Teh Politics Forum Rumors and lies and Teh Iraqi Info Minister and much much more...

religion argument

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 04:14 PM
I don't need more cowbell dammit!

Car Info: E82
Originally Posted by Overbear
Ahem *clears throat*

And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them

I would pretty much sum that up as one huge Grade A, prime example of hate speech, intolerance, and persecution.
But there are many instances of contradictory statements to that directly from the mouth of god in the bible. As I said, it is how you interpret it.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by Yin
kidding around. i'm just commentating. i actually think these are two good debates. well one is good. the other one is just entertaining - its like asking how many times can you guys punch each other in the face and keep telling each other you dont feel a thing.
word. agreed.

I know I don't feel anything yet. haaa.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by medicSTi
I already addressed this, Mormonism does not believe in the Trinity.
Yes, but they read, and believe in, the new testament.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
On a serious note.

I am agnostic. I am accepting of all religions, and I think it is ignorant to lean in any direction. There is a lot of positive information to be learned from the different religions. Also, it is better to try to understand why someone thinks what they do, then to criticize them for what they think.

Of course, some religions have good or bad overall reputations, but as a whole, there are always things to learn.

This is why I am a cultural anthropology major. I love learning about other cultures and their thoughts.

Last edited by Turbo Rob; 02-23-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:21 PM

If you are going to be persistent in suggesting that Jesus is not the Christ, I am going to have to be persistent in asking you to please quote scripture.
And I will continue to state that the Messiah brings peace on Earth.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by Jin
can i add this to all the "getting into heaven" thing.

i consider myself to be a good person, i know whats right and wrong, etc etc.

so later when i die without beliving in god, i goto hell?
if god wishes to send me to hell for not beliving in him, yet i live a good life helping others and doing things that are right, then that's a god that doesnt deserve my attention. this is one insurance i have on why i'm an athiest. i believe what i want because its what makes more sense to me and if god wants to punish me for doing what i believe, so be it.

so if he does send all athiests to hell no matter how they lived, that just says "believe in god or you will be damned to hell". obey the higher being, follow his rules, etc...doesnt this sound more like monarchy? as in a way to govern a society?

i'm only talking about one perspective of religion, i'm not basing all religion on this.
What if on your death bed, God makes himself known to you and you believe in Christ? What if something happens in your life... say in the next 60-80% of your unlived life that changes your beliefs? It's not over 'til it's over.

But it is written that the only way to the Father is through Christ. Meaning those who do not believe Christ is their Savior, the Son of God in the Flesh, in the end will be subject to Hell.

I just want to share this:

[B]Jude 1 (New International Version)

Jude 1

1Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James,
To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by[a] Jesus Christ:

2Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance.

The sin and doom of Godless men

3Dear friends, although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share, I felt I had to write and urge you to contend for the faith that was once for all entrusted to the saints. 4For certain men whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are godless men, who change the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord.
5Though you already know all this, I want to remind you that the Lord[c] delivered his people out of Egypt, but later destroyed those who did not believe. 6And the angels who did not keep their positions of authority but abandoned their own home—these he has kept in darkness, bound with everlasting chains for judgment on the great Day. 7In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire.

8In the very same way, these dreamers pollute their own bodies, reject authority and slander celestial beings. 9But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not dare to bring a slanderous accusation against him, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!" 10Yet these men speak abusively against whatever they do not understand; and what things they do understand by instinct, like unreasoning animals—these are the very things that destroy them.

11Woe to them! They have taken the way of Cain; they have rushed for profit into Balaam's error; they have been destroyed in Korah's rebellion.

12These men are blemishes at your love feasts, eating with you without the slightest qualm—shepherds who feed only themselves. They are clouds without rain, blown along by the wind; autumn trees, without fruit and uprooted—twice dead. 13They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever.

14Enoch, the seventh from Adam, prophesied about these men: "See, the Lord is coming with thousands upon thousands of his holy ones 15to judge everyone, and to convict all the ungodly of all the ungodly acts they have done in the ungodly way, and of all the harsh words ungodly sinners have spoken against him." 16These men are grumblers and faultfinders; they follow their own evil desires; they boast about themselves and flatter others for their own advantage.

A call to persevere

17But, dear friends, remember what the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ foretold. 18They said to you, "In the last times there will be scoffers who will follow their own ungodly desires." 19These are the men who divide you, who follow mere natural instincts and do not have the Spirit.
20But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. 21Keep yourselves in God's love as you wait for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ to bring you to eternal life.

22Be merciful to those who doubt; 23snatch others from the fire and save them; to others show mercy, mixed with fear—hating even the clothing stained by corrupted flesh.

Doxology

24To him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy— 25to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:23 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by irrational x
way to post a non answer that barely makes sense.
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
How does it not make sense?

Youre blaming God for all the misfortunes people face when you should be blaming Satan.

Do you want color by numbers?
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
For the sake of argument, you have to put yourself in others shoes...i know that is hard for you to comprehend...but try to stay with me here...or you can just keep beating around the bush.

So now that you believe there is a God and satan, what makes you think that satan isn't causing all this harm?

Say satan gave you all your health problems, and lets say God solved them.

That should answer your question right there.

...in case you forgot...

or you can call me stupid and say i don't make sense...which is always a good card to use in any situation.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
^ lol at kyle. just like Turbo Rob said, "it is better to try to understand why someone thinks what they do."

if you knew kyle, you'd understand that half, i'm sorry, 80%, of the stuff that comes out of his mouth is just meant to be facetious and un-serious. you cant see that when typing but its there.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:32 PM
VIP Member

who is to say they didnt lie? do you know them to be men of high moral fiber?
I would be willing to say, moral fiber... yeah. As well as guided by the Holy Spirit with the authority of God Himself.

The Gospel was written within the lifetime of those who lived and witnessed it, not just those who wrote it, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, etc. but the people Jesus spoke to, who witnessed what was written about.

The Bible is the most authenticated book on the planet from it's time and well after. There is more evidence for Christianity than any other religion... original texts in Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew... The same message throughout the entire book.

Books of the New Testament

30 A.D. : Jesus is Crucified, Dies and is Resurrected

35 A.D. : Gospel of Matthew

40 A.D.

40 to 41 A.D. : Book of James
42 A.D. : Gospel of Mark
42 A.D. : Gospel of John (main body of Gospel)
(the prologue/epilogue to Gospel not completed until after 95 A.D.)

50 A.D.

50 A.D. : Book of 1Thessalonians
51 A.D. : Book of 2Thessalonians
53 A.D. (Spring) : Book of Galatians
56 A.D. (Late Winter) : Book of 1Corinthians
57 A.D. (Late Summer) : Book of 2Corinthians
57 A.D. (Winter) : Book of Romans
59 A.D. : Gospel of Luke

60 A.D.

61 to 63 A.D. : Book of Ephesians
Book of Philippians
Book of Colossians
Book of Philemon
Book of Hebrews

63 A.D. : Book of Acts - Read Commentary on Book
Book of 1Timothy - Read Commentary on Book
Book of Titus - Read Commentary on Book

63 to 64 A.D. : Books of 1John, 2John and 3John

64 to 65 A.D. : Book of 1Peter

65 to 66 A.D. : Book of 2Peter

66 to 67 A.D . : Book of Jude

67 A.D. : Book of 2Timothy

90 A.D. to 100 A.D.
95 A.D. : Book of Revelation
Old 02-23-2009, 04:35 PM
VIP Member

certainly. aside from J3, where in there does it not tacitly condone slavery?

or maybe you can answer my previous quandary since no one else here seems righteous enough to do so.
It does not say, "In the name of God, go get some slaves because it's righteous!!" That's a gross distortion of scripture.

It does not condone slavery, it says to love your master as God loves you and to forgive him for his sins as God has forgiven you.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:37 PM

I would be willing to say, moral fiber... yeah. As well as guided by the Holy Spirit with the authority of God Himself.

The Gospel was written within the lifetime of those who lived and witnessed it, not just those who wrote it, Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, etc. but the people Jesus spoke to, who witnessed what was written about.

The Bible is the most authenticated book on the planet from it's time and well after. There is more evidence for Christianity than any other religion... original texts in Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew... The same message throughout the entire book.
Im pretty sure that there is more evidence of Judaism than there is of Christianity. As you should know Judaism is significantly older than Christiantiy, not to mention Jesus himself was a Jew.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
we could start another thread about this, but the way i see it, there isn't much difference between the corporate world of today, and the multi-religious world of a few thousand years ago. huge institutions that had to "make the world work". the people at the top of the religious groups and corporations are one and the same to me. the church preaches faith and heaven to gain wealth and quell people's insecurities (the natural world/hell), while the corporations preach mission statements and return on investment to gain wealth and quell people's insecurities (mortgage). the goals of our collective consciousness have simply changed. instead of fearing hell, now we fear living on the streets.

religion has become a lifestyle choice now, rather than how certain societies were once defined. people are still absolutely defined by their religions, so secular people do not understand. again this goes into the whole knowing why someone thinks the way they do. but its a two way street. both have to meet in the middle. understand why someone does not believe in god as well.

Last edited by Yin; 02-23-2009 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
plays well with others

Car Info: your mother crazy
1.) god is pleased by people having faith in him
2.) people have faith / are lead to him through suffering
3.) god is omnipotent and has the power to stop the suffering but does not.

this mean god is deriving pleasure by causing suffering. that is the text book definition of psychopath.

the god you worship is a psychopath.
still no responce?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
What if on your death bed, God makes himself known to you and you believe in Christ? What if something happens in your life... say in the next 60-80% of your unlived life that changes your beliefs? It's not over 'til it's over.

But it is written that the only way to the Father is through Christ. Meaning those who do not believe Christ is their Savior, the Son of God in the Flesh, in the end will be subject to Hell.
of course, i may encouter one of those enlightened moments later in my life and i maybe changed but for now, that's not the case. and for someone to tell me or quote me the passages in the bible about how non-believers goto hell, that really doesnt effect me in any way. am i suppose to get scared and start believing? only way would be for god himself to talk to me or some miracle happens by god's will.

but the thing is, if some miracle does happen to me and for someone to say it was god's work, that's just too convinient to say, isnt it? if something bad happens, its the work of satan and if something good happens, its the work of god...thats just too insanely convinient for someone to say.

its a never ending paradox and thats why i refuse to believe in words that are less than 2000 years old, modified by men, yet there has been countless religions in the human civilization. why should christianity the correct one? because its the most popular? the human civilization is not done, we're a mear moment in the timeframe of the existance of earth or universe, i really dont think we're anything special, just a spec of organism that has the great power of imagination and thinking.

i'm not refusing to believe in god, i believe there is a possibility that god exists but that's something that cant be proven until i'm dead or something like armageddon happens, where ground splits and demons start slaying humans, not when a asteroid hits earth or anything of natural disaster. for now, i cant say that god exists or not but i do firmly believe that whatever it is said on bible or koran or whaver, is not believable for me.
Old 02-23-2009, 04:43 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by Yin
^ lol at kyle. just like Turbo Rob said, "it is better to try to understand why someone thinks what they do."

if you knew kyle, you'd understand that half, i'm sorry, 80%, of the stuff that comes out of his mouth is just meant to be facetious and un-serious. you cant see that when typing but its there.
There's nothing to want to understand in his one liner of "what kind of god would allow bad things to happen"

what kind of satan would allow good things to happen? NO KIND!

what kind of god would allow bad things to happen? NO KIND!

but he refuses to accept the satan variable because it will eliminate his joy of ctrl v of his unanswered question and he wont be able to release his load all over his avatar

Quick Reply: religion argument