World Cup 2006

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 08:57 AM

IMO England had plenty of chances. Lampard f*&ked up so many many times. Crouch had one chance in the first half but he got nervous or something and f(*ked it up. They had so many easy goals.

However, they played really bad overall. Especially the begining of the second half. No connection between the players. Ashely Cole gave some terrible crosses. Just kicking the ball everywhere. It was only because TNT got tired that they were able to score. I am very disappointed at my team. Have always been an England fan. Seamen screwed it up for them last world cup. This year they better to good.

Rooney didn't do bad considering the fact that he didn't play for 6 weeks or more. He came in with all the energy, was on the ball running after it. If it wasn't for him.. the team would have sat back and day dreamt.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:38 PM

Car Info: 2006 WRX TR
Originally Posted by glenspen
You know Mate I think I must have been watching a different game to what most of the pundits on websites were watching, from what I saw we created a good number of chances against a team that had 10 men behind the ball most of the time.

In the knockout stages teams are gonna have to play to win so we should have a bit more space to operate in the last third of the pitch.
Well said... I think like 2/3rds of the people posting here don't realize that if the team sits back they are going to be low scoring games. Most of the low offense teams sit back and wait for counters, been alot of that. When I was watching Sportscenter last night, they said 35-40% of the goals scored so far have been late game, past the 70th. Thats what happens in group stages, the knockouts will be completely different games.

And how bout Argentina today... damn. I posted a month ago in the soccer thread on Nasioc about Argentina and people thought I was crazy for picking them over Brazil to win it. Can't wait for the Holland/Argentina and England/Sweden games.

Last edited by Frestall; 06-16-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Originally Posted by Frestall
Well said... I think like 2/3rds of the people posting here don't realize that if the team sits back they are going to be low scoring games.
It's not the goal count in the games, at least not as far as my comments are concerned as I fully understand and appreciate tight games and low scoring games.

Case in point would be Brazil vs Croatia, that game was never going to be a high scoring game due in part to Brazil having to respect Croatia and knowing they are a viable threat going forward hence that game was fairly tight.

My reference to England is that when your playing second rate opposition regardless of defensive nature a quality side should be able to pick them apart, much like Argentina did. England did not do this and simply are not firing on all cylinders at this point in time.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by UK n00b
My reference to England is that when your playing second rate opposition regardless of defensive nature a quality side should be able to pick them apart, much like Argentina did. England did not do this and simply are not firing on all cylinders at this point in time.
Second rate opposition? If you qualify for a World Cup, I wouldn't consider that second rate.

Look at Angola, they had 8 guys back defending everytime Mexico had the ball past the half line. They sacrificed their attack to play for a tie and it showed, thats the mentality most of these "second rate" teams have when they are playing a team they believe to be stronger. Are they always stronger? I don't think so, there are plenty of previous upsets and underdogs every WC. Its extremely hard to score on a team that is organized and defending as a whole, no matter how skilled at offense.

Last edited by Frestall; 06-17-2006 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:15 AM
VIP Member

Second rate opposition? If you qualify for a World Cup, I wouldn't consider that second rate.
Really?? Care to tell me where all the players in the TNT starting 11 field there trade?

Seriously I don't mean to make lite of the accomplishment of these players reaching the World Cup but you have to be real about how the qualifying goes with the CONCAF groups and so on.

Mike
Old 06-17-2006, 12:17 AM

Really?? Care to tell me where all the players in the TNT starting 11 field there trade?

Seriously I don't mean to make lite of the accomplishment of these players reaching the World Cup but you have to be real about how the qualifying goes with the CONCAF groups and so on.

Mike
Tell me where all the Americans played in 98. Times change.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:19 AM
VIP Member

Look at Angola, they had 8 guys back defending everytime Mexico had the ball past the half line. They sacrificed their attack to play for a tie and it showed, thats the mentality most of these "second rate" teams have when they are playing a team they believe to be stronger. Are they always stronger? I don't think so, there are plenty of previous upsets and underdogs every WC. Its extremely hard to score on a team that is organized and defending as a whole, no matter how skilled at offense.
Sorry I missed that game so cannot comment.

My comments stand on the English team as of right now they are not playing well and are not living up to what they should be able to do with the talent, seems a all familiar tale for us Brits cheering them on we're a nation of underachievers.

Mike
Old 06-17-2006, 12:22 AM
VIP Member

Tell me where all the Americans played in 98. Times change.
? what does that mean.

I base this on the fact the star player is playing in Australian bar league and had to come to the UK to train and his fellow midfield players play in the English 3rd division. Nothing wrong with that but we're not talking World Class are we.

As for the USA, sadly they will be back in the US this time next week. There day may come but not until the game is better adopted over here.

Mike
Old 06-17-2006, 12:29 AM
VIP Member

Sorry let me get this thread back on track as we shouldn't pretend to be soccor enthusiasts (or players) on a Car forum.

Come on you England!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:30 AM

? what does that mean.

I base this on the fact the star player is playing in Australian bar league and had to come to the UK to train and his fellow midfield players play in the English 3rd division. Nothing wrong with that but we're not talking World Class are we.

As for the USA, sadly they will be back in the US this time next week. There day may come but not until the game is better adopted over here.

Mike
In 98 I think maybe 1 or 2 players played abroad, my point was at that time they were pretty much underestimated and now half the Roster plays abroad. I forgot you were from the UK so you probably look down upon us as well, wouldn't catch that.

To answer your question on TNT. Their keeper plays for West Ham I know that much. When I looked over their roster, only three actually play in the Trinidad league. Most of them play in England or Scotland, 2 in the MLS, 1 in AUS, 2 in Wales.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:40 AM
VIP Member

In 98 I think maybe 1 or 2 players played abroad, my point was at that time they were pretty much underestimated and now half the Roster plays abroad. I forgot you were from the UK so you probably look down upon us as well, wouldn't catch that.

To answer your question on TNT. Their keeper plays for West Ham I know that much. When I looked over their roster, only three actually play in the Trinidad league. Most of them play in England or Scotland, 2 in the MLS, 1 in AUS, 2 in Wales.
Yea Shaka has a season remaining at West Ham, the others play in the lower divisions (Except the US forward) with Yorkie playing (there captain) in Australia.

You've got me wrong mate, I comment as I see it. I don't look down on the US team or TNT, I simply stated as far as TNT are concerned they should have been simply outclassed by the current English team but in honesty could have snuck the win if the tired legs had not set in.

Mike
Old 06-17-2006, 12:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 WRX
Wow, Ghana beat the Czech republic! that means if USA can pull off an upset over Italy they might get through....we'll see in the next 70 minutes.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:23 PM

Car Info: 2002 psm wrx
Italy just scored. damn it!!
Old 06-17-2006, 12:46 PM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
stupid comcast is delaying the match here

1-1 now.. looks like Italy got a red card as well
Old 06-17-2006, 12:55 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by glenspen
Wow, Ghana beat the Czech republic! that means if USA can pull off an upset over Italy they might get through....we'll see in the next 70 minutes.
Ghana looked pretty decent this morning, I didn't see them against Italy in the first game.

From watching Italy right now I am surprised they beat Ghana although the US team has stepped it up for this one so it's hard to say.

Seems like this game will be interesting, both teams now down to 10 men.

Come on team USA.

Mike

Quick Reply: World Cup 2006