R34 for sale in the bay area!!! I wish...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Wow awesome first post, thanks!
Old 05-24-2012, 06:29 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by danox574
Excuse me for invading your forum -- someone I know here tipped me off to it and suggested I clarify a few things. Kind of a *** first post, but sorry.

When Motorex crash tested the R33, they applied for a 'substantially similar' clause, asking the government to accept the R33 crash test data for the R32 and the R34. This was approved by the feds. Motorex began importing R32s, and R33s, and a few R34s, and the NHTSA was approving the modifications that they were claiming to have done to the cars. Not every car got handled right, but that is a different story.

In March-April of 2006, the federal government was all over Motorex and they rescinded the substantially similar clause, causing the R32 and R34 to be removed from the non-compliant but eligible list. The R33, 1996-1998 with dual airbag remains on that list today.

During those years, a handful of R32s and R34s were signed off and completed and the bond was released by the NHTSA.

Now, here's what seems to confuse everyone -- the law did not retroactively go back and make these previously legally imported cars illegal. This is a key point -- it prevented further import of cars, but the government did NOT apply this law change.

How do I know this? I have a letter from the NHTSA on my desk with the VIN of an R34 on it. It explains, over three paragraphs, that the law changed. And then it goes on to specifically EXCLUDE the VIN of the vehicle in question, stating that the car was imported in 2002 and complied with the 2002 laws, which is acceptable, and it is NOT AFFECTED by the legal status change in 2006. The car is about 20 feet away from me in my garage. I have spoken with the NHTSA OVSC office at length about this, and the text stands. They wrote it.

Here's the exact text:

So, there it is, on government letterhead -- legally imported vehicles before 2006 are still legal if on record with the feds.

There are only 12-14 federally bond released R34s in the USA, so if you are forced to guess if a car is legal, you can pretty much guess that it isn't and be right, but these broad statements that ALL of these cars are illegal are just nonsense from people who weren't there and have never actually spoken to our feds about this.

The story is WAY longer than this when you include EPA and other hassles, but hopefully this shows you that people who shout about knowing the facts rarely have the whole story.

And, as a bonus, anyone can call the OVSC office with a VIN of a Skyline and find out if a bond release was issued for it, and if it was, you car request a copy and READ IT FOR YOURSELF.

Feel free to email any questions to me through the forum, I'd be glad to answer them.

any pics of the WRX?

and welcome aboard!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:53 AM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
Excuse me for invading your forum -- someone I know here tipped me off to it and suggested I clarify a few things. Kind of a *** first post, but sorry.

When Motorex crash tested the R33, they applied for a 'substantially similar' clause, asking the government to accept the R33 crash test data for the R32 and the R34. This was approved by the feds. Motorex began importing R32s, and R33s, and a few R34s, and the NHTSA was approving the modifications that they were claiming to have done to the cars. Not every car got handled right, but that is a different story.

In March-April of 2006, the federal government was all over Motorex and they rescinded the substantially similar clause, causing the R32 and R34 to be removed from the non-compliant but eligible list. The R33, 1996-1998 with dual airbag remains on that list today.

During those years, a handful of R32s and R34s were signed off and completed and the bond was released by the NHTSA.

Now, here's what seems to confuse everyone -- the law did not retroactively go back and make these previously legally imported cars illegal. This is a key point -- it prevented further import of cars, but the government did NOT apply this law change.

How do I know this? I have a letter from the NHTSA on my desk with the VIN of an R34 on it. It explains, over three paragraphs, that the law changed. And then it goes on to specifically EXCLUDE the VIN of the vehicle in question, stating that the car was imported in 2002 and complied with the 2002 laws, which is acceptable, and it is NOT AFFECTED by the legal status change in 2006. The car is about 20 feet away from me in my garage. I have spoken with the NHTSA OVSC office at length about this, and the text stands. They wrote it.

Here's the exact text:

So, there it is, on government letterhead -- legally imported vehicles before 2006 are still legal if on record with the feds.

There are only 12-14 federally bond released R34s in the USA, so if you are forced to guess if a car is legal, you can pretty much guess that it isn't and be right, but these broad statements that ALL of these cars are illegal are just nonsense from people who weren't there and have never actually spoken to our feds about this.

The story is WAY longer than this when you include EPA and other hassles, but hopefully this shows you that people who shout about knowing the facts rarely have the whole story.

And, as a bonus, anyone can call the OVSC office with a VIN of a Skyline and find out if a bond release was issued for it, and if it was, you car request a copy and READ IT FOR YOURSELF.

Feel free to email any questions to me through the forum, I'd be glad to answer them.

Thank you for that info. I'm glad you have a Scott free r-34. It is a good feeling.

The only thing this doesn't account for is the 2 personal friends I have that had bond released 33's that were taken by ice. Both were dual airbag 98's and both vins are on the bond release list.

This just proves that our government can't keep their facts straight, and will do whatever they want.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 05-29-2012, 01:29 AM

Car Info: 09 WRX/Something else NHTSA approved
Thanks guys. The car is in Michigan.

The WRX is boring, it's a stock appearing WRB 2009 hatch with Cobb tune and airbox and a cracked SPT exhaust. I have about 55,000mi on it as a daily. Needs more tune.

I'd really like to get in touch with your friends claiming their bond released R33s were taken by ICE. Honestly, I can't explain that, because I stay in touch with a large number of Skyline owners in the US (of all types), and people who have worked the legalization process back in the day, and this would be the first instance that any of them have heard of bond released vehicles being seized. We've followed up on a few of these stories and found other issues. There is one story of a bond released car being seized because the owner owed back taxes, so it was taken as an asset to cover debts.

What were their import years and did they get their bond releases from the RI or directly from the NHTSA after Mrex went under? Was Motorex the RI? There are 3-4 cars under a few other RIs at the time.

I've personally called the OVSC to verify a handful of 'Motorex' cars and found out that Motorex never actually filed the paperwork for them. The bond releases/VINs/receipt at seizure (were they sold at export?) would be helpful to some, as I maintain contact with someone who is participates in legal defense when people have run ins -- especially when someone in the US is the 2nd/3rd/4th owner of the car and doesn't know it's a car with import problems. Could help out other owners who have problems down the line.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:53 PM

Car Info: 1992 Skyline GTR BNR32
I'd really like to get in touch with your friends claiming their bond released R33s were taken by ICE. Honestly, I can't explain that, because I stay in touch with a large number of Skyline owners in the US (of all types), and people who have worked the legalization process back in the day, and this would be the first instance that any of them have heard of bond released vehicles being seized. We've followed up on a few of these stories and found other issues. There is one story of a bond released car being seized because the owner owed back taxes, so it was taken as an asset to cover debts.

What were their import years and did they get their bond releases from the RI or directly from the NHTSA after Mrex went under? Was Motorex the RI? There are 3-4 cars under a few other RIs at the time.

I've personally called the OVSC to verify a handful of 'Motorex' cars and found out that Motorex never actually filed the paperwork for them. The bond releases/VINs/receipt at seizure (were they sold at export?) would be helpful to some, as I maintain contact with someone who is participates in legal defense when people have run ins -- especially when someone in the US is the 2nd/3rd/4th owner of the car and doesn't know it's a car with import problems. Could help out other owners who have problems down the line.
I think some are referred to this article about Vandrel from skylineownersusa.com forum:

US Government Turns Up Heat on Skyline Owners
Old 05-30-2012, 12:16 PM
9 to 5 mod

Thanks guys. The car is in Michigan.

The WRX is boring, it's a stock appearing WRB 2009 hatch with Cobb tune and airbox and a cracked SPT exhaust. I have about 55,000mi on it as a daily. Needs more tune.

Are you following "big bird" right now?
Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by sigma pi
Are you following "big bird" right now?
Just read about that on Jalopnik. Thought the name Justin Beno sounded familiar and sure enough I sold him a set of R33 headlight for "Big Bird" back when he got it in 06!

Big Bird Skyline Going To The Crusher
Old 06-01-2012, 03:21 PM
9 to 5 mod

It has been crushed
Old 06-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
"Although Japan has been producing them since the 1950s, they haven't met American federal safety and emissions standards until recently."

I seriously declare bull**** towards that, I swear Japanese cars in their original form do not emit more than our US models esp on how strict they are with their smog and standards. What's american safety standards, fakjefonsldkfj. They should just not give a damn, have owners pay a tax or whatever if they want to drive it and not take blame if they crash. I bet there are more cars unsafe than skylines, or any other non us produced car.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Originally Posted by Heedz
"Although Japan has been producing them since the 1950s, they haven't met American federal safety and emissions standards until recently."

I seriously declare bull**** towards that, I swear Japanese cars in their original form do not emit more than our US models esp on how strict they are with their smog and standards. What's american safety standards, fakjefonsldkfj. They should just not give a damn, have owners pay a tax or whatever if they want to drive it and not take blame if they crash. I bet there are more cars unsafe than skylines, or any other non us produced car.
You know it's really just all about protecting the domestic auto industry.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Choku Dori
how does not selling their cars in other country help Nissan at all?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:20 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Krinkov
how does not selling their cars in other country help Nissan at all?
No no no, I mean the American federal safety and emissions standards. They're being used as a means to protect the domestic American auto industry.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:27 AM

ok I had it backwards
Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Originally Posted by Choku Dori
Exactly which is BS. Although everything else is Chinese made or answered by an Indian. They're just scared man, just scared.

ok I had it backwards
You sir made it harder for us to bring these cars because you supported the domestic car industry, going backwards :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Although if buying domestic, it would be one of my top choices.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:29 PM
VIP Member

ok I had it backwards
That's what she said! Wait...

Originally Posted by Heedz
Exactly which is BS. Although everything else is Chinese made or answered by an Indian.
Well, that's a little different -- that's American companies making money off cheap overseas labor. The only money to be made off imported products is taxes and tariffs; cheap labor is all about maximizing profits by cutting down on salaries and benefits, all while collecting the same prices for (often inferior compared to domestically-made or provided) products and services from consumers. In that sense, American corporations are double-dipping and we consumers are once again the losers.

Quick Reply: R34 for sale in the bay area!!! I wish...