History of the Redwood Rendezvous

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
A few statistics;
25 different teams participated over the 10 years,
eastbaysubaru (Brian) did the most, participating in no less than 8 of them.
bushido was next with 7.
Then Andy C, Dr Tofu, and RallyWagon all did 3 each.
EQ Tuning, Gancherov, gotwrx, Redils16 and wrx006 each did it twice.
People that only did it once were Alex08, blacksheep, BluBaru, Daredevil, Gregg, hp, Huck, iBluevirus, Jeff S, knock, queeg9K, RALIWGN, Roo, vibhu, and wrexr.

About 2000 miles were covered, (actually quite a bit more, but only on a couple of them did I include the return trip miles).

Here is a chart that covers the whole 10 years;
Name:  Redwoodrendezvousstats.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  61.8 KB

And a map showing all of the roads that were used over the years;
Name:  Redwoodrendezvousroutes.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  72.3 KB
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
why is this the last?
Old 10-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Because frankly, I'm burned out- each one took 3 or 4 weekends of my life to find roads, tie them together, measure the distances to each checkpoint then hope I can get 5 people to come out and run it.

With this on top of the North Nevada Rally I have two events which consume nearly half of the free time I have in the summer, and while it's fun, there are lots of other fun things I'd like to be doing too.

If either of them were getting the sort of turnout that I think both deserve, they might both be going on again next year, but they don't, so I'm done.

...besides- there aren't any roads left between here and Eureka that I haven't already used...
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
Pete, fantastic breakdown of the Redwood. I can't express enough my gratitude for all of the extra work you have put in putting on these amazing events over the past decade. Those of us that have been lucky enough to attend will surely remember them for the rest of our lives.

As I said before, Andy and I will work something up for next year. It won't come close to the awesomeness of these events, I'm sure, but it'll be a ton of fun in it's own right.

-Brian
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by psoper
If either of them were getting the sort of turnout that I think both deserve, they might both be going on again next year, but they don't, so I'm done.

...besides- there aren't any roads left between here and Eureka that I haven't already used...
That said, I want to organize something similar around the bay area. Meet up somewhere central, drive all day, and end up car-camping somewhere scenic. If you have suggestions or wanna help, send me a PM.

BTW the TuneIn Radio app on my iPhone picks up Sonoma KYAA AM station, and I've been listening all day. I bet there are other ways to get at it over the net as well.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 BRP RS Sedan / '04 PSM FXT (RIP)
"KYAA!!!!"

-Brian
Old 10-10-2012, 11:18 AM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Originally Posted by psoper
Because frankly, I'm burned out- each one took 3 or 4 weekends of my life to find roads, tie them together, measure the distances to each checkpoint then hope I can get 5 people to come out and run it.

With this on top of the North Nevada Rally I have two events which consume nearly half of the free time I have in the summer, and while it's fun, there are lots of other fun things I'd like to be doing too.

What about working with someone else and using routes you've already used? I think it would be just as fun for folks and not as much work for you.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM

But then it wouldn't be the same thing, and I have tried getting co-organizers, but having the technology and background needed to put on such an event doesn't leave very many people really qualified to do much more than tag along for the route scouting drives.

I expect there will be other rallies and other camping trips, it's just that this one has kind of run its course, and now it can live on as legend...
Old 10-10-2012, 08:25 PM

One thing I won't do is limit it to this club or probably even ask anyone on i-club to come along, this forum has gotten to where there doesn't seem to be any serious drivers on it, and the ads and slow loading are so aggravating I probably won't be here much anymore, if you want to stay in touch with me and local rallying, I'd suggest facebook...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272897530517/