Stereo & Security Sound systems, alarms, and radar detectors.

Upgrade Speaker Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 07:53 AM

I threw out my so-called "premium sound upgrade" the day I got the car...for $490 + $15 s/h I picked up a Pioneer Premier DEH-P940MP on eBay.
For another $130 (total) I got an MB Quart 6 1/2" component set (tweeters & crossovers)
And another $87 (total) I got a pair of MB Quart 4" for the rear...the whole thing cost a little more than $500 but is well worth it.
Old 02-03-2003, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 02wrx,04wagon,05 STI cgm
factory deck.

This what I did, I replaced my front speakers with polk audio GXR "6 1/2 $59 for th pair for the rear EX-340 $79.99 and a alpine 4 channel 150 watts max 80 per channel amp for $199.00. Plus I did the install myself save my more money. Don't need more weight added.
Old 02-04-2003, 02:54 PM

Car Info: 02wrx,04wagon,05 STI cgm
Thumbs up factory deck.

The sound is good ! Of course I could of went all out, but my main objective is the motor. As for curcuit city they do good work they installed an alarm in my wife jeep and my brother in-law had a stereo installed where he lives seattle. later Keoni
Old 02-05-2003, 09:36 AM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza 2.5 RS Sedan, BRP
Anyone want to sell their double-DIN '02-'03 headunit? I'm looking to get an '03RS but would like to have the cassette there to connect a portable MP3 player to.

FWIW, I'm really big into home audio and upgrading speakers will by far give you the biggest improvement. Not sure how true that is for cars but it's the rule for home HiFi.

I plan on sticking with the stock unit for the reason mentioned above (MP3 player connectivity), ease of use (aftermarket HU look cheesy/flashy and can't be used during winter when you're wearing gloves, and aftermarket units only attract theives.

I plan on upgrading the speakers and adding an amp. I'm not obsessed with the sound of my car system, just want something decent for the occasional road trip. It's impossible to get high QUALITY sound in a car anyhow.

Just my $.02

Bill
Old 02-08-2003, 04:47 AM

Car Info: 2003 Impreza 2.5 RS Sedan, BRP
Green,

The acoustics of cars don't lend themselves to true "HiFi" sound quality. The other major factor is the primary placement of the listener. We (in the States anyway) sit on the left-hand side of the car yet the speakers are placed symetrically around a center point.

This results in almost zero soundstaging. While I've seen products out there that aim to solve the soundstaging problem for the driver, they use DSP to do it. As any audiophile (I hate that word) would know, the shorter the signal path the better. Running a signal through DSP is the furthest thing from purity.

Other problems are things like road noise and speakers themselves. The amount of road noise that enters the cabin of a car is unaccetable in a listening environment.

It's hard enough in home audio to find speakers that work well in your room, with your equipment. That problem is exacerbated in car audio because we're only dealing with the drivers (woofer, midrage, tweeter, sub) themselves without any specific enclosure like you mention. The drivers in home audio speakers were designed and implemented to work well in the "box" they're housed in with the crossover they're mated with. Car audio speakers don't have the luxury of a specific "box" so it's basically a crap shoot. Speaker model A might sound fantastic in someone's VW Jetta front door slot, but that same speaker might sound like absolute CRAP in our Subaru's front door slot.

All of that being said, it's possible to get decent playback from a car system. Just remember the goals of car audio and home audio are just different.

The primary goal of the home audio enthusiast is to get as close to how the engineer/producer/artist intended that record to sound. We want to feel like we're right there with the artist.

The primary goal of car audio seems to be how loud and low can you go. Which is fine if that's what you're after. Just don't kill yourself trying to achieve the same goal as home audio enthusiasts as the law of deminishing returns comes into play quickly and that absolute goal is impossible to attain.

Man that was a lot for 7:30 on a Saturday morning!

Cheers!
Bill
Old 02-10-2003, 10:45 AM

Thumbs down

Barely two weeks after install and my MB Quarts blew out!! Just from the HU alone (50 watts x 4) and they're dead...Couldn't believe it...Problem solved with a hefty price--I had to swallow my pride at blowing $200 on speakers and having them suck. So I forked out another $700 and had a Diamond 6" S600 component set and a Coustic amp put in...these speakers rock!!!

Quick Reply: Upgrade Speaker Advice Needed