Car Lounge General automotive talk not specific to Subaru.

Nissan Skylines

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 08:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX
^^Just another example of how dominant the car is racing.

Nurburgring and Spa were the other examples of wins outside of Japan.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:40 PM

Car Info: 04 STi blk cloaked team blew member
Talking

Originally Posted by clamdip
Of course only in Japan... it's a fricken Japanese Manufactured car. You don't see any british cars dominating in JGTC right... cause they have their own domesticated series, called BTCC and or LM. I never seen an AUDI win a JGTC race and I never seen a Skyline win a British/Euro LM race. Do you know why? Cause theres no such thing as a Skyline entering into a Euro sanctioned race series. Of course the skyline only wins in Japan cause it dominates JGTC. duh.

And WRC has no specifications on MAKE/MODEL in their series unlike GT500, JGTC BTCC, etc. You can drive a Puegot, AUDI, EVO, WRX, etc no problems.

Besides having your opinion about the Skyline, is it right to say the corvette is overrated because its ugly, and only dominates in the US? NO.

Your opinion is your opinion. The skyline is a 15 year bloodline of evolution for nissan motor co. It never made it to US shores like the Supra, mitsubishi 3000GT, and the NSX. What a shame. Yeah it's ugly and doesn't appeal (maybe) to the "racer crowd" looks wise, but its well built and has unlimited potential.

You might "know" more and appreciate more about where the car started and what it can be if you studied more about it rather than watch Best motoring videos(you probably cant even understand japanese) and Fast N Furious, just to get into the hype a few years ago, when this cars been out in the JDM for 15 friken years already. You probably just started to buy Japan videos and books, and here you are already baggin on one of the greatest JDM supercars in history....goes to show how much you THINK you understand.

So your point on it being ugly... okay yeah it might need a little help in the looks dept. But saying the car is "overrated"? NOW you have NO idea what you're talking about.
You are alot late, Best motoring has subtitles and some are even dub in english, guess you don't own any. BTW if you knew anything about racing you would no that the Skyline had the option to run with the big boys @ 24hrs of Leman , 24hrs of Spa , the 24hrs @ Nurburgring or the Bathhurst enduro, and lastly US Trans Am I have never seen it win at any of these events although, I have an unconfirmed info that it did Spa in 1991. Now I could say that in 1991 finding a fast car was like finding $1000 bill on the ground but I won't. I pushed Case1 for results of the Skylines winning heritage other than Japan and he finally stopped talking and found it. Good Job. However you my friend need to re read the whole Thread and say no to drugs.

Last edited by mw1029h; 10-08-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by 1fastGC
You have never driven one so I think you should be the one stop talking and making a fool out of yourself. Start making friends and connections and you will get that chance and see what its all about.

Say no to drugs? <-- what are you poster child of DARE program? lol
Not to go in your direction but I have driven one several years ago, when I was going to buy one then I did my homework and so it goes. Say no to drugs thanks

Did you think U.S would let a foreign car manufacturer(s) take over its own market on its own soil back in the 80s and 90s? There's alot of politics involved.

How do you know this or are you assuming?

Last edited by mw1029h; 10-08-2005 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by case1
^^Just another example of how dominant the car is racing.

Nurburgring and Spa were the other examples of wins outside of Japan.
those where the only ones, You are right on Spa but Nurburgring isn't confirmed, good research though.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Say no to drugs.....mmmm'kay?
Old 10-09-2005, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by mw1029h
I ask you has that car "skyline" won in any place other than Japan. Subies & Evos have won all over the world. All I'm saying is that car is very over rated.
ok now you should read what you write because i think you're a little "on drugs" yourself. ummmmm, did subies and evo's ever enter a le mans series? nope. or any of the races that you "claim" that the skyline didn't enter? ummmm HELLO, subies and evos are "rally cars" so that means that they have something called WRC (World Rally Circuit) which is specifically for "rally cars". so i guess GT40's are overrated cars too huh, because they didn't win any JGTC races and rally events? um by the way, if you knew anything about racing, then you would know that WRC is a series of rally races. and yes, the skyline didn't enter that either, you wanna put that on the board as something that the skyline "didn't do" and call it an overrated car? geez man, you really need to listen to yourself when you type.

ok, you point to me a race that subies and evo's have won other than the WRC? yes, cusco has their GT300 subaru, but ummmm, that's only in japan. what you're basing your opinion on is very misinformed and at times you're trying to compare apples to oranges. there are specific races made for specific cars. the skyline is a Japan Domestic Car and has dominated the Japan circuit.

what i'm picking at is the fact that you would rather have a STi or an evolution over a skyline just because the STi's and evolutions win world rally events and ONLY rally events? as opposed to a skyline which wins Japan events and ONLY Japan events because it's a japan domestic car? geez man, you really gotta get off them drugs.

what you fail to realize is the sheer engineering and perfection that went into the research development of the skyline, which is what makes it a japan super car, yes, JAPAN super car, not american, not european, JAPANESE supercar. it's like me saying that the corvette Z06 is an overrated car because it didn't win in japan. now, this is what you're saying, does this sound right? think before you speak my friend.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
Let's be fair, the RWD Cusco Impreza isn't anything like the cars we drive on a daily basis. You can't buy this thing anywhere, the power is three times what we get stock, the entire frame on chassis is revised and paper thin, and a RWD option on an Impreza...that would be nice.

In the end, does a car model have to win races to be considered a world class sports car? a BMW 7-series is considered a world class luxury touring car, it can propel you to well over 140+ mph while you're drinking your latte out of a heated cup holder while sitting in your perforated heated leather seats trying to figure out how to turn on the radio. It's classy and fast though the only track time these things see is on the Nurburgring or perhaps the German autobahn.

Say yes to hemp.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:48 AM

Wink

"Clamdip" The Ford GT 40 won 24hrs of Lemans twice, let me help you with the following: WRC world rallycar championship. ? did the Subaru enter: yes. ? did it ever win a world rally title: Yes EVO same same. ? has the Subaru won titles on other continents : Yes. The Subaru has WORLD CLASS racing heritage, it has won racing series in other places besides its native soil, are you with us. Additionally, If you were able to understand the entire Thread you would understand the Skyline was only being compared in stock form vs the STi and EVO. In that form the Skyline gets rolled up. ? why buy a used Skyline here for all that MONEY when you can get it over there for peanuts and you could buy so many cars that would out perform it : because you can make 1000hp. Stupid, then it breaks and you have no parts to fix it as seen on" TV street tuner challenge". Now maybe that's probably why there aren't that many running around and you can always find one for sale. Finally why covet and call the Skyline a supercar when its only has racing heritage on its own soil? I was wrong it did win at least one world class event maybe 2, thanks CASE1 for the research. Don't make claims stating the Skyline was banned from international competition that was "Audi" Skyline was banned in Japan only, then it was given its own series there. ? Has any other car manufactor won in Japan. Don't know I'll have to research it but I think so. I think that's it did I miss anything? BTW there are more than 1 1000hp Sti in this town and they win drag racing events. Say No to Drugs

Last edited by mw1029h; 10-09-2005 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:55 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by thebankman
Let's be fair, the RWD Cusco Impreza isn't anything like the cars we drive on a daily basis. You can't buy this thing anywhere, the power is three times what we get stock, the entire frame on chassis is revised and paper thin, and a RWD option on an Impreza...that would be nice.

In the end, does a car model have to win races to be considered a world class sports car? a BMW 7-series is considered a world class luxury touring car, it can propel you to well over 140+ mph while you're drinking your latte out of a heated cup holder while sitting in your perforated heated leather seats trying to figure out how to turn on the radio. It's classy and fast though the only track time these things see is on the Nurburgring or perhaps the German autobahn.

Say yes to hemp.
Yes, if you want to consider a sports car to be world class it should win some races against the competiton Corvettes, Audi S4 / R8, Aston DB 9, GT40, Porsche 911, etc..at least win its class. Say no to drugs.

Last edited by mw1029h; 10-09-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:18 PM

"Clamdip" The Ford GT 40 won 24hrs of Lemans twice, let me help you with the following: WRC world rallycar championship. ? did the Subaru enter: yes. ? did it ever win a world rally title: Yes EVO same same. ? has the Subaru won titles on other continents : Yes. The Subaru has WORLD CLASS racing heritage, it has won racing series in other places besides its native soil, are you with us. Additionally, If you were able to understand the entire Thread you would understand the Skyline was only being compared in stock form vs the STi and EVO. In that form the Skyline gets rolled up. ? why buy a used Skyline here for all that MONEY when you can get it over there for peanuts and you could buy so many cars that would out perform it : because you can make 1000hp. Stupid, then it breaks and you have no parts to fix it as seen on" TV street tuner challenge". Now maybe that's probably why there aren't that many running around and you can always find one for sale. Finally why covet and call the Skyline a supercar when its only has racing heritage on its own soil? I was wrong it did win at least one world class event maybe 2, thanks CASE1 for the research. Don't make claims stating the Skyline was banned from international competition that was "Audi" Skyline was banned in Japan only, then it was given its own series there. ? Has any other car manufactor won in Japan. Don't know I'll have to research it but I think so. I think that's it did I miss anything? BTW there are more than 1 1000hp Sti in this town and they win drag racing events. Say No to Drugs
let me just start with 1000hp STi's???!!! ok, let's stick to the daily driving machined. i don't think that there are any 1000hp STi's and evolutions that are considered daily drivers. i do see however 1000hp supras and skylines though and still are daily drivers. so, i'll leave it at that.

ok, you're talking about the subaru and mitsubishi racing in a WORLD CLASS event and ONLY a WORLD CLASS event, which is the WRC. if rally racing were only in Japan, i can assure you that you would only hear about it winning in japan also. ??

so you're saying that skyline in stock form loses to STi's and Evolutions? keep in mind that the skyline GTR is like the WRX impreza, the skyline nismo Z-tune (which was sold as a modified car from nismo), is like the STi's and evolutions. it's a purely modified base model production car. Nismo takes the regular production model GTR and modifies it, then sells it on the market. just like the STi's. it's a performance model WRX impreza modified and tuned by STi. get the picture?

so you seem to be rating your cars according to their race history and not about what the car is made of. you do know that the skyline has a race bred engine, right? you do know that the ATTESA transmission is one of the most finely engineered transmissions, right? now tell me this, you think subaru's DCCD is the same as the skylines ATTESA transmission? nope. do you think the EJ207 is as strong of a motor as the RB26? nope. i tell you what, for a sub 40-45K car, you get a hell of a lot more than you think. so how can this be overrated? on a side note, the supra was sold in the US for about 50k or so, and even that was a crazy price to pay. but many people didn't know the potential of the supra and what you were buying at 50K, so they looked at that and said "hell no". but now, i think given the knowledge of the car now, i'm sure there are many that said, should've, would've, could've. let me just say that i was smart enough to get one and i'm damn glad i did.

oh yeah and stay away from crack, ok.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: subaru
Red face skylines don't compete outside of japan for a reason:

Yes, if you want to consider a sports car to be world class it should win some races against the competiton Corvettes, Audi S4 / R8, Aston DB 9, GT40, Porsche 911, etc..at least win its class. Say no to drugs.
That's like saying a Ferrarri isn't a world class sports car because it has never competed in Nascar.

Can you at least admit that Skylines didn't compete in races outside of Japan because Nissan had nothing to gain from spending obscene amounts of money for which they would not see returns from car sales?

Say yes to marijuana law reform, say no to crack.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:36 PM

That's like saying a Ferrarri isn't a world class sports car because it has never competed in Nascar.

Can you at least admit that Skylines didn't compete in races outside of Japan because Nissan had nothing to gain from spending obscene amounts of money for which they would not see returns from car sales?

now this is what makes sense. do you think these companies put their car on the racing circuit for the sole purpose of trying to make history? no! it's because they want and need to sell a product, which is why you have companies sponsor these cars and put their logo's on them and what not. it all comes down to advertising and not just trying to make history.

mw1029h - you're saying that a car is overrated just because it didn't do this or do that, but little do you know, it did accomplish much of what you're "trying" to argue. just basing your arguement on the fact that it won in japan and not anywhere else is clearly not justifiable and makes no sense. the bottom line is that it's one of japan's supercars on the japan domestic market, and yes, it has won many races and is known to be the king of asian imports in terms of racing, it's engineering feats, and it's popularity. now if that doesn't say a lot for sales and makes the car overrated, then something is wrong there don't you think?

here, something you can read:

http://www.answers.com/topic/nissan-skyline-gt-r

apparently the skyline raced in australia (yes, australia isn't in japan may i add) and apparently dominated there. as well as in the UK. so it still is overrated? geez man, do some actual research and stop getting things off that option magazine crud. you are trying to draw a line that doesn't say much for your arguement. so i found something for you that you can read and understand what this whole "overrated" car is about. then formulate your opinion, ok.

oh yeah, say no to crack, and yes to marijuana because marijuana is worldwide.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:25 PM

Exclamation

Nascrap isn't world class its run here in the U.S. They don't let foreign cars in trucks yes cars no. What is world class. Lemans series both of them Spa Nurburgring Bathhurst Speed Vision touring and GT Grand Am cup. Why because they have cars that participate from all over the world. So your statement doesn't make sense. As CASE1 researched and pointed out that the Skyline did compete and actually win at least 1 race outside of Japan. I knew it competed but every time I saw it didn't win not even its class. I said that you never seen it running over here and win like the AWD Audi that was banned in the 80's or early 90's. Again let me say if you could get the Ugly thing without getting ripped then it would be a cool car for you to own, because its going to cost you big to make that 1000hp. and when it breaks even more. Say No to Drugs
Old 10-09-2005, 10:36 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by clamdip
let me just start with 1000hp STi's???!!! ok, let's stick to the daily driving machined. i don't think that there are any 1000hp STi's and evolutions that are considered daily drivers. i do see however 1000hp supras and skylines though and still are daily drivers. so, i'll leave it at that.

ok, you're talking about the subaru and mitsubishi racing in a WORLD CLASS event and ONLY a WORLD CLASS event, which is the WRC. if rally racing were only in Japan, i can assure you that you would only hear about it winning in japan also. ??

so you're saying that skyline in stock form loses to STi's and Evolutions? keep in mind that the skyline GTR is like the WRX impreza, the skyline nismo Z-tune (which was sold as a modified car from nismo), is like the STi's and evolutions. it's a purely modified base model production car. Nismo takes the regular production model GTR and modifies it, then sells it on the market. just like the STi's. it's a performance model WRX impreza modified and tuned by STi. get the picture?

so you seem to be rating your cars according to their race history and not about what the car is made of. you do know that the skyline has a race bred engine, right? you do know that the ATTESA transmission is one of the most finely engineered transmissions, right? now tell me this, you think subaru's DCCD is the same as the skylines ATTESA transmission? nope. do you think the EJ207 is as strong of a motor as the RB26? nope. i tell you what, for a sub 40-45K car, you get a hell of a lot more than you think. so how can this be overrated? on a side note, the supra was sold in the US for about 50k or so, and even that was a crazy price to pay. but many people didn't know the potential of the supra and what you were buying at 50K, so they looked at that and said "hell no". but now, i think given the knowledge of the car now, i'm sure there are many that said, should've, would've, could've. let me just say that i was smart enough to get one and i'm damn glad i did.

oh yeah and stay away from crack, ok.
I have no problem with the Supra you keep bring that up. I'll say this again out the box STi and Evo smoke that car. Ok so you put 20 grand into it and they get blown away that's great oh yeah you spend 45 grand for USED car thats stupid. Lets see 20grand 1 extra turbo 2 extra cylinders it should win right. If it doesn't DBD like it did on street tuner challenge.
apparently the skyline raced in australia (yes, australia isn't in japan may i add) and apparently dominated there. as well as in the UK. so it still is overrated? geez man, do some actual research and stop getting things off that option magazine crud. you are trying to draw a line that doesn't say much for your arguement. so i found something for you that you can read and understand what this whole "overrated" car is about. then formulate your opinion, ok.

Ok, if you have been following this from the beginning then you would know that I was asking Skyline Cheerleaders to back up their Supercar Status with some facts. I had formed my opinion on of the cars supercar status based racing that I'd seen the car in. The fact that Porsche, Audi and a few others are world class because that raced and won all over the world with includes the US. The Skyline as far as I knew did not. I wanted some facts of its racing heritage something that would make it world class like winning at race series or venues all over the world. CASE1 kicked and screamed then decided to research it and found 2. 1 at Spa and 1 at the Nurburgring. You found 2 both at bathurst. 1 was controversial according to your finding, but winning winning right. OK you guys have put together winning races on 2 Continents great job. I won't say that it didn't win here in the US where winning is everthing and sales cars. You guys made your point finally. All those 1000hp Supras and Skylines do they have dyno sheets posted on the passenger side windows. Lastly the Skyline is still ridiculously overpriced and has a face only a mother could love. Thanks guys it was fun, and Say no to drugs.

Last edited by mw1029h; 10-09-2005 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 WRX

Say yes to hemp.
rwd is an option on an impreza, simple part for center diff that eliminates transfer to the front wheels

Quick Reply: Nissan Skylines