Engine Management Cobb AccessPort, EcuTek, TEC, Motec, Link, and others. The ins and outs of high-performance engine tuning.

Advice Needed on Exhaust Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:16 PM

Advice Needed on Exhaust Upgrade

Hello all. I'm considering upgrading the exhaust on my 02 wrx and I was wondering what the consensus was on the best upgrade to maximize the performance for the money. I've already upgraded my uppipe but otherwise, the whole car is stock. I know the vast majority of people here have done some really cool mods to their subys. Any thoughts on what you'd recommend to upgrade first (after the uppipe). I'm hoping to keep the $$$ around 2k or under. Thanks for the advice and see you out there..
Old 01-30-2006, 08:09 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX 5sp(stock right now)
I'm pretty new too but I had 2K I'd go for a full exahust(turbo xs) and the cobb accessport(I like the idea of being able to flash back to stock and the fact that the upgrade maps are built in). just my .02
Old 01-31-2006, 07:34 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by puckboy
Hello all. I'm considering upgrading the exhaust on my 02 wrx and I was wondering what the consensus was on the best upgrade to maximize the performance for the money. I've already upgraded my uppipe but otherwise, the whole car is stock. I know the vast majority of people here have done some really cool mods to their subys. Any thoughts on what you'd recommend to upgrade first (after the uppipe). I'm hoping to keep the $$$ around 2k or under. Thanks for the advice and see you out there..
Engine management is your best bet. A system like Cobb Accessport or ECUtek reflash will not only squeeze the extra horsepower out of your mods, they will make your car run safer as well.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
+1 for the COBB Accessport...

I have a personal favorite route to modding a WRX which has come at the expense of lots of researching.. So Ill go ahead and lay it out, take from it what you wish, its just a proven, solid route that will provide safe gains while maintaining practicality and reliability... and guess what? its all for about 2 grand! Not the ONLY method of modding, but a great route that will provide you with a mid 13s car while maintaining near-stock reliability with smoother/more powerful driveability...

BELOW PRICES ARE ESTIMATES... you may find better deals or worse beware!

Product / Price / Possible Brands

Silicone Intercooler Hose Kit / 150.00 / (Samco, Perrin, etc...)
Intake Elbow Delete / 40.00 / (GPMoto, etc...)
Lightened Crank Pulley (Not Underdriven) / 130.00 / (COBB, Perrin, etc...)
COBB AccessPort / 600.00
Bellmouth/Divorced Downpipe / 350.00 / (Helix, Stromung, COBB, etc...)
Catback Exhaust System / 600.00 / (HKS, Invidia, APS, COBB, Borla, etc...)

Total / 1870.00 / (This leaves you some gas money! )

Some things to consider:

1- Some manufacturers offer downpipes with high flow catalytic converters (about 100 bucks more)... This is a good option for those who prefer a more "environmentally friendly" pipe.. Helix's actually passes the California Smog Test, however, no downpipe will pass the visual inspection (if they REALLLLLY pay attention)...

2- If you want a quiet and inexpensive setup... Coupling a Helix DP with a Borla Hush catback is a great choice... you will need a 3-inch flat flange adaptor though, which most vendors sell as an option with the Borla Hush... still gives that low boxer rumble but not noisy or loud by any means.. Turbo noises are also more audible due to downpipe...

Best Of Luck Choosing Your Path!
Old 02-05-2006, 08:23 AM

thanks for the advice

thanks for this advice. i'm not sure why, but i never got the email telling me somebody replied, so i only saw your advice when i did another search. i ended up going with a cobb accessport and a cobb catless downpipe. Ferdie at SouthCoast subaru gave me a lot of frank advice about what he'd do and it sounds like everybody is pretty much in agreement.

see you guys out there!
Old 02-11-2006, 02:57 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
Sounds like you went the right direction! Thumbs Up! Enjoy