on ktvu that toyota plants are still closed for at least another week, and they interviewed a worker at albany subaru saying no cars and parts coming in...anyone can confirm or deny this?
Cars and parts will continue to come in. It might take a bit of time for stuff from Japan, but supply will not be cut off. Subaru has plenty of parts stock in the States. I got my orders in today. Not worried about that right now.

Cars... whatever Impreza and Foresters are here or already on the way will be it for a while. No damage was done to any cars at the Subaru plant. Two body shells were lost (unsure as to Forest or Impreza), but that's it. The plant can continue to operate, but they are chosing not to to conserve electricity for other more pressing matters.

Originally Posted by 2cam16
I heard on the news last night that Subaru is cutting manufacturing hours here in the US due to parts shortage.
This is only sort of true. They have cut overtime to conserve supplies they already have. They aren't really cutting hours, just not allowing overtime.

Subaru is still checking with suppliers in Japan and trying to figure out how to proceed.

Edit:
As of March 16, FHI has announced it will continue to keep operations in Japan closed until March 20 pending supplier parts assessment and also to conserve electricity for the country. Contrary to some reports, no completed vehicles were damaged as a result of the disaster and only two body shells suffered any damage. Shipping operations in the Tokyo port were also undamaged. Subaru Indiana Automotive has cut overtime in an attempt to preserve parts supply and is to continue regular production as normal at this time.
Direct from Subaru.

Last edited by Unit 91; 03-16-2011 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:10 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX - Blue
U.S. Calls Radiation ‘Extremely High’ and Urges Deeper Caution in Japan

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/17/wo...pagewanted=all

By DAVID E. SANGER, MATTHEW L. WALD and HIROKO TABUCHI
Published: March 16, 2011

WASHINGTON — The chairman of the United States Nuclear Regulatory Commission gave a significantly bleaker appraisal of the threat posed by Japan’s nuclear crisis than the Japanese government, saying on Wednesday that the damage at one crippled reactor was much more serious than Japanese officials had acknowledged and advising Americans to evacuate a wider area around the plant than the perimeter established by Japan.

The announcement marked a new and ominous chapter in the five-day long effort by Japanese engineers to bring four side-by-side reactors under control after their cooling systems were knocked out by an earthquake and tsunami last Friday. It also suggested a serious split between Washington and Tokyo, after American officials concluded that the Japanese warnings were insufficient, and that, deliberately or not, they had understated the potential threat of what is taking place inside the nuclear facility.

Gregory Jaczko, the chairman of the commission, said in Congressional testimony that the commission believed that all the water in the spent fuel pool at the No. 4 reactor of the ***ushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Station had boiled dry, leaving fuel rods stored there exposed and bleeding radiation. As a result, he said, “We believe that radiation levels are extremely high, which could possibly impact the ability to take corrective measures.”

On Thursday morning a spokesman for Tokyo Electric Power, the Daiichi plant operator, and a spokesman for Japan’s nuclear regulatory agency, denied Mr. Jaczko’s account, saying the situation at reactor No. 4 had not changed and that water remained in the spent fuel storage pool. But both officials said the situation was changing and that the reactor had not been inspected in recent hours.

"We can’t get inside to check, but we’ve been carefully watching the building’s environs, and there has not been any particular problem," said Hajime Motojuku, the spokesman for Tokyo Electric.

Takumi Koyamada, the spokesman at Japan’s nuclear regulator, said that as of 12 hours ago water remained and the temperature reading was 84 degrees Celsius and that no change had been reported since then. "We cannot confirm that there has been a loss in water," he said. "But we face a very unpredictable situation." If the American analysis is accurate and Japanese workers have been unable to keep the spent fuel at that inoperative reactor properly cooled — it needs to remain covered with water at all times — radiation levels could make it difficult not only to fix the problem at reactor No. 4, but to keep workers at the Daiichi complex from servicing any of the other problem reactors at the plant.

Mr. Jaczko (the name is pronounced YAZZ-koe) said radiation levels may make it impossible to continue what he called the “backup backup” cooling functions that have so far helped check the fuel melting at the other reactors. Those efforts consist of using fire hoses to dump water on overheated fuel and then letting the radioactive steam vent into the atmosphere.

Those emergency measures, implemented by a small squad of workers and firemen, are the main steps Japan is taking at Daiichi to forestall a full blown fuel meltdown that would lead to much higher releases of radioactive material.

Mr. Jaczko’s testimony came as the American Embassy in Tokyo, on advice from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, told Americans to evacuate a radius of “approximately 50 miles” from the ***ushima plant.

The advice represents a graver assessment of the risk in the immediate vicinity of Daiichi than the warnings made by the Japanese themselves, who have told everyone within 20 kilometers, about 12 miles, to evacuate, and those between 20 and 30 kilometers to take shelter.

Mr. Jaczko’s testimony, the most extended comments by a senior American official on Japan’s nuclear disaster, described what amounts to an agonizing choice for Japanese authorities: Send a small number of workers into an increasingly radioactive area in a last-ditch effort to cover the spent fuel, and the fuel in other reactors, — with water, or do more to protect the workers but risk letting the pools of water protecting the fuel boil away — and thus risk a broader meltdown.

Mr. Jaczko was asked by Michael Burgess, a Republican of Texas and a member of the House committee where he was testifying, if the radiation levels at the plant boundary could be related to a chest x-ray or a cat scan. Mr. Jaczko said the Nuclear Regulatory Commission believed they were “Levels that would be lethal with a fairly short period of time.’’

Recently, he said, there were “very very high readings.”

Experts say workers at the plant probably could not approach a fuel pool that was dry, because radiation levels would be so high. In a normally operating pool, the water provides not only cooling but also shields workers from gamma radiation. A plan to dump water into the pool, and others like it, from helicopters was suspended because the crews would be flying right into a radioactive plume.

Mr. Jaczko’s analysis suggests that a potentially dangerous chain of events could unfold, as workers trying to cool the adjacent reactors at the facility could also be exposed to intolerable levels of radiation. If they, too, had to withdraw, the problem could worsen, as reactor cores go uncooled and spent fuel pools run dry.

Earlier in the day, Japanese authorities announced a different escalation of the crisis at Daiichi when they said that a second reactor unit at the plant may have suffered damage to its primary containment structure and appeared to be releasing radioactive steam.

The break, at the No. 3 reactor unit, worsened the already perilous conditions at the plant, a day after officials said the containment vessel in the No. 2 reactor had also cracked.

The possibility of high radiation levels above the plant prompted the Japanese military to put off a highly unusual plan to dump water from helicopters — a tactic normally used to combat forest fires — to lower temperatures in a pool containing spent fuel rods that was dangerously overheating at the No. 4 reactor. The operation would have meant flying a helicopter into the steam rising from the plant.

But in one of a series of rapid and at times confusing pronouncements on the crisis, the authorities insisted that damage to the containment vessel at the No. 3 reactor — the main focus of concern earlier on Wednesday — was unlikely to be severe.

Yukio Edano, the chief cabinet secretary, said the possibility that the No. 3 reactor had “suffered severe damage to its containment vessel is low.” Earlier he said only that the vessel might have been damaged; columns of steam were seen rising from it in live television coverage.

The reactor’s operator, Tokyo Electric Power Company, said it had been able to double the number of people battling the crisis at the plant to 100 from 50, but that was before the clouds of radioactive steam began billowing from the plant. On Tuesday, 750 workers were evacuated, leaving a skeleton crew of 50 struggling to reduce temperatures in the damaged facility. An increasing proportion of the people at the plant are soldiers, but the exact number is not known.

The Pentagon said Wednesday that American military forces in Japan were not allowed within 50 miles of the plant and that some flight crews who might take part in relief missions were being given potassium iodide to protect against the effects of radiation. Tokyo Electric said Wednesday that some of those at the plant had taken cover for 45 minutes on site, and left water pumps running at reactors Nos. 1, 2 and 3. There was no suspension of cooling operations, said Kazuo Yamanaka, an official at Tokyo Electric. The vessel that possibly ruptured on Wednesday had been seen as the last fully intact line of defense against large-scale releases of radioactive material from the stricken reactor, but it was not clear how serious the possible breach might be.

The possible rupture, five days after a devastating earthquake and tsunami crippled the plant, followed a series of explosions and other problems there that have resulted in the world’s worst nuclear crisis since the Chernobyl accident in 1986.

The head of the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency, Yukiya Amano, who is Japanese, said he would leave for Japan as soon as possible to assess the situation.

The revised official assessment of the severity of the damage at the No. 3 reactor may have been intended to reduce some concerns about the containment vessel, which encloses the core, but the implications of overheating in the fuel rod pool at No. 4 seemed potentially dire.

There are six reactors at the plant, all of which have pools holding spent fuel rods at the top level of the reactor building. Reactors 4, 5 and 6 were out of service when the earthquake and tsunami struck, and there were concerns about the pools at 5 and 6 as well, and possibly those at the other reactors.

At a hearing in Washington on Wednesday held by two subcommittee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, Energy Secretary Steven Chu said, “We think there is a partial meltdown” at the plant.

“We are trying to monitor it very closely,’’ he said. “We hear conflicting reports about exactly what is happening in the several reactors now at risk. I would not want to speculate about what is happening.”

He said that his agency had sent 39 people to the American Embassy and to United States consulates in Japan “with the skills, expertise and equipment to help assess, survey and monitor areas.” The department has also shipped survey equipment that can measure radiation levels from the air, he said.

The developments were the latest in Japan’s swirling tragedy since the quake and tsunami struck the country with unbridled ferocity last Friday. Emperor Akihito made his first ever televised appearance on Wednesday to tell the nation he was “deeply worried” about the nuclear crisis.

International alarm about the nuclear crisis appeared to be growing, as several nations urged their citizens in Japan to head to safer areas in the south or leave the country. Prior advisories had largely been limited to simply avoiding nonessential travel. Germany urged its citizens to move to areas farther away from the stricken nuclear plant.

Earlier Wednesday morning, Tokyo Electric reported that a fire was burning at the No. 4 reactor building, just hours after officials said flames that erupted Tuesday had been doused.

A government official at Japan’s nuclear regulatory agency soon after said that flames and smoke were no longer visible, but he cautioned that it was unclear if the fire had died out. He also was not clear if it was a new fire or if the fire Tuesday had never gone out.

David E. Sanger and Matthew L. Wald reported from Washington, and Hiroko Tabuchi from Tokyo. Keith Bradsher contributed reporting from Hong Kong.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:13 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
blaznasn, we need your opinion on the reactor stuff.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:30 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Here is the way I'm looking at it....

American media is bull****. Period. They need something to distract us from the fact that we are sinking in to a trillion dollars of additional debt ever 2 months, Oil prices are dropping but our gas prices are rising, the stock market is taking a dump, etc etc etc.

Is it a tragedy what happened there... hell yes it is. I know people directly effected. Is it a tragedy that IS happening. Hell yes. People are so focused on the nuclear issue because the American media is looping fear based bull**** every 30 minutes on CNN. Worried about how it might effect OUR COAST.

Maybe we should remember that there are still over 4000 people unaccounted for and 4000 families wondering if they will ever see their loved ones again. Lets remember that people are still stuck without power, water, food... even in TOKYO!

Radiation levels in Tokyo would have to go up 1000x's what they are right now to even be a start of a concern. And that's in Tokyo.

If it goes is it gonna be bad... Hell yes. The entire world will be effected by it environmentally and financially. Can it be stopped. I sure hope so. The part that pisses me off is that we didn't learn **** for chernobyl. It's not like nuclear energy is some new technology and we don't know what happens when things go wrong. Why have we not been working on ways to stop this from happening. Ways to seal or neutralize the more dangerous radiation so workers can get in there and get things working again.

Why are we not prepared for this... it's happened before and there are hundreds of these plants all over the world. We don't need to drop nukes on each other... we have power plants to do that for us.

As for all this other **** you guys are *****ing about... I don't really think most of it matters. And you really don't want to get me going on what happened during WW2 let alone what has happened in recent year. Most of you will hate me more than you already do and I'd rather save that for the politics forum. (don't think I've ever seen the Japanese military helping us during national disasters... just saying)

So if you guys want to bicker about that ****, I'd be happy to join... just go start a thread for it in the politics forum.

Please keep this one filled with positive thoughts for the families effected, the people missing and the workers trying to fix this reactor and for information directly pertaining to these issues.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:35 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
... Well, at any rate, looks like the snows came in Miyagi prefecture et. al. Seeing the snow blanketing the wreckage is surreal and insanely depressing all at once.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
Here is the way I'm looking at it....

American media is bull****. Period. They need something to distract us from the fact that we are sinking in to a trillion dollars of additional debt ever 2 months, Oil prices are dropping but our gas prices are rising, the stock market is taking a dump, etc etc etc.

Is it a tragedy what happened there... hell yes it is. I know people directly effected. Is it a tragedy that IS happening. Hell yes. People are so focused on the nuclear issue because the American media is looping fear based bull**** every 30 minutes on CNN. Worried about how it might effect OUR COAST.

Maybe we should remember that there are still over 4000 people unaccounted for and 4000 families wondering if they will ever see their loved ones again. Lets remember that people are still stuck without power, water, food... even in TOKYO!

Radiation levels in Tokyo would have to go up 1000x's what they are right now to even be a start of a concern. And that's in Tokyo.

If it goes is it gonna be bad... Hell yes. The entire world will be effected by it environmentally and financially. Can it be stopped. I sure hope so. The part that pisses me off is that we didn't learn **** for chernobyl. It's not like nuclear energy is some new technology and we don't know what happens when things go wrong. Why have we not been working on ways to stop this from happening. Ways to seal or neutralize the more dangerous radiation so workers can get in there and get things working again.

Why are we not prepared for this... it's happened before and there are hundreds of these plants all over the world. We don't need to drop nukes on each other... we have power plants to do that for us.

As for all this other **** you guys are *****ing about... I don't really think most of it matters. And you really don't want to get me going on what happened during WW2 let alone what has happened in recent year. Most of you will hate me more than you already do and I'd rather save that for the politics forum. (don't think I've ever seen the Japanese military helping us during national disasters... just saying)

So if you guys want to bicker about that ****, I'd be happy to join... just go start a thread for it in the politics forum.

Please keep this one filled with positive thoughts for the families effected, the people missing and the workers trying to fix this reactor and for information directly pertaining to these issues.
+1!

Quick Reply: Japan 8.8M quake + mega tsunami