Hey fellow subbies :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:39 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by oshrizak
Yeah, I have been looking for about a week now and people are saying Motul, Amsoil, Royal Purple. Does it really make the difference if I go completely synthetic? I dont do any track but I do want to be sure my engine is treated nicely. I do tend to have spirited driving every now and then but its not super often.
Honestly doesn't really matter that much as long as you monitor it. Most folks run in to issues when they don't watch it. These cars can eat oil even if the motor is totally healthy.

lots of opinions on what to use. I've used tons of stuff. I was impressed with Motul and I'm not usually a fan of their products. Talk to Mann and they'll tell you to go with Torco and from what I've read it's damn good stuff.

I'm not on the Amsoil train myself. I stay away from Mobil 1 if at all possible. Castrol makes the best stuff on a budget in my opinion.

I use Royal Purple right now. Believe it or not you can get a Royal Purple Oil change at Walmart for $54. My tools got jacked out of my garage so until I get settled in at the new house and get my tools built back up I gotta do what I gotta do and I'm over an hour from any of my favorite shops.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:40 PM

Car Info: Subaru STi Sedan '13
Well I already have the SPT exhaust which was factory installed, I will look into up and down pipes soon. Is there a difference between stock and spt other than sound? If so.. I will be trading my SPT in for a nice exhaust. Any suggestions?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Thanks for all the response by the way everyone! This community seems awesome
Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Yeah, I have been looking for about a week now and people are saying Motul, Amsoil, Royal Purple. Does it really make the difference if I go completely synthetic? I dont do any track but I do want to be sure my engine is treated nicely. I do tend to have spirited driving every now and then but its not super often.
Not sure what you mean, the Subaru oil is fully synthetic. I buy it by the case and that's 2 oil changes and a spare or two, but my car burns very little oil (over 120K) and I do get on it often. As OMA said, as long as you keep an eye on it and change it regularly, it won't matter a lot.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:45 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Not sure why this isn't stickied anymore: https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...-here*-229928/

The info is a little dated, but it has a list of most of the shops that are nearby.

Don't need an aftermarket intake on the car, it'll net you very little and require your car to be tuned for it. I think the newer WRX up pipes are catless, I'm not sure how much of a gain you'll get with an aftermarket one.

Rotella T6 is fully synthetic in 5w-40. You can also use German Castrol 0w-30 as well, if you'd rather shop as AutoZone.

LOTS of info on all the Subaru forums. Research research research before buying. Install your power mods at the same time, because you'll basically need a retune after most modifications.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:46 PM

@ 04GG, I was reading and people are saying the oil they use are not completely synthetic, instead its actually a blend. They market it as "synthetic" according to a few other boards.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 PM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Well that would be the case for Mobil 1 in the US too. The oil I buy from Subaru says Fully Synthetic (or at least I thought it did...) right on the bottle and makes no mention of Shell. If Subaru uses it and puts it in your car, you can bet it is going to work. I've been using it for about 2 years now with OEM filters.

Noticed the case just says synthetic:

Name:  2012-10-27_09-13-06_771.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  82.7 KB

Last edited by 04GG; 04-02-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
Welcome to the forum.

For maintenance work, besides what's been mentioned, I'd also look at going RBMS Auto Care in Hayward. It's run by GST's old mechanic, Mert, and he does great work.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM

I did go with a Cobb Intake and box.. so im now scared I might want to return it and get something else! Apparently off their dyno it gives you some HP gain.. Does buying a bigger intercooler sound like a smarter mod?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:48 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
EQ Tuning in Fairfield
Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 PM
General Pimpin'

Pretty sure the SPT is just nicer tips. Sounds better and looks better. But the piping is still the same size as stock.

Going with a nice aftermarket... larger free flowing exhaust may be worth it. But they're not cheap. I'm a fan of the Milltek full exhaust system but it's EXPENSIVE!!!

But you can go Catted or cattless.

Depends on your goals man. If you're just looking at going mild then it'll be fine. You can change out exhausts (turbo back) later on without too much concern.

I myself kind of go the more mild motor route and advise spending money on wheels and suspension upgrades. You can only use so much power on the street.

As for the community. It's mostly good. Tons of information. Lots of fun. I've made some of the best friends I have through the community.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:49 PM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
My next question is, what type of engine oil is everyone running I heard t6 is good but what if I want fully synthetic?? Trying to see what I want to use for my cars next oil change because I've been using the dealerships chevron 5w30 syn
isn't the t6 fully synth?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:51 PM

I was as well thinking suspension but if I was to do suspension, I think it would be smart to go all out instead of part by part if I am going to be doing struts, coil overs, etc.. right?
Old 04-02-2013, 02:52 PM
General Pimpin'

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Not sure why this isn't stickied anymore: https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-ar...-here*-229928/

The info is a little dated, but it has a list of most of the shops that are nearby.

Don't need an aftermarket intake on the car, it'll net you very little and require your car to be tuned for it. I think the newer WRX up pipes are catless, I'm not sure how much of a gain you'll get with an aftermarket one.

Rotella T6 is fully synthetic in 5w-40. You can also use German Castrol 0w-30 as well, if you'd rather shop as AutoZone.

LOTS of info on all the Subaru forums. Research research research before buying. Install your power mods at the same time, because you'll basically need a retune after most modifications.

True... but he already bought it. So as long as it's a good one, I'd use it. And the COBB out of the box tunes should be fine for it.

As for no gains... depends. I've seriously seen gains of nearly 30whp just from the intake. Realistically you're talking a lot less most of the time but a properly designed intake with the right partner parts and tune can be beneficial. But that's a debate for another time. LOL!

And yes... I believe they have been catless for a few years now.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by bkblitzed
isn't the t6 fully synth?
This is what is confusing me, I have read that some of the oils are not fully synthetic.. So I want to be sure I am making the right purchase ya know?

Quick Reply: Hey fellow subbies :)