The worst school shooting to date...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by Lurk
It seems like your grasp of the Constitution is tenuous at best. I'm not going to debate 2nd Amendment issues with someone who comes from a place where the right to bear arms doesn't even exist. If you don't "get it", that's fine. But don't get on your soapbox and turn this tragedy into an opportunity for you to demonize firearms.
Why do you doubt my grasp of the Constitution? Do you know how long I've spent living in the states? Are you aware of the various classes I've taken on US History and politics? Instead of trying to prove your argument in a valid and factual manner, you resort to discrediting my knowledge on the subject of the constitution. This is a logical fallacy. Shame on you.

Furthermore, while the constitution allows the right to bear arms, it does not affect the correlation that has been proven between the availability of firearms and shootings.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:37 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Good for you

Originally Posted by w0ng3r
Why do you doubt my grasp of the Constitution? Do you know how long I've spent living in the states? Are you aware of the various classes I've taken on US History and politics? Instead of trying to prove your argument in a valid and factual manner, you resort to discrediting my knowledge on the subject of the constitution. This is a logical fallacy. Shame on you.

Furthermore, while the constitution allows the right to bear arms, it does not affect the correlation that has been proven between the availability of firearms and shootings.
Sounds like you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night as well.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Lurk
Sounds like you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night as well.
And now you are resorting to personal attacks... This is why we can't have proper discussions, smh. I'm done here, I have better things to do with my life than argue with people who make xenophobic, ignorant remarks.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:44 PM

Car Info: Nadda
It's been proven in many comparisons that its difficult to compare such a large population versus another such smaller population such as Singapore. Plus the culture and the society are different. You can't assume just because something works in a small country works for ours. It just doesn't work like that.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by iLoqin
It's been proven in many comparisons that its difficult to compare such a large population versus another such smaller population such as Singapore. Plus the culture and the society are different. You can't assume just because something works in a small country works for ours. It just doesn't work like that.
Yes, Singapore is really, really tiny, but what about in Israel or Switzerland? These are countries whereby guns are readily available, yet have much lower rates of homicides and mass shootings?

If you are saying (and I am extrapolating, correct me if I am wrong) that outlawing guns (and in the long run, rounding up all illegal guns + cracking down on gun smuggling) isn't going to work, then what is it about the US that makes it different? Also, I would like to know how much you know about a country like Singapore, as unfortunately, most people I speak to have no idea where it is, or think that it is part of Mainland China. Can you provide insight on your knowledge of Singapore's culture? And please be specific (especially on what makes the US "different"), I honestly would like to know.

Last edited by w0ng3r; 12-14-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:02 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
^You tout Singapore as being such a safe country due to the lack of firearms and the restrictions on possession of anything firearms related. Switzerland on the other hand is another extremely safe country, with one big difference. Every household in Switzerland is REQUIRED to have a SIG SG550 assault rifle, yet no one goes on a shooting rampage. How is this possible then, by your logic?

They don't even have to resort to caning people either to maintain order and civility. Imagine that.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:49 AM

Car Info: Nadda
I spoke via web for a while on Skype to someone in Singapore. One of the main differences of Singapore to the US is when they hit 18 they have only 2 choices, military or college, and there is a required number in the military. Now in the US we don't standardize all 18 year olds to select one or the other. That's just one instance. As for comparisons of what works in another country versus ours there are tons. Sweden for example has a high tax rate and run more of the whole country and have more power.

We should t compare the United States with others based on our circumstances. There are things we do here that others don't do elsewhere. Singapore shuts down for a whole week or two besides hospitals and law enforcement during Christmas. We have 24 hour stores and sales all up until and on Christmas. Totally different mentality of working hard and dog eat dog versus mandatory vacation and spending time with family.

I would go as far as stating that citizens must have one gun per household and everyone must take gun control training and/or safety of firearms when turning 18. One in must be in every household. I think that would make a big difference with the amount of crime that people do knowing there are armed and trained individuals in every house and business.

Another note. Aurora Batman Massacre? There were multiple theaters closer and around where that guy lived. Yet he hit that one theater. It just so happens that the theater is the only one that banned guns. Security there were not allowed to carry. Interesting? Coincidence? Maybe, maybe not. The fact that it was 1/7 and it just coincidently got hit is a low chance indeed and makes it seem even more calculated.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:54 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Yea in Korea its mandatory to join the military when you turn 18.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Comparing other countries with America......the home of first world problems. Get that bull**** out of here. Point invalid and incoherent.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 AM

Car Info: Miata and dirtbikes
Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Comparing other countries with America......the home of first world problems. Get that bull**** out of here. Point invalid and incoherent.
Im just giving examples of what he said, dont know why you're so uptight about it.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:44 AM

Car Info: MY00 GC6 BRP
Originally Posted by bkblitzed
Im just giving examples of what he said, dont know why you're so uptight about it.
LOL I'm not talking about you, I'm talking to him the whole time. And his Singapore comparison.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by pho_shizzle
Why is it invalid and incoherent? FFS, if you won't start backing up your statements with REASONS, I have no way of telling if you have a specific logic behind it, or if you are being irrationally butthurt.

and seriously, home of firstworld problems? what is it about america that makes the biggest first world country? Sheer size? wealth? technology? Apart from size and population, singapore outranks the US in terms of GDP, healthcare, infrastructure and education.

FYI, you DO realize that the term "first world country" originated to differentiate countries that were opposed to communist countries (Known as second world countries). Third world countries referred to countries that were "neutral".

If you STILL won't provide a proper answer, I will have no reason to continue giving you the benefit of the doubt and simply write you off as another immature butthurt philistine on the internet. The replies in this thread has made me lose so much respect for the members on this board. (inb4 "IDGAF" comments, you are still representing yourself poorly as a individual that fails to engage in meaningful discourse)

Last edited by w0ng3r; 12-15-2012 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by iLoqin
I spoke via web for a while on Skype to someone in Singapore. One of the main differences of Singapore to the US is when they hit 18 they have only 2 choices, military or college, and there is a required number in the military. Now in the US we don't standardize all 18 year olds to select one or the other. That's just one instance. As for comparisons of what works in another country versus ours there are tons. Sweden for example has a high tax rate and run more of the whole country and have more power.

We should t compare the United States with others based on our circumstances. There are things we do here that others don't do elsewhere. Singapore shuts down for a whole week or two besides hospitals and law enforcement during Christmas. We have 24 hour stores and sales all up until and on Christmas. Totally different mentality of working hard and dog eat dog versus mandatory vacation and spending time with family.

I would go as far as stating that citizens must have one gun per household and everyone must take gun control training and/or safety of firearms when turning 18. One in must be in every household. I think that would make a big difference with the amount of crime that people do knowing there are armed and trained individuals in every house and business.
I believe that is a very good point, countries like singapore, israel and switzerland instill a sense of respect for firearms on a national level. As for singapore shutting down for a week or two prior to christmas, I'm sorry, that just isn't true, I assure you all my friends back home are wishing they were on vacation right now.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Ok let me step in here...

1)Anyone, and I mean anyone who thinks there is a corliaton betwene school shootings and the so called "avaliblity" of guns, is drinking the anti-2A koolaid. One just has to look at school shootings in Mexico, England, and Australia to see proof that "banning guns" does not work. (and on that note, if you are unable to find such reports, look harder, they are there but not reported by mainstream American news)

2)Gun free zones do not create a safe area, it creates victims. 20 inocent children are dead, because of people like YOU w0ng3r. Because people like you disarm the teachers and staff, because people like you take a place of education and discovery, and turn it into a box filled with victims. It is your attitude, your outlook, your stance, that has the far reaching impact on life. You enabled this to happen, I hope you are proud.

3)The true guilty here (like w0ng3r) are the ones who push for more gun control, more "gun free zones" crying "think of the children!" People like the Brady campain for gun control, Senator Yee, Barbara Boxer, and the list goes on. THey are the true enemy of the people, the true anti-americans, and the reason a tragic event has ended the lives of so many people.

The solution here, is not more gun control, but to turn on the ones who bring us this mess. Round up the anti-2a folk (like w0ng3r), Put them on trial for treason, find them guilty, and execute every last one of them in the name of good, and the human race!

I end my first post in a long time with this...

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed

I made the coma stand out, and the important part after visible to you terrorist, anti American, scum.

Last edited by Overbear; 12-15-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:03 AM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
Since this has already turned into a gun debate...

Obviously this is all speculation... you have been warned.

A lot of the mass murders are in "gun free" zones. Don't you think these crazies specifically target these places so there's no opposition? Don't you think if there were no "gun free" zones, and concealed carry was legal, the risk of someone being able to shoot you would make the crazy person second guess how he would go through killing people? Or if you don't agree with that, a concealed carry will STOP the crazy before he kills enough to make it a mass murder?

You can't have "gun free" zones and legal guns. As Overbear said, it just makes it a box of victims who are unable to defend themselves. Does anyone here truly believe that a crazy or criminal who wants to kill people is going to see a sign that says "gun free zone" and think 'Oh, I guess I can't go shoot people there.'

Quick Reply: The worst school shooting to date...