Two dead in illegal drag racing accident (Was: HORRIBLE car accident in Castro Valley

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:43 AM

Car Info: 1996 Impreza Brighton bone stock sadly
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
your kids are gonna hate you.
They'll be alive though, and thank him in the long run
Old 08-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Originally Posted by ryball
Who cares? The way I think about it is, I am supposed to be their father not their friend. I think that is where too many parents these days get caught up. They put too much effort into trying to get their kids to like them, when they should be spending that time parenting them.

Parnets.

Parnets.

I care!

What about teaching kids right, and then letting them at least TRY to make good judgements. Issue today isn't being kids friends, it's not disciplining them and making them responsible for their actions.

Being crazy snooping parent is NOT going to help. Have to let them make mistakes, teach them what was wrong in their mistakes, and eventually they'll get it.

But spoiling kids, buying them ****, and NOT disciplining them is what's wrong with parenting today.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:15 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
I care!

What about teaching kids right, and then letting them at least TRY to make good judgements. Issue today isn't being kids friends, it's not disciplining them and making them responsible for their actions.

Being crazy snooping parent is NOT going to help. Have to let them make mistakes, teach them what was wrong in their mistakes, and eventually they'll get it.

But spoiling kids, buying them ****, and NOT disciplining them is what's wrong with parenting today.
Being a snooping parent is better, in my mind, than being an absentee parent trying to be their friend. I see it a lot. It's not that I'm discounting your experience. I know you work with kids with the scouts.

I am not saying that I am going to snoop on my kids every move, either. Ideally, I would love for them to have good judgment with the core of what my wife and I have taught them is right.

Knowing/asking where they are going is sometimes enough. Sure kids might lie to their parents about where they are going. But in my experience, the kids whose parents care enough to ask are typically more well behaved and have better judgment in general than kids whose parents don't ask/care.

I agree with you that parents these days don't discipline their kids and make them responsible for their actions enough these days. But in a day and age when the PARENTS don't even take personal responsibility for their OWN actions, how can we expect them to ask their kids to take responsibility?

This kid's parents are probably just going to blame the kid in the BMW and not take responsibility for being poor parents to a kid with poor judgment.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Old School

Originally Posted by ryball
Being a snooping parent is better, in my mind, than being an absentee parent trying to be their friend. I see it a lot. It's not that I'm discounting your experience. I know you work with kids with the scouts.

I am not saying that I am going to snoop on my kids every move, either. Ideally, I would love for them to have good judgment with the core of what my wife and I have taught them is right.

Knowing/asking where they are going is sometimes enough. Sure kids might lie to their parents about where they are going. But in my experience, the kids whose parents care enough to ask are typically more well behaved and have better judgment in general than kids whose parents don't ask/care.

I agree with you that parents these days don't discipline their kids and make them responsible for their actions enough these days. But in a day and age when the PARENTS don't even take personal responsibility for their OWN actions, how can we expect them to ask their kids to take responsibility?

This kid's parents are probably just going to blame the kid in the BMW and not take responsibility for being poor parents to a kid with poor judgment.
I feel you.

I just know that discipline works. If you get a ticket, you lose the car... things like that.

You didn't study all week for your test, when I reminded you to do so... and you got an F... your game console is getting locked away.

Parents DO NOT do the above.

And you're right, Parents are ****ing stupid these days, but their adults already... only the law can take care of them now, society can't really parent them.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:25 AM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Thread title is misleading

This was not a racing accident it was street racing.

Real racing has nothing to do with this somewhat unfortunate cleaning up of the gene pool.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:29 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: nonplussed
I feel you.

I just know that discipline works. If you get a ticket, you lose the car... things like that.

You didn't study all week for your test, when I reminded you to do so... and you got an F... your game console is getting locked away.

Parents DO NOT do the above.

And you're right, Parents are ****ing stupid these days, but their adults already... only the law can take care of them now, society can't really parent them.
We agree, then.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:43 AM

I don't call it snooping. It's enforcement. Teaching kids good judgment is one thing. Having an 17-18 yr old boy make good judgment behind the wheel with his friends/girls around is another. That pressure usually trumps anything you've taught them. I would consider it a fair trade for a "relatively" cool car in HS. My kid would never get a vette from me unless it was left in my will. I might help buy the first car, but after that he's on his own. I don't want a spoiled 30 yr old brat when I'm trying to retire.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:12 PM

Car Info: sc300
when i was 18 i had a perfectly clear idea of what could easily happen when speeding significantly.

the kid had his reasons for doing what he did, and he paid the price. the girl was dating an idiot, but i still feel bad for her.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:15 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Originally Posted by psoper
This was not a racing accident it was street racing.

Real racing has nothing to do with this somewhat unfortunate cleaning up of the gene pool.

OK so its been fixed.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 05:48 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

i saw news footage of the AUNT...

she was crying and she said that they knew about this 'race' for over a week.

why didnt the authorities get involved? the police? the PARENTS??????

well duh... the parents did get involved... BY BUYING THE KID THE FIRGGIN CAR!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by ldivinag
i saw news footage of the AUNT...

she was crying and she said that they knew about this 'race' for over a week.

why didnt the authorities get involved? the police? the PARENTS??????

well duh... the parents did get involved... BY BUYING THE KID THE FIRGGIN CAR!!!!!!!!!!!
the aunt knew?!?!?!

WHAT THE ****!??!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:05 PM

Car Info: 2000 Tacoma Pre-Runner 4 Cyl.
Wow just wow, hope cops in Castro Valley don't start harrassing me for having a nice sporty car because of this idiot I hope the family of the girl sues the guys family and wins hella $$$$ I am glad my parents did not spend a dime on my car, and that I have made it this far. Ever since I got my license parents been hating on me, I failed my driving test twice, driving too fast was the excuse twice I see the footage fromthe accident and it really makes me not want to do stupid **** no more. I think I am gonna start heading up to the track from now on.

Also yes a lot of parents in this area buy their kids nice cars and a lot of the time they get destroyed in a matter of months. One of my friends received a 996 GT3 for his Grad present 4 weeks alter totalled on that same road, ran a red light at Five Canyons and hit a F-150. I think there are a lot of parents in the Bay Area alone that buy kids nice cars and what not. Smart, no, but hey it is a free country we can do almost anything we want right??

RIP Sarah, as for the guy eFF him!

-Gio
Old 08-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Old School

Originally Posted by East Bay STI
Wow just wow, hope cops in Castro Valley don't start harrassing me for having a nice sporty car because of this idiot I hope the family of the girl sues the guys family and wins hella $$$$ I am glad my parents did not spend a dime on my car, and that I have made it this far. Ever since I got my license parents been hating on me, I failed my driving test twice, driving too fast was the excuse twice I see the footage fromthe accident and it really makes me not want to do stupid **** no more. I think I am gonna start heading up to the track from now on.

Also yes a lot of parents in this area buy their kids nice cars and a lot of the time they get destroyed in a matter of months. One of my friends received a 996 GT3 for his Grad present 4 weeks alter totalled on that same road, ran a red light at Five Canyons and hit a F-150. I think there are a lot of parents in the Bay Area alone that buy kids nice cars and what not. Smart, no, but hey it is a free country we can do almost anything we want right??

RIP Sarah, as for the guy eFF him!

-Gio
Yeah, you can do what ever you want... but we as a society better enforce some harsh punishment if a life was taken and didn't need to be.

I'm for locking up the dad, for life... manslaughter, yup, that fits perfectly.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:38 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

the aunt knew?!?!?!

WHAT THE ****!??!

no, she said other students knew about the race. maybe some other people too.

she was saying that someone should have stopped this.

she started to just about to blamed everyone but those involved...

i know it was sad, but she was directing her frustrations at the wrong direction.
Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
97 vette cost like 15k, thats why he got it

Quick Reply: Two dead in illegal drag racing accident (Was: HORRIBLE car accident in Castro Valley