The Official Bay Area Beer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2018 Golf R Variant
Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
I saw the Rogue Dead Guy Ale at the local *** Hill Foods. I also discovered that there is a BevMo mere miles from me

Needless to say, I'll be trying some Rogue soon (even though I'm trying to do my part to stimulate the CA economy by buying tons of Stone and Sierra Nevada).

Oh, and I guess the diet is off Rob?
I'm guessing that is the one at Mary/El Camino? That one is huge and where I bought my first new TV back when it was Good Guys... That one is pretty good, worlds better than the two that are near me.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:48 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Originally Posted by wombatsauce
I'm guessing that is the one at Mary/El Camino? That one is huge and where I bought my first new TV back when it was Good Guys... That one is pretty good, worlds better than the two that are near me.
I didn't see what the cross street was, but it must be Mary because it's a few blocks from 85.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:54 PM
VIP Member

I don't think I've heard of those either. There is a bar in Monterey that has 7 Sierras on tap as well. Unfortunately it's a wannabe club is I cannot stand the staff/atmosphere/patrons
The blonde was great especially in the heat. The pilsner was good too but a pilsner has to slap you in the face to stand out.

That place sounds lame. There are so many good places to get beer, even around my place. Oh - Devil's Canyon just came out with an Amber Ale that is really good - found it on tap at Jersey Joe's and Mervin Gardens so far.

Oh yeah - this friday is Beer Friday at Devil's Canyon in Belmont!! Last friday of every month, first beer is $8, keep the glass, all others are $3.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:58 PM
VIP Member

I didn't see what the cross street was, but it must be Mary because it's a few blocks from 85.
That's the one. Grab a bottle of Rogue's Imperial IPA if you get a chance, comes in a cool bottle and it's GREAT. Haven't seen it too many other places. They also often have Deschute's special brews.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:59 PM
VIP Member

The blonde was great especially in the heat. The pilsner was good too but a pilsner has to slap you in the face to stand out.

That place sounds lame. There are so many good places to get beer, even around my place. Oh - Devil's Canyon just came out with an Amber Ale that is really good - found it on tap at Jersey Joe's and Mervin Gardens so far.

Oh yeah - this friday is Beer Friday at Devil's Canyon in Belmont!! Last friday of every month, first beer is $8, keep the glass, all others are $3.
If I didn't have to be at work at 5:45 on Saturday, I'd be all over that!
Old 07-29-2009, 10:52 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Just bought some Suwerk Marzen. It's made in Davis, Ca.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:56 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX - Stage 2 and EQ Tuned!
Drinking a glass of Dead Guy Ale right now.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, You've Probably Never Heard Of Me.

Car Info: 345/30/19s
Originally Posted by Turbo Rob
Drinking a glass of Dead Guy Ale right now.

nice! Good brew, and I can see that brewery here in northbeach from my balcony
Old 08-05-2009, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Drinking a DT at the moment, but I also tried an Orval earlier (discovering Pleepeus will be quite a drain on the the bank account, I also decided to try a bottle of Prosecco Spumante that's currently chilling in da fridge)...The Orval SUCKED, I'm guessing I got a bad bottle as it literally tasted like plastic. It smelled fine, but tasted like plastic flavored ***. Does this happen often with Orval?
Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SolSurferX
Drinking a DT at the moment, but I also tried an Orval earlier (discovering Pleepeus will be quite a drain on the the bank account, I also decided to try a bottle of Prosecco Spumante that's currently chilling in da fridge)...The Orval SUCKED, I'm guessing I got a bad bottle as it literally tasted like plastic. It smelled fine, but tasted like plastic flavored ***. Does this happen often with Orval?
I still need to get my own pleepleus! Speaking of Prosecco, I want to try out some of the different wines featured on Three Sheets.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:10 PM

Car Info: 2008 specB
Bevmo has numerous different kinds of Prosecco, but just like was mentioned you have to look to see where it is from. The one I bought was the only kind that was actually made in one of the two towns mentioned (I bought one from Valdobbiadene). Most just said "made with Prosecco grapes", and most were the less fizzy version frizante rather than spumanti.

I'll run down all the details when I open the bottle here in a little bit...
---> Nino Franco, Rustico 11% Alc.
So it really does just taste like bubbly white wine, not like champagne at all. It's good, but nothing special. I'd take a good dry champagne instead.

Last edited by SolSurferX; 08-05-2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Spelling and Taste.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

Ugh....

So I go to More Beer last weekend to get the stuff for my Cherry Stout. They surprisingly have dark liquid extract, so I grab that, along with the steeping grains. Then I get to the black malt container..... empty... I pay for what I have and decide to go back later (today) to get the black malt. In the meantime I make a yeast starter since the recipe says the gravity is supposed to be 1.068. A fly lands in the yeast starter so I decide its better to toss out $7 of yeast rather than contaminate $60+ of beer ingredients.

So I go back today. On my way there I remember I also forgot the gypsum the other day. I get there, get the black malt. They are out of gypsum... I run over to Fermentation Solutions in Campbell and get that. Then I go to CJ Olson (the only place that had sour cherries when I was sourcing ingredients) and they are out of sour cherries... for the season
Old 08-23-2009, 11:06 AM
VIP Member

Just tested my Blonde Ale last night - made from a kit from MoreBeer but I also added .25lb of flaked barley. It's a week early and it's SOFA KING good!! If you have ever tried Devil's Canyon's "Silicon Blonde" this has a similar flavor though it's lighter and the malt punch is backed off a bit. If this were an all-grain brew it might just taste really close. Anyway, good times because my Kolsch did not turn out... This was supposed to be a light summer ale but came out quite dark, like a thick Newcastle. I am planning on throwing it out but it's so hard to trash beer... I have something like 30 bottles of it left. It's not bad but I don't like it. We'll see. It's gotten better the longer it's sat in bottles but still..

Oh also another thing I did differently with the Blonde was to leave it in the fermenter for 1 month. A friend suggested this, and I was not going to do it until I forgot about the fermenter and did it anyway! Yay for overbooking and being out of town... Anyway, a friend has a beer that has been in the fermenter for 3 months and he said he is about to bottle it. Something about evening out the flavors...
Old 08-23-2009, 11:37 AM
VIP Member

Just tested my Blonde Ale last night - made from a kit from MoreBeer but I also added .25lb of flaked barley. It's a week early and it's SOFA KING good!! If you have ever tried Devil's Canyon's "Silicon Blonde" this has a similar flavor though it's lighter and the malt punch is backed off a bit. If this were an all-grain brew it might just taste really close. Anyway, good times because my Kolsch did not turn out... This was supposed to be a light summer ale but came out quite dark, like a thick Newcastle. I am planning on throwing it out but it's so hard to trash beer... I have something like 30 bottles of it left. It's not bad but I don't like it. We'll see. It's gotten better the longer it's sat in bottles but still..

Oh also another thing I did differently with the Blonde was to leave it in the fermenter for 1 month. A friend suggested this, and I was not going to do it until I forgot about the fermenter and did it anyway! Yay for overbooking and being out of town... Anyway, a friend has a beer that has been in the fermenter for 3 months and he said he is about to bottle it. Something about evening out the flavors...
Which kit was it? By the way, the light ale kit from MB turned out pretty well after sitting in the bottle for 5 weeks (the instructions said 2).

30 bottles left? What size bottles and batches are you doing?

Next time I should use a blow off tube just to be safe
Name:  DSC04123.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  42.1 KB

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 08-23-2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:56 PM
VIP Member

So after I posted that picture I went back and checked on the stout... krausen was already getting into the airlock

Quick Reply: The Official Bay Area Beer Thread