Where to buy OEM shocks other than the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 10:20 AM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by shimmies
BC racing makes Megan, did that happen to your old coils? Don't think so.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:39 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Feal doesn't rebuild WRX struts. Only STI ones.

BC doesn't make Megan coilovers. Who told you that?

Originally Posted by esousa22
Quite a few, if not all of the people that told me "to go left" haven't even CONSIDERED "to go right". They don't even give the budget suspensions a glance and would never consider them even though they have never been in a car with them or talked with people that have had them for long periods of time. Most people that buy megans use them temporarily and then after 10-30k miles buy a better set which I may very well do if I have the money in 2 years. I wouldn't consider megans either if I had a career and made more than 50k a year.. I make 15k a year, I can't see myself spending 10% or more on a coilovers.
I've been in several cars with cheap coilovers.

The problem with your logic is that you when it comes to something important like suspension you don't buy what you can afford, you buy what you need. If you can't afford what you need you save until you can. Otherwise you need to rethink what you're doing.

Last edited by Brfatal; 01-25-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:53 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
^Yes I did. I'd take a guess that the coilover above got destroyed because of racing/tacking or going WAY over the speed limit and hitting a speed bump. I have talked with 4 people that have megan coilovers, one has had them for 100k and they all said they are just fine. Yeah, not a superstar coilover but they are sufficient for the price and I don't have anything to worry about unless I'm being an a**hat and driving like a dumbsh*t

Quite a few, if not all of the people that told me "to go left" haven't even CONSIDERED "to go right". They don't even give the budget suspensions a glance and would never consider them even though they have never been in a car with them or talked with people that have had them for long periods of time. Most people that buy megans use them temporarily and then after 10-30k miles buy a better set which I may very well do if I have the money in 2 years. I wouldn't consider megans either if I had a career and made more than 50k a year.. I make 15k a year, I can't see myself spending 10% or more on a coilovers.
I went right. If I had gotten into this thread sooner, I would have told you to go left.

I was on BC coilovers for about 30k miles. When I got them, I was told that I should have gotten Koni inserts. Even though I've only been been on Konis for 2 weeks. I can tell that they are undoubtedly better than the BCs. Even with stock springs.

BC racing makes Megan, did that happen to your old coils? Don't think so.
I'm aware. All I said is that I found a cool picture and let you fill in the blanks. Although I can't find the back story, I sure it was a catastrophic accident and the rest of the car is in similar condition.

Originally Posted by Brfatal
The story I've heard is that BC, Megan, and D2, and maybe a few others, are all produced in the same factory. The difference is the QC process.

Kinda like tomatoes. All the tomatoes are grown in the same field. But the name brands get the first pick and the generic brands get the last pick. (for the most part).

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 01-25-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
Feal doesn't rebuild WRX struts. Only STI ones.

I've been in several cars with cheap coilovers.

The problem with your logic is that you when it comes to something important like suspension you don't buy what you can afford, you buy what you need. If you can't afford what you need you save until you can. Otherwise you need to rethink what you're doing.
but if I waited and saved, my tires would wear unevenly. My front right wheel couldnt be put into alignment spec due to the previous owner hitting a curb. I put a camber bolt in and still, couldn't be put in the right alignment. My income doesnt allow me to save more than $100 a month, this purchase drained my account to $250. If I had to go on and on about how I CANT afford other coilovers you'd know too much. I decided to go with coilovers to be able to adjust for offroad conditions as I already stated. Megan coilovers were most suitable for my needs, and price. I didn't think I needed to explain myself and my situation fully but maybe now you understand.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX Wagon

I've actually owned both and compared both even the stickers on the shock matched as well as threading on the shock body.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I went right. If I had gotten into this thread sooner, I would have told you to go left.

I was on BC coilovers for about 30k miles. When I got them, I was told that I should have gotten Koni inserts. Even though I've only been been on Konis for 2 weeks. I can tell that they are undoubtedly better than the BCs. Even with stock springs.

I'm aware. All I said is that I found a cool picture and let you fill in the blanks. Although I can't find the back story, I sure it was a catastrophic accident and the rest of the car is in similar condition.
And I agree that they are great, but if you took the time to read through a few more of my posts, you would see I need adjustability in height for offroad for hunting purposes and I understand its not worth it for some people unless you really are THAT bored haha
Old 01-25-2013, 11:13 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

And I agree that they are great, but if you took the time to read through a few more of my posts, you would see I need adjustability in height for offroad for hunting purposes and I understand its not worth it for some people unless you really are THAT bored haha
Simply raising the height won't make your car suitable to go off road. Although you'll have ground clearance, you suspension is still designed for smooth pavement. There will be no travel to keep all four tires on the ground. You will be constantly 3-wheeling and spinning the lifted tire.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:20 AM

Simply raising the height won't make your car suitable to go off road. Although you'll have ground clearance, you suspension is still designed for smooth pavement. There will be no travel to keep all four tires on the ground. You will be constantly 3-wheeling and spinning the lifted tire.
I understand that, but without the ground clearance there is zero possibility of going off road. I won't be driving fast. Megan suspension travel is actually quite a bit from what it seems
Old 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

So... You don't go offroad for hunting purposes right now?
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
The story I've heard is that BC, Megan, and D2, and maybe a few others, are all produced in the same factory. The difference is the QC process.
I've actually owned both and compared both even the stickers on the shock matched as well as threading on the shock body.
Two Asian companies make basically all of the budget coilovers: Bor Chuan Racing in Taiwan and HD Systems in Korea. They make them to whatever specs are requested by the branding company. Bor Chuan makes both of the coilovers in question. I had though HD made Megan's. Apologies. There are differences been Megans and BC BRs (Megan Racing Vs BC Racing Coilovers - NASIOC).

Last edited by Brfatal; 01-25-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:32 AM

So... You don't go offroad for hunting purposes right now?
I go from october-february 2 times a week. Then another few times outside of those dates. I don't want to keep my car super high so I'm gonna keep it how it sits, check my recent posts if you wanna see where it sits, and when I get to the spot where I'm going to go offroad, raise it up, at maximum 3 miles roundtrip offroad and then drop if back down, counting the rotations of the locking collar so it sits exactly where it was prior.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:05 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

I'm not concerned about you changing the height.

What I was trying to get at is going offroad for hunting purposes on your Mach V springs.

From the what you're saying, it seems like the Mach V springs didn't offer enough clearance to go offroad for hunting purposes. Therefore making the adjustable coilovers necessary.

But if you've made the trip on the Mach V springs before, why can't you do it now?
Old 01-25-2013, 12:14 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx
sell me your mach v springs....haha
Old 01-25-2013, 01:25 PM

Car Info: Some sort of Subaru
but if I waited and saved, my tires would wear unevenly. My front right wheel couldnt be put into alignment spec due to the previous owner hitting a curb. I put a camber bolt in and still, couldn't be put in the right alignment. My income doesnt allow me to save more than $100 a month, this purchase drained my account to $250. If I had to go on and on about how I CANT afford other coilovers you'd know too much. I decided to go with coilovers to be able to adjust for offroad conditions as I already stated. Megan coilovers were most suitable for my needs, and price. I didn't think I needed to explain myself and my situation fully but maybe now you understand.
From the previous owner hitting the curb, what was damaged? I'm assuming what was damaged wasn't fixed.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:34 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
you could have just gotten:
https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal...prings-248041/

but you wanted your height adjustable suspension

Quick Reply: Where to buy OEM shocks other than the dealer