Japan 8.8M quake + mega tsunami

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 12:38 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/wo...lume.html?_r=2

The Pentagon was expected to announce that the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan, which is sailing in the Pacific, passed through a radioactive cloud from stricken nuclear reactors in Japan, causing crew members on deck to receive a month’s worth of radiation in about an hour, government officials said Sunday.
Multimedia
Interactive Feature
The Crippled Japanese Nuclear Reactors
Related

Navy Says 17 Americans Were Treated for Contamination (March 14, 2011)
Second Explosion at Reactor as Technicians Try to Contain Damage (March 14, 2011)
Several Plant Workers Are Ill, but Radiation Risk in Japan Is Seen as Low for Now (March 14, 2011)
U.S. Nuclear Industry Faces New Uncertainty (March 14, 2011)
Japan's Nuclear Crisis Stokes Fear in Europe (March 14, 2011)

Related in Opinion

Room For Debate: Japan's Nuclear Crisis: Lessons for the U.S.

The officials added that American helicopters flying missions about 60 miles north of the damaged reactors became coated with particulate radiation that had to be washed off.

There was no indication that any of the military personnel had experienced ill effects from the exposure. (Everyone is exposed to a small amount of natural background radiation.)

But the episodes showed that the prevailing winds were picking up radioactive material from crippled reactors in northeastern Japan. Ever since an earthquake struck Japan on Friday, the authorities worldwide have been laying plans to map where radioactive plumes might blow and determine what, if any, danger they could pose to people. .................................................. .

Funny its down played to the public yet there is another article on cnn about how the military moved its ship because of the radiation helicopter endured. Must be something eh

Last edited by slow04wrx; 03-14-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:13 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
My moms dad was in the japanese army and was on his way to commit suicide for the imperial army in a submarine, but the a-bomb dropped a few days before his deployment date...my dads dad (german but us citizen) was in the air force flying supplies to germany...so WW2 is a big thing for my family, and I had family on both sides, but to try to relate tsunami/eq to ww2 events is just plain infuriating for me and not justifiable at all..
Old 03-14-2011, 09:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/tear...-1226021385018

Man saved after two days, 15km off shore.

Last edited by ryball; 03-14-2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:04 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
damn...... just, damn......
Old 03-14-2011, 10:14 AM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
Name:  peudc.png
Views: 4
Size:  126.7 KB
Old 03-14-2011, 10:16 AM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
How dumb can you naturally be? Because this just moved that peg up a few notches. Streetview..........
Old 03-14-2011, 10:27 AM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by slugrx

this, however, made me furious and i can not believe people are thinking this

http://ompldr.org/vN3Mxdg

Thats just plain sick.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by irrational x
thats someone whose last name should be shown so we can freshrex him
Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by slow04wrx
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/wo...lume.html?_r=2

The Pentagon was expected to announce that the aircraft carrier Ronald Reagan, which is sailing in the Pacific, passed through a radioactive cloud from stricken nuclear reactors in Japan, causing crew members on deck to receive a month’s worth of radiation in about an hour, government officials said Sunday.
Multimedia
Interactive Feature
The Crippled Japanese Nuclear Reactors
Related

Navy Says 17 Americans Were Treated for Contamination (March 14, 2011)
Second Explosion at Reactor as Technicians Try to Contain Damage (March 14, 2011)
Several Plant Workers Are Ill, but Radiation Risk in Japan Is Seen as Low for Now (March 14, 2011)
U.S. Nuclear Industry Faces New Uncertainty (March 14, 2011)
Japan's Nuclear Crisis Stokes Fear in Europe (March 14, 2011)

Related in Opinion

Room For Debate: Japan's Nuclear Crisis: Lessons for the U.S.

The officials added that American helicopters flying missions about 60 miles north of the damaged reactors became coated with particulate radiation that had to be washed off.

There was no indication that any of the military personnel had experienced ill effects from the exposure. (Everyone is exposed to a small amount of natural background radiation.)

But the episodes showed that the prevailing winds were picking up radioactive material from crippled reactors in northeastern Japan. Ever since an earthquake struck Japan on Friday, the authorities worldwide have been laying plans to map where radioactive plumes might blow and determine what, if any, danger they could pose to people. .................................................. .

Funny its down played to the public yet there is another article on cnn about how the military moved its ship because of the radiation helicopter endured. Must be something eh
a months worth of radiation is less than 1 rem, you might feel a little nauseous from that, but it is not as serious at it sounds. Their treatments were probably taking an iodine tablet and doing precautionary treatments.

Primary containment of both exploded buildings are still in tact, the explosions might have been purposefully induced to allow low pressure coolant systems to operate. This is consistent with using firepumps to inject boron seawater which are low pressure pumps.

Other causes is as they were venting the exhaust, it could have leaked an the air ignited in the building. These buildings are kept inert with nitrogen so it is very possible.

Primary objective is to keep the reactor vessel intact as it is leak tight and at all costs is this to be kept in tact.

I heard reports of someone receiving 10 rem. USA guidelines allow 5 rem/year I believe. This person probably did something herioc for the greater good to receive that kind of exposure all at once.

On a side not, I also said earlier that the Japanese sometimes slide on safety issues. The plant functioned properly after the earthquake. The plant went into shutdown and emergency backup systems started. Then the tsunami hit and knocked a lot of systems out. I doubt a tsunami was planned in their design basis, I am surprised they did not have a sea wall though.

I can't imagine going through what the plant operators are going through right now, it is testing the mental and physical capabilities.

Last edited by blaznasn; 03-14-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:54 AM

Another side note, the other 3 units at the site were shutdown for normal maintenance, they caught a break here. In terms of power production, this is the largest in the world I believe.

Last edited by blaznasn; 03-14-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
As an aside, the idiocy continues, this time with a pro basketball player.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6215398

And if it's any measure of comfort, there are (big) domestic idiots in Japan as well. "The outspoken governor of Tokyo, Shintaro Ishihara, told reporters Monday that the disaster was "punishment from heaven" because Japanese have become greedy." **** Ishihara, right-wing bastard dickwad.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_...pan_earthquake
Old 03-14-2011, 02:13 PM

on a similar note, did all those people forget the US dropped TWO atomic bombs on tokyo civilian cities and killed way more people than pearl harbor, did way more damage, and poisoned so many more with radiation...
Old 03-14-2011, 02:22 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
support tsunami victims and make fun of UCLA's finest:

http://www.chingchongtingtong.com/
Old 03-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
As an aside, the idiocy continues, this time with a pro basketball player.
http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/n...ory?id=6215398
lol, when you said "pro basketball player" I was a bit surprised until I saw it was WNBA. Its probably the most press the WNBA will get all year

And if it's any measure of comfort, there are (big) domestic idiots in Japan as well. "The outspoken governor of Tokyo, Shintaro Ishihara, told reporters Monday that the disaster was "punishment from heaven" because Japanese have become greedy." **** Ishihara, right-wing bastard dickwad.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_...pan_earthquake
wow, why not also include anime tentacle rape? I mean, come on.

Last edited by Krinkov; 03-14-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:07 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
***ushima plant explosion #3?!

Ruh Roh....

Quick Reply: Japan 8.8M quake + mega tsunami