so i got a state ref yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:49 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
I dont understand how refs can fail you for silicone hoses. Do they point out a specific section of the vehicle code that states you cant use silicone hoses? I can understand failing you for cais/uppipe/downpipe/intercoolers but not for silicone hoses.
Even stupid vaccume line has a carb number on it now days.

Another reason why I live full time in AZ.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:51 PM

Car Info: Norco 29er Mtn Bike
I think it depends in the officers taste in cars and if he needs to make quota. Us import guys are easy pickens LOL

Last edited by Urban_Grey_2.5; 04-16-2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:52 PM

Car Info: Norco 29er Mtn Bike
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
A lot of these fines are a complete sham. You can be ref'd on an officers whim even if he doesn't know what the hell he's looking at. You then have to take the time off of work to get your car through the system. That's time. That's money. Plus the fees for the paperwork. Then you have to submit it and pay those fines and/or go to court to get them reduced. All of this costs time and money. Meanwhile you may or may not have been braking any laws.

Meanwhile someone passes you with a 6 inch exhaust and no cats on their car and they don't get looked at. Or worse yet they're driving around with no lights on in the rain, or with no brake lights, or no brake pads squealing like crazy. THis state is friggin bull****.
^
ThIS!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:13 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by onemanarmy
a lot of these fines are a complete sham. You can be ref'd on an officers whim even if he doesn't know what the hell he's looking at. You then have to take the time off of work to get your car through the system. That's time. That's money. Plus the fees for the paperwork. Then you have to submit it and pay those fines and/or go to court to get them reduced. All of this costs time and money. Meanwhile you may or may not have been braking any laws.

Meanwhile someone passes you with a 6 inch exhaust and no cats on their car and they don't get looked at. Or worse yet they're driving around with no lights on in the rain, or with no brake lights, or no brake pads squealing like crazy. This state is friggin bull****.
+1.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:19 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Originally Posted by old.guy
Even stupid vaccume line has a carb number on it now days.

Another reason why I live full time in AZ.
Lame but Im still waiting for someone to post literature in regards of silicone hoses. Hell Id also be interested in reading the literature for these vacuum lines.

Do guys just take everything the ref tells them as law without having them show where it says its "illegal"?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:45 PM

Car Info: .
Originally Posted by eugenile

this is why modifying cars is not worth it when you live in CA
Fixed.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:06 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Dude.. I'm living that nightmare now. I have enough in my subaru to buy a ... well never mind. But it seems to run a few times a year. At this point it will out last everything I own unless I part it out soon. The lp640 runs better then my subaru and its cheaper to keep on the road.

But yes, I love having a worry free car and truck. Dont know how many times I have blazed by CHP in my truck or other cars and they dont even look up at you.
I am just getting my nightmare started. Now, it looks like my car will probably be sitting still until I feel inspired to trailer it around to shops to get a quote to return it to stock, which will of course never happen. I guess I will just have to bomb around in my beater Veyron until this is sorted.

Originally Posted by wrxBRAH
Lame but Im still waiting for someone to post literature in regards of silicone hoses. Hell Id also be interested in reading the literature for these vacuum lines.

Do guys just take everything the ref tells them as law without having them show where it says its "illegal"?
There is not really literature to speak of. If there were it would not say anything more than to the effect of "OEM or CARB E.O. = pass, anything else = fail." It is purely a money-making scheme at this point and it's up to the aftermarket suppliers to put up for the exemption. The juice has to be worth the squeeze for them, so they are not going to do this for a small market. It has NOTHING whatsoever to do with logic, or the fact that changing a tube does not really affect emissions or even further, when people's cars test clean but fail for visual. This really grinds my gears!

Originally Posted by Spoolin415
Fixed.
I moved to Reno back last Oct, and am moving back here. I had an appointment to go get my CA ID this morning and I cancelled it, and I just can't do it yet. Not sure what I am going to do at this point but I don't know that I can manage living here and keeping my NV info. I know some people do that, but not sure I can.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:16 PM
banned

Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

/thread

You want to know what is legal? ^^^
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM
banned

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I am just getting my nightmare started. Now, it looks like my car will probably be sitting still until I feel inspired to trailer it around to shops to get a quote to return it to stock, which will of course never happen. I guess I will just have to bomb around in my beater Veyron until this is sorted.

There is not really literature to speak of. If there were it would not say anything more than to the effect of "OEM or CARB E.O. = pass, anything else = fail." It is purely a money-making scheme at this point and it's up to the aftermarket suppliers to put up for the exemption. The juice has to be worth the squeeze for them, so they are not going to do this for a small market. It has NOTHING whatsoever to do with logic, or the fact that changing a tube does not really affect emissions or even further, when people's cars test clean but fail for visual. This really grinds my gears!

I moved to Reno back last Oct, and am moving back here. I had an appointment to go get my CA ID this morning and I cancelled it, and I just can't do it yet. Not sure what I am going to do at this point but I don't know that I can manage living here and keeping my NV info. I know some people do that, but not sure I can.
You have already been stopped. So they know you. So if the cop sees you in your car with a NV plate. He might get pissy with you and cause more B.S.
I think the only time they really bust people is after a reported problem. Then they go crack down in a area. The best way to slow this crap down is the police our own. Make sure all the asshats are not ruining it for the rest of us.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:19 PM

Car Info: Forester XTi
Originally Posted by OneManArmy
A lot of these fines are a complete sham. You can be ref'd on an officers whim even if he doesn't know what the hell he's looking at. You then have to take the time off of work to get your car through the system. That's time. That's money. Plus the fees for the paperwork. Then you have to submit it and pay those fines and/or go to court to get them reduced. All of this costs time and money. Meanwhile you may or may not have been braking any laws.

Meanwhile someone passes you with a 6 inch exhaust and no cats on their car and they don't get looked at. Or worse yet they're driving around with no lights on in the rain, or with no brake lights, or no brake pads squealing like crazy. THis state is friggin bull****.
There is recorse you can take. If the officer is claming somthing that is not there (ie you are totaly legal), call him on it on the spot. Demand his supervisor be called out. Call your lawyer and have him ready to go. File formal charges/complaint aganst the officer for violation of your civil rights (pulling you over without due cause or suspect).

Remember you do NOT have to open your hood for the officer, and unless he is a federal officer, you CAN lie to them (protected by law and court cases). Your answer is this..

Step out of your car, lock it, put the keys in your pocket and say "I am sorry officer but I do not condone to a search of my property or person at this time. Am I free to go?"

Unless he has PC (and a exaust mod is not PC), then he has no choice but to let you go. Otherwise its called a unlawful detainer and it can end up costing the city/county a buttload of money, and the cop his job.

Know your rights folks.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
You have already been stopped. So they know you. So if the cop sees you in your car with a NV plate. He might get pissy with you and cause more B.S.
I think the only time they really bust people is after a reported problem. Then they go crack down in a area. The best way to slow this crap down is the police our own. Make sure all the asshats are not ruining it for the rest of us.
No, I have not been stopped in CA in this car. Technically I still live in Nevada, with a NV address where I get mail, an NV license, NV plates and NV insurance so there is no problem until I get my CA ID. Then, if I get stopped with a CA ID in a car registered to me in NV, I will have a problem and what you say is potentially true. This is why I did NOT go get my CA ID this morning as planned, because that would have "started the clock" for how long I have to smog and register my other cars. Since I still technically live in NV, doing that would have been stupid.

EDIT: what I am talking about with "starting my headache" is that I just picked up a WRX, w/ CA plates, from a friend that I have wanted for years, and there are some non-compliant items on it. I thought I had time to fix that, but I don't due to some unforeseen events.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:31 PM
banned

That does not work with hood pops.. It works for everything else. CHP has it in law that they can inspect anything on the road at will. You will only make life worse if you refuse a hood pop. Now a ticket on the other hand you are correct.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 PM
banned

Originally Posted by wombatsauce
No, I have not been stopped in CA in this car. Technically I still live in Nevada, with a NV address where I get mail, an NV license, NV plates and NV insurance so there is no problem until I get my CA ID. Then, if I get stopped with a CA ID in a car registered to me in NV, I will have a problem and what you say is potentially true.

EDIT: what I am talking about with "starting my headache" is that I just picked up a WRX, w/ CA plates, from a friend that I have wanted for years, and there are some non-compliant items on it. I thought I had time to fix that, but I don't due to some unforeseen events.
Ah .. yes then truck that thing up to NV and plate it. Just keep in mind that if any police see you a few times and remember you. He can stop you and your in trouble. Also every CHP office and most locals do DUI style check points that are DL and REG check points. Course if they find themselfs a DUI. They are happy. But they are geared to catch out of state people living here.

They do them all the time in Martinez. I am sure in the south bay they do them too.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:38 PM
banned

Originally Posted by Overbear
Unless he has PC (and a exaust mod is not PC), then he has no choice but to let you go. Otherwise its called a unlawful detainer and it can end up costing the city/county a buttload of money, and the cop his job.

Know your rights folks.
Exhaust and PC is well up to the officer making the stop. I really do think that someone should push this issue and well take it up the chain of courts.
But its California. Cars are the next firearm.

They are using this loophole to catch street racers. If we just police our own and stop the stupid street racing. Maybe they might back off.
Old 04-17-2012, 01:58 PM
previously known as wrxBRAH

Car Info: 2004 FXT
Database: Aftermarket Parts Database of Executive Orders

/thread

You want to know what is legal? ^^^
I use that thing daily but didnt know there was an area for vacuum lines. lol @ me. mind = blown

Quick Reply: so i got a state ref yesterday