Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

help with ej25 rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon, 06 Forester XT, 99 Legacy Sedan
Nice!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:22 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Originally Posted by Harry Maneuvers
Nice!
thanks bud. and all by myself feel even better. lol. im just stuck at wrist pins. i knew id prob have a prob removing them with out some form of special tool. im going to research wht that tool is and see if i cant make one of my own. really, i need a long rod with a hook or two at the end to go through pin and catch the back side so i can pull it out. i tried with some picks but not strong enough.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 PM

No need for a special tool.

Get a really long screwdriver or 1/4 extension.

Go through the wrist pin hole on the OPPOSITE side of the block from the wrist pin that is lined up.

You will be able to look through the hole on the far side and put your screwdriver/extension through to the far wrist pin (the one that is lined up with the hole on the other side) and tap it OUT of the block.

This wasnt the video I was looking for to show you but it was the first one that came up haha.

Last edited by Harry Maneuvers; 04-22-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:44 PM

No need for a special tool.

Get a really long screwdriver or 1/4 extension.

Go through the wrist pin hole on the OPPOSITE side of the block from the wrist pin that is lined up.

You will be able to look through the hole on the far side and put your screwdriver/extension through to the far wrist pin (the one that is lined up with the hole on the other side) and tap it OUT of the block.

This wasnt the video I was looking for to show you but it was the first one that came up haha.

Punching out wrist ping - YouTube
sweet. ya i saw that method and IMO, i wanna try and refrain from doing that. i think i may find a screwdrier i never use, bend the tip and apply heat to strengthen it. and pull instead of push.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Went down that road man... good luck. You are going to need more than just your body weight... you will need like a slide hammer (also tried that but the HF one doesnt fit through the wrist pin center hole). Or some other way of striking that bent screwdriver to get them out.

I tried it both with a battery tie down and a screwdriver... I wasnt able to get anything that was strong enough at that thin of clearances.

What is your concern with doing the push method? Once you get the pin half way out you just take it out with your hands. Or if you are concerned tape a sock or glove over the hole to catch the wrist pin in if it does come out.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:43 PM

Went down that road man... good luck. You are going to need more than just your body weight... you will need like a slide hammer (also tried that but the HF one doesnt fit through the wrist pin center hole). Or some other way of striking that bent screwdriver to get them out.

I tried it both with a battery tie down and a screwdriver... I wasnt able to get anything that was strong enough at that thin of clearances.

What is your concern with doing the push method? Once you get the pin half way out you just take it out with your hands. Or if you are concerned tape a sock or glove over the hole to catch the wrist pin in if it does come out.
i cant seem to find the [icture i saw on google earlier. it was a modified screwdriver. the handle was cut/broken off, the tip was bent at a 90 degree angle and the end of the rod had a ball attatched to it to work on a slide hammer. Ive worked with CF bicycle frames and been a mechanic not only in the car world for many years now. Its just from experience and "common knowledge" i feel more comfortable going through less parts (especially ones that i cant see). Ive pushed out many parts that are similar to my dilema. ive always had more success on the pulling side than sheer force. i just feel more comfortable that way. i like to take my time doing things right the first time. instead of bending parts. (example: removing a cog/pulley/ etc thats stuck on a shaft: hitting only at one point on the pulley vs. spacing out the hits around the pulley a little at a time. ) just useless babble i know. but ya, just dont feel to comfortable going by the "push method" as opposed to "pull". thanks gen preference. i do appreciate the suggestion tho!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:10 AM

good morning i club!

so today i plan to remove pistons and split block. Heads are in my trunk ready for machine shop. Now, i was planning on going a bit......stiffer route.

Upgrade:
engine mounts
tranny mounts
pitch stop
steering rack
control arm both F/R bushings (with ALK off set and bump steer kit)
+ shift kit?

now with the scoob my project car, im looking for more of that stiff "racecar" feel.

my question is:

what have people run and how did they like them?

also, are mounts compatible between 02-07 RS/WRX/STI? i dont see why they wouldnt be?

TIA!
Old 04-23-2013, 11:52 AM

so....was browsing through threads and answered my question regarding the mounts. seems like they are all compatible. suggestions on brand/supplier?

another question: is it recommended to go to thicker HGs if i resurface? itd be t he first resurface on these heads and dont plan on removing much if any material off heads
Old 04-23-2013, 03:24 PM

Sorry bout the constant bump guys. just adding to it as i see fit

Shopping spree!

Engine parts:
Oil Pump
Water Pump
Master gasket set
Timing belt
idlers/tensioner
thermostat
main/rod bearings
main seals
head valve job
rad cap
throwout/pilot bearings
new hoses throughout

non engine upgrades:
Grouppe-n Engine/tranny/pitchstop
Bump Steer whiteline
Steering rack bushings whiteline
prothane master set (control arms and SBs)
ALK whiteline
Positive shift kit whiteline

another 150k+ of fun,reliable, spirited driving? i think YES!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 PM

You are going to want to add the updated oil separator plate as I am pretty sure yours is the old style that is prone to leaking.

You also might want to have all 4 injectors cleaned and overhauled. It is normally like $15-$20 per injector but is well worth it. I cant speak highly enough for Doctor Injector in Rancho Cordova... they do great work.

I would also replace the oil cooler o-ring while you are at it... dont think that will come with the master gasket set but maybe it does.

Piston rings... I recommend Hastings over NPR.

Take a look at your headbolts. Some of mine had stretched threads. Take all of them and try to lay one on top of another with the head bolts pointing opposite directions and the threads of the two bolts are lined up.

I noticed that on a few bolts that the threads would start off perfectly matched but as you would look further down the bolt you would notice a slightly larger and larger gap. So that the threads at the end of the bolt were not perfectly fitting together like the threads at the opposite end.

APR are overkill considering your power goals. Fel-pro bolts are junk and more expensive than OEM bolts so I ended up just getting all new OEM head bolts.

Oh yea, and you are going to want to replace all of the engine block bolt washers that are inside of the waterjacket. They have a special rubber inside diameter and need to be replaced each time.

There are also two bolts at the end of each head cam cap that also have these same washers but smaller.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 PM

You are going to want to add the updated oil separator plate as I am pretty sure yours is the old style that is prone to leaking.

You also might want to have all 4 injectors cleaned and overhauled. It is normally like $15-$20 per injector but is well worth it. I cant speak highly enough for Doctor Injector in Rancho Cordova... they do great work.

I would also replace the oil cooler o-ring while you are at it... dont think that will come with the master gasket set but maybe it does.

Piston rings... I recommend Hastings over NPR.

Take a look at your headbolts. Some of mine had stretched threads. Take all of them and try to lay one on top of another with the head bolts pointing opposite directions and the threads of the two bolts are lined up.

I noticed that on a few bolts that the threads would start off perfectly matched but as you would look further down the bolt you would notice a slightly larger and larger gap. So that the threads at the end of the bolt were not perfectly fitting together like the threads at the opposite end.

APR are overkill considering your power goals. Fel-pro bolts are junk and more expensive than OEM bolts so I ended up just getting all new OEM head bolts.

Oh yea, and you are going to want to replace all of the engine block bolt washers that are inside of the waterjacket. They have a special rubber inside diameter and need to be replaced each time.

There are also two bolts at the end of each head cam cap that also have these same washers but smaller.
great info! thanks bro! ill replace seperator plate and clean injectors. oil cooler....IIRC those are turbo apps? ill be ordering all my parts for SubaruGenuineParts.com. my pistons rings will come from here as well. water jacket case bolt washers, thanks! ill deff pick those up too. i know what u mean, the old folk have me do most of their home repairs and when i remove toilet tank, those washers are all goooey. LOL thanks again for the input man!
Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 PM

Yes you have an oil cooler. It should be what your oil filter spins up and seals against.

Like this:

It is the round piece on the bottom, passenger side of the block. It has one of the coolant hoses disconnected and you can see the orange o-ring at the top where it sits against the block (the filter post is not tightened down on the picture).

Name:  temporary_zps7442fc3c.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  65.9 KB

FWIW, if you are looking for the absolute best deal in online OEM parts... Gillman Subaru in TX has a 10% price BEAT guarantee.

Name:  Scan_Pic0004.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  137.8 KB

Logan Johns in their parts department has been a HUGE help and I have nothing but great things to say about him and Gillman.

Use coupon code: PLUS5 or NASIOC for an additional 5% off your entire shipped cost.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:27 PM

Yes you have an oil cooler. It should be what your oil filter spins up and seals against.

Like this:

It is the round piece on the bottom, passenger side of the block. It has one of the coolant hoses disconnected and you can see the orange o-ring at the top where it sits against the block (the filter post is not tightened down on the picture).

FWIW, if you are looking for the absolute best deal in online OEM parts... Gillman Subaru in TX has a 10% price BEAT guarantee.

Logan Johns in their parts department has been a HUGE help and I have nothing but great things to say about him and Gillman.

Use coupon code: PLUS5 or NASIOC for an additional 5% off your entire shipped cost.
DUDE, you are a god. LOL. about the oil cooler....on my block, its my oil filter and block. thats it. no lines going anywhere. ill take a pic. i think there is a pic i posted on this thread i took of my block teardown. i know what an oil cooler is, but id think id see it when changing oil. or id see the square finned cooling plate (where the oil flows through and the cooler is usually mounted up front and low)....LMK bout this. IDK if its generation specific or what. thanks!

Last edited by 02RS25; 04-24-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 PM

Well now I am confused. I checked the FSM for a 2001 Legacy which is the EJ251 like I have but it doesnt show an oil cooler anywhere. I am wondering if my engine is maybe a little newer than I thought!
Old 04-25-2013, 01:46 PM

Well now I am confused. I checked the FSM for a 2001 Legacy which is the EJ251 like I have but it doesnt show an oil cooler anywhere. I am wondering if my engine is maybe a little newer than I thought!
HA! how does the backfire from you troll taste?? huh??? hahahaha

all good. i kinda figured the oil cooler was specific to either: year/aspiration/tranny (MT vs AT) i say tranny becaue there are certain parts the relate with eachother. such as AT sharing cooling from rad for both engine and tranny.

if anyone knows a definite answer to this, please chime in. i know i dont have an oil cooler so it "dont really matter" but in terms of education sake. what cars/models use the oil cooler?

Quick Reply: help with ej25 rebuild?