so i got a state ref yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:51 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
Originally Posted by aznpride65o
I believe what my cousin from vegas last told me was that there is smog in vegas. The only places there is smog in Nevada is vegas and reno. Also i think the full tint applies to all side windows and rear i dont believe you are allowed to tint the front lol. just saying if you planned on doing it.
they do smog in reno and LV its called no CEL you pass
Old 04-15-2012, 03:52 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
I believe what my cousin from vegas last told me was that there is smog in vegas. The only places there is smog in Nevada is vegas and reno. Also i think the full tint applies to all side windows and rear i dont believe you are allowed to tint the front lol. just saying if you planned on doing it.
Yeah you have to smog in Vegas annually. Tinting the front windshield is illegal in all states but it didn't stop my uncle from doing it. 3% tint on all windows with 35% tint on the front windshield
Old 04-15-2012, 04:09 PM

Car Info: 07 SWP WRX
Originally Posted by 04caliwrx
you can also use an spt intake, sounds like your car is close to stock just smake it stock take it to the ref (thought they were clossed) and then you are good to go. Was it chp or local PD
it was local pd i think. not quite sure. and an spt intake will work? i guess ill be shopping around for one this week.

Originally Posted by Jimboi
Dang and you just got.that car not.too.long ago right? Lol
yah bro, i barely got it in december lol. first ticket and its a state ref. frickin awesome.

well i just want to thank everybody for the good advice. i just hope i pass everything on the first try. it really does blow that i got caught instead of those other hondas that were there hahaha.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
banned

Car Info: 500+ whp Club
Originally Posted by Krinkov
Damn I feel for ya, Im just SO glad I dont have to deal with this BS anymore. Hell Im running a totally different motor in my vette with big cam, long tube headers and loud as hell exhaust and all cops do when they see me is smile and give me a big thumbs up. Im done with ever trying to mod imports haha!
Does it run?

Out of state can be a even bigger no no. If they can prove you live there and use out of state tags. They can impound your car. Even easier if you haveva California DL. Plus chp changed the law. So they can technically ticket you for pretty much anything even being out of state. All my stuff is being swapped to az. But i have a Az DL. And insurance.

Ref was my worst nightmare. I no longer have to worry about. My car passed AZ smog this last week.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Instead of going SPT just grab a stock one, you're looking better going that route. Krinkov I definitely agree with you there, my buddy with a camero loud as **** can go by a cop no problem. One thing that I noticed lately, more of our cars being pulled over than hondas etc, are they cracking down on subarus or what?

You can look at your ticket and it says it at the top who issued it to you.

@Eugenile you mean they will fail you for a T in the vacuum line?

Windshield tint, at 35% I got away a couple times without them noticing but its pretty ballsy to do, hence why I'm at 50% and still wanting my side windows to be darker than 5% LOL
Old 04-15-2012, 04:20 PM
banned

Originally Posted by Jodice112
Yeah you have to smog in Vegas annually. Tinting the front windshield is illegal in all states but it didn't stop my uncle from doing it. 3% tint on all windows with 35% tint on the front windshield
Tinting all the windows us not only stupid but very dangerous. I was happy when I removed my front windows. The subaru will not get retinted. But everything else I drive will. I do the back and all the side windows. Its just hard to drive at night.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:27 PM

Car Info: 2005 sti
Lol. I remember meeting you at D&B. I said damn bro you let your lady drive yo ****
Lol
Old 04-15-2012, 04:36 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
Originally Posted by old.guy
Tinting all the windows us not only stupid but very dangerous. I was happy when I removed my front windows. The subaru will not get retinted. But everything else I drive will. I do the back and all the side windows. Its just hard to drive at night.
It was awesome in Vegas. It was 110+ degrees outside yet inside the car was nice and cool. I'd tint my windows if I lived in the desert. Not worth the hassle where I live though.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 PM
banned

Yeah its called the fish bowl effect. Even all the police cars here are tinted
Old 04-15-2012, 04:57 PM

The 50% on my windshield actually makes driving at night easier for me esp going over mountain passes where majority of the people drive with their brights on.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM

Car Info: 1998 M3, 2016 WRX
Originally Posted by Heedz
@Eugenile you mean they will fail you for a T in the vacuum line?
I think so. I failed my state ref the first time because the guy doing the test said I was not allowed to have an aftermarket boost gauge even though it didn't affect emissions.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:10 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
So much misinformation, first check with the state ref of what he is checking.

Depending on the state ref you can get away with stuff.
Remember subaru's did come oem with the sti boost gauge etc, they actually have a subaru part number for all the T's etc.

For the intake, you will lead to less searching around the engine if you just put a stock air box. (trade with someone for the ref)
Btw if you ever looked at the stock intake temps vs aftermarket intake, you will instantly go back to the stock air box

If it is state ref for just modified exhaust, most likely you will need to swap anything exhaust wise back to stock.

Some might trip off silcone hoses, but if you bought black ones it usually won't even phase the referee.

If you were not ref'd for tint, then don't worry about it.

As long as everything "looks stock", they will check for the downpipe cats, they can't tell the uppipe is or not(wouldn't be too worried about that one)
Usually they won't even put you through the sniffer, (maybe a sound test)

Last edited by MonsterGC; 04-15-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by MonsterGC
So much misinformation, first check with the state ref of what he is checking.

Depending on the state ref you can get away with stuff.
Remember subaru's did come oem with the sti boost gauge etc, they actually have a subaru part number for all the T's etc.

For the intake, you will lead to less searching around the engine if you just put a stock air box. (trade with someone for the ref)
Btw if you ever looked at the stock intake temps vs aftermarket intake, you will instantly go back to the stock air box

If it is state ref for just modified exhaust, most likely you will need to swap anything exhaust wise back to stock.

Some might trip off silcone hoses, but if you bought black ones it usually won't even phase the referee.

If you were not ref'd for tint, then don't worry about it.

As long as everything "looks stock", they will check for the downpipe cats, they can't tell the uppipe is or not(wouldn't be too worried about that one)
Usually they won't even put you through the sniffer, (maybe a sound test)
I remember you had troubles with that silicone coupler.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:11 PM

Car Info: wrx02
I got pulled over for modified exhuast two times in a same month. State ref one out of those two. Turned it back to stock except for a catback. Got tired of playing that game. I have been driving my 02 wrx like that for 3yrs now. I just keep the wrx as well maintained DD. I pass CHP department almost everyday due to where my work is located. Not worth trouble anymore. I'm planning to get something fast and keep it basically stock for that reason. Perhaps, 2014 STI will do.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:05 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by Krinkov
Damn I feel for ya, Im just SO glad I dont have to deal with this BS anymore. Hell Im running a totally different motor in my vette with big cam, long tube headers and loud as hell exhaust and all cops do when they see me is smile and give me a big thumbs up. Im done with ever trying to mod imports haha!
1. Sell import
2. Buy domestic V8
3. ???
4. ???
5. No more ref ( profit? )

Quick Reply: so i got a state ref yesterday