Japan 8.8M quake + mega tsunami

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
... Well, at any rate, looks like the snows came in Miyagi prefecture et. al. Seeing the snow blanketing the wreckage is surreal and insanely depressing all at once.
Yeah, it's pretty crazy.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:46 PM
General Pimpin'

Just to remind you guys of what people are dealing with...

Old 03-16-2011, 05:50 PM

Car Info: '12 FXT Touring
[QUOTE=OneManArmy;3043723](don't think I've ever seen the Japanese military helping us during national disasters... just sayin.)

the Japanese have a military? how much do you know about wwii? (rhetorical question)
Old 03-16-2011, 05:55 PM

[QUOTE=NorCalPaintball;3043739]
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
(don't think I've ever seen the Japanese military helping us during national disasters... just sayin.)

the Japanese have a military? how much do you know about wwii? (rhetorical question)
I think the worst part about the snow there now, is that it's probably very cold at night, and not many people have power or gas to keep warm even. i read that they really literally need our $ and not so much on supplies. this will help cleanup, rebuilding and search/rescue efforts that have been underway.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
(don't think I've ever seen the Japanese military helping us during national disasters... just sayin.)

They do, the Japanese Self-Defense Force, which has been conducting domestically controversial peace-keeping missions abroad in recent years. That's another non-sequitur here, though.

As for Japan helping during Katrina, lest we forget:
http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-e...68313e-02.html
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 PM
General Pimpin'

Well, I've read probably 30 books in regards to WW2.

And don't be a smart ***... everyone knows what the self-defense forces are.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:56 PM

[QUOTE=Choku Dori;3043743]
Originally Posted by NorCalPaintball

They do, the Japanese Self-Defense Force, which has been conducting domestically controversial peace-keeping missions abroad in recent years. That's another non-sequitur here, though.

As for Japan helping during Katrina, lest we forget:
http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-e...68313e-02.html
yes, agreed. but they are not a gov't military that we are all used to, they weren't allowed one post wwii, obviously. they were only allowed a "defense" force.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant

Well, I've read probably 30 books in regards to WW2.

And don't be a smart ***... everyone knows what the self-defense forces are.
Don't be so quick there... If we could replace all the dumb-asses with smart-asses we would be a lot better off.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:58 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX - Blue
From Kyodo News: They just dropped water from a helicopter on Fu-ushima nuclear reactor 3.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
^^^
Yeah, saw the live footage on NHK.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:02 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
Don't be so quick there... If we could replace all the dumb-asses with smart-asses we would be a lot better off.
True... true... LOL!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by Ayapon
From Kyodo News: They just dropped water from a helicopter on Fu-ushima nuclear reactor 3.
Hopefully this works well enough that they can get in there and get some more permanent solutions working.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by JZ oo7
blaznasn, we need your opinion on the reactor stuff.
There is nothing really for me to elaborate on, it summarizes some of my previous posts. The reactors at this point are not the main concern, getting the spent fuel pool filled should be the main priority now.

However, there is no real need to worry about the radiation being widespread. Right now it will only affect the immediate area over there.

In addition, the current estimated radiation levels seem to be conservative, probably done to be safe.

There is a lot of info coming out and some of it conflicting. I am avoiding the media and sticking to my sources at work and through the nrc and nei.

The media tend to make things more confusing with their own analyses.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by blaznasn
no real need to worry about the radiation being widespread. Right now it will only affect the immediate area over there.
would/should wind speed and direction be a concern?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:15 PM

Here is the way I'm looking at it....

American media is bull****. Period. They need something to distract us from the fact that we are sinking in to a trillion dollars of additional debt ever 2 months, Oil prices are dropping but our gas prices are rising, the stock market is taking a dump, etc etc etc.

Is it a tragedy what happened there... hell yes it is. I know people directly effected. Is it a tragedy that IS happening. Hell yes. People are so focused on the nuclear issue because the American media is looping fear based bull**** every 30 minutes on CNN. Worried about how it might effect OUR COAST.

Maybe we should remember that there are still over 4000 people unaccounted for and 4000 families wondering if they will ever see their loved ones again. Lets remember that people are still stuck without power, water, food... even in TOKYO!

Radiation levels in Tokyo would have to go up 1000x's what they are right now to even be a start of a concern. And that's in Tokyo.

If it goes is it gonna be bad... Hell yes. The entire world will be effected by it environmentally and financially. Can it be stopped. I sure hope so. The part that pisses me off is that we didn't learn **** for chernobyl. It's not like nuclear energy is some new technology and we don't know what happens when things go wrong. Why have we not been working on ways to stop this from happening. Ways to seal or neutralize the more dangerous radiation so workers can get in there and get things working again.

Why are we not prepared for this... it's happened before and there are hundreds of these plants all over the world. We don't need to drop nukes on each other... we have power plants to do that for us.

As for all this other **** you guys are *****ing about... I don't really think most of it matters. And you really don't want to get me going on what happened during WW2 let alone what has happened in recent year. Most of you will hate me more than you already do and I'd rather save that for the politics forum. (don't think I've ever seen the Japanese military helping us during national disasters... just saying)

So if you guys want to bicker about that ****, I'd be happy to join... just go start a thread for it in the politics forum.

Please keep this one filled with positive thoughts for the families effected, the people missing and the workers trying to fix this reactor and for information directly pertaining to these issues.
We did learn from Chernobyl, we did not build those designs ever. The Russian design had many flaws, and the Russian govt. did not help the issue after the fact either.

The Japanese plants were fine until the Tsunami hit. Tough they should have had more foresight in the design of this plant about redundant systems. They probably never thought they'd get hit by a Tsunami.

The design of this specific plant and the way the Japanese run their plants has been called into question, and it looks like those questions are being answered now.

A lot of effort goes into designing the plants and procedures and making them safe here in the USA, but we can't control what other countries do.

Quick Reply: Japan 8.8M quake + mega tsunami