Where to buy OEM shocks other than the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 PM

Car Info: Galaxy Blue 2015 WRX
Originally Posted by TheFozz
Entirely possible. Then again, I have become more and more aware lately all it takes is one well placed pothole and there goes your strut.

Give it a shot and see, IMHO worth the 15minutes to try and see.

EDIT: and yes, if it was installed without being turned out essentially running with the valve stack offset it would blow them out. Thing is once they blow out there's no valving at all, and rebound would not happen and the shock would return just as fast as compressed versus freezing up, or at least that's usually what I would see.
15 minutes? I wish it took me 15 minutes to take off my wheel, back seat, strut bar and strut assembly! wanna work on my car?
Old 01-21-2013, 09:34 PM

Car Info: Whatever The Lot Provides ;)
Originally Posted by esousa22
15 minutes? I wish it took me 15 minutes to take off my wheel, back seat, strut bar and strut assembly! wanna work on my car?
You put the bad strut back on?
*I was a Pro-Wrench in a former life, maybe, if I had the right tools, etc. and 17 less years on my clock.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheFozz
You put the bad strut back on?
*I was a Pro-Wrench in a former life, maybe, if I had the right tools, etc. and 17 less years on my clock.
I had to, its my only car.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:41 AM

Car Info: 04 psm wrx sedan
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
To be fair, most of the time with suspension, it fails so gradually that most people do not detect an abrupt change, and do not realize things have worn out or what-have-you. I agree with you, if he were to swap out for a new or rebuilt set of the same, there would definitely be a difference. Stuff like suspension experiences a good amount of wear and degradation in 60k+ miles of usage, but unless something fails drastically - most people do not notice.
To be fair, I had 225/45/17s when I first got the coilovers...I then added sti lca, went to 205/55/16s, added alk and then went to 225/40/18s, and I've changed the settings from stiff to soft and back a few times...

And I'm probably not going to buy another set even though they have lasted me so long...need more suspension travel and rebound..I've gotten a lot more agressive around turns and it skips/hops too much now...
Old 01-22-2013, 11:04 AM

Purchased megan racing street series with extenders. They should arrive at my door tomorrow.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by slugrx
To be fair, I had 225/45/17s when I first got the coilovers...I then added sti lca, went to 205/55/16s, added alk and then went to 225/40/18s, and I've changed the settings from stiff to soft and back a few times...

And I'm probably not going to buy another set even though they have lasted me so long...need more suspension travel and rebound..I've gotten a lot more agressive around turns and it skips/hops too much now...
From what it sounds like, you would probably be really stoked with a set of Konis and a good set of springs that set the hight where you want it - or maybe even better, a Ground Control/Koni setup. Probably the only thing to worry about if you stick with a standard spring perch is wheel to strut clearance.

Personally, I would bet that since the way you have been driving/enjoying your car and getting more aggressive and such at the same time as your suspension is gradually wearing, you would be pretty impressed with a new set of Konis.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:43 AM

I got coilovers for the height adjustability because I'm constantly changing tire sizes so ill raise or lower my car accordingly..

I even had to raise my car for a bit with 16s because my brothers driveway has a weird bump that would scrape my subframe after the alk install

Rode in a car with dpecs/gc sleeves and I was unimpressed...seemed harsher than my car..but I've heard dspecs are picky with spring selection
Old 01-22-2013, 12:46 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
I got coilovers for the height adjustability because I'm constantly changing tire sizes so ill raise or lower my car accordingly..

I even had to raise my car for a bit with 16s because my brothers driveway has a weird bump that would scrape my subframe after the alk install

Rode in a car with dpecs/gc sleeves and I was unimpressed...seemed harsher than my car..but I've heard dspecs are picky with spring selection
Ground Controls can come in any spring rate you want, do you know if the spring rates between yours and that car are comparable?
Old 01-22-2013, 01:58 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant

Cool - makes sense.

With the gc parts, I hear ya, but it's not always the hardware. On my old MR2, when I put in my Konis and ST springs, it was really harsh and jouncy - really uncomfortable. That was because I didn't know what I was doing with the adjustment. A friend helped me work it out on a drive up/down 9 and 84 and it was really nice. Ultimately we basically tightened up the rear and loosened the front, but that is a mid-engine car.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by STi-owns-evo
Ground Controls can come in any spring rate you want, do you know if the spring rates between yours and that car are comparable?
I'm pretty sure they were 8/6 like my bcs but I'm not exact with that answer
Old 01-22-2013, 02:38 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
I'm pretty sure they were 8/6 like my bcs but I'm not exact with that answer
8/6kg is actually quite aggressive. D-Specs would not be able to handle 448 lb/in springs (they barely take RCE Yellows). So if that's accurate then that's why the ride wasn't that great.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Purchased megan racing street series with extenders. They should arrive at my door tomorrow.
Thought you were sold on Konis?

Your money would have been better spent on the Konis esp over time.

I sold a car 5 years ago with Koni Yellow struts to an old car club friend, i had purchased the struts for the car new around 98. I drove the car like i stole it through all of the bay area mountains, drove to Colorado and back, Auto crossed the car, Dude i ABUSED THE CAR!!! The new owner called me in November to shoot the ish and he thank me for buying the konis. He now has new struts at all 4 corners for next to nothing, i believe he said he had to cover shipping the blown ones back. You def get what you pay for. Free replacement/rebuild with the possibility of custom valving (koni) or fork out how ever much you just spent again when the megans go bad due to wear/tear like any strut/shock.

You will have to let us know how this goes. Who is installing the coil overs?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Thought you were sold on Konis?

Your money would have been better spent on the Konis esp over time.

I sold a car 5 years ago with Koni Yellow struts to an old car club friend, i had purchased the struts for the car new around 98. I drove the car like i stole it through all of the bay area mountains, drove to Colorado and back, Auto crossed the car, Dude i ABUSED THE CAR!!! The new owner called me in November to shoot the ish and he thank me for buying the konis. He now has new struts at all 4 corners for next to nothing, i believe he said he had to cover shipping the blown ones back. You def get what you pay for. Free replacement/rebuild with the possibility of custom valving (koni) or fork out how ever much you just spent again when the megans go bad due to wear/tear like any strut/shock.

You will have to let us know how this goes. Who is installing the coil overs?
I got to thinking about it and would like the adjustability in height because I go hunting and it would be nice to have the luxury of the adjustment. I got them for a decent price with free next day shipping. I couldn't find konis for cheaper than my OTD price of the megans after taxes and shipping.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:12 PM

Car Info: 2006 STI
I got to thinking about it and would like the adjustability in height because I go hunting and it would be nice to have the luxury of the adjustment. I got them for a decent price with free next day shipping. I couldn't find konis for cheaper than my OTD price of the megans after taxes and shipping.
Hope those last driving on the roads you travel to go hunting. Who is doing the install?
Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 PM

Car Info: '11 STI
you do realize one of the big points in dialing in a suspension setup is to corner balance. meaning you should set it to one height and then have it corner balanced accordingly. but then again you got megans so nvm you just want to adjust like all the cool kids

Quick Reply: Where to buy OEM shocks other than the dealer