Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

My Ultimate 98 coupe-JDM STI ver.8 CF lightweight

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
looks sick
Old 05-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Haha. Good stuff. Anyways... here is a fun proposal. I challenge you to a time-attack. Don't know how it'll work out, but maybe in a few years after we do our time at the track, maybe we can do something. Some friendly competition. Hehe.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:01 PM

Car Info: 98RS coupe, Ver. 8 STI pwr'd
Deal!

Now that my Baby is a little bigger, I'd like to get a job at a local shop again, so maybe I can compete in events a little further away from home. Right now my 'Track support' consists of everything I can squeeze into the trunk & around the rollcage. currently it's a 10'X10' canopy tent, an old seabag full of tools, a chair, and a couple coolers full of ice & water.
I'm also working on getting a 'Stig' replica outfit put together by next year to go with the cool suit.
I'd like to get another set of wheels for some track tires, and start piecing together things for the widebody/5X114 hubs, wider (GD) track/wheels/tires. Time and money, as the saying goes......
Old 05-27-2008, 02:24 PM

Found another cool picture from the May 24th event.

I'm in the right row, 2nd from the back, in front of my buddies turbo'd RS.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Nice pic. I had a track day planned for June 20th at THill, but I won't be able to go. Brother's graduation ceremony that day. I guess things happen. Man... how I want to get out there and burn some rubber.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by John2.5RS
Deal!

Now that my Baby is a little bigger, I'd like to get a job at a local shop again, so maybe I can compete in events a little further away from home. Right now my 'Track support' consists of everything I can squeeze into the trunk & around the rollcage. currently it's a 10'X10' canopy tent, an old seabag full of tools, a chair, and a couple coolers full of ice & water.
I'm also working on getting a 'Stig' replica outfit put together by next year to go with the cool suit.
I'd like to get another set of wheels for some track tires, and start piecing together things for the widebody/5X114 hubs, wider (GD) track/wheels/tires. Time and money, as the saying goes......
lol I want a Stig outfit!!!
Old 06-02-2008, 10:40 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by medicSTi
lol I want a Stig outfit!!!
Save you money, I'm going to piece it together over the next year, so I don't feel the +$2k it's gonna cost for everything. Nothing like being safe and stylish at the same time! I also want to get a cool suit so I can run during the Summer too. It looks like I'm going to be taking my car to Cali to get a CF roof made in the near future.

Finally competed in my first time attack, The Dezod West Desert Showdown at Firebird West.

Last week the Drifters were using the track, so there was a **** ton of crappy drift tire rubber all over the track, which made for slick surfaces, Both Vipers that were there went off track, as well as about a dozen other people going off track or spinning out. Even Tage (one of the best local drivers) lost it and went off track, but I think it was a motor problem that did him in.

Here's the track layout

We ran the full 11 turn course, it was a little slippery from the all the drift rubber left from the week before, but it was a blast!
Here's what I stuff into my Subi Coupe for track days (with the 2 trophies I won)

Had two practice sessions in the morning. After the second session during the download session, I had someone come up to me and say, "Hey man, you have a puddle under your car!" And I figured it was from the intercooler sprayer, so I told him that and he was like, "No, it's in the BACK!" So I parked it at my tent and jacked it up, only to find a fuel return line had split partially near the hose clamp, leaking fuel slowly. Not feeling like changing a fuel line on my back on +130* asphalt, I was thinking of calling it a day, seeing as I only had an hour to fix the problem before the time attack started. But I have a friend that owns a shop one freeway exit away, So I had a fellow subi owner I met at the track follow me to his shop, where I could get it on a lift to properly assess the situation. Fortunately, It was a simple fix, just had to run to checkers for the correct size of fuel line, had it back on the ground and back on the road in 15 min.! Made it back to the Track just in time to catch the last half of the time attack drivers meeting. Luckily, I was in the back of the pack, #52, and they were only running four at a time, so I had some time to double-check for the leak, and get my intercooler all iced up for my run. Had a good run, won 1st in my class, AWD Wild. :banana: but I also won the 'Best wipeout' trophy, for going off track at the last corner 100 ft from the start/finish line, and in the process taking out a lap timer! :RockOn - not mine:
Someone got it on video, he said he post it online ASAP. I'll get a link up when I find it.

Name:  006-1.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  40.4 KB

Everything was going great, but I was lower on fuel than I should have been due to flying back and forth to the Shop to fix the fuel leak. So as I was coming into the last few corners, the best I can figure, is that the fuel all sloshed away from the fuel pump, and as I was powersliding out of turn 11 towards the finish line, the engine sputtered and the tires bit, causing my line to shift, and I didn't want to hit the dirt sideways, and it's not that low, So I bit the bullet and straighted out the wheels in time to go straight in to the dirt, and inertia caused the rear end to step out, causing the car the rotate to the right about 90 degrees, filling my car with dirt and taking out the Tripod for a lap timer! It also kicked up a 50 ft plume of dirt and dust that blanketed about 50 people watching at the start finish line.
It had Stalled, so after I got the fuel lines primed again, I started it right up and did one more lap!

Other that looking like I just finished a dirt rally race, No damage, just dirty!
I have a lot of cleaning to do, but not a bad way to end my spring racing season.

I'm still waiting for the video, but I found some pictures from the event, including my award-winning, powersliding off track endeavor.

Name:  DezodTimeAttackmay31st08racers.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  51.3 KB

Name:  DezodTimeAttackmay31st08.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  36.3 KB

Name:  DezodTimeAttackmay31st08tage.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  44.8 KB
/\ Tage's record setting FF civic

Name:  DezodTimeAttackmay31st08me.jpg
Size:  73.3 KB
/\ Me waiting to got out on my timed laps

The award-winning money shot
Name:  dezodwipeout.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  34.2 KB
/\ Me off track five feet past the start/finish line, The lap timer is under the car.

Safe at home
Name:  009-2.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  59.9 KB

Name:  011-2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  012-2.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  48.5 KB

Name:  013-2.jpg
Size:  49.9 KB

Name:  014-3.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  40.7 KB

Name:  015-3.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  39.6 KB

Planning on getting the AVCS working again over the summer, get a retune for some real boost and add a map for c-16, maybe some stickier tires, then get back on track some time after Labor day. I'm thinking I can get most of what I want to do to the Subi done before SEMA 09, So hopefully by then I'll have a sponsor or two and have a shop toss my car in their booth for the big show.

Last edited by John2.5RS; 06-02-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:04 AM

Here's some more shots from some of the track days, not the best res, but I like the angles.

Name:  007-3.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  005-2.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  38.2 KB

Name:  008-3.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  002-1.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  004-1.jpg
Size:  38.1 KB

Name:  003-1.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  31.6 KB
Old 07-02-2008, 04:55 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
freaking awsome!!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX
I just read this thread from start to finish. I love your car, and I think its really cool what your doing with it. Gonna check back periodically for sure to see how its going!!!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:46 PM
VIP Member

dude its looking great. post up the link to the video when you get a chance.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:20 PM

Car Info: 04 EJ207 6mt WRX, 08 Spec B
Dude I love this car......Great job bro..
Old 07-06-2008, 11:05 AM

Car Info: MY99 2.5RS 2 door
wow man. Car looks/is fantastic. Where did you get those mirrors and can you see anything out of them?
Old 07-07-2008, 03:42 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
good job throwing dirt for the other guys so you could get a better looking time haha
Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 PM

Car Info: 96 GC8 Subaru Impreza Wrx
This is a Good build, after seeing this i am inspired to build a RS, how much did you purchase the Rs shell for? And are you still running stock boost on the 2.5motor? Also feeling the Track Idea, i would do it also

Quick Reply: My Ultimate 98 coupe-JDM STI ver.8 CF lightweight