Hey fellow subbies :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:19 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by oshrizak
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, I think I am going to rethink how I want my car done now Next mods instead of up and down pipe.. I may instead steer towards suspension
+1. do you want to go fast in a straight line? or be able to hold your ground speeding around corners and having uber fun?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
All very true. If he can't return it without a loss, then yeah, use it. 30 whp.... probably not from a stock wrx though, right?

All suspension wears out, regardless of coilover or shocks/springs. Actually, I believe that a quality shock/spring combo will last longer than 90% of the coilovers out there. There was a huge thread with a lot of debate about which way to go. IMHO, get Koni Yellow (sport) shocks. They have a lifetime warranty on it, and if the shocks blow, they'll replace them for free. They have an advance replacement, where they'll ship you new ones and you return old ones for a refundable 50% retail cost deposit. Longevity? One of my Konis just blew, about 9 years of wear, 100k miles on it.
What would your suggestion be for shocks/springs? I read about Koni Yellow before and they look good. But like I said before, I am not interested in dropping my car and I would like to really enjoy how my car handles ya know? I dont want to be stopped by how low my car goes, I want the ability I have now and pretty much do anything.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:22 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
i see no problem with going stage 2 first instead of suspension/brakes as long as it's going to stay stage 2.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by 02RS25
+1. do you want to go fast in a straight line? or be able to hold your ground speeding around corners and having uber fun?
Cornering is a lot more fun :P I have owned a fast car before till the engine blew. Going fast is only a temporary fix for adrenalin.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
i see no problem with going stage 2 first instead of suspension/brakes as long as it's going to stay stage 2.
Eventually, and im talking about long into the future.. I will rebuild the engine and most likely sell the parts or something. I just want something I can enjoy now
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
What would your suggestion be for shocks/springs? I read about Koni Yellow before and they look good. But like I said before, I am not interested in dropping my car and I would like to really enjoy how my car handles ya know? I dont want to be stopped by how low my car goes, I want the ability I have now and pretty much do anything.
Konis are a shock, which do not require lowering. Great shocks are one investment you'll love on your car. I think you'll love how your car handles with some good shocks and springs.

As for springs, I'll allow other people to make well informed recommendations, since I don't have a lot of experience with just springs. I personally run Ground Controls, which have Eibach springs in them, and I've been happy with them. I have heard great things about Swift springs, though.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Konis are a shock, which do not require lowering. Great shocks are one investment you'll love on your car. I think you'll love how your car handles with some good shocks and springs.

As for springs, I'll allow other people to make well informed recommendations, since I don't have a lot of experience with just springs. I personally run Ground Controls, which have Eibach springs in them, and I've been happy with them. I have heard great things about Swift springs, though.
Thats the big debate im trying to figure out coilovers or springs.. I never really had the chance to try just coilovers so im a bit confused as to what to chose.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:34 PM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
If you are confused, stick with mcpherson struts and springs.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:36 PM

Well I mean is it worth the cost for coil overs if I never do track
Old 04-02-2013, 03:40 PM

Coil over set up will require more adjustment, and maintenance. More adjustment factors, high alignment costs, and also will not have the performance life of a spring and strut assembly. It is for the sports oriented.

If you can't find a reason to go with coilovers, or have not even out driven a spring and strut set up with your driving skills (like many many people), then the smart thing to do is to stick with what you have. Just get some better shocks and springs for your liking, at a fraction of the cost of coil overs.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:45 PM

Thats the big debate im trying to figure out coilovers or springs.. I never really had the chance to try just coilovers so im a bit confused as to what to chose.
Someone chime in if I miss something.

Coilover Pros:

- Ride height adjustment
- Camber adjustment
- Supposedly matched spring rates with shock valving. Questionable on lower quality coilovers
- The "cool" factor of owning coilovers

Coilover Cons:

- HELLA expensive if you want quality ones
- Increased cost to maintain (corner balancing, higher alignment costs, etc)
- Cheaper ones tend to wear out quickly
- Rebuilds cost more $ and usually need to be done in house, and will require 1 week+ turn around time
- Cheaper ones tend to have worse ride quality

Springs Pros:

- Will ride/handle much better for the price
- Konis have a lifetime warranty, with their advance replacement plan, only down time is the time it takes to change shocks
- Cheaper to maintain
- Can upgrade to "coilover" status if desired later with coil sleeves and tophats

Springs Cons:

- Requires research to match quality springs with shocks
- Fixed ride height
- Fixed camber (outside of camber bolts)
- No "cool" factor

Basically it comes down to if you want ride height and camber adjustability
Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 PM

Car Info: 07 UGM FXT
I never had to pay extra for alignment with coil overs.. Not sure where that came from.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:47 PM

He said he wanted to maintain stock ride height, or at least not lower much. So springs sounds perfect for that. Especially when you don't have to pay for a lowering function that you most likely will not use.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by DSav408
I never had to pay extra for alignment with coil overs.. Not sure where that came from.
It came from alignment shops.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by DSav408
Don't know where you go for alignments, but most places charge additional if you have camber plates on the car.

Oh, and to the OP, here's the thread where a whole bunch of info and bickering was posted about suspension between shock/spring vs coilovers.

https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...dealer-248060/

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
He said he wanted to maintain stock ride height, or at least not lower much. So springs sounds perfect for that. Especially when you don't have to pay for a lowering function that you most likely will not use.

I agree.

Quick Reply: Hey fellow subbies :)