R34 for sale in the bay area!!! I wish...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by Heedz
finally Mr JDM here to shut it down
indeed.

And its funny that in this day and age people still dont realize just being able to get the DMV to give you a registration MEANS NOTHING

Sorry to tell you this, but you think the local/state/government agencies work together like some well oiled machine but they DONT. the CHP might give you permission bot the DMV wont, or the DMV might give you permission but the department of Homeland security wont. bottom line is, the Feds have already said any R32/R33/R34 is illegal, regardless of what piece of paper your local/state agency gave you. You got the time/money to fight them in court after they seize your car? Thats up to you. But dont think just because you got the DMV to give you tags, the feds wont seize it, great system we have huh?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Registering and having a pink slip on a new car is like giving up your rights to your car just like.

TSA

Do any of us whom own a CA registered car actually own our cars? That's a question for you guys to think about. Aaron or Jeremy don't answer this one
Old 05-21-2012, 06:43 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by international B

if you have an appropriate bond release, it may allow the car to be used for track or show use. There are only 2 34's with that document. One is igors car that ran in world challenge, and the other is a 4-door.

Hmmm going to have to find a pic of me working on that car
Old 05-21-2012, 09:09 PM
rau
Something Custom

Car Info: You guys mad.
Originally Posted by EvoZero
I didn't read a lot of replies but I can tell you first had experience that there are registered R32's and 33's in California. I used to work at a shop in the city and I know you all know of it. Method 4 and we had TWO registered and plated CA R33 GTRs. One of these cars is a Tommy Kaira edition and people all around TE bay can tell you it's here. The other is owned by a cop friend of mine. He owns a R35 and a registered CHP blue vinned R33 GTR. People who want to say illegal this and that doesn't know their facts.
So you worked for Scammy huh? When I was under his employ there was no R33's at all. Only cars he "worked" on, and the cars he stole parts from. The red incomplete Dodge Ram, the yellow Dodge Ram tow vehicle, the blue Charger SRT8 ( all three of those belonged to his friend though, were not his) The DA Integra coupe, the 240, three Evo's ( one repeatedly pillaged for parts for other's cars ) Jeremy's Legacy, the 335i, the H2 that belonged to his cousin, and a few assorted "customers" cars. Never a Skyline to be found. Before the move to SJ, and after. So, is this before the parts fiasco, or after there was no one left to scam?

*** Edit*** I have more dirt on Scammy than this.

Last edited by rau; 05-22-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:45 PM

Car Info: 2000 2.5rs
Don't worry INTERWEBS!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:47 PM
rau
Something Custom

Originally Posted by MonsterGC
Don't worry INTERWEBS!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by rau
yeah dont worry, we dont need to start another thread about Scammy, the infos out there,
Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 PM
rau
Something Custom

Originally Posted by Krinkov
yeah dont worry, we dont need to start another thread about Scammy, the infos out there,
Trust me, I know. And I wont.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:14 PM

Car Info: 1992 Skyline GTR BNR32
I have seen, sat in and started up the motor of this R34. very nice car and meticulously maintained and re-built. I almost bought this car but it does not have the CA CARB sticker which is needed to become a legal car in CA. This vehicle has applied for it but will most likely be rejected for it, making it illegal in CA. It can however be legally reg'd and driven in various other states like AZ, NV, TX, MO, and a few other states that do not have smog and safety requirements (i.e. airbags, etc).

I also know the cop referred to in previous posts that has an R33 here in the East Bay. He paid a pretty penny for that car and it was one of the legally brought in cars to the states that passed all of the requirements. once it passed, obtained the CARB sticker, and gets reg'd in CA, it is drive-able on public roads. And just because he is a cop won't stop ICE/Homeland Security from confiscating it - they may however show him professional courtesy and a pass.

I'm the guy who bought and currently owns an original 1992 Skyline R32. It is a motorex car that was brought in to the states legally and I have the paperwork from the US government and NHTSA to prove it -- legal in nearly every other state besides CA due to the smog and safety stuff.

I just finished getting my R32 reg'd in another state, re-titled in my name, and got the license plates for it yesterday. I am also in the process of getting full-coverage insurance for it based on a value of $50k and listed as a "collector car" for around $600/year (you read that right - $600 a YEAR).

My car is also going through some modifications such as a getrag 6-speed and swapping out for an original R34 motor (slightly better internals), new coilovers, custom-made wheels, brakes, etc.

the build and custom tune should be done by end of June by which time I do plan on it's maiden voyage from the shop to my home. I also plan to drive it to the track and drive the **** out of it.

bottom line is - there are ways to do this if you are creative and have patience. and all of this **** didn't cost me an arm, leg, left or right nut, or my first born.

Sigma Pi and InternationalB know their **** and knows the right guy for correct information so don't sweat them.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:18 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by dchoi23
I have seen, sat in and started up the motor of this R34. very nice car and meticulously maintained and re-built. I almost bought this car but it does not have the CA CARB sticker which is needed to become a legal car in CA. This vehicle has applied for it but will most likely be rejected for it, making it illegal in CA. It can however be legally reg'd and driven in various other states like AZ, NV, TX, MO, and a few other states that do not have smog and safety requirements (i.e. airbags, etc).

I also know the cop referred to in previous posts that has an R33 here in the East Bay. He paid a pretty penny for that car and it was one of the legally brought in cars to the states that passed all of the requirements. once it passed, obtained the CARB sticker, and gets reg'd in CA, it is drive-able on public roads. And just because he is a cop won't stop ICE/Homeland Security from confiscating it - they may however show him professional courtesy and a pass.

I'm the guy who bought and currently owns an original 1992 Skyline R32. It is a motorex car that was brought in to the states legally and I have the paperwork from the US government and NHTSA to prove it -- legal in nearly every other state besides CA due to the smog and safety stuff.

I just finished getting my R32 reg'd in another state, re-titled in my name, and got the license plates for it yesterday. I am also in the process of getting full-coverage insurance for it based on a value of $50k and listed as a "collector car" for around $600/year (you read that right - $600 a YEAR).

My car is also going through some modifications such as a getrag 6-speed and swapping out for an original R34 motor (slightly better internals), new coilovers, custom-made wheels, brakes, etc.

the build and custom tune should be done by end of June by which time I do plan on it's maiden voyage from the shop to my home. I also plan to drive it to the track and drive the **** out of it.

bottom line is - there are ways to do this if you are creative and have patience. and all of this **** didn't cost me an arm, leg, left or right nut, or my first born.

Sigma Pi and InternationalB know their **** and knows the right guy for correct information so don't sweat them.
I would add your name to the list of guys who know their **** at this point (especially having the wherewithal to buy collectors' insurance on it).
Old 05-23-2012, 07:05 AM

Car Info: 1992 Skyline GTR BNR32
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
I would add your name to the list of guys who know their **** at this point (especially having the wherewithal to buy collectors' insurance on it).
thanks for the compliment but compared to these guys and Mr Morris, I am an amateur
Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX

That is awesome!!! congrats

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
For sure he does

thanks for the compliment but compared to these guys and Mr Morris, I am an amateur
I know the basics of the basics, at this point I am 100% sure you know more than I do. But yeah that kiwi knows the most.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:17 PM

Car Info: 09 WRX/Something else NHTSA approved
Excuse me for invading your forum -- someone I know here tipped me off to it and suggested I clarify a few things. Kind of a *** first post, but sorry.

When Motorex crash tested the R33, they applied for a 'substantially similar' clause, asking the government to accept the R33 crash test data for the R32 and the R34. This was approved by the feds. Motorex began importing R32s, and R33s, and a few R34s, and the NHTSA was approving the modifications that they were claiming to have done to the cars. Not every car got handled right, but that is a different story.

In March-April of 2006, the federal government was all over Motorex and they rescinded the substantially similar clause, causing the R32 and R34 to be removed from the non-compliant but eligible list. The R33, 1996-1998 with dual airbag remains on that list today.

During those years, a handful of R32s and R34s were signed off and completed and the bond was released by the NHTSA.

Now, here's what seems to confuse everyone -- the law did not retroactively go back and make these previously legally imported cars illegal. This is a key point -- it prevented further import of cars, but the government did NOT apply this law change.

How do I know this? I have a letter from the NHTSA on my desk with the VIN of an R34 on it. It explains, over three paragraphs, that the law changed. And then it goes on to specifically EXCLUDE the VIN of the vehicle in question, stating that the car was imported in 2002 and complied with the 2002 laws, which is acceptable, and it is NOT AFFECTED by the legal status change in 2006. The car is about 20 feet away from me in my garage. I have spoken with the NHTSA OVSC office at length about this, and the text stands. They wrote it.

Here's the exact text:

After the notice of decision was published, the agency obtained information regarding Skyline vehicles from Nissan North America, Inc., the U.S. representative of the vehicles' original manufacturer. The information caused the agency to conclude that its decision to grand import eligibility to 1990-1999 Nissan Skyline vehicles was overly broad. As a consequence, the agency decided to rescind that decision in part, so that only R33 model Skyline vehicles manufactured between January 1, 1996 and June 30, 1998 remain eligible for importation. The agony's decision became effective on March 1, 2006.

Because the agency's decision to partially rescind import eligibility for Nissan Skyline vehicles is only effective prospectively, it does not affect the legality of the importation of the subject vehicle under the prior eligibility decision. Agency records reveal that the subject vehicle was lawfully imported into the United States by Motorex of Gardena, California, an RI whose registration was in active status at the time of the importation, but was revoked on February 15, 2006. NHTSA acknowledges receipt of a copy of the DOT conformance bond covering the subject vehicle that was furnished to Customs at the time of importation. You report that Motorex no longer responds to your requests for information on the status of your vehicle.

In view of the fact that you endeavored to lawfully import the subject vehicle and have it brought into compliance with all applicable FMVSS, but were frustrated in your ability to obtain release of the vehicle owing to factors largely beyond your control, the agency has, in light of the unique circumstances described above, decided to release the DOT Conformance bond covering the subject vehicle. This is consistent with the applicable statute, which provides that release of such a bond is not a decision by the agency that the subject vehicle complies with all applicable FMVSS. See 49 U.S.C. 30146(e). Before releasing a DOT conformance bond, the agency normally requires a demonstration that actions needed to bring the vehicle into compliance with all applicable FMVSS have been successfully completed. The agency is not doing so in this instance owning to the unique circumstances described above.
So, there it is, on government letterhead -- legally imported vehicles before 2006 are still legal if on record with the feds.

There are only 12-14 federally bond released R34s in the USA, so if you are forced to guess if a car is legal, you can pretty much guess that it isn't and be right, but these broad statements that ALL of these cars are illegal are just nonsense from people who weren't there and have never actually spoken to our feds about this.

The story is WAY longer than this when you include EPA and other hassles, but hopefully this shows you that people who shout about knowing the facts rarely have the whole story.

And, as a bonus, anyone can call the OVSC office with a VIN of a Skyline and find out if a bond release was issued for it, and if it was, you car request a copy and READ IT FOR YOURSELF.

Feel free to email any questions to me through the forum, I'd be glad to answer them.

Old 05-24-2012, 03:13 PM

Car Info: wrx wagon 05
he wins
Old 05-24-2012, 03:15 PM

Car Info: 2016 WRX, 2014 lifter forester XT, 2005 JDM207 WGN
You sir have a super sexy gtr!! What state do you reside in?

Quick Reply: R34 for sale in the bay area!!! I wish...